Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The idea that Bed Bath and Beyond is going to rise from the grave and take on loving Amazon is just a galaxy brained moron idea. Amazon spent the last decade slowly murdering BBBY and every other brick and mortar retailer but somehow they're actually an 800lb gorilla waiting in the wings.

Not to mention BBBY absolute refused to adopt new business' practices and adapt, they killed themselves much like Sears did. There's no way they come back against Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The hilarious thing is that right now is exactly the time to take on amazon and its lovely dropshipped counterfeit-invested inventory, but every retailer that could have the logistics to do it has been too busy gutting itself hollow chasing idiotic quarterly goals

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

The hilarious thing is that right now is exactly the time to take on amazon and its lovely dropshipped counterfeit-invested inventory, but every retailer that could have the logistics to do it has been too busy gutting itself hollow chasing idiotic quarterly goals

BBBY was pricey even when they were 'bargain', that's the hilarious part. They cannot compete both in quality and price for some of the even crappiest amazon brands.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

HappyHippo posted:

There's still a reddit for Sears hangers-on: https://www.reddit.com/r/SearsForever/

Guy comes into this sub and asked how to buy Sears stock.

Should have sent a poet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

his failed attempt to buy the dead movie theater is worthy of a film adaption

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 12, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
My only experience with Bed Bath and Beyond in the last 5 years was going there to return something that was purchased through their website and they had literally zero idea how to handle a return. They eventually did a charge-back and hand wrote a case number on a slip of paper to hold onto in case there was a problem, but it took 20 minutes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The bait phase is the most interesting to me. Where it's like let's meet up and I'll tell you all about this thing, Which in any other circumstance I am not willing to tell you about.

It's so scummy. Someone I know got roped in to a different one by his relative, and he quickly realized it was making people dislike him because ok you reach out to someone from school or whatever and ask them to coffee and they're thinking "oh that's nice he wants to reconnect" and then their face falls when they find out you just want their money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I bought a pressure cooker at BBAB and used it to sterilize jars to make shrooms with. The bedding was all overpriced so I swerved that poo poo.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Serious_Cyclone posted:

My only experience with Bed Bath and Beyond in the last 5 years was going there to return something that was purchased through their website and they had literally zero idea how to handle a return. They eventually did a charge-back and hand wrote a case number on a slip of paper to hold onto in case there was a problem, but it took 20 minutes.

a friend of mine has the horrible habit of not doing any research on anything she wants to buy, instead just buying 10 different versions of something online and then returning 9 of them. she's been banned from returning anything to bed bath or buy buy baby

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HappyHippo posted:

There's still a reddit for Sears hangers-on: https://www.reddit.com/r/SearsForever/

real talk, I wish Sears would make a comeback in online form like their old catalogs.

Imagine buying a Craftsman socket set and a whole rear end house to be delivered via rail car all in one session.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just like that their amazing vision of this new gamestop+bed bath and beyond mega store was it being in the metaverse, where you could wear vr goggles and, this is the amazing part, shop in the store before it was open! Unbelievable! Just imagine, being able to buy things from home at any time of day, truly revolutionary. But with vr too.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

more falafel please posted:

she's been banned from returning anything to bed bath or buy buy baby

Well that won't be a problem for much longer

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

HappyHippo posted:

jfc I peeked at it and some dude last week said he had GME and BBBY and wanted to find a way to buy some Sears stock, like he's collecting worthless shares as a hobby or something

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If they mean buying some old physical stock certificates on the cheap that'd be a pretty neat scrapbook of the failures of capitalism

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

It's so scummy. Someone I know got roped in to a different one by his relative, and he quickly realized it was making people dislike him because ok you reach out to someone from school or whatever and ask them to coffee and they're thinking "oh that's nice he wants to reconnect" and then their face falls when they find out you just want their money.

Exactly. I feel odd asking anyone to hang out if my intent is to not hang out. Like what the gently caress?

Hey Vitalsigns, great to see you! How you been the last 5 years. Got any money that I can have?

Pretty sure that's when the record skips and people nope the gently caress out most of the time, but I bet there's a whole practice of sob stories and tough scenarios and this and that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HappyHippo posted:

They also think the taxpayers are going to give them their billions once the "hedgies" go bankrupt.

(from a thread where they're predicting $100,000 a share)

hahaha, someone's never heard of counterparty risk. the feds foot the bill, why? because i'm really, really sincere in my wish to be richer than everyone else

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sentient Data posted:

If they mean buying some old physical stock certificates on the cheap that'd be a pretty neat scrapbook of the failures of capitalism

My dad (retired public prosecutor) had a scam stock certificate from one of his cases hanging in his office. I wonder if he still has it.

He had a few simple rules for spotting companies likely to be fraudulent, like
- being registered in Delaware (this is Germany)
- having a post office box but no street address
- having a single room office with a Telex (this was long before the internet)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

HappyHippo posted:

Well that won't be a problem for much longer

i've tried to tell her that the stuff she returns is 90% of the time thrown directly in a landfill and written off but she's convinced they must repackage and sell it at full price again because "why wouldn't they"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Should have sent a poet.

