Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The pro Ukraine side is always doing this handwave poo poo where they just assume Ukraine will achieve not just victory, but overwhelming, implausible victory, and will just naturally achieve this without any strategy or effort

Afaict they're losing and have been for a while? Like how the gently caress is zelensky going to collapse the Kremlin if they can't even get through the defenses in Ukraine?

Oryx seems to be doing all the heavy lifting here. People are amazed that Russia is still losing 4 or 5 times the equipment of Ukraine even while Ukraine is on the offensive! Ukraine is completely re-writing the book on offensive operations by defying all the conventional wisdom and projections on the outcomes from these encounters! it's almost hard to believe how good they are at this war stuff!

**We're starting to reach the boundary of the limits on this absolute nonsense picture of the war however, as even the most willingly propagandized are wondering how Russia can still possibly be holding their positions despite suffering losses at this scale every day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Neurolimal posted:

Scenarios where Trump sticks to abandoning Ukraine:

- He manages to remember one of the reasons he was impeached

- He meets him in person and is visibly disgusted by his gnome-like stature

it was a perfect call!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what are the chances trump pulls out of nato?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Very high.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Starsfan posted:

Oryx seems to be doing all the heavy lifting here. People are amazed that Russia is still losing 4 or 5 times the equipment of Ukraine even while Ukraine is on the offensive! Ukraine is completely re-writing the book on offensive operations by defying all the conventional wisdom and projections on the outcomes from these encounters! it's almost hard to believe how good they are at this war stuff!

**We're starting to reach the boundary of the limits on this absolute nonsense picture of the war however, as even the most willingly propagandized are wondering how Russia can still possibly be holding their positions despite suffering losses at this scale every day...

Imagine if all the human wave poo poo was true and Russia just had infinite troops

It turns out most of the Russian front line is animated Terra Cotta warriors

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Very high.

hes gonna go goblin mode on europe

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Al! posted:

critical support for trump

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know I live in a bubble, so I’m asking what regular people think. Surely not that the attacker (3:1 advantage required), outgunned 10:1 is somehow inflicting 5:1 or even 2:1 casualties on the defender?

How? I don’t mean philosophically or metaphysically, but in real terms by what mechanism do they envision this happening? Small arms fire? If so, as small arms engagements have a low lethality and take place with 150m, how are Ukrainian rifles inflicting causalities in Russian trenches with the more exposed Ukrainians getting the better of the exchange?

Crew served weapons? How does that mesh with Russia’s 10:1 advantage? In real, practical terms, what makes Ukrainian crew served weapons 10x more effective to achieve parity, and then another 2-5x more effective to achieve the claimed ratios?

I’m not trying to be pedantic or rhetorical, I’m just curious what normal people think the tactical situation looks like.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al! posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

trumps gonna announce who blew up the pipeline lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Мир сегодня с "Юрий Подоляка" posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
The appeal of the commander of the 58th Combined Arms Army of the Southern Military District of the Armed Forces of Russia, Major General Ivan Popov, to his soldiers.

"...The enemy could not defeat us at the front, because our big bosses hit us in the back..."

General Popov is a real Russian officer and general! And his superiors seem to live in their own dimension of peacetime. I really hope that this story will reach the Supreme Commander-in-Chief and the necessary measures will be taken.

@NeoficialniyBeZsonoV
(from t.me/yurasumy/9773, via tgsa)

Мир сегодня с "Юрий Подоляка" posted:

And once again about the removal of commander 58 A (thoughts aloud)

And what bothers me even more in this whole situation is that the command in the Kherson direction, which, let me remind you, failed the operation to occupy Antonovsky Island (which, with the correct organization of the attack, it was simply impossible to fail, but it managed to do it and the troops suffered heavy losses at the same time), the command of the General Staff claims No.

Although yes, the commander in the Kherson direction does not bother the authorities with "alarming" reports about problems in the troops, he always says that everything is fine at his site, and that... even fr. Antonovsky is under his full control (!!!).

That is, in fact, he deceived his superiors and ... the political leadership of the country.

So, the leadership of the General Staff obviously has no complaints about this "commander" (due to the absence of "organizational issues").

