Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Add picking a fight with the FTC to the list of things Musk is trying to do right now.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/tech/twitter-ftc-privacy/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
7 + 12 + 23 = 42 + 2 - 0 = 44 billion pissed up a wall by a man child.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Adams would have loving hated Musk, the Hitchhiker's Guide series is largely dedicated to making fun of the kind of dehumanizing woo-brained capitalism Musk is the avatar of

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

this feels like extreme divorced dad energy, but it may just be my divorced dad

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Honestly the bottom two seem less likely to scam me.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Nosferatu predicted alla this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at him spiking search results with that because people are talking about the glass house he wanted to build named Project 42

literally transparent

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1679550723174834201?t=Pytw90ham5gTLUywZX2zhQ&s=19

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
lmao yeah right

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Add picking a fight with the FTC to the list of things Musk is trying to do right now.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/tech/twitter-ftc-privacy/index.html

After they ruled in favor of the Xbox Activision thing maybe he expects the FTC to cave easy?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

when’s the last time musk actually faced consequence for any of the poo poo he’s done on the watch of various completely toothless in the face of billionaires government agencies

i can’t get excited about him kicking the hornets nest when we know it’s empty and he’s just gonna get bored and go back to sticking his fingers in the sockets at twitter once he’s had enough ‘lol epic win sir’ from his sycophant squad and there’s been an official ruling that he maybe he should cut it out

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

you think Brian Krassenstein would just post lies on the internet?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

What time period is this supposed to cover?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sorry people like to click on your website too much elon

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

MockingQuantum posted:

we need a word for the phenomenon where rightwingers discover that they're unpopular not because there's some conspiracy preventing their explosive popularity, but because all their posts and opinions are dogshit, I've seen it happen a couple of times in the wild already and it's hilarious

we don't actually, because other than those two times, the chuds always assume there's a deeper conspiracy, there's no way their posts could be bad and hated by everyone right

edit: incidentally if you're still on twitter for whatever reason, if you just tweet "skill issue" in response to these dumbasses it gets them disproportionately mad, it's great

Why aren’t thousands of people liking my posts that I would never actually say to people on the street because I would get my rear end kicked?!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’m sure someone forgot to put the decimal places for cents and that should be $250.

Lol, I hope that Twitter has just paid their whole Twitter Blue sub revenue to creators as a coding error.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Yeah he just paid a sex trafficker (tate) $20,000 as well

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

History Comes Inside! posted:

when’s the last time musk actually faced consequence for any of the poo poo he’s done on the watch of various completely toothless in the face of billionaires government agencies

i can’t get excited about him kicking the hornets nest when we know it’s empty and he’s just gonna get bored and go back to sticking his fingers in the sockets at twitter once he’s had enough ‘lol epic win sir’ from his sycophant squad and there’s been an official ruling that he maybe he should cut it out

I would argue that buying twitter was a consequence

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

roffles posted:

What time period is this supposed to cover?
6 months I think? Also the hurdle right now is averaging 5m impressions over a 3 month period, and that's after you apply for "content creator" status, which itiself is a bar laying on the floor

shyduck has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Jul 13, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Like right now it's all the large accounts bragging how they won the lottery by posting and you can too

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Goffer posted:

Yeah he just paid a sex trafficker (tate) $20,000 as well

Yeah but what did Twitter pay Tate for ad revenue?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

all four of these IPs are linode/akamai addresses, a large and reputable cloud hosting company that surely would turn over the identities of the customers that used those IP addresses upon the receipt of valid legal process. would be very funny if the suit simply got tossed out for failure to state a claim or something before it even got to that point though.

it's also trivial to distinguish traffic from data center networks vs. consumer/business internet connections ("eyeball networks"), see e.g. https://security.googleblog.com/2015/07/working-together-to-filter-automated.html for one group of online advertising companies that have been putting together a blocklist for years. you can already assume with pretty good confidence that signups from data center networks are gonna be fraudulent, with i guess weird exceptions like nerds running their own DIY VPNs in the cloud. but i'd find it hard to believe that pre-elon twitter wouldn't already have severely rate-limited signups and page views from data center IPs, just as a default, blanket security posture.

