Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Whelp, looks like my phone (Pixel 4a) is dying (or more probably the charging port is going, but same diff). What're my options for cheap, not-terrible android phones that still have a headphone jack? Will only be used for web/youtube/maps/music. I don't have a price limit, "not-terrible" costs what it costs, but I'm not looking to spend any money I don't have to either. On T-Mobile and grandfathered in to some crazy rate, so changing plans/providers isn't an option.

Get a pixel 7a and give up the headphone Jack and get an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Get a pixel 7a and give up the headphone Jack and get an adapter.

:hmmyes:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Headphone jacks are dead in modern good phones and are not likely to ever come back. Give up on the jack and either get an adapter dongle or bluetooth headphones.

Also, Pixel 7a.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Your charging port is probably packed with lint and preventing a good seal with your cable. Take a pin and root around in the charging port and clean it out

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Whelp, looks like my phone (Pixel 4a) is dying (or more probably the charging port is going, but same diff). What're my options for cheap, not-terrible android phones that still have a headphone jack? Will only be used for web/youtube/maps/music. I don't have a price limit, "not-terrible" costs what it costs, but I'm not looking to spend any money I don't have to either. On T-Mobile and grandfathered in to some crazy rate, so changing plans/providers isn't an option.

I was in a pretty similar boat, I picked up a Galaxy A14 for super cheap, and it's been great for me. Headphone jack, SD slot, decent screen. Only thing is the camera isn't incredible, but it still gets the job done.
Don't listsn to these jokers, you can still get a headphone jack.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Galaxy XCover also has a headphone jack and removable battery if you're looking for the full retro experience.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Your charging port is probably packed with lint and preventing a good seal with your cable. Take a pin and root around in the charging port and clean it out

Don't use a pin, use a toothpick. Much harder to damage the metals that way, but also organic material will stick better to it than a smooth pin.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My octogenarian grandfather is on my parents Verizon plan. After some family medical emergencies a few years ago, we forced him to get a cell phone and got a Galaxy A31. Was fine for him initially, but he started getting dick pill ads in the Samsung weather app and he constantly bitched about getting "tweets or twicks" (texts) from scam numbers, so we gave him my late-grandmother's iPhone 6S Plus. He seems to get along with it pretty well, but the battery on it is beyond shot and fluctuates wildly, never knowing if the phone will last a couple hours or a couple days kinda defeats the entire point of giving him a phone in the first place.

He hates technology more advanced than a dial-operated CRT television and doesn't want to learn anything new. I thought about swapping the iPhone 6S with a current iPhone SE, but the smaller screen means things would be harder to see; and likewise an iPhone 12 would require him learn the new iOS navigation gestures. Part of me thinks something like a Nokia 2780 would fit the bill, but he did figure out how to check ESPN for sports scores, and now that needs to be available.

I just don't know what's available that works on Verizon that will check sports scores while also just let him call phone numbers without other smartphone functions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

My octogenarian grandfather is on my parents Verizon plan. After some family medical emergencies a few years ago, we forced him to get a cell phone and got a Galaxy A31. Was fine for him initially, but he started getting dick pill ads in the Samsung weather app and he constantly bitched about getting "tweets or twicks" (texts) from scam numbers, so we gave him my late-grandmother's iPhone 6S Plus. He seems to get along with it pretty well, but the battery on it is beyond shot and fluctuates wildly, never knowing if the phone will last a couple hours or a couple days kinda defeats the entire point of giving him a phone in the first place.

He hates technology more advanced than a dial-operated CRT television and doesn't want to learn anything new. I thought about swapping the iPhone 6S with a current iPhone SE, but the smaller screen means things would be harder to see; and likewise an iPhone 12 would require him learn the new iOS navigation gestures. Part of me thinks something like a Nokia 2780 would fit the bill, but he did figure out how to check ESPN for sports scores, and now that needs to be available.

I just don't know what's available that works on Verizon that will check sports scores while also just let him call phone numbers without other smartphone functions.

