Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really can't get into New Worlds this season. I would prefer a good Star Trek show that wasn't set in the past. Picard season 3 was good but we had to go through two bad seasons to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oasx posted:

Picard season 3 was good but we had to go through two bad seasons to get there.

gently caress me, that's a hot take.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aren't the overinflated budgets just a natural result of casting overpriced movie actors and not having re-usable studio sets?

Ben, Emilia, Don and Colman are all very pricey and complicated to schedule I imagine. Kingsley is the closest to a network tv-actor which is why I imagine we get to see so much of him despite it narratively making little sense.

For example, Colman having so many scenes without the prinicipal cast on the same set basically implies she charged a ton for very few days of shooting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oasx posted:

I really can't get into New Worlds this season. I would prefer a good Star Trek show that wasn't set in the past. Picard season 3 was good but we had to go through two bad seasons to get there.

I feel like I'm passing into a parallel universe reading this

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jedit posted:

gently caress me, that's a hot take.
It's a pretty mainstream take outside of the insanely negative reaction on these forums. Seriously, it's like reading those old Usenet posts from 1987 raging about Next Generation to read the Star Trek threads here.

Picard Season 3 was perfectly enjoyable if you weren't set off by every little thing. In contrast to season 1 and 2 which were very difficult to enjoy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it has to be, it's not on screen

also unless Olivia Colman is in a LOT of the next two episodes she's been wasted

There’s either some much longer 100% different cut of this show or they could have done without half the characters like Coleman.

I don’t think most of the Skrulls scenes added much either. You don’t need the council to make this show work. You need even less of New Skrullos. Emilie Clarke could have been someone much less known and new because she has had so little material to do anything with so far.

Martin Freeman was equally pointless. Just start the show with someone we’ve never seen before who is a head of state of another country. There has been an assassination attempt on them, they die in the hospital and become a Skrull corpse. Fury shows up to investigate.

All of their choices from casting to writing to choreography just make no loving sense.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MiddleOne posted:

Aren't the overinflated budgets just a natural result of casting overpriced movie actors and not having re-usable studio sets?

Ben, Emilia, Don and Colman are all very pricey and complicated to schedule I imagine. Kingsley is the closest to a network tv-actor which is why I imagine we get to see so much of him despite it narratively making little sense.

For example, Colman having so many scenes without the prinicipal cast on the same set basically implies she charged a ton for very few days of shooting.

The wage bill would be high, but not that high. They plan these things out so the shooting schedule is fairly short, done in part because of the scheduling issues. Colman has done entire seasons of shows, a couple of weeks's work on set with Marvel would be easy enough. And we all love Olivia Colman (rightly, she's a treasure), but there's nothing to indicate she earns megastar $$$. She could probably have asked for half a million, and got it, which is a massive payday for such little work required.

Marvel has done entire movies stuffed with major Oscar winners yet lower/comparable budgets. This show only has the 4 you mentioned and Sam Jackson. I like all these people, but they are definitely affordable actors compared to most.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The show has a lot of 9/10 ideas that have been executed at a 4/10 level.

It's still worth watching and I think the acting is generally great, but most of the 4/10 stuff comes from the writing execution.

- The reimagining of the SuperSkrull Powers from Fantastic 4 abilities to powers scavenged from parts of dead MCU characters is a very cool idea.

- The transition of lady Skrull to Rhodey and the code-switching Fury does when talking to Rhodey are great character flairs.

- Freeman and Rhodey being Skrulls the whole time were good choices because they had been around forever, but were under the radar enough to not be your first guess.

- Focusing on Sam Jackson and how the blip destroyed Fury/what Fury does when his Superhero squad, alien spy network, government access, and friends are all taken away from him and he has to just rely on himself and trust people is a creative narrative hook.

Are all extremely good concepts and creative ideas, but they have not been executed well or explored much (so far).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 13, 2023

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They show has a lot of 9/10 ideas that have been executed at a 4/10 level.

It's still worth watching and I think the acting is generally great, but most of the 4/10 stuff comes from the writing execution.

- The reimagining of the SuperSkrull Powers from Fantastic 4 abilities to powers scavenged from parts of dead MCU characters is a very cool idea.

- The transition of lady Skrull to Rhodey and the code-switching Fury does when talking to Rhodey are great character flairs.

- Freeman and Rhodey being Skrulls the whole time were good choices because they had been around forever, but were under the radar enough to not be your first guess.

