Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I've had several ancestral unique 2h scythes drop for my necro that I will never use bc any decent 2h sword will always be better for bone spearing. We're not too bad because there are actually decent unique pants and helms we can use, but at least half the uniques I've gotten went straight to the vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Interview:

- Lots of balance changes in July 18th patch. There will be a significant amount of nerfs/fixing unintended interactions - including fixing Druid Shred that was able to deal billions of damage and the Barb Aspect of Berserk Ripping/Skullbreaker's Aspect combo that someone used to do an undecillion damage crit - along with buffs. It won't be 100% buffs like the most recent patch.

- Season 1 is small and future seasons will be larger. Season 1 was developed simultaneously during the launch month (seems to imply they didn't have enough time)

quote:

In terms of seasonal size, one thing that was made clear was that this season may be somewhat smaller than future ones. It’s the first season of the game, and not only will they learn from it, it was also developed simultaneously while Diablo 4 was launching.

“From a management of expectations perspective,” Fergusson said, “when we talk about how the launch of Diablo 4 is the beginning, not the end because we have a live service, that’s one of the things people should think about with seasons as well…The reality is, this is our first season that we built while shipping [Diablo 4] at the exact same time…This is the beginning of our seasonal journey in terms of where we can go from here.”

- There will be neutral malignant heart abilities.

quote:

There are some class-specific heart abilities out of the 32 that are coming with the season and some neutral ones everyone can use. The new (permanently added) Legendary Aspects and Uniques are supposed to be a mix of neutral and class specific as well.

- This seems to imply that heart sockets can roll on items other than jewelry?

quote:

The Heart sockets are separate from Gem sockets so both can be used, except for jewelry, which only has a Heart socket (which will be converted to a normal socket after the season). There is no new rank of Gems above Royal coming this season for more merging.

- Confirms that NM dungeons will rotate every season.

quote:

There will indeed be a new Nightmare Dungeon rotation this season, and every season, as has been previously said.

- Uniques are not designed to be best in slot. They are intended to enable unique gameplay with certain builds.

quote:

I asked about why a lot of Uniques feel underpowered compared to Legendary counterparts, and they said that Uniques are not meant to be an “ultimate” level of gear necessarily above Legendaries paired with Aspects, they are supposed to slide in alongside certain builds to make them unique rather than be outright better than anything else. It is not the “you must get every unique to have every viable build option” system that we’ve seen in the past.

- There is a new uber-unique item coming in the season.

- You can probably fully clear the free battlepass by level 60 or so. You won't need to be anywhere near 100.

- They expect the average player to finish the seasonal quest line in two weeks. Speed running players can probably finish in a few days.

- No plans to add the ability for new players to skip the campaign if they have never done it before.

quote:

Finally, I asked why it was that the campaign was a requirement to play the season, given that in video games in general, only a fraction of players actually finish campaigns, much less ones as long as Diablo 4’s. They said that A) they think the campaign is good and everyone should experience it (agree!) but B) the campaign is a good onramp into all the systems of the game, and just dropping people into World Tier 3 and all the endgame activities there would be too confusing. But if you want to jump straight into the season before beating the campaign (you only need to beat it once on one character) you can join a friend who has done so.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=5ae5a2f11e4a

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 13, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The uniques don't have to be BiS, but the affixes should at least be relevant so using it isn't a straight downgrade. The unique passives mostly don't synergize so you're not going to equip one in every slot even if they have perfect affix rolls.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also revealed that there will be a crafting vendor of some type (no major specifics) for Malignant Hearts. You can scrap other hearts for mats, but that is the extent of the details.

There's a tab for crafting "caches," but not details on what those are.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 13, 2023

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Didn’t Diablo 2 have a bunch of uniques that no normal player would ever see? Tbh there should be triple the amount of regular uniques and at least 10-20 more Ubers

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Glad they are coming out and say season 1 is smaller in scope than what they would ideally want

looks like season 2 will be a big test, they better nail it

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not sure "yes, this first season is intentionally kinda poo poo" is a good strategy. Shouldn't you want to put your best foot forward?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's a classic live service trap, thinking the next update is the Real one when the current update is mediocre. Games should be evaluated for what they are, not what they are planning to be in the future.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Eh it's fair for the season that got one month of lead up to be smaller than the seasons that get three+. Especially if developed alongside the full game which itself was rushed out the door.

