Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

From Mattresses to Disability Benefits, Three Olives Has Opinions

The solution in life is apparently be a gold digger, whether with your daddy or your husband lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Gotta say, 'disabled people don't deserve luxuries' was not a take I was expecting today. 3O hasn't even been back a full 24 hours yet and already trying to make up for lost time, i see.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Both the statements "income support benefits should be higher across the board" and "there are legitimate reasons not to linearly scale benefits to household size" can be true at the same time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Disabled people just deserve to be penalized for getting married to each other in a way nobody else is apparently.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FMguru posted:

Yeah, stories where big developments happen in real time as updates or in the comments section always get my "this is a creative writing exercise" antennae twitching.

I wonder if any of those have ever given up the act after being called out on it. "Ahhh okay thread you got me, I wasn't actually live FaceTiming with my fiancee who I cheated on with her high school bully, but it was a good run, right?"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Gotta say, 'disabled people don't deserve luxuries' was not a take I was expecting today. 3O hasn't even been back a full 24 hours yet and already trying to make up for lost time, i see.

People can chose to spend their money however they want, but if we made a decision to calculate how much they get my how much it cost them to put a roof over their head and that reduces by half overnight, how is that fair to people that can't find a romantic partner to cohabitate with?

I completely believe in restructuring our disability system to make it more generous but gaming the system because of your social mobility and connections doesn't seem fair.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Disabled people just deserve to be penalized for getting married to each other in a way nobody else is apparently.

Ask like 95% of divorced people if they feel they were not financially penalized by getting married because of their financial situation before and after marriage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reducing your living expenses by getting roommates is only allowed if you don't actually like them, sorry

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Three Olives posted:

There is an entire discussion to be had about SSDI benefits, but marriage and especially cohabitating absolutely reduces living expenses by A LOT. Massive government programs are complicated but I'm pretty sure this whole prevision was designed so if you are both living on survival income in 1 bedroom apartments and move in together in a 1 bedroom apartment you don't get to use the extra money to buy an Playstation. SSDI is not earned income, it's money so you don't you (hopefully) end up on the streets. Like, your social security benefit doesn't decrease because you get married, you earned it by paying into it, SSDI is what you need, regardless of what you have paid, to not live under a bridge eating cat food.

Maybe you should shut the gently caress up instead of acting like if the poors get even a little bit more money they'll waste it all on PlayStations and we have to stop them to make sure that doesn't happen. You know you're repeating the talking points of the same people who want to put you in a re-education camp, right?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
3O was born into money and then married money, please stop arguing with him as if he understands how money works lol

Most of his posts are either talking about things he bought, or being judgemental about his partner's taste in furniture I guess, and talking about the money people around him have. It's not really going to be worthwhile discussing money with someone who doesn't understand how it works tbh.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hey three olives can I have some money?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Both the statements "income support benefits should be higher across the board" and "there are legitimate reasons not to linearly scale benefits to household size" can be true at the same time.

THIS.

I'm not saying the benefits are fair, I am saying that there are incredibly obvious reasons why a married couple would have significantly lowered expenses and that it is reasonable to account for that. Like someone said "luxury items", when I got married, my insurance went down in cost significantly, is a car a "luxury item". Think carefully.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think you have amnesia or you're an idiot.

3 Olive posted:

you don't get to use the extra money to buy an Playstation

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I think you have amnesia or you're an idiot.

Yes, I had to look it up, I would define a $400 gaming machine with an average cost of $60 per game a pretty extreme luxury item, even by my standards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm genuinely pretty sure it's a eugenics policy. Those used to be all the rage and were only repealed if they were too obvious.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Yes, I had to look it up, I would define a $400 gaming machine with an average cost of $60 per game a pretty extreme luxury item, even by my standards.

The point was you making the assumption of everyone using the assumedly abundant money to buy PlayStations ya dingus. You don't know what you're talking about, you're a disingenuous idiot who talks with an air of superiority despite being ignorant as gently caress hth

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

My high school’s theatre group arranged for a trip to NYC. We saw some shows, explored, did touristy stuff, and probably had way more freedom than high school kids from the Oregon sticks on a trip to NYC would nowadays.

Anyway, one thing the theatre teacher organized was a Q&A with a (not lead) actress from the Lion King show on Broadway (which we also saw, it was a little much in that usual Disney way).

She came in and said that even though she was working full time on a Broadway production, she was living paycheck-to-paycheck with roommates and barely getting by, and that anyone who wanted to pursue acting as a career basically had to account for holding down a not-acting job as well since in all likelihood it wasn’t going to work out.

I really wish that Q&A would have been available to the kids who didn’t go on that trip, because it likely would have changed some life choices.

One of the guys in my college theatre class had a life goal of getting in a show or two in Chicago and then being someone's princess forever.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Three Olives posted:

People can chose to spend their money however they want, but if we made a decision to calculate how much they get my how much it cost them to put a roof over their head and that reduces by half overnight, how is that fair to people that can't find a romantic partner to cohabitate with?

I completely believe in restructuring our disability system to make it more generous but gaming the system because of your social mobility and connections doesn't seem fair.

I hope you grow tastebuds in your arsehole you gigantic sack of poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of these people make sense when you realise they don't really picture being an actor in movies, they picture being a character in a movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m just curious, what brought you back after a few years away?

Every time you post in this thread without answering this question you’ll get a six-hour probation you garrulous shitbox.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also

Three Olives posted:

but gaming the system because of your social mobility and connections doesn't seem fair.

