Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am playing Octopath Traveler II and it's amusing how most of the character quests set you up to be some hero of the people fighting for liberation from tyranny yet you spend 90% of your time stealing, mugging, incapacitating, and otherwise inconveniencing the common townsfolk. A deft commentary on the problematic nature of vigilantism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's called "breaking a few eggs" and it's only natural

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I supposed we'll have to agree to disagree on the animation here.

Sure but I'd still like to understand your perspective. Is something like Family Guy better animation to you?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You could just ask nicely for items with the dancer, or buy them with the merchant before you resort to ~crimes~

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Saint Freak posted:

You could just ask nicely for items with the dancer, or buy them with the merchant before you resort to ~crimes~

I take what I want.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I do not have a positive spin for the whole 'eat your pokemon' system though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the neat thing about this cape is that you can project whatever design you want onto it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

the neat thing about this cape is that you can project whatever design you want onto it

Zelda CD-I is clearly way ahead of it's time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna say what we're all thinking: the zelda cdi cutscenes are, without exception, much more entertaining than any totk cutscene

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I'm gonna say what we're all thinking: the zelda cdi cutscenes are, without exception, much more entertaining than any totk cutscene

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you have a Samsung Galaxy, check the perks menu of the Samsung Wallet app to get a 25 dollar Xbox gift card, that's basically three free months of PC Game Pass

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Zelda CDI didn't make me watch basically the same cutscene about secret stones and the imprisoning war 4 times.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a technical breakdown on what exactly the "Carbon Engine" Limited Run has been touting?

Seems like just emulation with tweaks

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

If you have a Samsung Galaxy, check the perks menu of the Samsung Wallet app to get a 25 dollar Xbox gift card, that's basically three free months of PC Game Pass

Nice. I have a Flip and it didn't seem to show up in Perks tab for me, but it was in Menu > Promotions so maybe look there if you have different Samsung devices.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I am playing Octopath Traveler II and it's amusing how most of the character quests set you up to be some hero of the people fighting for liberation from tyranny yet you spend 90% of your time stealing, mugging, incapacitating, and otherwise inconveniencing the common townsfolk. A deft commentary on the problematic nature of vigilantism.

Pay close attention to the flavor text on NPCs because, brilliantly, they absolutely comment pretty overtly on the fact that every player is gonna do this poo poo and it’s hilarious. Also a very dim view of humanity in general which I kinda love for how brazen it is.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Zelda CDI didn't make me watch basically the same cutscene about secret stones and the imprisoning war 4 times.

Don't forget... You have the power to skip them...

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
exquisite tea manifesting things into the world today, Octopath Traveler 2 is on a 25% off sale in the eShop right now for the first time. I may buy it!

Does it have good music?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Knowing what I know now I would instead recommend shaking down 12-year olds at your local Gamestop until one of them coughs up a copy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

External Organs posted:

Does it have good music?

The soundtrack is great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Don't forget... You have the power to skip them...

I respect all cutscenes good, bad, and redundant.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I prioritised finding the geoglyphs so I could see more totk cutscenes :kiddo:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
trying to imagine the mindset that comes out of totk and thinks 'you know what i want to talk about about this game for the next year? the cutscenes'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they were cut scenes, why are they still in the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not like anyone has a better idea.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no no I said we're having cut scones

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

no no I said we're having cut scones

A Schmear of the Kingdom

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I want to try actually completing an XCOM 2 playthrough for once. should I do a run without war of the chosen enabled first?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

External Organs posted:

exquisite tea manifesting things into the world today, Octopath Traveler 2 is on a 25% off sale in the eShop right now for the first time. I may buy it!

Does it have good music?

It has the best music

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

VostokProgram posted:

I want to try actually completing an XCOM 2 playthrough for once. should I do a run without war of the chosen enabled first?

No, definitely enable it. Enhances the experience tenfold.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

no, choose your war

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FreshFromSewer/status/1679562564810969088?t=DblPodKVSOCMz0wneqC8lQ&s=19

Ha, cool.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Doom 2 is exhausting. Why would anyone take a game like Doom and think "you know what would be fun? slowly and carefully navigating a maze made of 1 pixel thick paths over a poison pit". Huge maps with the critical path hidden as though its supposed to be an invincibility secret. Tons of bullshit teleport traps and leaps of faith you're forced to walk in to. I was always willing to roll with mistakes in 1 because the punishment when I hosed up was usually reasonable. I don't know how anyone gets through 2 the first time without becoming intimately familiar with quicksave.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

VostokProgram posted:

It's not exactly the advice you're looking for, but due to being in a similar boat and having much difficulty keeping an XCOM 2 playthrough going, I've actually had a lot more success playing XCOM Chimera Squad as it's a lot less stressful, compact and very moreish. Maybe you'd have better luck as well? Though some of the ways it differs might be dealbreakers, mayhaps.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
hello is there a thread for finding a game that i half remember? like it was an isometric RPG and the beginning of the game there was some kind of prison riot and i could have sworn on the life of everyone i care about that it was a dungeons and dragons game, maybe neverwinter nights? but i've looked at none of them begin with a prison riot. wtf

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Xcom2 is boring play 1 or Long War or Xenonauts

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone yesterday on the forums said that the list of Limited Run Games announced yesterday, was something that Modern Vintage Gamer would come up with, and well actually.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5QC7b0ehsM

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ELTON JOHN posted:

hello is there a thread for finding a game that i half remember? like it was an isometric RPG and the beginning of the game there was some kind of prison riot and i could have sworn on the life of everyone i care about that it was a dungeons and dragons game, maybe neverwinter nights? but i've looked at none of them begin with a prison riot. wtf

sort of sounds like baldur's gate 2. not exactly a prison riot but you do start being held prisoner (cages and stuff around) being experimented on and then the dungeon you're in gets attacked and you are able to escape during the chaos

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ELTON JOHN posted:

hello is there a thread for finding a game that i half remember?

yep
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna post the latest trailer cause the music is real catchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYUSpJ5H74