Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Turning up late to announce that after years of being terrified of this game's reputation, and having never parried successfully in a Souls game ever, I have finally beaten* Sekiro \o/

It was...not pretty. I did not beat Hirata Owl and didn't bother with the Headless or last Shichimen Warrior. The biggest challenge in the Hatred Demon fight was that jump to the roof (I got one lifebar off him properly!), and I found some cheeses for early game bosses that shouldn't really need cheeses - insert footage of lobbing oil at Yamauchi from a safe platform and goading the Shinobi Hunter back down the path here...

...which meant that I got through almost the ENTIRE game without mastering the drat Mikiri Counter, a move that could be fairly described as 'critically fundamental to the expected standard of play'.

This obviously came back to bite my rear end with ISS. This fight was a level of stress higher by far than any previous compulsory boss and unlike Gael or Orphan I couldn't just ungabunga past the problem. I spent whole days studying fight patterns in videos, even though I'd only get an hour or so a day to actually play in. But Isshin was a brick wall, and I spent several days wondering just how bad it would be to just...give up and move on.

In the end I got past him within a week, which surprised me. My fight went like this: ate poo poo to Genechiro, actually dying and wasting a potion, but at least ichimongoing him to death. First stage Isshin: went for some deflection combos and mainly exploited his Ashina Cross for easy vitality damage. In stage 2, a mess of deflections and baiting out his jump. In stage 3, realised I had 20 emblems and a Rice left and spammed umbrella through his attacks.

It was ugly as hell but surviving the fight felt like the greatest relief ever. Then I watched the recording of the fight and saw in stage 2 I'd somehow managed to completely nail several Mikiri Counters consecutively. I still am very bad at Sekiro but...did I come slightly closer to getting good?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOUnXd-HQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mario is a rhythm game because you need to push the jump button with the correct timing.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

Who am I:

one-two-three-four
one-two-three-four-five
ONE

Those guys and ".....ONE-TWO.....ONE-TWO" are the enemies that made me go, 'ohhh, it's THAT kind of game.'

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

super fart shooter posted:

Who am I:

one-two-three-four
one-two-three-four-five
ONE

Is this supposed to be giraffe because giraffe does a weird beat and a half at the end. Learning that charmless basically rewrote my brain.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Harold Fjord posted:

Is this supposed to be giraffe because giraffe does a weird beat and a half at the end. Learning that charmless basically rewrote my brain.

Yeah something like that. That enemy was the first “rhythm game” moment for me because they seem insanely overwhelming, like they just never stop attacking, but then you realize that it’s actually just one attack sequence that they do over and over and they do almost nothing else, and it becomes pretty trivial with one weird trick called “counting”

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the Sekiro rhythm game thing was a joke about how the game is mostly about hitting a single button at the right time. I don't think the game is rhythmic at all timings are entirely dictated by enemy actions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No Wave posted:

I thought the Sekiro rhythm game thing was a joke about how the game is mostly about hitting a single button at the right time. I don't think the game is rhythmic at all timings are entirely dictated by enemy actions.

Yeah I can see it a bit, but other than in a few fringe cases like Giraffe that's now how I related to deflecting at all in this case. It is how I parry RoB spammers in Elden Ring though, so I guess that's a rhythm game too

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 31, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah it's really only one or two instances, like the giraffe or that one combo Genichiro does, where actually counting out the pattern like it's a rhythm game is very helpful.

Hi Fi Rush isn't Sekiro, but it's parry system pretty much is Sekiro-as-rhythm-game. There's a handful of enemies that can lock you into a little minigame where they do a little call and response with you. They demo an attack pattern (often something like the giraffe's pattern in Sekiro) with a little visual indicator to help, and then you have to parry on that pattern.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
For me the rhythm game thing is about how a lot of enemy attacks have multi hit sequences that are kinda hard to read or react to individually, but once you learn the sequence and can identify when they’re starting it, you can just kinda feel all the timings.

Another good example is those ministry ninja guys. They have that one sequence where they do the slow twirling jump kick followed by three quick kicks and then the thrust kick. It took me sooo goddamn long to figure this attack out and it’s very hard to see the 3 quick attacks coming, but now that I know it I can deflect it all easily just because I know the rhythm of the sequence.

Or there’s corrupted monk, where the attacks are slow and telegraphed, but have a lot of stalling in the animations to make you jump the gun if you’re just trying to react with your eyes, so learning the rhythms helps a lot

So much like a rhythm game, you’re not purely reacting to onscreen prompts, you’re hearing the music and feeing the rhythm… but I guess the songs in sekiro are just very short and simple, with some kinda odd rhythms

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah, many little rhythm minigames is a good way to put it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Figuring out Genichiro's bow attack was so satisfying because the rhythm is something like clang, clang pause clang clang pause clang which is unlike anything else in the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

It's not DDR and the rhythm game thing wasn't literal, but you definitely learn to parry by listening for a pattern of beats and googling "a pattern of beats" doesn't give me a better word than rhythm.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

After 4 years I finally returned to this fantastic game and actually beat Ishin. I almost feel bad about my kill because it was an incredibly messy phase 2 and 3. I was down to 1 flask when I got a pair of lightning reversals off on him instead of his usual murdering my rear end with those giant spins. I was honestly really surprised when the deathblow icon popped up so fast. Still hesitation is defeat and any one you grapplinghook away from counts. Now I've got to finish up the last few achievements in NG+.

