Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Edgy writing that tries to pretend its still 1999 is a bad indicator that the devs made the right choices on what to keep and what to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, it's the type of thing I notice in reviews that I dislike. I haven't played JA3 so I'm not saying they are wrong (although we can take a good guess), I am talking in general, in past reviews I have seen this flaw.

The flaw being, when reviews doesn't seem to weigh in each factor appropriately. A game can have bad writing yes, and it should be taken in account in a review, but if the bad writing is 6% of the experience and the other 94% (of the actual play time) is... whatever else, puzzles, platforming, strategy, shooting, it doesn't make sense to make the writing complaints to occupy 40% of the review text and dock 2 points of 10 to the score for it.

yeah, pretty much this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
“Lol, this game sucks. I need political correctness in my game about literal psychopathic and shell shocked mercs and killers in a war zone.”

Honestly, whichever words or slurs they use it’s something that fits the setting in this case. It would however serve the dev well to distance itself from the language and make it clear it’s a stylistic choice that they don’t personally approve off.

Those bad reviews actually make me want to buy it, seems like they really went all in.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Day 1 no-slur mod

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I thought playing all those boomer shooters as a kid would inure me to over the top and cheesy one-liners but playing Atomic Heart earlier this year proved that I hadn't come close to discovering how low that bar can go.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

moot the hopple posted:

I thought playing all those boomer shooters as a kid would inure me to over the top and cheesy one-liners but playing Atomic Heart earlier this year proved that I hadn't come close to discovering how low that bar can go.

I’ve heard the protagonist in that game is like a bootleg duke nukem

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Day 1 no-slur mod

If calling mutant insect killing machines slinkies is wrong I don't want to be right

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

I picked that up in the sale and recently started playing it and yeah, no kidding. "Crispy fuckin…where’s the poo poo-rear end way out of here?!" and "What in the sweaty hell is going on here?" and constant usage of the term crispy critters for some reason. It's like an alien writing the kind of edgy dialogue that would appeal to a 14 year old.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

“Lol, this game sucks. I need political correctness in my game about literal psychopathic and shell shocked mercs and killers in a war zone.”

Honestly, whichever words or slurs they use it’s something that fits the setting in this case. It would however serve the dev well to distance itself from the language and make it clear it’s a stylistic choice that they don’t personally approve off.

Those bad reviews actually make me want to buy it, seems like they really went all in.

I feel like most of JA2's political incorrectness was over the top and not really mean spirited, with some exceptions, like Brenda and the tattoo shop guy (whose name escapes me. Kyle?). There were very few actual expressions of racism (like Grizzly saying he doesn't like 'orientals'), all coming from people typified as kind of dumb and crazy.

Largely it's just white guys doing foreign accents.

It's going to be, uh, interesting to see how that holds up in a game set in Africa. I presume it won't be like Arulco, where a surprising amount of people are just European or North American.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
"Oh no one of these characters said a bad word", in a game about war, murder, criminals, psychos who kill for money, blood diamonds....and so on....

JA's sometimes goofy and tongue in cheek writing was what gave the game a lighter atmosphere and made it like an over the top 80s action-flick instead of a bleak war story. Every character was a caricature or stereotype from comics, movies and pop culture.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hammerstein posted:

"Oh no one of these characters said a bad word", in a game about war, murder, criminals, psychos who kill for money, blood diamonds....and so on....

JA's sometimes goofy and tongue in cheek writing was what gave the game a lighter atmosphere and made it like an over the top 80s action-flick instead of a bleak war story. Every character was a caricature or stereotype from comics, movies and pop culture.

Eh, after a point this just becomes the “but it’s what my character would do” annoying guy from D&D. Yeah these characters probably would machine gun slurs, so what? What’s the upside?

How many of us are here for slur verisimilitude exactly? It’s not a deal breaker but I don’t really see the point either.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yeah I don’t want slurs but I do want characters that are poo poo people, you can do that without resorting to slurs

also the “the sights is what I call my boobs” line is a lovely line that flows really bad, I like the sleaze but you can do it a lot better or far worse.

also the rpg components were also a factor in 2, it’s not a gotcha to say “well yeah tactical is the game” it’s an awkward hybrid a lot of the time and if they’ve kept that pretty much the same then that’s a bummer, hate walking around the maps talking to NPCs and often pixel hunting

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
There wanst much of that in JA1 or 2 either, irrc. I remember very little of offensive slurs or anything like that, besides the few things already mentioned here

It was mostly stereotypes that would be considered problematic nowadays and exaggerated accents

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, after a point this just becomes the “but it’s what my character would do” annoying guy from D&D. Yeah these characters probably would machine gun slurs, so what? What’s the upside?

How many of us are here for slur verisimilitude exactly? It’s not a deal breaker but I don’t really see the point either.

But these characters, despite their 80s and 90s background, don't machine gun slurs. Slurs never were much of a thing in JA1 or 2.

It's not about up or downsides, but about a gaming journalist dedicating a full paragraph to an ableist slur and to a seedy strip club manager and then condemning the whole game's writing based on that and depicting the 90s as an era when people only communicated in various slurs. Would such a journalist have a stroke if he saw Jagged Alliance 2's brothel (now THAT was problematic), would his head explode if he saw Harvey Keitel as sleazy pimp in Taxi Driver?