And to the commander of 58A, who, largely thanks to his initiatives, won (maybe so) the main battle of the war, took out a particularly valuable trophy exactly where he was supposed to take it, they have complaints. Moreover, those that require mandatory removal of him from office.

You see, he upsets the command with his "disturbing reports".

And here I completely agree with dear Oleg Tsarev, who asked a VERY CORRECT QUESTION: "It is clear that the army is about order. But you can't turn the army of a warring country into a stage for actors."
(from t.me/yurasumy/9788, via tgsa)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat I was late

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I know I live in a bubble, so I’m asking what regular people think. Surely not that the attacker (3:1 advantage required), outgunned 10:1 is somehow inflicting 5:1 or even 2:1 casualties on the defender?

How? I don’t mean philosophically or metaphysically, but in real terms by what mechanism do they envision this happening? Small arms fire? If so, as small arms engagements have a low lethality and take place with 150m, how are Ukrainian rifles inflicting causalities in Russian trenches with the more exposed Ukrainians getting the better of the exchange?

Crew served weapons? How does that mesh with Russia’s 10:1 advantage? In real, practical terms, what makes Ukrainian crew served weapons 10x more effective to achieve parity, and then another 2-5x more effective to achieve the claimed ratios?

I’m not trying to be pedantic or rhetorical, I’m just curious what normal people think the tactical situation looks like.

not to mention the Russians appear to be able to call on military aviation to suppress the Ukrainian attacks from the video's I've seen...

The arguments seem to be that yes Ukraine is "out-gunned" but they have the United States giving them the intel and they have individually better and longer ranged artillery than the Russians do so they win in these exchanges with the incompetent Russians.

And I have seen it acknowledged even in Russian sources that for the first 6-8 months of the war Ukraine did have a big advantage when it came to intel and drone warfare, but that advantage has now been significantly reduced or eliminated completely since the start of the year.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
what's going on

quote:

In accordance with section 12304(f) of title 10, United States Code, I am providing notice that I have authorized the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Department of the Navy, to order to active duty members and units of the Selected Reserve and appropriately designated Individual Ready Reserve members, without the consent of the member concerned, pursuant to 12304(a) of title 10, United States Code. Reserve mobilizations under this authorization are not to exceed 3,000 total members at any one time, of whom not more than 450 may be members of the Individual Ready Reserve. These Reserve Component forces are to augment the active forces for Operation Atlantic Resolve to enhance the United States’ ability to sustain its heightened level of presence and operations in support of United States European Command.

A copy of the Executive Order I have issued is enclosed.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

THE WHITE HOUSE,
July 13, 2023.

quote:

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 121 and 12304 of title 10, United States Code, I hereby determine that it is necessary to augment the active Armed Forces of the United States for the effective conduct of Operation Atlantic Resolve in and around the United States European Command’s area of responsibility. In furtherance of this operation, under the stated authority, I hereby authorize the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, under their respective jurisdictions, to order to active duty any units, and any individual members not assigned to a unit organized to serve as a unit of the Selected Reserve, or any member in the Individual Ready Reserve mobilization category and designated as essential under regulations prescribed by the Secretary concerned, not to exceed 3,000 total members at any one time, of whom not more than 450 may be members of the Individual Ready Reserve, as they deem necessary, and to terminate the service of those units and members ordered to active duty.

This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

THE WHITE HOUSE,
July 13, 2023.

quote:

Operation Atlantic Resolve, though not a "named" operation, refers to military activities in response to Russian operations in Ukraine, mainly the War in Donbass. It was funded under the European Deterrence Initiative. In the wake of Russia's 2014 intervention in Ukraine, the U.S. and the U.K. took several immediate steps to enhance the deterrence posture along the eastern flank of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), including augmenting the air, ground and naval presence in the region, and enhancing previously scheduled exercises.[1]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean, normal people (in the US) probably have no clue about anything that has been happening or simply don't care. Some may have heard there was going to be a big offensive and it went nowhere, but it probably gets a shrug from them. The NAFO types/SA goons probably know something is off deep down, but they programmed themselves to withstand the "bad thoughts."

