Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

@broken boy soldier

may I ask what brought you into the game, out of curiosity? Was it recommended by a friend, did you see an ad, did you randomly see someone mention it in on SA, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

broken boy soldier posted:

Just jumped into MTG and have been loving learning the game through arena. However, I am looking for irl community and interaction in a hobby, so I want to jump into paper asap.

Modern seems to be where it’s at these day in terms of local events. But holy cow these decks can get costly.

I’ve been playing Mono Blue Tempo and Selesnya Enchantments in standard on arena and am loving both play styles. Are there any modern decks that play similarly I could acquire on a budget? Don’t need to be super competitive, but also don’t want to get destroyed every game. Thanks for the assist!

You should check to see if any of your local stores have any kind of Pauper presence, since you can build tier 1 pauper decks for like $60, and have a bunch of them for variety. Faeries/Delver and Bogles are kinda the equivalents to MUT and Enchantress, although Faeries is usually UB and Bogles is more of an auras based Voltron aggro deck

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

kalel posted:

@broken boy soldier

may I ask what brought you into the game, out of curiosity? Was it recommended by a friend, did you see an ad, did you randomly see someone mention it in on SA, etc?

I’ve always had an interest in card games, but the recent spark definitely came from a friend who has been playing for years and has decks for most of the formats. Want to meet additional people as well, hence the focus on modern.

I should know how to do this on mobile, but I don’t know how to quote two posts. There aren’t really any events I’ve seen, but my friend has pauper decks and I’ve been looking into getting bogle going!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Tolarion Community College also did a video on getting into Modern on a budget at the start of the year. The decklists may not be the best, but the basic principles should still apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUEnIlIDDX4

tl;dw, even a cheap but optimal Modern deck is probably going to cost a few hundred bucks, but there's a lot of replacements you could make that are worse cards but are still more than good enough for local game store levels of play. If you like playing the deck, you can always chip away and buy card upgrades over time.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Tolarion Community College also did a video on getting into Modern on a budget at the start of the year. The decklists may not be the best, but the basic principles should still apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUEnIlIDDX4

tl;dw, even a cheap but optimal Modern deck is probably going to cost a few hundred bucks, but there's a lot of replacements you could make that are worse cards but are still more than good enough for local game store levels of play. If you like playing the deck, you can always chip away and buy card upgrades over time.

Will give this a watch, thank you! It’s been a blast learning about the game and the various formats, can’t wait to get a deck of my own and play some games irl.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also if you like breaking the law, any card in a popular modern deck has a good counterfeit available for 3 bucks or so.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I’ve always had an interest in card games, but the recent spark definitely came from a friend who has been playing for years and has decks for most of the formats. Want to meet additional people as well, hence the focus on modern.

I should know how to do this on mobile, but I don’t know how to quote two posts. There aren’t really any events I’ve seen, but my friend has pauper decks and I’ve been looking into getting bogle going!

You can also see if any friends have extra decks they'll let you borrow, to just try some stuff out

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you can also just print everything on A4 paper and forgo official tournaments

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also try out the store and any other stores in the area before splashing out big bucks on a constructed deck. I keep trying to get this into the OP but the best (only?) way to stay engaged with magic and have a good time is to fall in to a crew of likeminded folks to play, playtest, even travel etc with. The game is fun but without a stable community to be a part of it's hard to stay connected. Also play limited but that goes for everyone ;)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

kalel posted:

+1 for printer proxies

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

just have enough chaff to back your proxies with real cards. Also, printing them is like playing Warhammer with an unpainted army. Draw your own proxies.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

just have enough chaff to back your proxies with real cards. Also, printing them is like playing Warhammer with an unpainted army. Draw your own proxies.

I agree

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kalel posted:

Printer proxy tournaments are great and there should be more of them

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also try out the store and any other stores in the area before splashing out big bucks on a constructed deck. I keep trying to get this into the OP but the best (only?) way to stay engaged with magic and have a good time is to fall in to a crew of likeminded folks to play, playtest, even travel etc with. The game is fun but without a stable community to be a part of it's hard to stay connected. Also play limited but that goes for everyone ;)

This is the goal! There are a couple of stores located relatively close to me in West Los Angeles that I’m planning on checking out in the next week or so.

I also have a necron commander deck that seems relatively cost-effective to upgrade, so another goal is to learn commander and attend those events as well.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

@broken boy

If you and your bud aren’t already, I highly recommend picking up Tabletop Simulator (if the steam sale is still up, it’s only $10; otherwise, $20) to jam games on. You can play any deck, any format, any cube, any Brian Demars style Battlebox. You can use sites like draftsim to practice drafting and then export those lists into Tabletop. It’s seriously great, and would probably be helpful in terms of testing out decks before you pull the $$ trigger.