My dad is an octogenarian, and he was resistant to smartphones until I got him a Pixel 6a this year and showed him how much you can control it with voice commands. He's not a Luddite, though, although he had kind of talked himself into thinking he was incapable of learning new things, which has largely vaporized since he has got more familiar with the phone. He has started texting and actually sent me pictures and poo poo, and is able to stay in better touch with my niece because of it.

Not saying that is definitely going to work in your case, but it was close enough I figured I'd share my experience.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My dad is an octogenarian, and he was resistant to smartphones until I got him a Pixel 6a this year and showed him how much you can control it with voice commands. He's not a Luddite, though, although he had kind of talked himself into thinking he was incapable of learning new things, which has largely vaporized since he has got more familiar with the phone. He has started texting and actually sent me pictures and poo poo, and is able to stay in better touch with my niece because of it.

Not saying that is definitely going to work in your case, but it was close enough I figured I'd share my experience.

The main issue with my grandfather isnt that hes convinced himself that he cant figure it out, its that he doesnt want to figure it out. Which is way more frustrating.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If I want an iPhone SE 3, and am able to wait 60 days, is there any reason not to get a $150 one from Straight Talk, let it in a drawer for 60 days, and then put my existing SIM in it when it automatically unlocks?

https://www.straighttalk.com/all-phones/iphone-SE-3rd-generation-prepaid

It looks like all iPhones on straight talk unlock 60 days after purchase, so seems like it's a way to get an iPhone SE for $150 + $60 of service = $210 plus taxes. Did I miss anything?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
what are the main differences between a galaxy 23 and a pixel 7? besides price and OS, is it just the cameras?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have no internet at my place because mice ate the coax and Comcast workers can't get the permits to replace it.

I saw AT&T has a "5G+" plan which claims 30ms latency (so I could actually game with it) and it claims I have full coverage at my place and will let me use 50GB of hotspot. So I walked into the AT&T store today:

- "Your map says I should have 5G+ at my house, can I get a 5G phone/plan here and get a refund if I try it right away and can't get the 5G+"

- "No, restocking fee for the phone is $55"

- "Okay, how about if I borrow someone's phone and check just the plan, do you stand by the 5G+ in that case?"

- "No, you have 2 weeks or you're locked in, and if you return it within the 2 weeks you're still prorated for any the days you use"

Cheapass dodgy fuckers. If I still go through the trouble, is there any chance the 5G+ will work as advertised or are they full of poo poo? When I checked into the mmWave a few years ago you had to be in direct line of sight to a tower and holding your phone out the window or something. Is that the case here?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
AT&T pulled that poo poo on me. Map shows bright green 5g coverage here, but no actual service once I bring a phone here. Support was useless. Took an FCC complaint to get it even semi fixed - now the 5g works HALF the time instead of never!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I have no internet at my place because mice ate the coax and Comcast workers can't get the permits to replace it.

I saw AT&T has a "5G+" plan which claims 30ms latency (so I could actually game with it) and it claims I have full coverage at my place and will let me use 50GB of hotspot. So I walked into the AT&T store today:

- "Your map says I should have 5G+ at my house, can I get a 5G phone/plan here and get a refund if I try it right away and can't get the 5G+"

- "No, restocking fee for the phone is $55"

- "Okay, how about if I borrow someone's phone and check just the plan, do you stand by the 5G+ in that case?"

- "No, you have 2 weeks or you're locked in, and if you return it within the 2 weeks you're still prorated for any the days you use"

Cheapass dodgy fuckers. If I still go through the trouble, is there any chance the 5G+ will work as advertised or are they full of poo poo? When I checked into the mmWave a few years ago you had to be in direct line of sight to a tower and holding your phone out the window or something. Is that the case here?

Wireless internet works fine for video streaming, but I wouldnt bet on it for gaming.

Mobile hotspot also has some kind of data cap, so I wouldnt recommend running your home internet off your phone.

There is wireless home internet from all 3 major carriers, but again for gaming specifically , especially stuff like first person shooter, I wouldnt guarantee it being perfect. It works for stuff like Mario kart, although mileage still would vary.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, yeah. AT&T sucks for a lot of reasons, and poo poo like this is a big one.

