Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Arcella posted:

My 2013 GTI is about to hit 100k miles, what should I replace it with? Unfortunately they haven’t sold a 2-door GTI in the US since 2016. Maybe I’ll just get a Golf R but the 4-door golf just bores me to tears.

BrZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol ~100k is when I buy cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the idea that the Golf, a dull and boring design, is somehow not boring with two doors but boring with four.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol they look the same

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the idea that the Golf, a dull and boring design, is somehow not boring with two doors but boring with four.

The Animal Farm sequel is going in some weird directions.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Midjack posted:

The Animal Farm sequel is going in some weird directions.

Two doors good, four doors bad, longroofs best.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If anyone wants a lukewarm hatch, I am going to put my EP3 up for sale. Details in the marketplace thread.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The golf looks better with just 2 doors ok?!?!?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This thing is in mint condition, the PO took really good care of it. Not too hard to drive at all, just need to work on smooth shifting.

Just needs front bumper plugs and tint.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice pick! Yellow has got to be my favorite cool car color.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m gonna need to do a lot of hill start practice, did the dreaded stall with cars behind me today. :negative:

Wasn’t apparently enough of an incline for hill start assist to kick in even though it’s enabled.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah Ford’s implementation of hill assist in the FoST/FiST is notoriously fickle, expect it to work maybe 85% of the time you might want it to

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I’m gonna need to do a lot of hill start practice, did the dreaded stall with cars behind me today. :negative:

Wasn’t apparently enough of an incline for hill start assist to kick in even though it’s enabled.

If you're ever unsure what to do in a manual the answer is always "more gas" unless you're pointed directly at an obstacle. You may make a lot of noise and put a tiny bit of extra wear on the clutch but you'll never stall the car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s also the worldwide (but not American for some reason) option of just engaging your parking brake. You just disengage it when you start going forward. poo poo, some people drive around for like a half hour with it on, the extra 10 sec or less when you take off isn’t gonna make a difference.

That said, I’ve never had an issue with the FiSTs hill start assist. It’s always worked when I needed it, but I have no way to tell if it didn’t when I didn’t.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah I watched some videos when I got back to the hotel and slapped myself for not thinking of using the handbrake to hold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also a good one if you have a lever handbrake. Not recommend if it's a pedal or electrically controlled parking brake.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t think you own a “hot hatch” if it’s a pedal parking brake.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Arcella posted:

Can you even get one of those? Also no MT because traffic

I've had an Elantra N with the DCT since January and it kicks rear end

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

devmd01 posted:

This thing is in mint condition, the PO took really good care of it. Not too hard to drive at all, just need to work on smooth shifting.

Just needs front bumper plugs and tint.

Hey if you want a COBB rear motor mount and accessport I'll dump them for cheap, they've been in my garage for a couple years now since I sold my FoST

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

That said, I’ve never had an issue with the FiSTs hill start assist. It’s always worked when I needed it, but I have no way to tell if it didn’t when I didn’t.

yeah really the correct answer, OP, is “git gud, scrub”

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I disabled Hill Start assist on my FiST on the drive home from the dealer, I found it really annoying and unintelligent, like it’s just a set timer from when you let the brake go rather than it releasing automatically when enough engine torque is being transmitted to hold the car. I don’t use the handbrake for hill starts either though, I just go from foot brake to accelerator at the same time as I let the clutch out to the friction point and the car doesn’t roll back at all.

Not necessarily a technique for a noob but IMO there is pretty much no need to ever use the handbrake on a vehicle you’ve driven enough by to be at all familiar with (once you’re proficient at manual, of course).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Midjack posted:

Also a good one if you have a lever handbrake. Not recommend if it's a pedal or electrically controlled parking brake.

But how can you do a handbrake turn to impress all the ladies if you don’t have a lever handbrake?!?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I disabled Hill Start assist on my FiST on the drive home from the dealer, I found it really annoying and unintelligent, like it’s just a set timer from when you let the brake go rather than it releasing automatically when enough engine torque is being transmitted to hold the car. I don’t use the handbrake for hill starts either though, I just go from foot brake to accelerator at the same time as I let the clutch out to the friction point and the car doesn’t roll back at all.

Not necessarily a technique for a noob but IMO there is pretty much no need to ever use the handbrake on a vehicle you’ve driven enough by to be at all familiar with (once you’re proficient at manual, of course).

Honestly FiST is light enough that you really should prioritize being able to comfortably catch it and get it moving on a hill without mechanical aides if you can’t do so already

Like of all the MT cars I’ve driven it’s been far and away the easiest WRT clutch and whatnot

if anything, the hill assist just lets me be lazy and leisurely about it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hill start assist on most cars will activate if the transmission is in first gear before you release the brake but not if the transmission is in neutral before you release the brake. Merits/demerits of leaving the car in neutral aside, this may be why it isn’t engaging.