so if this incident was kicked off by a handful of linode VMs this heavily implies that their pre-existing anti-abuse capabilities have severely degraded (speaking solely of technical "anti-abuse" not the contents of tweets lol). like maybe they just turned off all the poo poo that imported the latest data into their rate-limiter system or something. surely there were a bunch of specialized non-redundant workloads in that sacramento data center musk unplugged.

also upon a close reading of the facts that they allege in their lawsuit

quote:

22. Recently, X Corp. identified particular IP addresses—including those belonging to Defendants—that were flooding Twitter’s sign-up page with automated requests.
23. The volume of these requests far exceeded what any single individual could send to a server in a given period and clearly indicated that these automated requests were aimed at scraping data from Twitter.
24. These requests have severely taxed X Corp.’s servers and impaired the user experience for millions of X Corp.’s customers.
25. Data scraping companies profit off the innovation of companies like X Corp. while harming X Corp. and compromising user data.
26. By unlawfully scaping [sic] data, Defendants flagrantly ignore not only X Corp.’s Terms of Service, but also the privacy preferences of Twitter users.

they never actually allege that the IP addresses scraped tweets, only that they sent large amounts of account signups, then they assume that those signups must have been because they wanted to scrape data (and not say clicking like on musk's tweets). maybe that's just a drafting mistake or maybe they just turned off all the logging that they would have needed to identify the scraping IPs (since log storage costs money). so maybe the signup logs are all they have. if so perhaps the people doing automated signups aren't the same people doing the scraping in which case this lawsuit is even funnier.

anyway i'd bet that the global rate-limits and login wall that they threw up didn't have anything to do with stabilizing the site and the scrapers changed up their tactics once they realized the site was falling over

in fact i'd bet that these scrapers had been scraping along at a consistent rate all the time and it was only around the time of the google cloud contract expiration that elon probably tried to remove a bunch of capacity from their services and found out, whoops, there's a thing called capacity planning that you could do if you hadn't deleted all your logs and metrics rather than just making poo poo up

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just a Moron posted:

I would argue that buying twitter was a consequence

that wasn’t a government agency that was other billionaires

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elon Musk sent me a broken toilet. Thanks.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

red19fire posted:

*extremely Elon voice* Yeah it’s a really obscure novel, it’s called The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. You’ve probably never heard of it.

Oh wow, who is your favorite character, Elon?

“The erm, uh main character. The Doctor. He travels in a magical telephone booth.

Sadly they made him into a woman recently so it’s woke now.”

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Bip Roberts posted:

it's absolutely the date don't marry zone of crazy

I got drinks with someone last night who dumped her boyfriend of 4 years because she pressured him into opening their relationship and he immediately started loving his ex

What zone is that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

coconono posted:

Source?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

I got drinks with someone last night who dumped her boyfriend of 4 years because she pressured him into opening their relationship and he immediately started loving his ex

What zone is that

lol owned

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

coconono posted:

Let that stink in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

What zone is that

The Bone Zone

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

What zone is that

the one dudes rock ending to a poly story

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

no cents is weird.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Great things are happening

https://twitter.com/TitterDaily/status/1679587033696595970?t=xBmWJeaVNF9Ed0ciXrLoag&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is pretty much the beginning of their end.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
elon musk never sleeps, he says he will never die

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

data $0 (we aren't paying our cloud suppliers anymore)
rent $0 (we aren't paying our rent anymore)
krassenstein payments $24305
utilities $0 (see above)

someone who is good at the economy help me budget this. my company is dying

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

elon musk never sleeps, he says he will never die

mad?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Nonsense posted:

This is pretty much the beginning of their end.

Dear Advertiser,

Please be aware that your financial contributions to Tiwtter are directly being forwarded to neo-nazis, stalkers and criminals.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

$100k to an account that just reposts other people's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

MCDONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!