Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MBMBAM has been really funny lately? I don't know, I've been really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I like how the lovely sound bath stems from both Griffin or Travis having “anxiety” about having to do any work for the show on a weekly basis for the outro.

At least Justin tries with Munch Squad bits, as the lovely Wikihow poo poo is all user submitted anyhow.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The only McElroy show I listen to regularly anymore is Sawbones. Really enjoyed Justin laughing every time Sydnee said "the egg" in last week's episode.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

should i ask what sound bath actually is

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alaois posted:

should i ask what sound bath actually is

It is flat out just the three brothers making unintelligible sounds, sometimes finding a harmony, to end the show. It is absolutely nothing, it's worse than any ending bit they've attempted prior. So bad, in fact, I'm wondering how long before Griffin loses his cool and complains about it. I'll be shocked if this bit sticks. It's awful, lmao.

Other than that I've had a good time with the episodes for the most part!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It is flat out just the three brothers making unintelligible sounds, sometimes finding a harmony, to end the show. It is absolutely nothing, it's worse than any ending bit they've attempted prior. So bad, in fact, I'm wondering how long before Griffin loses his cool and complains about it. I'll be shocked if this bit sticks. It's awful, lmao.

Other than that I've had a good time with the episodes for the most part!

experimental lmao

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Shinjobi posted:

, I'm wondering how long before Griffin loses his cool and complains about it. I'll be shocked if this bit sticks. It's awful, lmao.

It's been... 3? 4? episodes now?
I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

oh right because they don't have a final Yahoo. but surely there's a better solution than this lol

I tend to bail at the plugs section anyway so whatever, but what a weird bit to do every week!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

There has to be an archive of Yahoos out there for them to draw from.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AndrewP posted:

oh right because they don't have a final Yahoo. but surely there's a better solution than this lol

I tend to bail at the plugs section anyway so whatever, but what a weird bit to do every week!

The plugs section has become interminable over the years. Anything new and interesting that they're doing is lost in the sea of the stuff they've had in that section for ever.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just turn the episode off when Justin says "Folks"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Isn’t Quora a similar service? Maybe not inane enough?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

AndrewP posted:

Isn’t Quora a similar service? Maybe not inane enough?

Quora is absolutely insane but I think they swore it off after doing a few early on since it didn't feel right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

change my name posted:

Quora is absolutely insane but I think they swore it off after doing a few early on since it didn't feel right

Quora is a lot more visibly international than Yahoo Answers was, and I think it’s a lot more apparent when somebody is writing ESL on Quora today than it was on Yahoo 15 years ago, which at a certain point can just come off like you’re making fun of somebody for being foreign and not writing English good

Like a lot of the best Yahoo Answers moments are the result of people butchering the English language into nonsense, but the result is more unhinged and less “lol Engrish” because the implicit assumption was that they were American, or at least Western.

Like if you read “how is babby formed…” or any other all-time classic Yahoo for the first time, but also you knew that the person writing it was from like rural India or whatever, then you might be less inclined to find it funny

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 12, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There must be somewhere that 15 year olds and weird 40 year olds are asking questions about stupid poo poo. There must be...

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
MBMBAM was grim for a while for long stretches of 2019 through 2021 but they’ve seemed to be more invigorated and less grouchy since. I enjoy listening to it again these days

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

The podcast is good (despite the sound bath), but I think I might look forward to the Victory McElroyale streams more than anything else. The chaos and frustration of Super McElroy Brothers is unparalleled.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure it's hard to be funny for 600+ episodes, but I still think instead of Munch Squad they should just lean more into submitted questions. I mean they have a never ending stream of prompts in their inbox, they don't need to call Taco Bell.