You literally brag about doing exactly this, so it's kind of gross that you think it's not okay for the poors to do so.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

re: marathon lady

As someone who occasionally runs for exercise (usually a 5k three times a week when I do, followed by months if not years at a time where I am too lazy for that), I agree that 1) it's hella disingenuous for her to claim she ran a marathon and 2) it's... not something to brag about over a yearly period. :psyduck:

Running a wholeass marathon is hard and it's a genuine feat! I have a friend who's run marathons and he's way more fit and cool than me, for instance, and I can't imagine claiming I've run one when I haven't. I don't think I will ever run one. Maybe I could with lots of training and willpower, and I definitely do not have the willpower. A lot of people can barely run one mile, nevermind 26 in a row!

For me, I went from struggling to run a mile in gym class to doing the couch25k in a summer and learning that it is, in fact, possible for me to run thirty minutes straight! Personally had the SiL just talked about something like that I think it would still have been impressive without lying to herself and everyone around her.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

From Mattresses to Disability Benefits, Three Olives Has Opinions

and i need to keep reading them even having them blocked cause people keep engaging UGH

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Can't believe I could have been stealing Valor - I've cumulatively walked a marathon in the last couple of weeks and I'm not very active (just a regular walk at lunch)

So to take a year is like, a really long time

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Every time you post in this thread without answering this question you’ll get a six-hour probation you garrulous shitbox.

this is why you're the best

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kitfox88 posted:

and i need to keep reading them even having them blocked cause people keep engaging UGH

Ignore them anyways. Be free. :angel:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

It's going to depend on their state and their exact situation, but them officially getting married could reduce their combined benefits by 25%.

Paper from the Social Security Administration discussing this: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/issuepapers/ip2003-01.html
Article walking through various kinds of benefits and which ones may or may not be impacted by marriage: https://www.specialneedsalliance.org/the-voice/what-happens-when-persons-living-with-disabilities-marry-2/

Also, if you click through the first link you might notice the weird phrasing of "found to be representing themselves as husband and wife." That's the extra hosed up thing with marriage and disability benefits. You don't even need to be legally married to get penalized. The reduction of benefits is a well known enough thing that a lot of disabled couples will cohabitate with no intentions to legally marry, and some American government programs decided to close that potential loophole. If an outside party would reasonably believe the couple are spouses, they may be treated as such for the purposes of benefits.

So grandma thinks she found this One Weird Trick to keep their full benefits, but if anyone with authority ever pays attention it's going to be treated the same. Just without any of the legal benefits of marriage.

This entire post is basically in support of everything you have posted above.

A couple of decades ago, when I worked at a vet’s office, a disabled couple brought their cat to us. At one visit, we were chatting and they mentioned that they had to get a divorce in order to receive more disability support for the wheelchair-bound spouse. I’m guessing they needed the actual divorce decree documentation in order to receive that support since we are in a common law state. I don’t know if the policies had recently changed or if they just got a competent new case manager that was actively looking for anything that they could enroll in to help them out.

They were very upset that they had to legally no longer be married due the severity of their medical disabilities. This statement doesn’t really cover how emotionally hurtful being forced to be legally divorced, in order to receive necessary medical support, was to them.

Btw, per 3O’s belief about poor and disabled people leveraging their social connections :confused::They were not “gaming” the system and they had only enough extra money to bring their cat in monthly for flea treatment. They lived in a low-income apartment a block away and no one else in those apartments treated their pets. The one in the wheelchair held the cat carrier in their lap on the way over. Ain’t nobody buying a car or a PlayStation in that household.

Bored fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Please just loving ban three olives, nobody likes him, he adds nothing to any discussion except make people angry by being a loving idiot moneyed loser. He's like elon musk except lamer and poorer, and gay.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Biplane posted:

Please just loving ban three olives, nobody likes him, he adds nothing to any discussion except make people angry by being a loving idiot moneyed loser. He's like elon musk except lamer and poorer, and gay.

He owns a condo though

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

Come now. Three Olives didn't set 44 billion dollars on fire in order to look at Grimes's DMs.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Captain Fargle posted:

Come now. Three Olives didn't set 44 billion dollars on fire in order to look at Grimes's DMs.

Yeah so he's objectively less funny.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain Fargle posted:

Only because Grimes’s DMs would clash with the settee in the second living room

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Only because Grimes’s DMs would clash with the settee in the second living room

And by the time this is all over that settee will still be worth more than twitter.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thank you.

Three Olives, when you get old and have no one to take care of you, because absolutely no one gives judgmental old men the time of day, I hope you end up under a bridge eating cat food

Probably tho, you'll end up in some beige nightmare of an old folk's home, which maybe is even worse for you. Passing time until you die in the place with the worst taste you can imagine, and you're paying to be there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

A lot of people here absolutely need to understand that we need characters like 3 olives to walk around on rakes in order to keep the thread full of dumb nerds to laugh at.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

No we fuckin' don't. We got by just fine for ages without him; there's nerds to dunk on aplenty from AITA.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No we fuckin' don't. We got by just fine for ages without him; there's nerds to dunk on aplenty from AITA.

Why not both? Why limit the fun?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Whatever, I'm still laying my worst curse upon him, which is that whatever he hopes for the afterlife, may he discover the opposite. Three Olives, if you hope for heaven or hell or whathaveyou, may there be oblivion for you, you're nothing once your life is over. And if you hope for oblivion to free you, may fatiguing, endless, inescapable eternal life await you. Whatever you need to put yourself to rest at the end of things, may that be denied, and may you live in dread for this Sword of Damocles because from now on, the only way you can know it won't actually happen is to wait until the moment of your death and see.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 13, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic performed by blind-rear end Mr. Magoo than deliberately keep 3O around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

Why would Reddit recommend that she get divorced? She's the rear end in a top hat here.

I’m sorry, he said no and she picked her kids up from camp. How does that make her the rear end in a top hat?