Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wee posted:

When cars were first a thing people were scared of the high speeds and such and it was illegal to go faster than 3mph or whatever.

Yet horses, and horse and cart, and even boats, had already been around forever, and would go far faster.

Was this about the high speeds scaring driver and passenger, or was it a safety thing. I always assumed it was the former.

From what I can tell it was a safety thing, here's the original text of the UK Locomotive Act (1861) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/70/section/11/enacted

quote:

Limit of Speed of Locomotives on public Highways, &c.
It shall not be lawful to drive any Locomotive along any Turnpike Road or public Highway at a greater Speed than Ten Miles an Hour, or through any City, Town, or Village at a greater Speed than Five Miles an Hour; and any Person acting contrary hereto shall for every such Offence, on summary Conviction thereof before Two Justices, if he be not the Owner of such Locomotive, forfeit any Sum not exceeding Five Pounds, and if he be the Owner thereof, shall forfeit any Sum not exceeding Ten Pounds.

£10 in 1861 is just under $2000 in 2023.

And of course, one would argue that if we kept such low speed limits, car fatalities would be close to zero. Two cars crashing into each other at 10 mph, particular with modern cars... hell you could probably both drive away to the garage to get the damage fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

From what I can tell it was a safety thing, here's the original text of the UK Locomotive Act (1861) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/70/section/11/enacted

£10 in 1861 is just under $2000 in 2023.

And of course, one would argue that if we kept such low speed limits, car fatalities would be close to zero. Two cars crashing into each other at 10 mph, particular with modern cars... hell you could probably both drive away to the garage to get the damage fixed.

Yeah we should ban cars in urban areas and mandate strict speed limits for logistic vehicles. It would also completely cut down on the horrific and harmful levels of noise and air pollution in our cities.

But good luck after everyone has declared that youdoyou is the order of the day!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yeah we should ban cars in urban areas and mandate strict speed limits for logistic vehicles. It would also completely cut down on the horrific and harmful levels of noise and air pollution in our cities.

But good luck after everyone has declared that youdoyou is the order of the day!

cars are among the worst things USA has given the world.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do keep in mind that just because someone says something is motivated by a concern for public safety, that doesn't mean that was their actual concern. It's just what they want you to think they're motivated by. Just like how today people will draft bills that ostensibly are meant to protect children or something, but in actual fact are meant to give some business to their cronies or expand the power of the legislature/police or whatever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do keep in mind that just because someone says something is motivated by a concern for public safety, that doesn't mean that was their actual concern. It's just what they want you to think they're motivated by. Just like how today people will draft bills that ostensibly are meant to protect children or something, but in actual fact are meant to give some business to their cronies or expand the power of the legislature/police or whatever.

While true, you can also apply this framing as to why the initially extremely-safe speeds were replaced with speeds that kill children dead, to the benefit of the automotive industry's ability to become one of the most dominant economic sectors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Certainly, I'm not trying to claim that one side was more or less morally pure here, nor to defend the impact of automobiles on our society (which impact could not possibly have been foreseen at the time). I'm simply suspicious of claims that the 2MPH speed limit plus person walking in front with a flag is a rule borne entirely out of concern for public safety. It's easy to believe that it could be motivated by people who view early automobiles as a noisy public nuisance, or because they're buggy whip salespeople, or because they want to sell the flags.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh! You mean the flag thing? Yeah no that was entirely about waving your dick in public that you had this fancy important shiny bastard and the poors should pay attention.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Can anyone explain why the gently caress it is $400/person cheaper to fly from Detroit to Nice through Paris than it is to fly from Detroit to…Paris.

My wife and I want to be stereotypical and celebrate our 10th anniversary in France. The plan is a few days in Paris and a few days in the French Riviera. I’ve been tracking prices for a month or so, and consistently, a two-legged flight is 25% cheaper even if the first leg goes to the final destination.

For anyone familiar with the airline industry, what is the logic or financial justification for this? Like, DL98 direct to CDG costs $1850. But if we stop in CDG and go to Nice, it’s $1405. Same starting flight! Same airline!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It’s effectively a convenience tax. The airlines know that multi-leg journeys are a hassle so they charge a premium for the direct flights.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A different take on the 2mph speed limit for cars:
When they were first introduced, there wasn’t a road infrastructure designed for automobiles. There weren’t lanes and pedestrian crossings as we know them, just carriage tracks and paths. There kinda were highways, arterial roads and urban streets but they were designed with horse and carriage speeds in mind. So yeah, it was a safety concern/public backlash but the root cause was city and road planning, which gradually adapted.