- Focusing on Sam Jackson and how the blip destroyed Fury/what Fury does when his Superhero squad, alien spy network, government access, and friends are all taken away from him and he has to just rely on himself and trust people is a creative narrative hook.

Are all extremely good concepts and creative ideas, but they have not been executed well or explored much (so far).

I agree with this, and yeah,the execution is bad.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm loving Don's acting. Yeah, show's not that good, but his evil Rhodey is just drat great. So, I'm now wondering, if this is going to have consequences that will echo in Armor Wars? Because, how long was good Rhodey snatched away? I guess is gonna be telegraphed next episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eiba posted:

It's a pretty mainstream take outside of the insanely negative reaction on these forums. Seriously, it's like reading those old Usenet posts from 1987 raging about Next Generation to read the Star Trek threads here.

Picard Season 3 was perfectly enjoyable if you weren't set off by every little thing. In contrast to season 1 and 2 which were very difficult to enjoy.

If you just absolutely don't care about how a story ties together then sure. The forums are more likely to actually think about what's going on and go "wait a second"
See: Obi Wan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Taear posted:

If you just absolutely don't care about how a story ties together then sure. The forums are more likely to actually think about what's going on and go "wait a second"

I enjoyed Obi-Wan for what it was and appreciated that they gave Hayden Christensen a chance to redeem himself a little in the part of Vader. I didn't mind Picard S3 either, but it was very much TNG series 8 written by someone going for all the fan service and jettisoning everything interesting from the first two seasons. It's not just these forums where people are taking the line that Picard should have been one and done, or at worst stopping at two.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I love how a lot of people are saying, "for now," about how much they're loving up a good premise. But think about it: you only get 6 episodes of this series and they just finished 4. That's 2/3's of the show on wasted potential. Unless the finale is a BANGER, I just don't think this is salvageable.

I agree with another poster, this is shaping up to be the worst of the mini/TV series. It's just a bloated budget with terrible results. Everyone's trying, but from lovely locations to crappy writing, it's just not good enough. It feels like they tried to make an awesome spy thriller with sci-fi schemata and ended up underserving both concepts.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It just struck me, that the multiple false flag attempts just cancel each other out. You've got "rogue US group" planting dirty bombs in Russia, even though merely being American isn't enough to work. And it didn't work. So then you have a British sub trying to fire on a UN plane. I genuinely forget who was on the plane though. Now it's "Russians" attacking the US president.

How is this supposed to kick off a war? The Russians at this point would be "well THAT wasn't us", same as the Americans earlier would be, and there's more reason to sit down and compare notes than to go straight to launching the nukes. Especially after the last time they tried to launch a nuke, superheroes stopped it. And the time after that they tried to murder a whole bunch of civvies (due to Hydra) superheroes stopped it. And when half the world got dusted, superheroes fixed it.

There's no loving way this is still a world where a nuclear war would kick off over dumb poo poo, because far worse has happened and there are a very special group of individuals they can call up to deal with anything that needs dealing with. They don't deploy nukes, they deploy Hulks.

drat it, this whole plot of tricking the dumb humans into doing something apocalyptic is garbage. Take over and launch the nukes, sure. Do some minor crimes and cause nukes to be launched? No loving way.

Another episode where Captain America could have flown in and solo'd the Skrull strike team. And I hate to play the "where was X during all this?" card, as it's a given that any heroes who don't turn up were busy elsewhere, but this very, very slow plot has reached the point the US government affiliated heroes would absolutely be involved.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Parkingtigers posted:

Another episode where Captain America could have flown in and solo'd the Skrull strike team. And I hate to play the "where was X during all this?" card, as it's a given that any heroes who don't turn up were busy elsewhere, but this very, very slow plot has reached the point the US government affiliated heroes would absolutely be involved.
If the show now establishes that the president was almost assassinated by terrorists, it's VERY odd that superheroes don't get involved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harrison Ford is meant to be President Ross in some of the upcoming films so I was almost expecting the current one to actually die.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harrison Ford is meant to be President Ross in some of the upcoming films so I was almost expecting the current one to actually die.

Ross yes, but President? Is that confirmed in any way or comic plotline speculation?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

maybealabia posted:

Ross yes, but President? Is that confirmed in any way or comic plotline speculation?

It is both confirmed and a plot from the comics.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
What are the odds that they swapped the president out for a Skrull in that attack, but nobody will bother to check for a shapeshifting alien despite the whole show being about that?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

maybealabia posted:

Confirmed in February

EW & Kevin Feige posted:

You've also got 2024's Captain America: New World Order with Anthony Mackie, and Harrison Ford is joining the fold as Thaddeus Ross. What can you tell us about his take on that character?