Basically, there isn't a coherent argument because they are: 1. either people who don't care at all, or 2. people who care way too much and will never accept anything besides good news. There is a reason why there was probably more productive discussion between Moscow and DC during the Cold War compared to what is going on in this forum in 2023.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zodium posted:

ukraine's last hope is to spam roll generals and hope for one with high rolls, put him in a bait stack and lure russia into attacking across a river or up mountains, then force march a full reinforcement stack timed to arrive the day after the russians do.

That is so much work, god drat, I'd just start the game over.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
*meanwhile in Freeland*
Indigenous Women in Canada Forcibly Sterilized Decades After Other Rich Countries Stopped

www.usnews.com posted:

TORONTO (AP) — Decades after many other rich countries stopped forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women, numerous activists, doctors, politicians and at least five class-action lawsuits say the practice has not ended in Canada.

A Senate report last year concluded “this horrific practice is not confined to the past, but clearly is continuing today.” In May, a doctor was penalized for forcibly sterilizing an Indigenous woman in 2019.
Indigenous leaders say the country has yet to fully reckon with its troubled colonial past — or put a stop to a decades-long practice that is considered a type of genocide.

There are no solid estimates on how many women are still being sterilized against their will or without their knowledge, but Indigenous experts say they regularly hear complaints about it. Sen. Yvonne Boyer, whose office is collecting the limited data available, says at least 12,000 women have been affected since the 1970s.
“Whenever I speak to an Indigenous community, I am swamped with women telling me that forced sterilization happened to them,” Boyer, who has Indigenous Metis heritage, told The Associated Press.

Medical authorities in Canada’s Northwest Territories issued a series of punishments in May in what may be the first time a doctor has been sanctioned for forcibly sterilizing an Indigenous woman, according to documents obtained by the AP.

The case involves Dr. Andrew Kotaska, who performed an operation to relieve an Indigenous woman's abdominal pain in November 2019. He had her written consent to remove her right fallopian tube, but the patient, an Inuit woman, had not agreed to the removal of her left tube; losing both would leave her sterile.
Despite objections from other medical staff during the surgery, Kotaska took out both fallopian tubes.

The investigation concluded there was no medical justification for the sterilization, and Kotaska was found to have engaged in unprofessional conduct. Kotaska's “severe error in surgical judgment” was unethical, cost the patient the chance to have more children and could undermine trust in the medical system, investigators said.

The case was likely not exceptional.
Thousands of Indigenous Canadian women over the past seven decades were coercively sterilized, in line with eugenics legislation that deemed them inferior. In the U.S., forced sterilizations of Native American women mostly ended in the 1970s after new regulations were adopted requiring informed consent.

The Geneva Conventions describe forced sterilization as a type of genocide and crime against humanity and the Canadian government has condemned reports of forced sterilization elsewhere, including among Uyghur women in China.

In 2018, the U.N. Committee Against Torture told Canada it was concerned about persistent reports of forced sterilization, saying all allegations should be investigated and those found responsible held accountable.

In 2019, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged that the murders and disappearances of Indigenous women across Canada amounted to “genocide,” but activists say little has been done to address ingrained prejudices against the Indigenous, allowing forced sterilizations to continue.

In a statement, the Canadian government told the AP it was aware of allegations that Indigenous women were forcibly sterilized and the matter is before the courts.
“Sterilization of women without their informed consent constitutes an assault and is a criminal offense,” the government said.

“We recognize the pressing need to end this practice across Canada,” it said, adding that it is working with provincial and territorial authorities, health agencies and Indigenous groups to eliminate systemic racism in the country's health systems.

Boyer, the senator collecting data on the issue, recalled once being approached by a tearful Indigenous woman describing her forced sterilization.

“It made my knees buckle to hear her story and to realize how common it was,” Boyer said. "Nothing has changed legally or culturally in Canada to stop this.”

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

what's going on

Its a cover your rear end sort of thing. You cant activate reserve units unless the president signs off on it, and this is a blanket statement for Ops shops to start making lists on who to activate in support of a particular mission.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BadOptics posted:

I like how the article mentions a document by the Russian government to build 25 super-kill gulag complexes, and yet there's never a link to said document or anything.