Get good is the correct answer as well as using the handbrake if you really need to. I don’t know why Dr Lunchables thinks this is not an American thing; in our driving test in the USA we had to do a handbrake assisted acceleration from stop even in an automatic car. Stop on an incline, set the handbrake, foot off the brake, car should not roll back. Accelerate and simultaneously release the handbrake without rolling back. I’m really not sure of the utility since everyone just used automatic cars for the test anyway, but it was there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, git gud is definitely the answer but hey, first manual car and I’ve only had it three days. Up until Wednesday my only exposure was 20 min in a friends Camry a week before doing the rusty wallace racing experience. Now to drive it 300 miles back home but that is all flat Midwest interstate.

MunchE posted:

Hey if you want a COBB rear motor mount and accessport I'll dump them for cheap, they've been in my garage for a couple years now since I sold my FoST

Sent you a PM.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Now to drive it 300 miles back home but that is all flat Midwest interstate.

here, you’ll need this

https://youtu.be/gkLvpt9Z3fA

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hill start assist on most cars will activate if the transmission is in first gear before you release the brake but not if the transmission is in neutral before you release the brake. Merits/demerits of leaving the car in neutral aside, this may be why it isn’t engaging.

Get good is the correct answer as well as using the handbrake if you really need to. I don’t know why Dr Lunchables thinks this is not an American thing; in our driving test in the USA we had to do a handbrake assisted acceleration from stop even in an automatic car. Stop on an incline, set the handbrake, foot off the brake, car should not roll back. Accelerate and simultaneously release the handbrake without rolling back. I’m really not sure of the utility since everyone just used automatic cars for the test anyway, but it was there.

All anecdotal. Nobody I’ve talked to had even considered the handbrake when taking off from a hill.

Btw, if any goon wants to send me an accessport for cheap, please reach out. FiST or FoST, as long as it’s unmarried.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

devmd01 posted:

Hold the brake, slowly lift the clutch until you feel it starting to engage, then let go of the brake and push the gas pedal and lift the clutch the rest of the way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Find that sweet spot on like a speed bump in a parking lot late in the evening and just find that bite point. Then hold it for a while and eventually learn how it lets go and how it feels.

E: when parking Just remember your parking brake. on grades turn your wheels

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 7, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Everything finally fully clicked today, I Get It. :hellyeah:

wearing flip-flops has helped me get the feel better than the thick-soled tennis shoes I was wearing.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My favourite driving shoes are my old DCs that are almost worn completely through the sole. They're so soft I can't step on pebbles because it feels like I'm wearing socks. They're awesome.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

When I learned to drive we had an 89 Mercury Tracer (manual) and a Saturn SL1 (automatic). The rule was that I could drive the Saturn to and from school and for errands for the family, but if I wanted to see my friends, I had to take the Tracer. I got gud real fast and had way too much fun whipping that thing around rural country roads in Maine. Dad made me parallel park 100 times before my driver's test. He also took me out on a huge hill and made me start and stop dozens of times. I can parallel park anything now, including a horse drawn carriage. (actually easier than you might think- the 5th wheel makes it simple.)

I do like hill assist, just for when someone is crawling up my bumper at a light, but I don't rely on it. The hill assist in my FiST almost always works. I think it gets a little wonky if I shift into reverse and then into first, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I turned off the hill assist on my FiST when I first discovered the option, then turned it back on a day or two later because it was nice to have at a few lights near me and I never really noticed it getting in the way.

I'm not sure if I can even still control it after swapping to Sync 3, I haven't seen the option in the menu but I also haven't looked.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Essentially the only time I use the hill assist on the FiST is leaving my driveway, since it’s a 10° grade and angled awkwardly in relation to the road. I’ll leave it turned on just in case since it’s so nice to have it when I need it, but in general it’s very limited.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

When has it ever gotten in the way?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

When has it ever gotten in the way?

Do some people ITT have important "rolling backwards down a hill" business to attend to?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The Toyota hill assist is very non intrusive, and I really like it. as soon as you hit the gas pedal there is a moment delay before it gets releases. If you want to roll, just blip the throttle.

The only time I've felt like it's a little annoying is facing downhill since you don't start rolling forward the moment you take you foot off the brake, after a day it is just normal.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

MunchE posted:

Do some people ITT have important "rolling backwards down a hill" business to attend to?

Yes. When some dipshit is rolling up on my bumper at a light on a hill I like to slide back a little to keep them off my rear end.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is this a hot hatch? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44522398/2024-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-revealed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

quote:

The Ioniq 5 N e-Shift programing unleashes something that changes the game of how the brain processes EVs: simulated gearshifts. By briefly interrupting the motors' torque delivery, N e-Shift mimics an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic. The 5 N will jolt on upshifts. Downshifts are rev matched and accompanied by pops and bangs from the speakers during deceleration when Ignition sound mode is active, just like the internal-combustion N cars. Hyundai is completely transparent that interrupting torque delivery with N e-Shift isn't the quickest way around a track, but by only a slim margin. If you take manual control with the shift paddles and miss a shift, you'll hit a virtual fuel cutoff. Get caught out in too high a gear, and the Ioniq 5 will even lug the powertrain by limiting the power delivery. Yes, it's totally fake and unrelated to the mechanicals, but it's a degree of engagement that until now has been lost in the electrified world.

This is dumb as all hell