You’ll want to find a (free) MTG mod in the Steam Workshop in order to play. My personal favorite is this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222607479

From there, there’s a whole Scryfall command library built in. Typically you’ll grab a MTGO formatted decklist and paste it into a new ‘Notebook’ page, found on top of screen. Then just type ‘Scryfall deck’ into chat and boom, it spawns the whole deck.

Due to the whole thing being a simulated 3D space with shuffling, card drawing, dice rolling, etc, it captures the feeling of paper magic way more than Arena or MTGO, imo. Particularly insofar as it won’t hold your hand for any triggers - keeping track of one’s triggers is a crucial skill in paper magic that can wither away with too much time spent in Arena, in my experience.

/twocents

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Flutch posted:

@broken boy

If you and your bud aren’t already, I highly recommend picking up Tabletop Simulator (if the steam sale is still up, it’s only $10; otherwise, $20) to jam games on. You can play any deck, any format, any cube, any Brian Demars style Battlebox. You can use sites like draftsim to practice drafting and then export those lists into Tabletop. It’s seriously great, and would probably be helpful in terms of testing out decks before you pull the $$ trigger.

You’ll want to find a (free) MTG mod in the Steam Workshop in order to play. My personal favorite is this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222607479

From there, there’s a whole Scryfall command library built in. Typically you’ll grab a MTGO formatted decklist and paste it into a new ‘Notebook’ page, found on top of screen. Then just type ‘Scryfall deck’ into chat and boom, it spawns the whole deck.

Due to the whole thing being a simulated 3D space with shuffling, card drawing, dice rolling, etc, it captures the feeling of paper magic way more than Arena or MTGO, imo. Particularly insofar as it won’t hold your hand for any triggers - keeping track of one’s triggers is a crucial skill in paper magic that can wither away with too much time spent in Arena, in my experience.

/twocents

Oh that's cool! I picked Tabletop Simulator up just because I thought it looked neat. I didn't know you could play magic on it

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Does anyone have a good playtest sticker template or anything like that? Like, don't care about the art or anything fancy, but handwriting a whole deck with sharpies get boring after about 2 playsets. And some cards have a lot of poo poo on em.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Framboise posted:

Oh that's cool! I picked Tabletop Simulator up just because I thought it looked neat. I didn't know you could play magic on it

It seriously owns. So fun to just spin up the hottest new Pioneer deck and jam, no hassle, no strings.

It’s also fantastic for board games, which the Steam Workshop is full of. Seems like 90%+ of games are on there as mods, even a lot of the ones that TTS sells official versions of.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This is super helpful, thank you! I will keep in mind that nothing from either deck is shared, that’s great to know. I have a dream list of paper decks I’m building to work toward, and these both just made it! Thanks again.

Search for the terms “bootleg”on Reddit for some help in finding more affordable alternatives. Many places holding many discussions. Hundreds of hours worth. Pm me to get a useful link to a comprehensive wiki.

You will be able to play modern at a reasonable price and then build your collection more traditionally while you play. I have walked irk friends through this so many times it’s almost on auto pilot.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Flutch posted:

It seriously owns. So fun to just spin up the hottest new Pioneer deck and jam, no hassle, no strings.

This is an amazing tip, will definitely look into it!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I really like playing MTG on tabletop sim but I have no one to play with except one friend who constantly flakes. And even then he's only interested in commander :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flutch posted:

It’s also fantastic for board games, which the Steam Workshop is full of. Seems like 90%+ of games are on there as mods, even a lot of the ones that TTS sells official versions of.

Whoa, how easy is it to like, set things up and get other players in? I assume they all need at least a copy of the game. I've got some folks who are or might be interested in playing together, but don't wanna spend a ton of money about it, and we usually just play poo poo dead simple to setup like Jackbox or whatever. I know it can't be that simple, but how much harder is it?

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, how easy is it to like, set things up and get other players in?

It’s very low hassle. As long as everyone has a copy of the game, and someone is subscribed to the Workshop mod, that person just hosts a game, boots up the mod, and everyone else joins via Steam friends menu. I’d say as long as the host has basic familiarity with how the mod works, you’re set.

Protip: if you’re fetishy about card art like me, input ‘Scryfall quality large’ before spawning decks for maximum resolution. Great for zooming in and admiring the art.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sweet, good to know. The cool art is definitely part of the game's appeal. I should find a good set of decks for us to mess with without anyone having to build.