Edit: Like you can point to the meeting minutes from the Wannsee Conference regarding the Nazi regime's plans for genocide, and yet there's claims of similar documents drafted/published by the Russians but no one can see them?

3/10 solid criticism of the topic but this was a perfect opportunity to do a steamed hams riff and you didnt even try cmon man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol that’s literally genocide

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you guys are feeling like a deep dive, there are several books about all of the guys Monty fired. It’s really interesting and the central premise of the scholarship is that institutionally, that’s the difference between a wartime and peacetime Army. Lincoln of course fired general officers like crazy, and the same thing happened in the Great War. The Psychology of Military Incompetence is the book everyone has to read on their staff course that is entirely about it.

Basically, any officer up to Army and Corps commanders might be fired, some argue should be fired, in the first year of a major war because the qualities that make a good officer at those levels are counter to those needed in a war. The inverse is true, brilliant, heroic types make absolutely terrible administrators, don’t train their subordinates, aren’t predictable - they’re not steady. In peacetime, you cannot maintain an institution with “inspired” people in charge because institutions require regularity.

There’s more institutional and command theory to it but the wrinkle the thread would like is that having a huge officer corps so you have a deep bench to draw from, can fire and shuffle people around, develop talent in peacetime that you can discard despite sunk cost, when they don’t have the je ne said quois (literally, some theorists believe you can’t train or even identify talent in peacetime, take Grant and Sherman as examples). This is all anathema to neoliberal theories of management and efficiency and one of the main targets of consultants.

McKinsey hates that you have a lot of people doing staff work in the chance that one might be the man who relieves the division commander, and that you have no idea if he has that spark in peacetime where he might be a demotivated, ho hum administrator. Meanwhile a career hustle mindset wonderkid like Petraeus , McArthur, McClellan or Lord Gort, might be a huge drag on the war. If they’re too popular and connected to fire, your military needs to take huge L’s before you can fire them, and that’s a very painful learning experience seemingly every professional officer corps goes through in the initial phase of a war.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

That was the point yes :canada:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I usually avoid talking about politics with people, so I can't really say what folks around me generally think of the war. The few I did speak to about it did not believe Ukraine would win the war.

I did have an interesting conversation with some boomers, all well off libs who lived for decades in the US. They all believed Russia would win the war despite reading all of their news from mainstream western sources. No amount of propaganda could dispel the idea that Russia is a huge military power that defeated Germany and put the fear of annihilation into the US. If Russia was even a threat to the US, then there is no way a country like Ukraine could hope to win.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

what's going on

3000 is not a lot of people, and the Individual Ready Reserve is made up of people who already did their time and got out but are still on the rolls for WW3 call up for another few years. Given that there's no way you'd call up the IRR for anything short of the end of the world because they'd be more bitter and hateful (and older) than your average draftee Id say this is some generic thing to activate a few weekend warriors for some poo poo duty they can't get anyone else to volunteer for. I'm pretty sure they did this for Iraq and Afghanistan all the time. Navy reservists would get called up to go be guards in a desert because they didn't have enough army people to cover the job.

It's probably nothing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Nix Panicus posted:

3000 is not a lot of people, and the Individual Ready Reserve is made up of people who already did their time and got out but are still on the rolls for WW3 call up for another few years.

It's probably nothing.

you just said this is the ww3 callup!!!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

euphronius posted:

yeah there's been some very brutal investigative journalism reporting that paints a very grim picture on how indigenous people are treated in the hospital system in Canada. They are flat our denied care and victims of malpractice at a far greater incidence than non indigenous people.

Canadians are racist as all get out.. just not in the way that people normally think about racism.. get people talking about the indigenous though and it all comes out.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

If you guys are feeling like a deep dive, there are several books about all of the guys Monty fired. It’s really interesting and the central premise of the scholarship is that institutionally, that’s the difference between a wartime and peacetime Army. Lincoln of course fired general officers like crazy, and the same thing happened in the Great War. The Psychology of Military Incompetence is the book everyone has to read on their staff course that is entirely about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWxxZ2JGE

One of the points here was that even though the generals were sacked, it didn't end their careers, and they got another shot in some other theater or front.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Canada sanctions when?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

powerful probe image imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Frosted Flake posted:

the good guys win big

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine has had nothing but Ambrose Burnside's this entire war

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

name me one drat movie that smooth brained war lovers have seen where the good guys don't win big

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

They don't think about that stuff. They don't know about it.