If season 2 throws a softball then woof.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think the whole thing can be translated like "we had a due date imposed and this is what we were able to get out in a reasonable time"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If Unique aren't supposed to be good, then what the hell is the point of them? Like this makes no sense to me lol.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ehud posted:

I think the whole thing can be translated like "we had a due date imposed and this is what we were able to get out in a reasonable time"

Yeah :(

This is kind of a bummer, would rather have waited longer for a bigger update before abandoning my preseason characters but I'm sure this is all driven by suits with dollar sign pupils.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I'm tapped out on my current barb build and S1 launching, so I'm in this weird limbo of not wanting to log in and waste time.

So I've been leveling up a cyclone build in POE lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Philthy posted:

I feel like I'm tapped out on my current barb build and S1 launching, so I'm in this weird limbo of not wanting to log in and waste time.

So I've been leveling up a cyclone build in POE lmao

Have you tried living a rich inner life outside of ARPGs with friends and loved ones?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

This is how I took it.

I’m personally fine with a lower impact first season. The game had a troubled development so nothing about this is shocking to me.

Agreed that it would be pretty bad if this were a trend though. But I also think I’m expecting less of this game than other folks.

All I want is another broad sweep of buffs to skills to enable more viability.

Don’t blame them for nuking the obviously broken poo poo but I hope they’re sticking with the style of that first patch, but upping the magnitude, even a bit.

Also think this is a very strange year for D4 to release considering the quantity and quality of all the releases that have and are still coming. on the one hand, it’s cool because I can’t really be too annoyed if they take their time addressing stuff with the game. On the other hand, all those games mean fragmenting attention of players, and I hope that doesn’t nudge further development in such a way that they’re desperate to get players back in. Considering it’s live service I could see that happening. And I think this environment plus that possible outcome could bring out the worst bits of live service.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Have you tried living a rich inner life outside of ARPGs with friends and loved ones?

drugs arent legal where i am yet

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

imo season 1 should have been at game launch. It would have made its comparatively lighter content more palatable. They can then take as long as they want making their perfect season 2, and no one has to grouse about having to drop a character they spent a month on.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

SettingSun posted:

That's a classic live service trap, thinking the next update is the Real one when the current update is mediocre. Games should be evaluated for what they are, not what they are planning to be in the future.

it's not fair to compare the state of content of a just-launched live service game to ones that have been out for several years. all you can really hope for is the core gameplay loop being strong and carry it long enough for developers to add enough variety to satisfy the core playerbase.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Battle pass? More like Battle rear end

If you don't buy it can you still play the season without the cosmetics or whatever?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ehud posted:

D4 developers just like me fr

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shadowgate posted:

If you don't buy it can you still play the season without the cosmetics or whatever?

Yes. The paid battlepass is just bonus cosmetics.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shadowgate posted:

if you don't buy it, you can play all the content and participate in the free battle pass

the only reason to buy the premium battle pass is cosmetics

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tonetta posted:

it's not fair to compare the state of content of a just-launched live service game to ones that have been out for several years. all you can really hope for is the core gameplay loop being strong and carry it long enough for developers to add enough variety to satisfy the core playerbase.

It's a game they forced to be live service (this is not a battle royale or a MMO) and there's literally nothing about it that would preclude it from launching with a rich variety.

You're talking about this like it's an indie passion project.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Season seems kinda meh, will of course play for the cosmetics like the degenerate I am.

Here is my guess for future season themes:

- season of Set items (sets are finally added to the game, then moved to core)
- season of Hirelings (all factions already present on the map have mercenaries for hire, you can equip them with stuff, then moved to core)
- season of something something crafting, making white and blue item drops actually useful. maybe some kind of horadric device, cube shaped maybe, allowing me to stuff all the useless crafting components I hover up all the time in there and transforming items unpredictably. maybe different outcomes, depending on the input.
- season of Loot Filters

There, content for the next 2 years, everyone will love it and we might finally have feature parity with every other ARPG out there.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
S1's success will depend almost entirely on how big the balance changes are imo

if they do sweeping changes across the board and enable a lot of new builds then i don't think people will mind too much that S1 is pretty weak

if the changes aren't good enough then good luck to them... social media will become unusable for them for the next 3 months lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Xenthalon posted:

Season seems kinda meh, will of course play for the cosmetics like the degenerate I am.