And it's especially disingenuous when said person bases that review on stuff he never read:

quote:

it’s poorly written with a bunch of juvenile jokes and irritating characters that make me reach for the skip button whenever chat comes up on screen.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 13, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQe82eaeHkw

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Review embargo is lifted.

PC Gamer gave it 81%
https://www.pcgamer.com/jagged-alliance-3-review/
IGN 9/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQe82eaeHkw

A bit of a lack of polish and the humor being hit and miss is about what they have to say.

edit: beaten like Elliot by Deidranna

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I picked that up in the sale and recently started playing it and yeah, no kidding. "Crispy fuckin…where’s the poo poo-rear end way out of here?!" and "What in the sweaty hell is going on here?" and constant usage of the term crispy critters for some reason. It's like an alien writing the kind of edgy dialogue that would appeal to a 14 year old.

This reads like a classic Cream of Plenty post, but its 100% real. Atomic Heart dialogue was weird.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
welp, this sounds pretty much the best possible outcome, time to open my wallet

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Does RPS do multiple reviews of the same game? I remember the review I saw before being much more negative

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/jagged-alliance-3-review

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Xarn posted:

Does RPS do multiple reviews of the same game? I remember the review I saw before being much more negative

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/jagged-alliance-3-review

That was preview a year ago

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MikusR posted:

That was preview a year ago

three months ago, and by a different author to boot

redleader posted:

huh, weird that they didn't get their resident strategy nerd (Sin Vega) to do that preview

Guess we know wot Sin thinks now though

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well hey. Glad to hear it’s a worthy successor. Feel more confident buying now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwzgJjBGwkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSl2eIY4O9U

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just skimmed the PC Gamer review and I'm excited! I'm bookmarking this thread and looking forward to hearing more impressions.

Is this turn based? I tried playing the relatively recent JA2 Back in Action and found the real time with pause with global cooldown bad and frustrating

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Same as JA2, real time until combat starts, then turn based.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not a review, but this guy who does a lot of Total War Warhammer videos has started a lets play style series if you want to see some straight up gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK9ZnWljpLE

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

There is a big difference between a character using slurs or taking like a dipshit because they're a dipshit, and the game itself making it clear that it agrees with the character. Also, frankly, I have to deal with slurs every single day, have to hear the worst poo poo out of there 24/7, I'd like to not also have to deal with it in my recreation activities.

I know that the game is about murder and fighting and whatnot, but those are thankfully not actual things I have to deal with in my day to day life the way I do with racism or homophobia or any other bigotry. It feels real lovely to play a game and get the sense that the developers would be have some choices words to deploy against me specifically.

To be clear, I haven't played this game yet or seen any specific language and humor the game uses. I don't know how the humor in this game is going to land, but I don't think its simple as "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Anyways I'm going to play Jagged Alliance 3 tomorrow after work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have also pulled the trigger given the reviews and the fact that there's a 33% discount still going.

And I agree with the multiple posters above: everything that's in a game is there because there was a conscious choice to put it in, and therefore is intended to contribute to the experience in some way. Nothing actually needs to be in a game and if something just makes the experience a bit worse or needs to be ignored then it just shouldn't be there in the first place. The reviews are pretty clear that there isn't some deep satirical point being made (or if it is, it's landing really badly), it's just terrible writing that misjudges the times.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.shacknews.com/article/136241/jagged-alliance-3-review-score 9/10

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Game...good? I haven't actually played a JA game since quickly bouncing off of JA2 1.13 when I tried a few years ago, but this one actually sounds like an ideal starting point, modernized while still being distinct enough from XCOM.

Also I'll lol if Techradar's horrendous slur is some merc calling someone a cripple or a spaz or something.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mordja posted:

Game...good?

game good
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/jagged-alliance-3
https://opencritic.com/game/15214/jagged-alliance-3

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm gonna miss the facing/aiming mechanics from JA2, but I'm really psyched about these good reviews. In my mind seeing scores like 7/10 would have been a good sign for a game like this, but these 8/10 and 9/10 scores are really promising to see.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Who is going to make a new thread for it?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
A 9/10 100 hour game for only 35 currency units? Hell yeah

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

I'm gonna miss the facing/aiming mechanics from JA2, but I'm really psyched about these good reviews. In my mind seeing scores like 7/10 would have been a good sign for a game like this, but these 8/10 and 9/10 scores are really promising to see.

On the plus side, overwatch takes this into account insofar as it requires you to choose what to focus on, so it does matter to a point.

I'm pretty psyched from all the good reviews. It is interesting that only that one yesterday mentioned a "slur" though, so now I'm wondering if it is a scenario like Mordja noted. Tomorrow night is gonna be a great time once my kids go to sleep.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Holy crepes it’s getting good reviews and all this talk is making me giddy but I don’t have time. I’m going to buy it anyway, just like I did the others. Just to show my support for the brand.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

wow... a good jagged alliance game in the year 2023. what a time to be alive.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

lalaland posted:

A 9/10 100 hour game for only 35 currency units? Hell yeah

Party like it's 1999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Stream from earlier today
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN39y5i_H0FkqCiMjrglhIc6KsiPRH76f