Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

Did they mess up the ship silhouette again

Also the aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

orange juche posted:

Did they mess up the ship silhouette again

And the aircraft

Efb

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
At least they got the flag right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Whose bote is that? I knew the planes were hosed, but I don't know most ship silhouettes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Whose bote is that? I knew the planes were hosed, but I don't know most ship silhouettes.

A Moskva-class cruiser :lol:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A Moskva-class cruiser :lol:

I think they prefer the word “submersible”.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anything can be a submarine once!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elviscat posted:

Anything can be a submarine once!

Alternatively, all submarines are shipwrecks that have resurfaced of their own accord.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Temporarily embarrassed shipwrecks

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Mandatory command wide training day booked at a base training venue.

Venue is locked.

Organization!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

Venue is locked.

Organization!

Shove a sailor though a window. Get creative man.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Laranzu posted:

Venue is locked.

Organization!

Welp, early liberty it is

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

McNally posted:

Also the aircraft.
What are those?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What are those?

They're noisy machines that fly through the air, but that's not important right now.

Su-27's

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

War Boi posted:

If your mother had the abortion she clearly couldn’t afford after freebasing for the first two trimesters not only would this forum be better for it, but who or whatever is unfortunate enough to have to live with you would be as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I empathize with this post and appreciate the honesty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
gently caress off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like this thread needs some distraction!

Here, have a photo of a frigate that won't be able to defend the bits behind it when the shooting starts :v:

(Also obligatory: gently caress The Navy)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I had occasion to see one of my old boat buddies last week, he works for fuckin' NASA now after getting dual engineering degrees.

Pretty much 100% for everyone I know doing much, much better out the Navy than in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my time in the Navy began making more sense when I stopped thinking about it as a military force and more as a giant jobs program for people who are unfit for regular life/grift for the MIC

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

I had occasion to see one of my old boat buddies last week, he works for fuckin' NASA now after getting dual engineering degrees.

Pretty much 100% for everyone I know doing much, much better out the Navy than in.

Conversely, I know at least two have committed suicide and only four got degrees.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Conversely, I know at least two have committed suicide and only four got degrees.

Oddly enough I know 4 Nukes that I worked with that transitioned. I don't know their degree status, but one of them has an only fans.

My current workplace, in my department, is about 50% Navy folks and many of them have degrees and they all make more 100k. I am, to my knowledge, the only person at work with a gender studies degree, much to the chagrin of my chuddy coworkers.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
What's the policy in this thread about crusty old retired first classes sharing sea stories that are probably too long but are absolutely 100% true and probably 0% interesting to anyone else?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So in other words, a regular sea story

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why the gently caress not, says I, who only ever shares true but boring stories. I also wasn’t in the navy so whatever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

What's the policy in this thread about crusty old retired first classes sharing sea stories that are probably too long but are absolutely 100% true and probably 0% interesting to anyone else?

If there was a prohibition on it, I'd be threadbanned, that's for sure.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

Tell us about the stupidest sailor you ever personally knew! That's my favorite genre of sea story.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Tell us about the stupidest sailor you ever personally knew! That's my favorite genre of sea story.

There's always a stupider sailor. Doesn't matter the dumbest story you've heard, there's always a stupider one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Mine is more sad than anything.

We had a youngish EN report onboard my first ship. Initial reports all tagged him as a nice but completely useless. He came off a CVN, and we were an MCM where everyone has multiple hats and if you can't pull your weight, you get shunned real quick. He wasn't able to qualify anything, and people got increasingly frustrated with him. I sat him down as the TRAINO to see what the deal was. Apparently, his recruiter somehow sneaked him through as a perspective AO which is why he was initially sent off to a carrier. He said he took the ASVAB three times before they would accept him. (I later checked his record, and he was telling the truth. His passing score was a 36. It was pretty obvious speaking with him that he had a moderate learning disability.) Part of his contract required him to get a few basic ordnance quals before they'd send him to A-school. Apparently, he immediately got in everyone's bad graces on the carrier and spent all three years relegated to garbage watch. He literally didn't qualify a single watch station. So, because he failed to uphold his AO contract, they redesignated him to EN and sent him our way. To Japan. I brought this up to the CO, and the decision was that we were going to just hold onto him until his EAOS and not recommend him for reenlistment.

