Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Wasn't there some poll or study where conservative voters would support certain policies but would oppose them as soon as they found out that they're from liberals/Democrats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mustang posted:

Wasn't there some poll or study where conservative voters would support certain policies but would oppose them as soon as they found out that they're from liberals/Democrats?

There were numerous polls about Obamacare which Republicans and some independence hated it. Than if you asked them about the policies under the Affordable Care Act, they thought they were great and think they should be passed.

I can't find it but I swear there was a study that white people loved government benefits until they learned that a black person might get them in which case they will trash the whole program even if it hurts them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mooseontheloose posted:

There were numerous polls about Obamacare which Republicans and some independence hated it. Than if you asked them about the policies under the Affordable Care Act, they thought they were great and think they should be passed.

I can't find it but I swear there was a study that white people loved government benefits until they learned that a black person might get them in which case they will trash the whole program even if it hurts them.

There were also polls where they gave two groups a description of a proposed policy. The contents were identical, but the label of one was "universal healthcare" while the label on the other was "healthcare reform." The latter had broad support from a majority of everyone regardless of political affiliation. The former split on party affiliation lines. The wild part is that there were a substantial number of dems who opposed the "reform" but supported UHC.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

They gunshy on what "reform" is supposed to mean. It's this chimera poo poo, conservatives run on "reforming" poo poo to death all the time. NCLB was "school reform" etc

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I think that does actually make sense, if you come from the perspective that anything Party X does (in general or on a specific subject) is poisoned. If Republicans come to me saying they've got a great idea to protect gay marriage, I'm going to be very distrustful and looking for the catch, even if the 1-2 sentence summary sounds nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That's pretty obvious though. Lots of things sounds good until you get into the actual details of who/what/when/why/*how*.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
The 'Clear' Skies Act and 'Healthy' Forests Initiative were 20 years ago.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Citizens United actually does what now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DeathChicken posted:

Citizens United actually does what now

A Quicken in every pot.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/clarence-thomas-received-a-super-bowl-ring-from-jerry-jones

Add Jerry Jones to the list of Supreme Court benefactors.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He won't have a lot of those to hand out.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/12/clarence-thomas-aide-venmo-payments-lawyers-supreme-court?CMP=share_btn_tw

Lawyers with supreme court business paid Clarence Thomas aide via Venmo

quote:

Several lawyers who have had business before the supreme court, including one who successfully argued to end race-conscious admissions at universities, paid money to a top aide to Justice Clarence Thomas, according to the aide’s Venmo transactions. The payments appear to have been made in connection to Thomas’s 2019 Christmas party.

The payments to Rajan Vasisht, who served as Thomas’s aide from July 2019 to July 2021, seem to underscore the close ties between Thomas, who is embroiled in ethics scandals following a series of revelations about his relationship with a wealthy billionaire donor, and certain senior Washington lawyers who argue cases and have other business in front of the justice.

Vasisht’s Venmo account – which was public prior to requesting comment for this article and is no longer – show that he received seven payments in November and December 2019 from lawyers who previously served as Thomas legal clerks. The amount of the payments is not disclosed, but the purpose of each payment is listed as either “Christmas party”, “Thomas Christmas Party”, “CT Christmas Party” or “CT Xmas party”, in an apparent reference to the justice’s initials.

It's not as bad as the earlier stuff, but not good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It's gonna be they all chipped in for a cake or dinner or something.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

They’re all former clerks, it’s 100% chipping in for the booze for the party.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Why would you have to chip in? It’s not like they were drinking $1000 / bottle wines

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Clarence Thomas does seem like exactly the type of rear end in a top hat who would make his employees pay for their own alcohol at his xmas party

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Papercut posted:

Clarence Thomas does seem like exactly the type of rear end in a top hat who would make his employees pay for their own alcohol at his xmas party

in that case the pubes are free of charge

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That guardian article is pretty weak sauce.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol at people simply believing the Venmo payment notes.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Not anything especially new or dramatic, but the AP has a report on what the Supreme Court justices get up to with their lack of an ethics code. Activities that are prohibited for lesser judges, such as using their government staff to help feather their own nests or fundraising. As usual, the SC dodges all responsibility and offers tedious quibbling for why nothing they do is ethically dubious.

Book Sales posted:

The documents reveal how university visits are a convenient way for justices to sell their own books. That’s especially true in the case of Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a prolific author who has kept the court’s most active travel schedule over the past decade, according to the records reviewed by the AP.

Emails and other documents show that Supreme Court staff members have been directly engaged in facilitating book sales by asking schools how many copies they want to buy and by helping to arrange the purchase of mass quantities.

At a 2019 event jointly hosted by the Multnomah County Library in Oregon and Portland Community College, a Sotomayor aide told organizers that “250 books is definitely not enough” for a program with an expected 1,000 guests in which people would be required to have a copy to meet the justice for a signing after the event.

Michigan State University purchased 11,000 copies to be distributed to incoming first-year students. When Clemson University in South Carolina worried that 60 copies might be too many for Sotomayor to sign, a staffer reassured the school that “most institutions order in the ranges of 400 and up.”

And before a scheduled visit to the law school at the University of California, Davis, for the 2018 commencement, the court staff pitched the school on signed copies of her books in connection with the event.