Some European cities have infrastructure designed with bicycle commuting in mind and unsurprisingly it’s a very popular, efficient and safe mode of transportation in those places.

We’re experiencing the same issues now as self-driving cars are evolving but they have to use half-assed detection methods and tend to cause weird accidents or obstruct emergency vehicles. If they do become common, expect to see something like dedicated roads with standardized machine-readable information embedded in them instead of stop lights and traffic signs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 12, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Aggro posted:

Can anyone explain why the gently caress it is $400/person cheaper to fly from Detroit to Nice through Paris than it is to fly from Detroit to…Paris.

My wife and I want to be stereotypical and celebrate our 10th anniversary in France. The plan is a few days in Paris and a few days in the French Riviera. I’ve been tracking prices for a month or so, and consistently, a two-legged flight is 25% cheaper even if the first leg goes to the final destination.

For anyone familiar with the airline industry, what is the logic or financial justification for this? Like, DL98 direct to CDG costs $1850. But if we stop in CDG and go to Nice, it’s $1405. Same starting flight! Same airline!

That and more people go to Paris so the algorithm is trying to max the price people are willing to pay based on demand. It’s not that flying you to Nice is cheaper, it’s just that it thinks it can get away with charging more to people going to Paris.

It used to be a strategy to buy that ticket to Nice and just hop off at Paris, but the airlines have gotten wind of that and might cancel your return trip if they catch you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you are going to the French Riviera anyway why not just reverse the two parts of your trip, take the cheaper flight and go to Nice first, then take the train back up to Paris?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is anyone familiar with the use of the word "kangaroo" as a verb? An online search didn't reveal anything. From the 1863 book Cups and Their Customs:

quote:

I allow myself five minutes to make a bowl in the foregoing proportions, carefully stirring the mixture as I furnish the ingredients until it actually foams; and then Kangaroos! how beautiful it is!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i dunno anything about anything, but it feels more like they're using it as an interjection than a verb?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fruits of the sea posted:

We’re experiencing the same issues now as self-driving cars are evolving but they have to use half-assed detection methods and tend to cause weird accidents or obstruct emergency vehicles. If they do become common, expect to see something like dedicated roads with standardized machine-readable information embedded in them instead of stop lights and traffic signs.

At that point why not just build more trains?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

Because then rich people will have to spend time with poor people and that is worse than destroying the planet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is anyone familiar with the use of the word "kangaroo" as a verb? An online search didn't reveal anything. From the 1863 book Cups and Their Customs:

Going by context it seems to suggests an eruption. To suddenly bounce, as in.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Earwicker posted:

if you are going to the French Riviera anyway why not just reverse the two parts of your trip, take the cheaper flight and go to Nice first, then take the train back up to Paris?

It’s the same whether we go to Paris first, train to Nice, and then fly back from Nice or do the opposite.

The absolute cheapest thing would be to fly to Nice and then immediately…fly to Paris.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Idunno man, supposedly buses are the most effective and sustainable mode of transportation in cities but trains are pretty cool!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

trains are great and we should absolutely build more of them but since even when electric and in the form of light rail they are still very large heavy machines, they cannot go everywhere that a car or bus can. and while people in cities are generally (but not always) fine with the amount of noise and shaking they create, there's a lot more resistance to that out in the suburbs.

on top of that there's the cultural attachment to expression of the self through consumer purchases, especially in the US. many people see their car as a sort of extension of the self, and make associations about what "kind of person you are" based on the car you drive. a lot of people from many different countries, walks of life and different social classes place a lot of importance and pride in their car or cars, and cars have a very romanticized status in several cultures, especially american culture. so this also factors in a lot of the widespread resistance to more communal and public transit situations. and that has of course been exacerbated and manipulated by the people and power structures who benefit financially from "car culture", and that's been going on for like a hundred years now. so there's a lot of inertia coming from several different areas and a lot of cultural poo poo that needs to be unlearned before we can really shift away from that world. or we won't really shift away from it and cars will just "go electric" without any kind of a more widespread move towards public rather than private vehicle ownership.

i realize this is a largely amero-centric viewpoint, but "car culture" has various manifestations all over the world.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 13, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

How can I explain Werner Herzog to someone who has never heard of him or seen any of his movies better than that (Vice?) interview where some jackass shoots him with a pellet gun?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tell them how Fitzcarraldo was made

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How do nocturnal predators like say, spiders, know when to come out? Is it just some hardwired rhythm? Sensing light or temperature?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GWBBQ posted:

How can I explain Werner Herzog to someone who has never heard of him or seen any of his movies better than that (Vice?) interview where some jackass shoots him with a pellet gun?