A great majority of the US doesn't even have a connection the someone in the military. There was once a time when maybe and uncle, father, cousin, or grandpa could point out some bullshit with regards to basic military tactics, but not anymore. A lot of folks just see movies/tv and think that's what it's like.

I've pointed some of this bullshit out to liberal friends/family recently and they just get mad.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

libs literally think Russians are down to T-62's now. And they've been out of artillery since March 2022. And all their tires were bad because chinese.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like to think I’m knowledgable but I hate not having the time to research everything. When I have researched everything, it’s hard to narrow down the “perfect” approach.

Tactical Problems like “Your company is the vanguard 30 minutes from contact and 30 minutes from help from the main body. Your recce section has identified an unknown enemy force ahead. You have 10 minutes to develop a plan.”

Always stressed me out. Stakes are too high. Not enough information. What if I overcommit? If I undercommit I’ve just blown the Brigade’s timetable. Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo.

Solution: Reassigned to planning staff.

Alternative solution: Follow Land Forces Manual exactly

Some guys just have the stuff, and can work outside of the book, but you would never know because it’s not an acceptable outcome in training for them to be successful - but then in the AAR explain their decision by saying they “just trusted their instincts”. I’ll defend that institutionally, that’s not useful training because it doesn’t contribute to a body of knowledge other people can draw from.

When I’m stuck, how am I supposed to remember that some other guy in a similar situation felt funny and winged it?

Anyway, some people are meant to be Monty and some were meant to be helping him make decisions by providing information, the doctrinal solution, and drafting his plans. I’m alright with that. The problem is when careers are on the line, most people are not content to be terminal Captains, Majors or even Lieutenant Colonels, and so managing them in wartime is considered one of the most difficult tasks for a senior officer.

Especially when they are politically connected, Lord Gort was a Lord, Petraeus married the West Point Commandant’s daughter while a cadet etc. My Old Man is very good at hobnobbing, half of the people I went to school and worked (and work) with are the kids of senior officers. Now my Old Man is in a different arm, so he never meddled in my career, but lots of people’s do, and then that makes it very likely that there are clusters of people with protected careers either promoted above their ability or in positions that don’t suit their temperament.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

name me one drat movie that smooth brained war lovers have seen where the good guys don't win big

Cross of iron

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The vibe from the other threads is that Russia is using outmoded decades old technology made mostly out of rust that requires a thousand shots to hit anything and they only have one bullet. Meanwhile Ukraine has an endless supply of extremely accurate weapons and invincible tanks that are only ever temporarily inconvenienced. It's video game logic. How can a level 1 rookie in starter gear defeat a level 60 decked out in epics?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1678057788663029761

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

the battle at lake chanjin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Haven't seen one of these for a while

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/13/it-was-like-in-world-war-one-the-foreign-volunteers-fighting-in-ukraine

quote:

A medic and former member of the Parachute regiment, Alan fought in various conflicts and worked as a private military contractor in Iraq and Afghanistan. He rarely visits the UK and lives in Croatia.
Neither volunteer has signed an official contract with Ukraine’s armed forces. Their commander covered day-to-day expenses, Alan said. The Kremlin alleges its “special military operation” is needed to “denazify” Ukraine and claims the Da Vinci Wolves group is a far-right nationalist outfit. Its leader, Dmytro “Da Vinci” Kotsyubaylo, died in March while fighting near Bakhmut.

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, and other senior government figures attended Kotsyubaylo’s funeral in Kyiv, which was screened live on national television, with the soldier’s open coffin taken from St Michael’s gold-domed monastery to the capital’s Maidan independence square. Zelenskiy called the fallen soldier a hero.

Alan said: “The guys I am with are patriots. I have yet to find a Nazi anywhere on this side of the lines.”

quote:

Full name: 1st Battalion “Da Vinci Wolves” Ukrainian Volunteer Corps “Right Sector”

Wow who could have guessed