Eventually, reports started coming up that he was sleep walking into the AMR and MMR spaces which :stare: So, we had to put a medical watch on him while we were underway. That didn't help matters. We started working on getting him a medical discharge. Then things tumbled even further when he was twice reported for groping guys in their racks. He didn't deny it when we brought him to mast. Though, I'm still not sure how reliable those reports are. Eventually, we just TAD'd him to the staff until his medical discharge paperwork went through.

If I ever meet the recruiter who signed that kid up, I'm going to sock him in the goddamn face.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

So in other words, a regular sea story

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

One of the stupidest nukes I know is working at Walmart. He sells guns, which he refers to as "school supplies" his kid got expelled from elementary school for repeating that joke.

I was really surprised to see one of my friends off my old boat, who did nothing but hump people, get removed from watch, gently caress up maintenance, and cap his career off with a DUI as a capped first and lost two chevrons, is now coordinating with multiple engineering companies from countries around the world to commission new solar/wind/stored energy power plants, which kinda blows my mind.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Alright so here's my long rear end sea story that is one of my favorites out of 20 years that I can talk about publicly. I was on the EMORY S LAND in La Madd as part of the repair department. I had previous experience as DAPA at SubSchool and was going to try and go to SARP school to finish off my 20 as an addictions counselor. I ran a chit to relieve the E7 that was running the program because I saw that he was doing things to actively put the command on the poo poo list and as a First Class, that didn't go well for me when the chief found out, but when he transferred I took over. My office was a converted state room so that fewer people saw who was coming and going out of my office. Eventually my department head was a Mustang LT and he did not like me one bit. Didn't like my office in O country, didn't like a lot about me. Which I get. I can be a lot.

It also didn't help me that the XO and I got along very well and the CO shared a story with me about his family's problems with addiction. Frequently the XO would come into my office for coffee, and he allowed me some leeway in interracting with him. Everyone hated him but he was a former STS so we had a nice bond. Turns out the XO HATED my department head, and when he realized I was close with the XO, I got to feel the brunt of his pettiness.

I was asked to be the MC for a First Class's retirement ceremony and I humbly agreed to. This was one of those guys who stayed in La Madd and Naples his entire career. He was a JO (journalist) and worked at the TV stations that my brain has successfully blocked out what they are called right now. Anyway he knew a lot of people and a lot of top brass was going to be there for his ceremony. LT called me to his office and demanded to know every word I was going to say. Which is fair since once again, I can be a lot. However I am a good public speaker and 1) wasn't planning on writing a speech and 2) didn't loving care about this dumb rear end request. Then he told me that at least one admiral would be there and he asked if I knew who the gues speaker was. I shrugged and said, "I dunno, some Master Chief." Dude went OFF on me.

He was not a submariner so along with being hated by his boss, he apparently was catching flak that submariners are better, from other officers. He couldn't believe I didn't know that the Submarine Force Master Chief was the guest of honor and how pathetic I was as a submariner if I didn't know that and how he was tired of hearing how much better submariners are and here I am looking like a failure and so on. Then I got dismissed. He didn't ask me for my speech though.

There we are the day of the ceremony and sure enough there ar two admirals and a bunch of other clowns in the front two rows. When it came time for the introduction, I said something along the lines that you could all read the Master Chief's resume in the program and that he has indeed had an exemplary military career. But what isn't in there is the person side, the human being. We aren't just uniforms, we are a product of where we came from. And then I talked about his extensive fandom of the Red Sox. Growing up in the shadow of the Green Monster, waiting patiently on Yawkey Way to catch a glimpse of Yaz and his other favorite players. And on and on about how much of a Red Sox fan he was and how that contributed to the man he became.

"And with that, Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Sub Force Master Chief, Dean Irwin."