My mom and stepdad trialed their service at their place way up in the north of MI (Petoskey/Harbor Springs area) because the coverage map showed their house way up in the woods was under their coverage.

Surprise, it was not. At least they got a good salesman who didn't bullshit them and they had everything laid out for returning the phone(s) if it didn't work.

Anyone who's still with them after their fake 5G shens, I just can't with.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

what are the main differences between a galaxy 23 and a pixel 7? besides price and OS, is it just the cameras?
S23 has a screen with a curved edge, the Pixel 7 has a flat screen (the Pixel 7 Pro has a screen with a curved edge, though).

If you've never had a screen with a curved edge, I highly recommend going to a store and handling it before you buy, it is what turned me off the Pixel 7 Pro.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
What's the best established option for taking my US-based provider phone (Verizon) overseas to EU?

It'll be later this fall, I recognize that I could simply pay the $10/day going through Verizon, but I was also looking at options for simply getting a SIM card, either via Amazon, or when I get to a EU country.

Might get a dual-SIM phone sometime soon, the recognized preference is to put your states-based info on the eSIM, and use the EU SIM as the physical one, correct?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's apps that let you buy international eSIMs you can just load up, though buying in the country may be cheaper. I have one called Airalo on my iPhone. I assume there's similar on Android (and there's probably also websites you can do it at). Worked well for me when I went to Italy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

What's the best established option for taking my US-based provider phone (Verizon) overseas to EU?

It'll be later this fall, I recognize that I could simply pay the $10/day going through Verizon, but I was also looking at options for simply getting a SIM card, either via Amazon, or when I get to a EU country.

Might get a dual-SIM phone sometime soon, the recognized preference is to put your states-based info on the eSIM, and use the EU SIM as the physical one, correct?

How many days are you there ?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

How many days are you there ?

I will be there a little under 14 days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Yeah, local SIM would def be cheaper, the $10 a day is if you dont want to bother. Shouldnt that hard to get a local eSIM programmed in advance now though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Killer_B posted:

Does your plan give you Travel Pass days? Ive accumulated like 12 of them just because of the plan Im on.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Branch Nvidian posted:

Does your plan give you Travel Pass days? Ive accumulated like 12 of them just because of the plan Im on.

I am going to guess probably not, I am on a grandfathered (no longer available) plan, "The new Verizon Plan Single Smartphone 5 GB" plan, that's 5GB/month for $47 before fees/taxes - Ends up being just under $60/month.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to the lowest tier unlimited plan, am I correct?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Killer_B posted:

I am going to guess probably not, I am on a grandfathered (no longer available) plan, "The new Verizon Plan Single Smartphone 5 GB" plan, that's 5GB/month for $47 before fees/taxes - Ends up being just under $60/month.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to the lowest tier unlimited plan, am I correct?

If you're not using much data then I wouldn't think so. My main phone is on a grandfathered Verizon Prepaid plan that also has 5GB per month and, after loyalty discounts, I pay $26.25 per month. I've been kind of half-assedly looking at postpaid plans, but with my usage they just don't sense. I miss out on visual voicemail, and maybe another feature or two they gate behind postpaid plans, but it's hard for me to justify spending at least twice as much as I do now for very little benefit.

That said, I got into the habit of buying unlocked phones outright, so the only thing I pay for is my service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Def not worth changing your plan.

I would get an cheaper Euro plan for while youre there , no point in paying $10 a day with a 5gb cap.

Fyi, cheapest prepaid now is $35 for 15GB, but it is lower data priority , so its not a bad idea to mention like the other poster said, but for $10 I dont know if I would switch it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Swappa has Good/Mint condition Pixel 7 phones for sale for ~$400. Good deal?

My Pixel 4 XL died so currently sitting on my cracked Pixel 3. My carrier is Google Fi but I've heard nothing but nightmares of ordering phones through them.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Hughmoris posted:

Swappa has Good/Mint condition Pixel 7 phones for sale for ~$400. Good deal?

My Pixel 4 XL died so currently sitting on my cracked Pixel 3. My carrier is Google Fi but I've heard nothing but nightmares of ordering phones through them.