- season of Hirelings (all factions already present on the map have mercenaries for hire, you can equip them with stuff, then moved to core)
- season of something something crafting, making white and blue item drops actually useful. maybe some kind of horadric device, cube shaped maybe, allowing me to stuff all the useless crafting components I hover up all the time in there and transforming items unpredictably. maybe different outcomes, depending on the input.
- season of Loot Filters

There, content for the next 2 years, everyone will love it and we might finally have feature parity with every other ARPG out there.

Seasons of Features that were in their previous game?

No let's leave that for the Diablo DLC to keep with the theme.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Hit 100 on my pulverize druid, which I have enjoyed a lot, but I'm bummed I haven't been able to try out the tornado werewolf build because I've yet to see a Tempest Roar. I've gotten at least a dozen Vasily's Prayers.

I have been trying to target farm helms in helltides since the change but without luck. I wish they'd allow you to gamble uniques as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If Unique aren't supposed to be good, then what the hell is the point of them? Like this makes no sense to me lol.

A lot of them fundamentally change a skill in a way that basically unlocks a new style of gameplay, or massively augments one you're already using. I've mostly played necro so it's the one that I know the equipment, but off the top of my head there's one that makes your corpse bomb turn into suicide skeletons that naruto run at an enemy before blowing up, on that makes your bone spear spam AOE explosions as it flies, one that makes corpse explosion also kick off the four closest bodies as well, one that gives your minions a 10% chance to have their attacks be explosions, and one that makes your darkness skills also freeze enemies.

It's the sort of thing where you're going to want that modifier on your skill, but if you don't need it for your build there's likely to be a better legendary you can toss on, especially since you're going to be juggling affixes to try and figure out what synergizes with your weird unique modifier anyways.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what are the must dos before the season kicks off? Shrines and map, obviously, anything else? I'm taking a break for a bit so I'm not burned out when the season drops, buy my main's only 83 or so. Anything I need to be focusing or is it pretty much just shrines and map?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what are the must dos before the season kicks off? Shrines and map, obviously, anything else? I'm taking a break for a bit so I'm not burned out when the season drops, buy my main's only 83 or so. Anything I need to be focusing or is it pretty much just shrines and map?

In terms of stuff that carry over to season 1, yeah grab the shrines and uncover the map.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
any transmogs you want. not that you can't get them, it's just nice to be as hot as possible right out the gate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

In terms of stuff that carry over to season 1, yeah grab the shrines and uncover the map.

Anything dumb like a cheevo that I have to bump off in Season 0 or whatever we're calling this launch state?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

doomfunk posted:

any transmogs you want. not that you can't get them, it's just nice to be as hot as possible right out the gate.

Are we sure those carry over? They didn't in D3.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
in d3 they are tied to a craftsperson's level. this is not the case in d4.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tonetta posted:

IMO it's entirely fair to compare the state of a game that's a sequel to a game with over a decade of development (which was itself a sequel to a game that now has like two decades of dev) to those predecessors, because everyone probably should've learned something at some point!

Like. I don't think there's any excuse for dungeons to just be bad rifts when we've got ten years of rift development to look at! Hell, I'd argue that the Durance of Hate is more exciting and interesting than some D4 dungeons are.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Xenthalon posted:

- season of Loot Filters

Given the lack of available time to develop season 1, I'm surprised they aren't leveraging any of the assets they developed for hell in act VI. Maybe they're saving hell raids for season 2.

Would still love to see an original Tristram dungeon-crawl dropped into D4, going all the way down, with the original music at every level. Make it a timewarp or whatever, use the actual D1 spells and spellbooks, class agnostic, as a seasonal gimmick.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

doomfunk posted:

in d3 they are tied to a craftsperson's level. this is not the case in d4.

Transmogs? No, you just needed to get the item to drop. So if you found the hamburger or rainbow sword in prior seasons, you wouldn't be able to transmog them until you picked them up again in the new season.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think most of the current uniques suck, but also I'm just shocked that there are so few of them. There are only like 4-5 per class with some things like penitent greaves (one of the few good uniques) that will drop for multiple classes.

On my bone spear necro there are no usable uniques outside of penitent (which are OK just because they are well itemized). I guess you could use the Fists of Fate, but you are giving up a potential +4 to bonespear so it's not a significant damage increase.

Ring of Mendeln is pretty good if you use minions though.

It seems weird I'm supposed to be excited about 1 new unique and 1 legendary aspect per class this season, but whatever. Maybe hearts will be super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Do you have to unlock transmorgs per class? Or are they all shared throughout the classes.