Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bedpan posted:

NATO is going to increase troop counts, training and readiness, and available equipment in the three defense zones across the Russia-NATO front

The Finnish dmz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

More discussions on being "overdependent" on a country that would give you a "bad surprise"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Albanian think tank question: are we ready to trigger article 5?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Next up: President of Czech Republic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

Albanian think tank question: are we ready to trigger article 5?

This question or trying to rules lawyer article 5 triggering kept getting happening all summit. The libs are bloodthirsty.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"If we allow Russia to prevail in this conflict then we would corrupt all the foundations on which our societies are built"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"What we see is a global competition of systems: democratic countries vs autocratic regimes (China, North Korea, Iran, Russia)"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

"What we see is a global competition of systems: democratic countries vs autocratic regimes (China, North Korea, Iran, Russia)"

???

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Russia is claiming to be the true protector of Christian values

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Czech president was the guy that brought up Japanese internment camps in relation to Russians in the EU.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chinese believe their system is better than the christians and is a better fit to dominate the future

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

If "our values" are not protected and promoted, then Chinese values will take hold

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mention of "internal enemies" who "erode our system of values"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the guy sees the world as a new cold war with nato on one side and china, iran, russia, north korea, and some african states on the other

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

like what pheromones?

as it was described, pretty much

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

restoring relations and economic ties with Russia, were the war to end, is "nonsense"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bedpan posted:

Chinese believe their system is better than the christians and is a better fit to dominate the future

Czech president going full deus vult with nato huh

looks like he used to be a big wheel in nato too

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Czech president going full deus vult with nato huh

looks like he used to be a big wheel in nato too

I wasn't expecting "christian values" to be tossed out there nor did I expect him to just keep on going

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Czech prez saying public support for the war is stronger than ever

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

Russia is claiming to be the true protector of Christian values

bedpan posted:

bedpan posted:

If "our values" are not protected and promoted, then Chinese values will take hold

bedpan posted:

Mention of "internal enemies" who "erode our system of values"

Yo that is big warning poo poo when people in power say things like this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Prez asked about his thoughts on the counteroffensive. He says that russia has many more aircraft, has setup multiple defensive lines, and has been preparing for the offensive for months. Mentions that defense is easier than offense. Ukrainians are motivated but lack ammunition, engineering equipment.

Ukraine is still slowly gaining ground however. They have not yet committed their "major forces" collected for the offensive.

The window of opportunity will close by "the end of this year"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"Whatever is achieved by the end of this year will be the baseline for the negotiation"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

"Whatever is achieved by the end of this year will be the baseline for the negotiation"

Now that is something to say

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Prez asked about what the conditions of a negotiation would be. He says that he supports Ukraine wanting a return to 2014 but "reality will look different"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Discussion of Zelenskyy intending to regain control of territory up to the border of crimea. President is asked if this is achievable by the end of the year. He says it "might be possible under certain conditions" and shakes his head.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mention of "some reservations" about admitting Ukraine to NATO

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

EU functionary asking about EU/NATO synergies. President doesn't answer immediately and says he spent three years trying to figure that out. Doesn't see EU as having a military function

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Jul 13, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

President wants NATO to have capabilities accessible by European member states without having to bring in the US. "There might be a time the US is more concerned with Indo-Pacific than Europe"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ukrainian think tank question: how do you set the punishment system for breaking of values or international order?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

President wants an international war crime tribunal to try Russians. Otherwise there will be no deterrence.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ukrainian MP question: Russia is engaging in nuclear blackmail. "Isn't it the time for the deployment of nuclear weaponry in Eastern Europe?"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Answer: "There is no need to deploy [nuclear weapons] closer to the border."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Coffee break!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

Mention of "some reservations" about admitting Ukraine to NATO

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

President wants NATO to have capabilities accessible by European member states without having to bring in the US. "There might be a time the US is more concerned with Indo-Pacific than Europe"

Oh?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
NATO talks about Ukraine joining the way my burnout friend talks about getting a band together

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thank you deadpan. There actually is some interesting buts in here.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Czech president said that having a pathway to NATO membership was important for Ukrainian morale but the way he was talking about it and other things made it seem like the pathway was aspirational and its real importance was giving the illusion of hope

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah that seems to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Next up is a discussion between the chair of the "Warsaw Security Forum" and the "Supreme Allied Commander Europe"