I turned around to shake his hand and he pulled me in close and whispered, "I'm going to loving kill you." The whole time I was going on about his Boston background, my buddy was behind me giggling and I could see his wife stifling a laugh. And I felt his eyes burning a hole through my head.

He went to the mic and said, "Two things - I'm a lifelong Yankees fan" and evryone started to laugh. "Petty Officer Lemur knows this because I was his COB on Seawolf and we keep crossing paths. The other thing is that I can sill detail him one more time in his career, and I think it might be ADAK."

There was only one face in the crowd that wasn't smiling or laughing and it was my LT, staring daggers at me. And I just smiled back appropriately. He was indeed my COB and was a former STS as well. We used to prank the poo poo out of him because 21 was a new platform and there were many opportunities to gently caress with older boat guys. He helped me during my check out interview on 21 to the point that my Senior Chief got fired (I wasn't the only one he was loving with and we all had receipts). I ran into him my first day in La Madd as he was leaving La Madd. He said if I ever needed anything to just call him. I told him I was going to need his help getting to the SARP detailer in three years and he nodded and told me to let him know. And he absolutely called my regular detailer and made it happen when the time came.

Afterwards the JAG told me that he heard one of the admirals tell my LT to let me know that I did a good job. He told me that because he know my LT was not going to tell me. The JAG and I were good friends and neither of us was on the GQ watchbill so he would come to my office and we would play NHL on my Xbox. Turns out a lot of officers don't want to go on liberty with the JAG and no one wants to go on liberty with the DAPA, so we got along great.

Anyway that was one time I "got over" on that LT. I have another great Man Overboard story but I don't know if anyone cares after I spewed this poo poo out. I hope you liked it. There are refreshments and handouts on the table on your way out.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Flyinglemur posted:

Alright so here's my long rear end sea story that is one of my favorites out of 20 years that I can talk about publicly. I was on the EMORY S LAND in La Madd as part of the repair department. I had previous experience as DAPA at SubSchool and was going to try and go to SARP school to finish off my 20 as an addictions counselor. I ran a chit to relieve the E7 that was running the program because I saw that he was doing things to actively put the command on the poo poo list and as a First Class, that didn't go well for me when the chief found out, but when he transferred I took over. My office was a converted state room so that fewer people saw who was coming and going out of my office. Eventually my department head was a Mustang LT and he did not like me one bit. Didn't like my office in O country, didn't like a lot about me. Which I get. I can be a lot.

It also didn't help me that the XO and I got along very well and the CO shared a story with me about his family's problems with addiction. Frequently the XO would come into my office for coffee, and he allowed me some leeway in interracting with him. Everyone hated him but he was a former STS so we had a nice bond. Turns out the XO HATED my department head, and when he realized I was close with the XO, I got to feel the brunt of his pettiness.

I was asked to be the MC for a First Class's retirement ceremony and I humbly agreed to. This was one of those guys who stayed in La Madd and Naples his entire career. He was a JO (journalist) and worked at the TV stations that my brain has successfully blocked out what they are called right now. Anyway he knew a lot of people and a lot of top brass was going to be there for his ceremony. LT called me to his office and demanded to know every word I was going to say. Which is fair since once again, I can be a lot. However I am a good public speaker and 1) wasn't planning on writing a speech and 2) didn't loving care about this dumb rear end request. Then he told me that at least one admiral would be there and he asked if I knew who the gues speaker was. I shrugged and said, "I dunno, some Master Chief." Dude went OFF on me.

He was not a submariner so along with being hated by his boss, he apparently was catching flak that submariners are better, from other officers. He couldn't believe I didn't know that the Submarine Force Master Chief was the guest of honor and how pathetic I was as a submariner if I didn't know that and how he was tired of hearing how much better submariners are and here I am looking like a failure and so on. Then I got dismissed. He didn't ask me for my speech though.

