Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

takako should make friends with a spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey it's Duck and Cover

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Th-thankyou wizard master

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

One day Whizzmastur, you'll be assassinated in a freak case of Kremlin misidentification.
Your online presence will be hastily faked with a weak AI to detract attention and no one on earth will note the difference.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this one only needs panels 1 and 4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I'd like to see a thought process that went into this. That's clearly not using chatGPT, so does he claim that it does to protect himself from criticism or what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ddamn turns out a wizard master comic sucks poo poo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been working, very slowly, on a comic for my kid. At the time I started this she was obsessed with the Korean folk tales I told her for bedtime stories, and there was one in particular she wanted to hear over and over.

I hit a wall a couple months ago when I started a new job and also a couple of other side projects, but I'm still chipping away at it bit by bit. I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year but if not, then her next birthday.

Here's the first three pages! I'll post the next batch whenever they're done.

Sister Sun and Brother Moon

there's a typo in this one that has since been corrected

hah I just noticed this is the version where I added the black+white spots on the back of the ears--I liked how they looked but took them back out because when I tried to go back and add them to the previous pages I couldn't get it to look right

You may notice the pages shrinking. That's because for the first two pages, I misunderstood which were the actual crop marks--the third page is the size it's supposed to actually be

Also, if you like art timelapses as much as I do, I've got timelapses up of pages 1 and 2 so far

e: spoiler tags if you already know how it goes!

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jul 13, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

god bless wizard master as wizard master blesses this thread

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mx. posted:

god bless wizard master as wizard master blesses this thread

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've been working, very slowly, on a comic for my kid. At the time I started this she was obsessed with the Korean folk tales I told her for bedtime stories, and there was one in particular she wanted to hear over and over.

I hit a wall a couple months ago when I started a new job and also a couple of other side projects, but I'm still chipping away at it bit by bit. I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year but if not, then her next birthday.

Here's the first three pages! I'll post the next batch whenever they're done.

there's a typo in this one that has since been corrected

hah I just noticed this is the version where I added the black+white spots on the back of the ears--I liked how they looked but took them back out because when I tried to go back and add them to the previous pages I couldn't get it to look right

You may notice the pages shrinking. That's because for the first two pages, I misunderstood which were the actual crop marks--the third page is the size it's supposed to actually be

Also, if you like art timelapses as much as I do, I've got timelapses up of pages 1 and 2 so far

e: spoiler tags if you already know how it goes!

this is really great, looking forward to seeing more!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tigers used to smoke? Have they moved on to patches or something?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Emzedoh posted:

it got too expensive to keep up the habit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Yeah they 'quit' smoking a while ago but honestly are even more irritating

Tyger Tyger puffing vape
In the forest funging ape

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

This is looking good so far, you've got a really good sense of panelling and visual storytelling. Looking forward to the rest!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Tyger Tyger puffing vape

Turns out the fearful symmetry is the novelty transparent plastic vape pen they bought.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ditocoaf posted:

Wow. Monya The Grey started out seeming like a silly inconsequential thing, just "what if a Japanese author mashed up Wizard of Oz and a Baba Yaga-esqe character to have a meet-cute". The tone shift as it's gone on has probably taken me by surprise more than any other I've ever experienced, and this last update really accelerated that.

I'm not sure it holds together as a whole: the contrast might actually be too much. The experience of that tone shift is definitely exciting and fun, but considering how I was reading those early chapters only with minimal investment, as a trifle, I feel like this huge dramatic ending wasted in a way -- I feel retroactively that it'd be better if I'd been more invested in the characters and world than I actually was until the second half. But like, I was about as invested as seemed reasonable for a story where Dorothy and Baba Yaga's Granddaughter went through a silly parody of some pop culture riffs.

It's weird to have such an equally positive and negative opinion of the same twist, but that's where I'm at.

Huh, I think I feel the exact opposite. I abhor "the hero must choose between one beloved innocent and countless innocent strangers" plotlines; I think they're hackneyed and a cheap source of emotional drama, and if I see them coming I lose all interest in the relationship. I was invested in these two because it was just a whimsical low stakes meet-cute and I absolutely did not see it coming. I'm actually mad at the author for pulling the twist, which is not necessarily criticism because it means I am emotionally invested.

I think it still comes out to an equal positive and negative opinion for me as well, but for the opposite reasons, which is cool.

This is also cool. Please keep the ear spots; it is very important to me that tigers are accurately portrayed as having cute fluffy ears.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

vyelkin posted:

K6BD is cool but I honestly have no clue what is supposed to be happening in half the panels and I forgot who half these characters are by the time they appeared 500 pages later for this big fight so it's a nice spectacle but feels kinda weightless.

Its allison and/or her girlfriend and her girlfriend and her girlfriend and her friend thats a girl

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

little bit more wizard master

lol the guy hosed a sentient frog

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Capsule

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This is the Valhalla album I owned as a kid (loaned the others once or twice from library) and it's nice to see how both art and writing get really solid here. Love the little gags in the small speech bubbles.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

little bit more wizard master

lol the guy hosed a sentient frog

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Donald Duck - Paperinik and the Basement Troubles

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Something I like about Monya is that on reread it's packed with hints about what is coming, and the buildup of the darker tone is clearly happening all along.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
kind of weird that the world just goes back to normal, you'd think there'd be some kind of consequences for the earth or god

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
It's been so long since the last Wizard Master-ing that you got me this time!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

kind of weird that the world just goes back to normal, you'd think there'd be some kind of consequences for the earth or god

the consequence is that the devil merged with one of the office workers

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons
cw: nudity, I guess, gore

Alt: ...

quote:

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

There's a book with this premise I remember from around 2nd or 3rd grade or so. Narrated from the perspective of the lady frog, I remember thinking the ending was really bittersweet:

Now, on to Prince Valiant. Today: Gawain gets his rear end stuck in a bucket

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (May 19-26, 1940)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Looking at the publication dates for those and imagining one newspaper containing both news of the Nazi invasion of France and Gawain getting his rear end stuck in a bucket

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Cliffhangers in Prince Valiant:
* Does Val have what takes to rally a shattered nation against an unstoppable invading force?
* Can Slith turn his back on his days of robbing and looting to win his true love's heart?
* Will Gawain get his rear end out of the bucket?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

step-squire what are you doing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PYF Comic: Nevermind, I hate it now!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mx. posted:

this is really great, looking forward to seeing more!

NAG posted:

This is looking good so far, you've got a really good sense of panelling and visual storytelling. Looking forward to the rest!
Thank you! It's my first serious attempt at drawing anything that isn't bored classroom notebook doodles

e:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This is also cool. Please keep the ear spots; it is very important to me that tigers are accurately portrayed as having cute fluffy ears.
I will take another stab at adding them! I do like the way they look better than the plain orange ears

Tunicate posted:

Tyger Tyger puffing vape

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 13, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

But mostly I'm just sleeping

OH GOD I NEED DIS

This is my bucket. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Two sleeves is too many; that's melon time you're wastin'

((((((((wtf-is this))))))))

I've gone too far too soon

ya broke me herpetologist's wand

Release the fruits

This bun cleft, bereft.

Take the wheel, Shoelace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kit Walker posted:

cw: nudity, I guess, gore

I figure that one is a more a CW for delimbing than for nudity.