Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Sometimes decades have a days worth kf interest in them. Other times, entire decades happen in a Few days. In russias case, it took 500 days to go backwards 8 decades.

Don't have the US to make an unholy amount of poo poo to supply them with this time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Old guns for the army, modern guns for the black market. Arm the troops and make money on the side. It’s win-win the Russian way.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Am I alone in half expecting to see lend-lease P-39s over the skies of Ukraine at some point in the near future?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

XYZAB posted:

Am I alone in half expecting to see lend-lease P-39s over the skies of Ukraine at some point in the near future?

Russia still has 1 B-29 Tu-4 at a museum, I'm sure no one would expect to be bombed by those

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's funny how bad Russia is at fighting war since they're still giving Ukraine a really bad go of it. Imagine if they were just 10% more competent lol

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Dr.Smasher posted:

Russia still has 1 B-29 Tu-4 at a museum, I'm sure no one would expect to be bombed by those

They only took off a year ago, they're still climbing to altitude

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

It's funny how bad Russia is at fighting war since they're still giving Ukraine a really bad go of it. Imagine if they were just 10% more competent lol

We are very lucky they are so loving stupid.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Russia has been pretty conservative using its airforce. All the bombs and missiles lobbed at Ukrainian cities are launched from well within Russian-controlled airspace.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Der Kyhe posted:

Comparing these two, if their elite got that collection of random AK's its fully believable that militia gets this, even if they have to share the only box of ammo they found for the guns.
I would believe the old rear end Russian poo poo being deployed but the Thompson SMG and the fact that the equipment looks like it was maintained/stored well makes me doubt the claims.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its a paradox of sorts that the Western gear really doesn't do short work of the enemy when they have to deal with WW1-style layout of minefield after minefield with dug in and sometimes fortified positions between them everywhere, and forced to fight without an air superiority.

No-one sane was thinking that we will have a war where the other side is doing a WW1 re-enactment to slow down everything to a crawl, while crazy or dedicated enough to keep throwing manpower in it to keep it together.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
of course Putin is using Ukrainian civ slave labor to build trenches, I mean why not, it's so obvious I can't believe I hadn't thrown that on the pile already

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

beer_war posted:

Russia has been pretty conservative using its airforce. All the bombs and missiles lobbed at Ukrainian cities are launched from well within Russian-controlled airspace.

They wouldn't still have one if they weren't. The same applies to the .ua air force, for what it's worth. Neither have stealth, both have formidable AA, neither have both the coordination and numbers or SEAD/DEAD tech to successfully overwhelm the other.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah say what you will, the Soviet era AAA whips absolute rear end and will happily shoot down anything.

Theres also the issue or like 70% of russias air force being in indefinite "maintainace" because all the funds gor embezzled so they have airbases full of planes that will never fly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Also the new shiny patriots are dropping loving Russian planes in Russian territory so uhh yeah I don't think they want to fly sorties into the country.

I mean NOW especially they're fearful knowing how many planes are getting dropped a week. Those are irreplaceable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

of course Putin is using Ukrainian civ slave labor to build trenches, I mean why not, it's so obvious I can't believe I hadn't thrown that on the pile already

Nazis did the same building the Atlantikwall, and other war infrastructure

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah say what you will, the Soviet era AAA whips absolute rear end and will happily shoot down anything.

Theres also the issue or like 70% of russias air force being in indefinite "maintainace" because all the funds gor embezzled so they have airbases full of planes that will never fly.

In the early days, Russian attempts to fly large aircraft over Ukraine resulted in them being shot down. I seem to recall that they lost several hundred VDV soldiers after a transport plane went down in a fireball.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The_Franz posted:

In the early days, Russian attempts to fly large aircraft over Ukraine resulted in them being shot down. I seem to recall that they lost several hundred VDV soldiers after a transport plane went down in a fireball.

They also lost huge amount of helicopters in a very short timespan, and only some of them by parking them to an airfield that was within UAFs artillery range.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Its a paradox of sorts that the Western gear really doesn't do short work of the enemy when they have to deal with WW1-style layout of minefield after minefield with dug in and sometimes fortified positions between them everywhere, and forced to fight without an air superiority.