There we are the day of the ceremony and sure enough there ar two admirals and a bunch of other clowns in the front two rows. When it came time for the introduction, I said something along the lines that you could all read the Master Chief's resume in the program and that he has indeed had an exemplary military career. But what isn't in there is the person side, the human being. We aren't just uniforms, we are a product of where we came from. And then I talked about his extensive fandom of the Red Sox. Growing up in the shadow of the Green Monster, waiting patiently on Yawkey Way to catch a glimpse of Yaz and his other favorite players. And on and on about how much of a Red Sox fan he was and how that contributed to the man he became.

"And with that, Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Sub Force Master Chief, Dean Irwin."

I turned around to shake his hand and he pulled me in close and whispered, "I'm going to loving kill you." The whole time I was going on about his Boston background, my buddy was behind me giggling and I could see his wife stifling a laugh. And I felt his eyes burning a hole through my head.

He went to the mic and said, "Two things - I'm a lifelong Yankees fan" and evryone started to laugh. "Petty Officer Lemur knows this because I was his COB on Seawolf and we keep crossing paths. The other thing is that I can sill detail him one more time in his career, and I think it might be ADAK."

There was only one face in the crowd that wasn't smiling or laughing and it was my LT, staring daggers at me. And I just smiled back appropriately. He was indeed my COB and was a former STS as well. We used to prank the poo poo out of him because 21 was a new platform and there were many opportunities to gently caress with older boat guys. He helped me during my check out interview on 21 to the point that my Senior Chief got fired (I wasn't the only one he was loving with and we all had receipts). I ran into him my first day in La Madd as he was leaving La Madd. He said if I ever needed anything to just call him. I told him I was going to need his help getting to the SARP detailer in three years and he nodded and told me to let him know. And he absolutely called my regular detailer and made it happen when the time came.

Afterwards the JAG told me that he heard one of the admirals tell my LT to let me know that I did a good job. He told me that because he know my LT was not going to tell me. The JAG and I were good friends and neither of us was on the GQ watchbill so he would come to my office and we would play NHL on my Xbox. Turns out a lot of officers don't want to go on liberty with the JAG and no one wants to go on liberty with the DAPA, so we got along great.

Anyway that was one time I "got over" on that LT. I have another great Man Overboard story but I don't know if anyone cares after I spewed this poo poo out. I hope you liked it. There are refreshments and handouts on the table on your way out.

this was p good ngl, idk why people are so petty in the military and insecure about their poo poo. smdh at that punk rear end LT

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I never considered that about the JAGs and DAPA folks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

This was a great story and I'd love to read your Man Overboard story :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TheWeedNumber posted:

this was p good ngl, idk why people are so petty in the military and insecure about their poo poo. smdh at that punk rear end LT

At Fallon our department had an unwritten rule: If you didn't have anything to do that required you to actually be IN the office, don't be in the office all the time. It was kind of an attaboy assignment, to give people a break and a chance to relax. But the rule was applied equally to uniforms, GS, and contractors. The place was chill for 50% of the time, and the rest of the time we made up for it. It was a decent balance. Most of our work was phone calls to other bases.

There was a chief who helped some other organization do some training, but they regularly needed some kind of tactical vehicles to do something out on the range, but there weren't many options. My 3-man team had a handful of old, busted-rear end HMMWVs. At any given time, almost 1/3 of them were drivable. We usually let his dudes borrow them, and we usually got things back in worse shape, so eventually we started pushing back...we had zero maintenance budget. Everything was begged, borrowed, or probably stolen. Every DRMO-destined HMMWV on the west coast that we could get ahold of someone, we got parts pulled first. It was a mess. Eventually the dept head told this chief "no more."

A couple of weeks before he retired, the chief contacted our COR and narc'd that we were teleworking, under the guise of "just asking questions." So ended yet another good deal. gently caress that guy.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

Man I never considered that about the JAGs and DAPA folks.

Yup. Well for me at least because I was/am sober. I know that isn't a requirement of DAPAs, nor should it be. But I was, so I was a double buzzkill.