Oh yeah the guy who destroyed Sears (Eddy Lampert) is definitely going to rise from the ashes with it to compete with Amazon, they just need to buy some BBBY first :lol:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Can I at least sell an nft of the nonstick pan I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond?

Non-functional Teflon.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Should have sent a poet.

lol lmao when fast eddie lampert's your savior

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do the BBBY reddit types use the same diamond hand paper hand HODL language as coiners?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zwabu posted:

Do the BBBY reddit types use the same diamond hand paper hand HODL language as coiners?

they're the same people

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Zwabu posted:

A lot of them are coiners; gamestop will use blockchain to ??? Replace the stock market and ??? Blockchain will be the new banking under our lord Icahn and TEDDY where everything will be honest forever as companies like sears will be reborn from the ashes of being unfairly crushed by the hedgies (companies never fail, they are only defeated in mortal combat against the great evil of the stockmarket) as code is law, and code is also 20% off towels

Honestly in regards to creative writing, the mid stuff tends to be more throwaways and short - the truly unhinged teddy bear coded messages gangstalker level of MAKE THE CONNECTIONS that looks like it should be straight trolling? They all tend to be the ones with years of consistent account history. It’s a level of stonks and coiners that exceeds the “parody is more sane than reality” threshold.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

eddie lampert putting these idiots idealogy into practical reality and giving a clear case study in how backwards and awful it is becoming their messiah

man that's some sort of brain rot.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I've spent a lot of time on the bbby reddit, I estimate around 10% trolling and the rest a cocktail of greed, dunning-kruger, and mental illness. There is kind of a natural filtering effect where as the losses mount, it drives out anyone with a semblance of sanity more and more until only the truly broken are left. And the ones that leave don't go "hey guys I was with you but we were all totally wrong this whole time," they just quietly leave, so the true believers don't really see negative feedback.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 12, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

mega dy posted:

I've spent a lot of time on the bbby reddit, I estimate around 10% trolling and the rest a cocktail of greed, dunning-kruger, and mental illness. There is kind of a natural filtering effect where as the losses mount, it drives out anyone with a semblance of sanity more and more until only the truly broken are left. And the ones that leave don't go "hey guys I was with you but we were all totally wrong this whole time," they just quietly leave, so the true believers don't really see negative feedback.

imagine getting so high on your own farts that you die like it's a fentanyl overdose.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

JohnCompany posted:

Can I at least sell an nft of the nonstick pan I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond?

Non-functional Teflon.

Buttcoin: Non-Functional Teflon

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sentient Data posted:

Part of what’s fueling this has to be that general thing right now where it feels like every service is just getting worse. Faced with what seems like decline that they can’t do anything about, people reach out for a belief system that says they can change things for the better, and they’ll get rich and powerful and everyone will think they’re smart.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I remembered that a few goons in the finance forum made money off the gamestop squeeze but the real question is if even more dumbass goons threw more money into the pile after the price peaked. Did this happen? I remember explicitly telling them that if they were reading about it this late they had lost out on the opportunity.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like a more complicated but stupid scam happened.

https://twitter.com/RevokeCash/status/1677950707104894977

This is good for Bitcoin?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love the lack of any kind of explanation of what they mean, especially given the scare quotes

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
oooo, great thread on how crypto hooks people, and this absolutely does. https://twitter.com/edels0n/status/1678851556337242112

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Loling at "approve infinite USDC"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

oooo, great thread on how crypto hooks people, and this absolutely does. https://twitter.com/edels0n/status/1678851556337242112

People without Twitter accounts can't see more than a single tweet now (thanks, Elon!). Can you ost the thread?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

People without Twitter accounts can't see more than a single tweet now (thanks, Elon!). Can you ost the thread?

Nitter works again
https://nitter.net/edels0n/status/1678851556337242112

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/DMTCapital/status/1679381374355243008

The context here is that people are apparently strolling across the border from China into Hong Kong with literal sacks of cash from who-knows-where* and buying crypto at huge buy-sell spreads (note that there's almost $1,000 difference between the buy and sell price on Bitcoin).

* - China does what it can to try to limit the flow of capital out of its borders, so in the best case scenario these are people with legitimate CNY earnings trying to evade capital controls, worst case are corrupt businessmen/officials trying to smuggle their ill-gotten gains out of the country via BTC.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Apparently the hobby of collecting physical stock certificates is called scripophily. Learn something new every day.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If those BBBY guys were around in 2008 they'd still be holding onto Lehman stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The idea that Bed Bath and Beyond is going to rise from the grave and take on loving Amazon is just a galaxy brained moron idea. Amazon spent the last decade slowly murdering BBBY and every other brick and mortar retailer but somehow they're actually an 800lb gorilla waiting in the wings.

Not the least of which teaming up with Sears and GameStop and IIRC something else dumb like AMC or RadioShack or soemthing to form a new super-economy based on NFTs.

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention BBBY absolute refused to adopt new business' practices and adapt, they killed themselves much like Sears did. There's no way they come back against Amazon.

TBF Sears died because they got bought by a corporate raider who's been intentionally destroying the company from his gated island compound in Florida.