Absolute masterful game that I hope they revisit at some point.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still prefer all of their side titles to the souls mainline games

... I'm not sure if Elden Ring counts for that though :thunkher:

either way it makes me very curious about armored core

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think Elden Ring is their most main title at this point.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
One day I'll be back. I've got to get that all skillpoints achievement. I've got to beat Inner Isshin.

Of course, as training to beat him I'll probably have to play the whole game again just to be sure I'm prepared.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Senethro posted:

One day I'll be back. I've got to get that all skillpoints achievement. I've got to beat Inner Isshin.

Of course, as training to beat him I'll probably have to play the whole game again just to be sure I'm prepared.

Sekiro has the highest platinum % of any game I've seen by far. It's crazy that almost 9% of the people who've bought it on steam have got the platinum achievement, I love it.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
All that stood between me and 100% Sekiro was grinding out the last few skill points so I just got high, put on a podcast, and stealth-killed red ninjas for an hour just to close the book on the game. I can't imagine actually doing both a regular and Shura ending, and then letting a few pesky skill points keep you from 100%

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I have never given a single gently caress about achievements since the 360 foisted them on us, I'm going to play the game on my own terms and to my own goals and not a minute longer

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is the first and only game I've ever gotten a plat achievement on. If you've put in the time to beat the game, getting the plat achievement really isn't that much harder.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Dignity posted:

I have never given a single gently caress about achievements since the 360 foisted them on us, I'm going to play the game on my own terms and to my own goals and not a minute longer

same but platinum just sort of happened along the way

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

same but platinum just sort of happened along the way

this is what happened to me except...

frest posted:

All that stood between me and 100% Sekiro was grinding out the last few skill points so I just got high, put on a podcast, and stealth-killed red ninjas for an hour just to close the book on the game. I can't imagine actually doing both a regular and Shura ending, and then letting a few pesky skill points keep you from 100%

yeah it was a fun way to close things out. I think I was a little behind on lazulite for some of the prosthetics upgrades so I did a run to get a few of those and then it was just 30 minutes of killing DoH path ninjas while podcasting.

kontona
May 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOYh0awLcP4

not something that i thought i'd ever see.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

kontona posted:

why not?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yooo it's the spine crush lady

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

kontona posted:

Yeah I mean "hot girl plays vidya" is basically a category now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's not even a niche category tbh, turns out videogame streaming is a pretty complementary income source to OnlyFans if you've got the right body for it.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
playing a charmless + demon bell run, things get a bit ridiculous in the endgame. O'Rin actually gave me the most trouble of any boss, true monk in 2nd place. at isshin now, so we'll see how that goes (not going to bother with owl father, haven't even beat him on NG normal lol)

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to platinuming Sekiro after getting put off by all the grinding. I played charmless for NG++ to cut down on it a bit, which was actually a really good way to mix things up. I feel no shame about cheesing True Monk phase 3 with firecrackers and skipping all the land Headless, screw doing that properly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think there’s a proper way to do the land headless besides just waiting till endgame and throwing confetti on your sword to be done with them in like a minute of anticlimactic stabbing. I would say they exist as a neat challenge if you wanna fight them earlier, except, you know, them inflicting Terror even on successful deflects makes them bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm pretty sure perfect deflects don't have any terror buildup

e: yeah they don't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIlardIg5Dk

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, glad to be wrong then.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Lord help me I feel like I'm about to OD on FROM games and I just reached the sword saint. I played Elden Ring, liked it and so tried the Demon souls remake, then bloodborne, then dark souls 3, then sekiro...

And now what seems like the biggest SOB of them all is before me.

Just posting to ask fellow goons to burn some incense for me the next time you're at the temple.

Edit: typo

Clowner fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 14, 2023

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Try not hesitating.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hesitation leads to what Quentin Tarantino desires most.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Hesitation leads to what Quentin Tarantino desires most.

i am Malenia, blade of Miquella, and i have never known da feet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clowner posted:

Lord help me I feel like I'm about to OD on FROM games and I just reached the sword saint. I played Elden Ring, liked it and so tried the feeling souls remake, then bloodborne, then dark souls 3, then sekiro...

And now what seems like the biggest SOB of them all is before me.

Just posting to ask fellow goons to burn some incense for me the next time you're at the temple.

Everyone's gonna say 'hesitation is defeat' at you but they are actually right, this is a fight about fighting boldly and assertively punishing him on every opportunity that you can and getting him on posture before his hp is even half, don't be afraid to hit him out of attacks and just keep the pressure up as much as you can

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yeah, aggressive gameplay is rewarded with a more consistent moveset from the old guy

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
First phase you can be far more aggressive, you can reliably hit until SSI deflects then you deflect his counterattacks. Stick in his face. Respond to his flashy combo finishers in the appropriate manner. His Ichimonji and Dragon Flash attacks can literally be sidestrafed by walking, no need to step dodge.

Second and third phase, aggression is harder because he will break out of your combo without first deflecting. It’s safest to only attack twice out of neutral, then immediately prepare for his counterattack. This phase is a defensive skill check, being able deflect his opening counterattacks makes the fight more predicable and stops him from chaining into a spear swing. He will also constantly disengage from you with either backjumps (deflect or step dodge forward through his spear swipe) or by naruto running past your left shoulder. Either give chase, or stand your ground, and deflect his jumping spear slam, or step dodge his attack at the last half second to punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Spent 70 hours on my NG playthrough, then spent 9 hours on NG+ through +3. Ez platinum, unironically think this is the best FromSoft game of all time (certainly the most satisfying to git gud at).

Is there anything else even remotely similar to this game I can now obsess over, or do I just chase the Gauntlets dragon?