We start filming relatively soon. I'm sure anyone you've ever talked with about Harrison Ford says this, but it's unbelievable that we get to meet and talk with him and that he's embracing this role. He's tireless with the amount of work that he does. This is certainly a big part for Thaddeus Ross. He's the president of the United States in the film. And with Harrison, you think about Air Force One, and you think about some of his confrontations with the president in Clear and Present Danger. There's a dynamic between President Ross and Sam Wilson. They have a history together, but in this film, we'll be seeing the dynamic between Captain America and the president of the United States in a way that is just incredible.

This has been a dream for years, ever since Jon Favreau cast Harrison Ford in Cowboys and Aliens. I was always very jealous of that, so to have him finally in the MCU is just incredible. It's like, I can cross that off the wishlist.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Confirmed in February

I feel like that's such an odd thing for Feige to say about ticking Harrison off his bucket list when he's playing a character vacated by a dead actor.

It kind of comes across as thankful that the original actor died.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like that's such an odd thing for Feige to say about ticking Harrison off his bucket list when he's playing a character vacated by a dead actor.

lol no it doesnt

but some people are probably glad/relieved william hurt is dead since he was an abusive dick

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You know, I had almost forgotten that Iron Man 3 featured an attack on Air Force One and the attempted murder, then subsequently kidnap, of a US President, by superpowered individuals.

I dunno, kind of feels like a few dudes using Earth tech shouldn’t be getting that close over a decade later.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Confirmed in February

The last thing I would ever want to do is remind anyone of Cowboys and Aliens

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PriorMarcus posted:

Kevin Feige only cast Mark Ruffalo because his assassination attempts on Edward Norton failed.

Feige consulted an old crone and now knows the exact day that Norton will day. He has installed an electronic countdown clock in his home to remind him when he can be thankful once more.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bob Iger confirms that they are planning to spread out and reduce the amount of Disney+ MCU content in the coming years.

There may be additional delays to space out content even more. They are looking to spend roughly $3 billion less on Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar content in the next several years and dramatically space out releases. He says once you get to more than 2 TV releases in a year, the audience gets overwhelmed or distracted and it dilutes the value. So, expect a dramatic cut in the number of Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars shows soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679519719047528448

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

With this, the writer’s strike, and now an actor’s strike, I guess I will see Daredevil again by 2030 at the earliest

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bob Iger confirms that they are planning to spread out and reduce the amount of Disney+ MCU content in the coming years.

There may be additional delays to space out content even more. They are looking to spend roughly $3 billion less on Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar content in the next several years and dramatically space out releases. He says once you get to more than 2 TV releases in a year, the audience gets overwhelmed or distracted and it dilutes the value. So, expect a dramatic cut in the number of Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars shows soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679519719047528448

Ironically, this is probably for the best.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
With both the WGA and now SAG on strike this was never going to be a concern lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Taear posted:

Sometimes the forums are morons. See the: Armorer is going to betray them, talk on the Mandolorian . Or missing the extremely blatant/explicitly religious imagery on that show .

Sometimes it’s “wait a second” followed by stupid personal projection.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is an idea from animation called “The Plausible Impossible”. Goons have Plausible Impossible blindness.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

It just struck me, that the multiple false flag attempts just cancel each other out. You've got "rogue US group" planting dirty bombs in Russia, even though merely being American isn't enough to work. And it didn't work. So then you have a British sub trying to fire on a UN plane. I genuinely forget who was on the plane though. Now it's "Russians" attacking the US president.

How is this supposed to kick off a war? The Russians at this point would be "well THAT wasn't us", same as the Americans earlier would be, and there's more reason to sit down and compare notes than to go straight to launching the nukes. Especially after the last time they tried to launch a nuke, superheroes stopped it. And the time after that they tried to murder a whole bunch of civvies (due to Hydra) superheroes stopped it. And when half the world got dusted, superheroes fixed it.

There's no loving way this is still a world where a nuclear war would kick off over dumb poo poo, because far worse has happened and there are a very special group of individuals they can call up to deal with anything that needs dealing with. They don't deploy nukes, they deploy Hulks.

drat it, this whole plot of tricking the dumb humans into doing something apocalyptic is garbage. Take over and launch the nukes, sure. Do some minor crimes and cause nukes to be launched? No loving way.

