Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

it really was proof that Zombies are too big to fail

i feel like there should be some apt metaphor available to represent something that won't die but it's just not coming to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I will say one thing in the movie's favor, it had maybe the most... unique solution to a zombie apocalypse I've ever seen in any form of media, aside from maybe Daybrakers and its magical Vampire catapult (and I think that one turned out to be a red-herring in the end).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a short story I can never remember the name of where, like Return of the Living Dead, zombies can't be killed by any means, so they build giant blenders in quarry pits and toss them all in there where they are slowly ground into slurry.

Later it's shown that the people who do the zombie capture are becoming kind of zombie-like.

Return of the Living Dead 3 recognizes that zombies are perpetual motion machines, so while the lady wants to use them to power exo-frames, they could be used to generate power.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"what am i supposed to believe that zombies are magic?" yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Beachcomber posted:

Return of the Living Dead 3

There are a lot of good ideas in this one but it's difficult to get through between the terrible effects and the very mid-90s "humorous" racism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sir Kodiak posted:

To my recollection, those studies count people who, for example, manned artillery among those who never pulled the trigger. Which may be technically accurate, but creates a false impression of soldiers being unwilling to fire rather than being assigned to roles in which there was no need for them to. Extensive studies were done in Vietnam and over 90% of soldiers in a position to fire their weapon at an enemy did so.

The claim is mainly based on the work of SLA Marshall, who purported to show via interviews with combat troops that less that 15% of men in combat actually fired their weapons in WWII.

He basically made this up.

https://www.historynet.com/long-dead-hand-s-l-marshall-misleads-historians/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There are a lot of good ideas in this one but it's difficult to get through between the terrible effects and the very mid-90s "humorous" racism.

Counter point: Melinda Clarke as Julie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, you could also just google a picture of her and not sit through a minstrel show.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SAG-AFTRA strike greenlighted... https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679400852937637888?t=mrP3hfubrDef7npnQEMTRA&s=19

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's all Redglightninged now

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

There's a short story I can never remember the name of where, like Return of the Living Dead, zombies can't be killed by any means, so they build giant blenders in quarry pits and toss them all in there where they are slowly ground into slurry.

Later it's shown that the people who do the zombie capture are becoming kind of zombie-like.

If you think of the name pm me!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

quote:

Disney pulling back on making Marvel, Star Wars content, Iger says

Key Points

Disney CEO Bob Iger said there will be a pullback in content spending and creation for the Star Wars and Marvel franchises.
Earlier this year Disney said it would slash $5.5 billion in costs, including $3 billion in nonsports content costs.
Iger said the explosion in Marvel TV shows in recent years “diluted focus and attention” for the brand.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html

Too much Disney so now the era of Less Disney begins.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It sounds more like they’re cutting back on streaming originals like the shows because they don’t make money.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Meh, I think this is actually understandable. They are certainly making way too much star wars poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How much disney star wars was good, anyway? Just Andor?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Andor was great, Mandalorian was mostly good, the rest was dogshit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
This has probably been a long time coming, but given what happened today and the timing of this announcement, I can't help but think this is also at least partly an attempt to control the narrative before the new release schedule really starts to taper off.

"See, we're not running out of movies, this was actually our master plan all along!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All five of those movies have maybe 40 minutes of good content between them, mostly scenes between Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This has probably been a long time coming, but given what happened today and the timing of this announcement, I can't help but think this is also at least partly an attempt to control the narrative before the new release schedule really starts to taper off.

"See, we're not running out of movies, this was actually our master plan all along!"
He's also making these comments the same day as an actor's strike is called, so whatever plans they had are going to get pushed back again anyway. He's probably just getting in front of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The best thing about Disney Star Wars is still the Phineas and Ferb crossover.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

lmao just lmao
https://twitter.com/WarnerBrosNFT/status/1679838164276453377

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Remind me what that means, please. Pretend that I have no idea what a blockchain is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Remind me what that means, please. Pretend that I have no idea what a blockchain is.

don't worry about it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're spending money on this instead of paying their writers and actors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

That's the beauty of it; it doesn't mean anything!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
But... blocking people or things is bad. It sounds like a chain of people or things I blocked, why would I want that?! Is the joke that they want me to add The Flash to the long line of poo poo I block? I don't even block anything!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That commercial had a really early 2000’s FEATURES vibe to it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

That commercial had a really early 2000’s FEATURES vibe to it

But what if only a handful of people could get access to them and probably have to pay an extremely excessive amount of money for the privilege?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Blockchain means we will have a record of everyone a d everything who has bought or handled a product whether it's software or in the real world. How does this apply to a movie? Are we able to resell The Flash after we have bought it? Can we buy a digital copy of the Flash, found that the scene where Nic Cage Superman fights a giant robot spider have somehow been expanded into a 30 minute scene, and check the blockchain records to find out we bought a version that was once owned and modified by Jon Peters?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s a good thing they put it on the blockchain or else how would anyone know it exists

They should make it an NFT because nobody wants to see it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm going to torrent the flash movie hehe

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

I feel like neither does anyone associated with that tweet. I tapped it to see people mock it, but it looks like they didn't allow replies, for SOME reason.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol that even the nft bros are upset about this

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I AM GRANDO posted:

How much disney star wars was good, anyway? Just Andor?

It's not as COMPLETELY dire as people act.

Force Awakens was decent and had its moments.
I thought the Last Jedi was great but that's contentious so.
Andor is great.
Mandalorian has like one and a half good seasons.
Rogue One is mostly good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Last Jedi did Finn so utterly unnecessarily dirty.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 15, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Last Jedi did Finm so utterly unnecessarily dirty.

Yeah finm wasn’t very good.

Finn though, I kinda dug his arc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah finm wasn’t very good.

Finn though, I kinda dug his arc

What arc?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The one in the movie. The one I liked.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
he never uses an ARC rifle though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol that even the nft bros are upset about this

How are there any left? What do they do?