The potential issue with Swappa, is that most of the time these days I've found most of the sellers to be bulk warehouse resellers, and they use a generic photo that's meant to be representative of the phone being sold.

Now, not having used Swappa, it might be an issue if one's looking to get WYSIWYG regarding the product, and possibly getting something that might have an (un)known issue with it, but I'm not sure one can take the reviews at face value, as well. I guess at least if Paypal's being used, there's buyer protection, but I've no anecdote to use as a reference.

Nouvelles
Feb 15, 2012
What's my best option for an android phone if I really want a Pixel for the support and clean experience, but physical dual sim is an absolute must? I tried to check if I could switch my personal or work phone plans to eSIM, but nope. :( Personal plan doesn't support it, and work had never heard of this mystical thing and did not want to engage in witchcraft.

I'm in Sweden and currently have a Xiaomi Note 10, and it's a glitchy shitphone with a dying battery and wierd software issues.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nouvelles posted:

What's my best option for an android phone if I really want a Pixel for the support and clean experience, but physical dual sim is an absolute must? I tried to check if I could switch my personal or work phone plans to eSIM, but nope. :( Personal plan doesn't support it, and work had never heard of this mystical thing and did not want to engage in witchcraft.

I'm in Sweden and currently have a Xiaomi Note 10, and it's a glitchy shitphone with a dying battery and wierd software issues.

Xperia 10 V? :shrug: (the variant sold in your region is SIM+eSIM)

Some further research looks like OnePlus Nord 3 5G, OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G, OnePlus 11, and ASUS ZenFone 10 all support dual physical SIMs. The Nord CE 3 Lite 5G is 3690 SEK and comes in a fun lime green color if things like that matter to you.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 18, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a specific term or technical feature I should be looking out for, if I want a phone that I can plug into a hub, plug an monitor into that hub via HDMI, and have the phone run a desktop mode? ... or at the minimum, have the phone be able to project its screen onto the monitor?

is that even common across phones?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a specific term or technical feature I should be looking out for, if I want a phone that I can plug into a hub, plug an monitor into that hub via HDMI, and have the phone run a desktop mode? ... or at the minimum, have the phone be able to project its screen onto the monitor?

is that even common across phones?

Samsung Dex is the only version of this that Im aware of. Some phones might have an HDMI-out via their USB-C ports, but if they do its just going to be the phone UI. Dex is a whole desktop style operating environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8RGMF2m3fA

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dex is pretty solid. I do my classes on my Tab S8+ in Dex mode and it's pretty damned close to just a laptop when I have a mouse attached and the keyboard cover.

Samsung does a lot of stupid software poo poo, but Dex is excluded.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's this a good thread to ask for information about phone accessories such as chargers? Or is there a more apt thread?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Demilich posted:

It's this a good thread to ask for information about phone accessories such as chargers? Or is there a more apt thread?

The general Android thread might be better-suited? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What's the cheapest way to get a hotspot with unlimited data nowadays?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Triikan posted:

My boyfriend uses Visible on his phone and it lets him use it as an unlimited hotspot. He said it is $25 for him but I think it's $30 now if you're not grandfathered. He even torrents on occasion and hasn't run into an issue in years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

My boyfriend uses Visible on his phone and it lets him use it as an unlimited hotspot. He said it is $25 for him but I think it's $30 now if you're not grandfathered. He even torrents on occasion and hasn't run into an issue in years.

While not a bad suggestion, mileage has to vary here on location, Visible is pretty aggressive on throttling.

Triikan posted:

I assume the US ? And also, very limited, everyone is going to have some kind of soft cap on mobile hotspot with very few exceptions. I would need more details on who your current carrier is and what youre using for and how long to make a better recommendation.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I have ATT. I don't really need true unlimited without throttling, just a high enough throttled speed that I could still download updates on my steam deck if I had gone over the cap already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How is Mint Mobile? $15 unlimited is hard to beat, but I imagine it's throttled to hell.

I tried MVNOs in the past but found that way too often I couldn't get any data. I live in a congested area with lots of tourists (Orlando) so I imagine my experience differs from someone in a less dense area.