Ooh I'll find out myself soon but setting up custom drafts could be cool.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

This is the goal! There are a couple of stores located relatively close to me in West Los Angeles that I’m planning on checking out in the next week or so.

I also have a necron commander deck that seems relatively cost-effective to upgrade, so another goal is to learn commander and attend those events as well.
I can attest to Next Gen Games being a cool play to play. I've been there for Pioneer nights on Mondays. There's also Turn-Zero Games near K-town, but I haven't played there yet. There's a lot of cross-over between the two though and I feel like they're the more premier places for competitive play. Lot's of RCQ grinders, but no one's too sweaty.

Both stores have active Discord servers if you wanna check the community out.

There's also It's Game Time in Palms, which is pretty small without much room to play, and Paper Hero seems to mostly have Commander events on the calandar.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

I honestly like it much better than cockatrice, xmage, etc. for magic games, especially commander tbh. It's just harder to get games for without a group for it in advance.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Regarding printer proxies: If you get them printed on 110 lb cardstock, they're thick enough to put in sleeves by themselves. I've been getting mine done at the local Office Depot, since it's too thick for a home printer.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

quick question. Why isn't it possible for me to cast Balrog's Lash targeting Sauron, sac that 1/1 menace that tempts when it dies, use the death trigger to make something legendary, and then sac the legendary for Sauron's ward cost?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Moose posted:

quick question. Why isn't it possible for me to cast Balrog's Lash targeting Sauron, sac that 1/1 menace that tempts when it dies, use the death trigger to make something legendary, and then sac the legendary for Sauron's ward cost?

Because you're playing Balrog's Lash on your turn. So all your triggered abilities (the Tempt trigger) go on the stack first, then all your opponent's triggered abilities (Ward), and their triggers resolve first.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jabor posted:

Because you're playing Balrog's Lash on your turn. So all your triggered abilities (the Tempt trigger) go on the stack first, then all your opponent's triggered abilities (Ward), and their triggers resolve first.

oh right. Welp, I was against a Sauron in draft, so I had probably already lost anyway

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cockatrice is another way to play online if you just want to jam games with a friend. Don't get the animations or any rules engine but it's good for games

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Re:printer proxies. I tried printing on transparent label sheets to place on foils (used acetone to remove art). It worked but I don't really recommend it. Trying to place them centered and straight was a huge pain in the rear end followed by cleaning up the inevitable overhangs. Also because the label is on top of the card it will curl depending on humidity and the art will scratch because it's printed on top.

If I was to do it again for playtest cards I would print on white labels, scale the printed card down 90% so they can be cut with a paper cutter and when placed cover the vast majority of the original card but not overhang.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I played against a guy at one of my LGSs who had an entire deck printer proxied, cool no sweat from me... oh literally all of the cards are black and white :psyduck:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 13, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Johnny Truant posted:

I played against a guy at one of my LGSs who had an entire deck printer proxied, cool no sweat from me... oh literally all of the cards are black and white :psyduck:

Double Feature proxies only

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh yeah that's a pain

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Double Feature proxies only

I've never seen this before! I feel like it could be done well?

ilmucche posted:

Oh yeah that's a pain

Yeah, it wasn't like the double feature that JaKiri just linked, it was every mana symbol too, which... way slightly irritating, yeah.

I just had to keep asking to look at the cat's cards cause I couldn't tell what the gently caress was what. It did feel good to kill the fuuuuuck out of him, lol

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
That set of full art lands from crimson vow/double feature are nearly indistinguishable from one another. The narrow coloured border is and mana symbol at the bottom is insufficient to easily tell which is which across the table.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

Are LGS's broadly cooling on allowing proxies at non-tournament events? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember my old one forbid them because they worried of getting in trouble with wotc.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Are LGS's broadly cooling on allowing proxies at non-tournament events? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember my old one forbid them because they worried of getting in trouble with wotc.

I only have an n=1 but everyone at my table had proxies, myself included. Some printer papered, some on actual cardstock. Everybody seemed more focused on "how do we have a good game by aligning power levels" which was nice

Nobody gave a fuuuuuck, but this is just "free play commander day" so it probably doesn't even touch wotc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MasterBuilder posted:

That set of full art lands from crimson vow/double feature are nearly indistinguishable from one another. The narrow coloured border is and mana symbol at the bottom is insufficient to easily tell which is which across the table.

All they had to do was give the name and type boxes the same coloured backgrounds as the other full art lands, which would have made them some of my favourites. Instead I can only really use them in mono-coloured decks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!