We pulled in to Montenegro for some liberty since the ship had to leave LaMadd for the month of August every year she was there. That is vacation month and they wanted to get the dumb sailors out of the way for the very rich tourists. Anyway one day me, the JAG and another officer that was pretty cool all went on liberty together. We walked to the shipyard/base they had there around lunch time. We asked the guard if we could go in and he didn't speak English but he smiled and waved us in. Pretty sure we weren't supposed to be there, much less taking pictures, but there we were. Got to see a couple of Osas up close and I think maybe a Slava but my brain sucks for remembering. I do remember seeing the Diesel Sava tied up there, along with a couple mini subs. I remember that one specifically because of some training I had previously attended. So it was cool to walk across the wooden gang plank and stand on top of it. There was also another sub that was "under construction" that was sitting up on tracks in the grass. I got a lot of pictures but lost them in a hard drive crash. The JAG was pretty sure we shouldn't be walking onto Naval Vessels of another soverign country, but he went on the Sava for a photo op anyway.

After we left and were discussing how much we probably shouldn't have taken pictures of, we walked by the entire upper chain of command having lunch with a bunch of Navy dignitaries from Montenegro. My buddy said, "can you imagine if security took us and all of their cell phones went off at once, and then the CO finds out it was the DAPA and JAG and Fred, and no one was drinking." I really wish I had those pictures.

I had a Second Class client that was on a no drink order while we were floating around hitting a couple of ports. When I told him what the CO had ordered for him, he looked dejected and said, "where I am going to find someone to go out with that doesn't drink?" I told him that if he looked hard enough, he might find someone sitting right in my chair that would love to go hang out with him. He did not take me up on my offer.

At some point the HT chief was in my office talking to me about one of our mutual sailors and he asked if I wanted some furniture made. He said that his guys weren't doing anything and since most of them ended up in my office anyway, they should have somewhere to sit. I told him I would love that. So they did all the sheetmetal work in the pictures below. Please excuse the cringy captions, 2002 was a different time. Also that tiny tv was cutting edge at the time and I got the command to pay for it under the guise of "showing addiction-related videos to sailors that were in the aftercare program" of which I had zero. I really did enjoy helping sailors that wanted to either quit or cut back drinking. There are plenty of squids that will help you drink, but not a lot that would help you not drink.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I volunteered for DAPA more times than I could count (also sober), but that's a colateral better filled by a first class that drinks with junior troops in the construction force, it turns out. Wow, go figure!

edit: coffee storage being the only thing locked, checks out, this is Very Navy

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 13, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

maffew buildings posted:

I volunteered for DAPA more times than I could count (also sober), but that's a colateral better filled by a first class that drinks with junior troops in the construction force, it turns out. Wow, go figure!

edit: coffee storage being the only thing locked, checks out, this is Very Navy

Also that external hard drive had so much porn on it. Just, so much.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My second command the DAPA was in reactor division and they drank quite a bit, it was a little surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My second Chief on my first boat was everything a Chief should be, smart, athletic, squared away always, genuinely a good guy who cared about the division too. My first Chief was very little of that, so I had been running the division for over a year, first Chief's turnover to second Chief was "I dunno, just let MMN1 Cat run the division." I was also short-timing, so I hosed with second Chief non-stop, my bullshit, like showing up to brief the Eng on emergent repairs to the RO unit wearing a "cone of shame" was tolerated because we made a really good team, and M-Div was run very, very well.

He was also the DAPA, and "ACFL*", he really wanted to do a division outing to Edinburgh in Scotland, he was my sober buddy for the trip. So we decided we'd do the most ratchet M-Div stuff possible for the trip. The look on his face when the entire division showed up on the train with 2Ls of Strongbow was really entertaining. It was a good trip, he wasn't sober, but he also wasn't at all a drinker, but he tried a tiny sip of each Scotch at the Scotch Whiskey Experience with us, before handing the tasting glass to me, the sketchiest thing I ever saw him do.

Anyways, going on Liberty with the DAPA can be fun, or at least better than NOT going on liberty. I appreciate the Sea Stories, FlyingLemur.

*The CFL was a useless First Class, and Chief just did his entire job for him.