Also I've grown to look forward to terrible Travis games.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The thing I get most frustrated with on MBMBAM is the listener submitted question choice. Too often it’s like “I want to eat a bagel at work, how do I do that without people thinking I’m weird???” and I’m like, that is not an actual problem it’s just your crippling untreated social anxiety, nor is it a good jumping off point for goofs. It’s just boring

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 13, 2023

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

we need more deranged listeners to write in, like the people who kept a pumpkin in their bathtub for several months

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I could use an update on the lady with 7 parrots, tbh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
just have Sidnee say fighting words like “healthy bodyweight” again and let the reactions pour in

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

The thing I get most frustrated with on MBMBAM is the listener submitted question choice. Too often it’s like “I want to eat a bagel at work, how do I do that without people thinking I’m weird???” and I’m like, that is not an actual problem it’s just your crippling untreated social anxiety, nor is it a good jumping off point for goofs. It’s just boring

The amount of questions about avoiding socializing or even leaving the house is honestly depressing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Glass. Shark.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Mods?!?!!??

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ok Comboomer posted:

just have Sidnee say fighting words like “healthy bodyweight” again and let the reactions pour in

my favorite Sawbones drama was when Justin said he didn't like water chestnuts

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't even remember, what was the reason the Facebook group went insane over glass shark?

I think he said the word fat or something and did an accent? I remember there was some drama about Justin going on a diet as well, so I'm assuming that's it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I don't even remember, what was the reason the Facebook group went insane over glass shark?

I think he said the word fat or something and did an accent? I remember there was some drama about Justin going on a diet as well, so I'm assuming that's it

mostly the accent. he was doing the ol' "magical black person" voice of old. still an incredibly funny bit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Phlag posted:

The podcast is good (despite the sound bath), but I think I might look forward to the Victory McElroyale streams more than anything else. The chaos and frustration of Super McElroy Brothers is unparalleled.

It's very very good, especially this most recent ep (#8)

Colonel Whitey posted:

My favorites are the ones that involve a time-sensitive dilemma which has almost certainly passed by the time the brothers read the question on-air. Not even pretending to be looking for advice, just goofs (not that there's anything wrong with that)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Roobanguy posted:

mostly the accent. he was doing the ol' "magical black person" voice of old. still an incredibly funny bit.

He absolutely was not, he was doing a common Louisiana accent, you just associate that exclusively with black people in movies because you've never been more than 50 miles from the town you were born in

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

flavor.flv posted:

He absolutely was not, he was doing a common Louisiana accent, you just associate that exclusively with black people in movies because you've never been more than 50 miles from the town you were born in

Yeah, this. I've watched upwards of five episodes of NCIS New Orleans and heard this sort of accent plenty.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

It is this. Many Internet people have extremely limited frames of reference, better coddle them so they never grow.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

ohhhh right, I remembered it as some sort of cajun-y thing

I think that was a pretty early episode? Was that back when it was still angry griffin and stuff? It's honestly pretty crazy listening to the early stuff and knowing where the vibe ends up way later

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

ohhhh right, I remembered it as some sort of cajun-y thing

I think that was a pretty early episode? Was that back when it was still angry griffin and stuff? It's honestly pretty crazy listening to the early stuff and knowing where the vibe ends up way later

it was not an early episode it was from 2014 lol, episode 215

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

i've lived in texas my entire life, in a city that had a huge influx of new orleans refugees after katrina, and grew up in a school system that was majority hispanic and black, i know its a cajun accent, but justin literally is the guy who has only lived in one place his entire life in a west virginian small town. he 100% was going for the magical black guy gag, but it was a funny gag and it wasn't mocking them so its fine.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 13, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Roobanguy posted:

he 100% was going for the magical black guy gag, but it was a funny gag and it wasn't mocking them so its fine.
can someone drop a "100th relitigation of the Glass Shark joke" banner from the rafters or something

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Alaois posted:

it was not an early episode it was from 2014 lol, episode 215

oh wow lol, I didn't even realize

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Roobanguy posted:

i've lived in texas my entire life, in a city that had a huge influx of new orleans refugees after katrina, and grew up in a school system that was majority hispanic and black, i know its a cajun accent, but justin literally is the guy who has only lived in one place his entire life in a west virginian small town. he 100% was going for the magical black guy gag, but it was a funny gag and it wasn't mocking them so its fine.

It not magical black guy, it Gambit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's not like the billy crystal jazz man voice which was 1000% blackface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

post your favorite problematic MBMBAM bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C67hspkd_TY