The USA and USSR/Russia have been pointing nukes at each since 1949. There have been some close calls but there's plenty of safeguards to make sure no one ends the world over bullshit. World War Z made the point that its not the traditional enemies with nukes that are the problem but countries with nukes that might have flare-up with non-traditional enemies. Instead of India and Pakistan he had Pakistan and Iran go at it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sometimes the forums are morons. See the: Armorer is going to betray them, talk on the Mandolorian . Or missing the extremely blatant/explicitly religious imagery on that show .

Sometimes it’s “wait a second” followed by stupid personal projection.
I've also noticed that goons are pretty ardent appreciators of Youtube video essays, myself among them, so a lot of the forums' collective opinions on ongoing shows and the theories surrounding mystery box shows (often extending that impulse to shows that decidedly aren't,) come from those either in part or verbatim. The armorer bit you mentioned came directly from New Rockstars.

There's nothing wrong with this, as it's just the modern equivalent of your opinion being informed in part by fandom magazines, but when the Youtuber isn't as media literate as they think they are, or are, but are just incorrect as New Rockstars was in that case, it compounds a number of problems, which can then be made even worse when the ideas circle around in a game of telephone and lose context and even cohesion.

I did a bunch of media studies in college and a lot of Youtubers' takes are pretty good, if surface level, versions of those kinds of readings and such, but they get mixed in among "I'm expecting a thing nobody promised me and don't understand story structure and now I'm going to complain about it," and there's just this miasma of good ideas and bad ideas and hot takes for both, somehow counterintuitively creating a weird, false impression of a hivemind. It's absolutely fascinating.

And sometimes it's infuriating, because the visual language of cinema and television is lost on rather a lot of people even before you take into account how we're all broken now and addicted to checking our phones, which are purpose-built to be so, in the middle of shows, so a shot of, say, somebody looking on approvingly at another character, to pull one out of my rear end, can be read like ten different wrong-rear end ways if you also miss the shot of them frowning as they leave the room.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kazmeyer posted:

Honestly it's worth it for the retro Bakshi LOTR rotoscoping bits. But yeah, there were a couple of big pieces of information dropped in the special that would've made the beginning of GOTG3 a bit confusing. Other than that it's mostly just Mantis and Drax chasing Kevin Bacon around. (And Drax being racist against Go-Bots.)
Go-Bots killed his cousin!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Has this show really ended every episode with a character being shot?

Maria, The Skrull Prisoner, Talos’ Daughter and Talos

That’s bloody lazy.

Christ, given the budget, I’m sure they could have written a much more compelling and coherent series.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought this was like, at least eight episodes but in fact it's six and there's only two left :psyduck:

It feels like nothing has happened, probably because none of it feels like it matters I guess.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Super Deuce posted:

I kind of hate that I feel I have to so I can understand what they’re going to show next. When GotG3 came out it was pretty annoying feeling like I should know certain things but not because I didn’t watch their Christmas whatever.

GotG Xmas special was good, you should watch it :sassargh:

Only 2 big plot points in it are the GotG gang bought(?) the Knowhere head, and Mantis is one of Ego's kids so she's Peter's half sister.

Parkingtigers posted:

It's already happened over on the Star Trek side. Absolute carnage over there as they cancel shows, and removed finished shows from their streaming service. Mostly worrying because Strange New Worlds is one of the best Trek things ever made and season 2 is streaming right now and I need 7 seasons of that good poo poo. But with how things are going, it might be 3 and done.

They're not loving with Lower Decks, are they :ohdear:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought this was like, at least eight episodes but in fact it's six and there's only two left :psyduck:

It feels like nothing has happened, probably because none of it feels like it matters I guess.
This episode felt like the writers sighed and then said 'well I guess we need to start the plot now'

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
i havent seen any of the mcu shows since daredevil, i tuned in for samuel l jackson and was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of olivia colman

the show is so ridiculously bad.... how can something about stolen identities and spies around every corner have zero tension at all. all of the action is atrocious, I don't understand how the last gunfight could possibly be confused for a russian attack.

My favorite parts are samuel l jackson being catty with don cheadle and olivia colman, and nick fury's face every time someone says he's fallen off. I cry everytime samuel L. is not on screen.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 14, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't even loving fathom why the show is doing as little as it is with "anybody could be a Skrull and the anxiety about that causes widespread, disastrous mistrust."

That's the show. This dirty bomb business is a hat on a hat that had no business existing at all, much less being the bigger of the two hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

They're not loving with Lower Decks, are they :ohdear:

We don't know anything about the future of Trek after SNW season 2. The only one they've for sure killed off is Prodigy (when season was almost finished, as well).