And Ukraine's current undramatic incremental progress hasn't even reached Russia's "first line" of entrenched fortified positions. The addition of cluster munitions won't make short work of these positions but they are going to be invaluable in breaching them if they can finally reach them. Russia is absolutely counting on Ukraine being unable to break those prepared lines. That early prediction of a "10 year" war was hopefully an overestimation, but does illustrate the magnitude of the challenge Ukraine is facing.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

the popes toes posted:

And Ukraine's current undramatic incremental progress hasn't even reached Russia's "first line" of entrenched fortified positions. The addition of cluster munitions won't make short work of these positions but they are going to be invaluable in breaching them if they can finally reach them. Russia is absolutely counting on Ukraine being unable to break those prepared lines. That early prediction of a "10 year" war was hopefully an overestimation, but does illustrate the magnitude of the challenge Ukraine is facing.

It's not like the fortifications UA have been popping were slapped together by light infantry over a day, they had control over that territory for a while and did not want to give it up. I'm not trying to say the first line is a trivial obstacle but everyone's acting like it's the Maginot Line.
I mean we'll see, I don't really know, but given everything else we've seen I find it hard to believe it's such hot poo poo that it will bring them to a complete standstill for a year+ when Ukraine is acing generals and ammo depots weekly.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Celexi posted:

do you guys remember when a bunch of russians got dropped into kiev airport for no reason and were lost

Next on SMO Or Sitcom!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

the popes toes posted:

Yeah this is the salient view.

Russia is, for some reason, a really big fan of drawn-out quagmires, even more than America. Syria, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Georgia, Ukraine, The CAR civil war, etc.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
F-16s will be a game changer when they finally arrive, it's taking far too long for this to happen

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I love it every time I see on twitter or discord that Bernie is a neocon because he supports Ukraine and NATO supporting them. Awesome.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

F-16s will be a game changer when they finally arrive, it's taking far too long for this to happen

I can see it helping but I don't personally think it will be a game changer. There just won't be enough of them in Ukraines hands

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

I love it every time I see on twitter or discord that Bernie is a neocon because he supports Ukraine and NATO supporting them. Awesome.

Žižek espousing a similar opinion seems to have broken a lot of brains too.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Tankies aren't very smart tbh.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

:wtc:
How do peoples' brains become this broken, just loving how

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s just something with the internet and hot dog men

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Tai posted:

I can see it helping but I don't personally think it will be a game changer. There just won't be enough of them in Ukraines hands

If they fly them as low as they do helicopters, though...

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I think attrition will ultimately end the war - either through mass desertion by troops or a repeat of 1917

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Toxic Mental posted:

Zizek and Bernie have been wrong on several things, but I feel comfortable having the same opinion as them here. It sure beats sharing the opinion of Kissinger and Chomsky.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The_Franz posted:

Žižek espousing a similar opinion seems to have broken a lot of brains too.

Famous neocons list:

1. an insanely based lifelong Marxist

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Lol you read Twitter and Discord.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The_Franz posted:

IIRC the transport plane full of troops going down turned out to be a false report.

Tai posted:

Also F-16s aren't exactly stealthy, so I'm not sure they're going to be able to do any significant force projection with them given the massive amounts of anti-air Russia has.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lol you read Twitter and Discord.

It’s my job as a black mold brain analyst, part time after my job at the dick sucking factory ends

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

I'm still putting very little faith in these "prepared positions" that Russia has made.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

EasilyConfused posted:

IIRC the transport plane full of troops going down turned out to be a false report.

Also F-16s aren't exactly stealthy, so I'm not sure they're going to be able to do any significant force projection with them given the massive amounts of anti-air Russia has.

Depending on when they actually arrive, a chunk of the anti-air systems would well be lost through battlefield attrition, or redirected back to the home front to protect various strategic bits and bobs there, making the sky just that bit safer. But there are a fuckton of those systems that will still remain by then.

e: CAESAR systems are going to be ramped up in production to supply Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1679495898160852994

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

EasilyConfused posted:

Chappie would disagree!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
zizek is a lacanian before he is a marxist and he is a slovene before he is a lacanian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

EasilyConfused posted:

They can't safely go further with them, but they don't have to jerry-rig western munitions and do weird ground-programming chicanery like they did with those antiradar missiles to make it work at all. Between that and soft factors they should actually be more effective than the MiG-29s they've been using (iirc), but not decisive.

Ronwayne posted:

Zizek and Bernie have been wrong on several things, but I feel comfortable having the same opinion as them here. It sure beats sharing the opinion of Kissinger and Chomsky.

:hai:

Anders posted:

I think attrition will ultimately end the war - either through mass desertion by troops or a repeat of 1917

It's almost never to the last man, though. I'm not sure it's fair to call a morale break leading to mass desertion attrition, that is actually one side's victory unless they're just as close to breaking and aren't pushing.