Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves were mostly terrible at drafting under Coppolella (and abject in the final Frank Wren years though that ended right at 10 years ago), it wasn't until Dana Brown came on board that they actually started doing well on that front, jury's very much out now that he's moved on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rickiep00h posted:

Mostly unrelated, but I unironically love this movie. Dude is one of the best villains of the '80s. Just an absolute beast of a bad guy.

Bloodsport owns and so does Bolo Yeung

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Dang Cubs 2024 season is going right into the trashcan early.

Now I'm tying a Cubs headband around my incredibly muscular calf!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How the hell have the Astros not been to Wrigley in 10 years? The Cubs have been to Minute Maid multiple times in that span, why were we constantly penciled in as the away team in those inter-league series time after time???

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sydin posted:

How the hell have the Astros not been to Wrigley in 10 years? The Cubs have been to Minute Maid multiple times in that span, why were we constantly penciled in as the away team in those inter-league series time after time???

Obligatory “computer schedule lol” but probably because they draw so well due to their national appeal.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs have played 2 series at Yankee Stadium, yet Rizzo never got his homecoming. Javy also.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one likes running into your dangerous rear end brick wall

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bawfuls posted:

listen to episode 762

I will!

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, they have a political leaning (vaguely Bernie-esque left/left center) but it doesn't much come up.

The leftist baseball podcast is Tipping Pitches, the nerd one is EW, and the gay one is Batting Around.

Yeah that works for me. People with good politics who can also actually shut up about it are the best lol. EW is a good vibe. I like their back and forth rhythm and flow. It's dry enough to be a relaxing listen but goofy and loose enough to keep me amused. Of course I could be wrong considering I've barely listened to it but yeah. I like it.

Also that's fine and good but what's the horniest baseball podcast???

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

Penance for getting to no-hit us in Milwaukee in one of our "home" games thanks to a hurricane (Ike I think)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves picked up a Dalton Guthrie from the waiver wire, whatever that is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Exodor posted:

I'm honestly shocked the Royals are in the middle of the pack given how poo poo their scouting and player development has been for the past ~8 years. A list of their cumulative WAR would be a lot uglier for them.

https://twitter.com/downonthefarm12/status/1679574261994864644

They actually fare quite well

Why haven't the Guards won 3 consecutive rings

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Why haven't the Guards Twins won 3 consecutive rings

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Yankees have more than likely gate kept the Twins from at least a World Series appearance over the years

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno why he deleted hte other one but here's one from 2010-2022, but just in terms of who drafted who and not who developed who

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

God I hate Shapiro/Atkins. They've essentially drafted a single player worth a poo poo since they cleaned house.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nodoze posted:

The Yankees have more than likely gate kept the Twins from at least a World Series appearance over the years

loving Cuzzi :argh:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Dodger Stadium has the only wall injury this year that I can think of

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah Judge ran into a door.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

:colbert:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

zoux posted:

Dunno why he deleted hte other one but here's one from 2010-2022, but just in terms of who drafted who and not who developed who

I was wondering why the Angels were below 50 WAR, but Trout was drafted in 2009.

It doesn't feel good being reminded that the Tigers front office has been dogshit for a long time too :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's because Buxton is a full time DH now

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because Buxton is a full time DH now

all in all he's just another brick in the wall

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

all in all he's just another brick in the wall

We don't need no outfield cushions
We don't need no carpal bones
No extra runners start at second
Manfred, leave them kids alone
Hey! Manfred! Leave them kids alone!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

God I hate Shapiro/Atkins. They've essentially drafted a single player worth a poo poo since they cleaned house.

Which is ironic because they (officially) canned Anthopoulous for not prospect hugging hard enough.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Obligatory “computer schedule lol” but probably because they draw so well due to their national appeal.

How much longer will that national appeal last now that they aren't on WGN? Not questioning that they are still, I just wonder if it will still be a thing in 10 years.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ok this is enough time without baseball surely there could be something on the wednesday or thursday of all star week

like this would be a great night for an seniors/over-40s game or something

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

TheBizzness posted:

How much longer will that national appeal last now that they aren't on WGN? Not questioning that they are still, I just wonder if it will still be a thing in 10 years.

I’d bet it stays around for a bit. So much of fandom is inherited.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it will last a long time because these things are generational. Then on top of that there's the ambient national appeal of teams from large cities, because people grow up with a fandom and then move somewhere else. NY/LA/Chicago teams will always travel well for that reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

elentar posted:

ok this is enough time without baseball surely there could be something on the wednesday or thursday of all star week

like this would be a great night for an seniors/over-40s game or something
I don't understand why they moved the Futures Game to Saturday night before the ASG and made it 7 innings. If they hate it that much they just need to get rid of it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

They were equally horrible in Cleveland. Shapiro couldn’t draft worth a drat during his tenure, he was much better at trades. I think from the time he took over in 2001 until he left in 2015, the only good first rounders were Lindor and Triston McKenzie. Now, admittedly, those were big gets - but the rest of the list is a who’s who of who cares. The best names after them might be David Huff and Ryan Garko, and that’s being generous.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

zoux posted:

I think these numbers are particularly effective at showing franchise competence, a combination of drafting and player development. Yes, Arte really does run a terrible organization.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bees x1000 posted:

I think these numbers are particularly effective at showing franchise competence, a combination of drafting and player development. Yes, Arte really does run a terrible organization.

Mike Trout himself has 83 WAR, which really makes you wonder how bad those other picks were to pull them down to 50 as an org.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

Player development also involves a lot of players a team doesn't draft though

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

rickiep00h posted:

Mike Trout himself has 83 WAR, which really makes you wonder how bad those other picks were to pull them down to 50 as an org.

Trout's numbers aren't included, he was drafted in 2009

bawfuls posted:

Player development also involves a lot of players a team doesn't draft though

it's true, but the Angels farm system is consistently ranked low. whether drafting or trading, it's a combination of not picking the right dudes and not giving the dudes we do have the right help.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh whoops, that wasn't meant as a defense of Arte and his incompetence, just an observation on the chart overall

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Brian. Cashman.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Which is ironic because they (officially) canned Anthopoulous for not prospect hugging hard enough.

And then they traded for Daulton Varsho

Imagine what AA would have done with a 250 million dollar payroll

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Say what you will about the Astros but they've been the kings of player development forever now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

And then they traded for Daulton Varsho

Imagine what AA would have done with a 250 million dollar payroll

The Braves payroll is almost that so just imagine a few more wins for the best team in the league

e: gently caress, finally got an immaculate grid

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Stros absolutely nailed their top (hitter) picks during the tank years. Springer, Correa, Bregman, Tucker, plus taking the flyer on Altuve.

While not quite as impressive, a lot of everyday players this year were drafted in the early championship years (Peña, McCormick, Meyers, Julks, Hunter Brown)