A person who is obsessed with human obsession and obsessively makes films about this obsession.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

A person who is obsessed with human obsession and obsessively makes films about this obsession.

Oh yeah, that’s actually a really drat good description

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GWBBQ posted:

This video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_jckCt2j4

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How do nocturnal predators like say, spiders, know when to come out? Is it just some hardwired rhythm? Sensing light or temperature?

It depends on the animal. Some are more sensitive to light, some to temperature. But basically they go "Hey it's dark out! Time to mosey!" They can tell when it's dark out, same as you can.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
is the trisodium phosphate in my store brand cheerios ingredients list the same as what's in the box of trisodium phosphate cleaner i got at the hardware store?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

butt dickus posted:

is the trisodium phosphate in my store brand cheerios ingredients list the same as what's in the box of trisodium phosphate cleaner i got at the hardware store?

yep! it's just a strong, nontoxic base.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

butt dickus posted:

But remember that concentration matters a lot with acids and bases, so it's not gonna hurt you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Also the hardware store version may not be made to the same level of purity as the one that's in food. In other words, there may be other stuff in there that you really don't want to eat, at any level of concentration.

Or maybe it's all made at the same place and to the same standards and just packaged up differently, who knows.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also the hardware store version may not be made to the same level of purity as the one that's in food. In other words, there may be other stuff in there that you really don't want to eat, at any level of concentration.

Or maybe it's all made at the same place and to the same standards and just packaged up differently, who knows.

I work in food and typically I don’t think a cleaning product is going to spend the money to use a food grade ingredient as they definitely cost more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ivory goods are still illegal to sell no matter how old, right? My stepdad passed away almost two years ago now and left behind some stuff from his grandparents. some of it is ivory-handled dinnerware, as well as some ivory statuettes and other assorted trinkets from probably the late 1800s/early 1900s. one of them is a super neat bust of what looks to be a native african with their hair coming to a point from four separate connections of ivory, with empty air between/underneath them, so I think it was all carved from a single piece that way.

it's fine if so, they're neat trinkets regardless, but if I can sell them for any appreciable amount I'd do that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Ivory goods are still illegal to sell no matter how old, right? My stepdad passed away almost two years ago now and left behind some stuff from his grandparents. some of it is ivory-handled dinnerware, as well as some ivory statuettes and other assorted trinkets from probably the late 1800s/early 1900s. one of them is a super neat bust of what looks to be a native african with their hair coming to a point from four separate connections of ivory, with empty air between/underneath them, so I think it was all carved from a single piece that way.

it's fine if so, they're neat trinkets regardless, but if I can sell them for any appreciable amount I'd do that.

At least over here, I think you can get an exemption if you can prove that the items are older than the ban on ivory, so there's a chance. But they'd need to be bundled with a certificate, and their actual value is probably lower than the required bureaucracy costs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A quick net search suggests that antique ivories are only legal to sell if you have appropriate documentation to prove their legality.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you want someone else to look up relevant legislation, you need to provide a location.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yah Canada is *just now* moving to ban imports of ivory, it's in a 30 day consultation at the moment - https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-06-24/html/reg3-eng.html - and even then I think it still allows for domestic sales. So depending where you are it might be no big deal.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Even in the USA there is federal stuff and individual states that go harder.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Trapick posted:

Yah Canada is *just now* moving to ban imports of ivory, it's in a 30 day consultation at the moment - https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-06-24/html/reg3-eng.html - and even then I think it still allows for domestic sales. So depending where you are it might be no big deal.

Only 33 years after the international ban came into effect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you want someone else to look up relevant legislation, you need to provide a location.
ah, yeah, I'm in massachusetts.

going through my stepdad's stuff is just opening entire worlds of "oh god how do I even catalog things like this", like really really old silverware from the 1800s and possibly older, the kind that's super tarnished with no name or date on it, just a bunch of stamps indicating the creator. or these weird plastic things that appear to be made from like, the oldest plastic ever made. just is definitely plastic, but definitely unbelievably old. we were given a month to clear out his house of anything we were taking or donating, before the house was going to be completely overhauled and resold. so over the last couple years we've been going through everything we salvaged from it bit by bit.

maybe I should make a thread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2023