In a statement, a Supreme Court spokesperson said that staff members work to follow judicial ethics guidance and that “at no time have attendees been required to buy a book in order to attend an event.”

“Schools have occasionally invited Justice Sotomayor to take part in a program in which they select a book for an entire school or a freshman class, and the Justice gives a book talk,” the statement said. “When she is invited to participate in a book program, Chambers staff recommends the number of books based on the size of the audience so as not to disappoint attendees who may anticipate books being available at an event, and they will put colleges or universities in touch with the Justice’s publisher when asked to do so.”

Fundraising posted:

Supreme Court justices insist that they cannot and do not participate in fundraising events. But the emails obtained by the AP show that the court’s definition of a fundraiser — an event that raises more than it costs or where guests are asked for contributions — excludes much of the work that typically goes into persuading a wealthy donor to cut a check.

That’s given schools wide latitude to court rich patrons.

For instance, ahead of a 2017 event with Justice Clarence Thomas, officials at McLennan Community College in Texas worked with the prominent conservative lawyer Ken Starr and his wife, Alice, to craft a guest list designed to reward school patrons and incentivize future contributions. In an interview, Starr’s widow called it “friendraising.”

In an email planning the event, the executive director of the college’s foundation wrote that she had thoughts about whom to invite “mainly because they are wealthy conservative Catholics who would align with Clarence Thomas and who have not previously given.”

Thomas isn’t the only one whose status as a justice has been leveraged by schools eager to capitalize with donors. Before Justice Elena Kagan visited the University of Colorado’s law school, one official suggested a “larger donor to staff ratio” for a 2019 dinner with her, emails show. Another event organizer said the organizer was “open to suggestions about which VIP donors to cultivate relationships with.” A school spokesperson said the attendees weren’t asked for any donations connected to the event.

Clemson University in South Carolina hosted Sotomayor for a 2017 session with students and for a private luncheon. One official said it was hoped the events, which included donors, would “ultimately generate resources” for the university’s Humanities Advancement Board, which played a lead organizing role. As university officials devised a guest list, an alumni relations official wrote: “When you say $1M donors, please be sure to include our corporate donors at that level, too.”

A university spokesman said the event with Sotomayor was not a fundraiser.

In a statement, a court spokesperson said it “routinely asks event organizers to confirm that an event at which a Justice will speak is not a fundraiser, and it provides a definition of ‘fundraiser’ in order to avoid misunderstandings.” The spokesperson said justices have occasionally declined to attend events even after being told expressly that they were not fundraisers.

Political Events posted:

Visits to universities are promoted as academic in nature, but they also have facilitated encounters between justices and elected officials.

Months after he was seated on the Supreme Court, Justice Neil Gorsuch attended an event at the University of Kentucky with then-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, hosted by a center to study the judiciary named after one of McConnell’s closest friends, a former federal judge.

In 2020, after teaching a weeklong course at the University of Florida’s law school, Thomas extended his stay in the state to attend a gathering of the regional branch of the Federalist Society, where he was introduced with effusive praise by Gov. Ron DeSantis, with whom he also had a private dinner.

Thomas also attended a private dinner during a visit to the University of Texas at Tyler that was sponsored by a group of donors to then-Rep. Louie Gohmert. Six years later, Gohmert would spearhead a lawsuit that sought to empower Vice President Mike Pence to overturn the outcome of the 2020 presidential election that Donald Trump lost.

A court spokesperson said: “Justices exercise caution in attending events that might be described as political in nature, following guidance in the Code of Conduct which cautions judges against engaging in political activity. Merely attending an event where an elected official might also be in attendance — such as several of the events described in your email — does not necessarily render the event impermissibly political in nature.”

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Could the democrats have gotten Harriet Miers confirmed in 2005? It probably would have been a better outcome for them

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Harriet Myers saga was 100% an enormous own goal by Democrats, but only in retrospect.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

pencilhands posted:

Could the democrats have gotten Harriet Miers confirmed in 2005? It probably would have been a better outcome for them

They couldn't even get her subpoenaed. Or is that the joke?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

AvesPKS posted:

They couldn't even get her subpoenaed. Or is that the joke?

I’m not joking, I’m wondering if they could have joined forces with 10 or so republicans and gotten her confirmed and avoided Alito.

Wait you’ve apparently only needed 50 votes to confirm a Supreme Court justice since forever, that’s all Clarence Thomas needed. I thought that was a new thing. Did I just get mandela effected?

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 13, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pencilhands posted:

I’m not joking, I’m wondering if they could have joined forces with 10 or so republicans and gotten her confirmed and avoided Alito.

Wait you’ve apparently only needed 50 votes to confirm a Supreme Court justice since forever, that’s all Clarence Thomas needed. I thought that was a new thing. Did I just get mandela effected?

Filibusters for SCOTUS nominees was still a thing back then and I'm not sure how or why anyone things Myers would've been an improvement over Alito, unless there's a belief that her incompetence could've resulted in her ruling in favor of the GOP less than Alito despite the fact she was a a GOP faithful through and through.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

pencilhands posted:

I mean the senate was controlled by Democrats so they didn’t need to filibuster, they had full control over if it got to the floor, it just wasn’t a thing at the time to refuse to give a SCOTUS nominee a vote.

And 11 Democrats voted for him.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

Filibusters for SCOTUS nominees was still a thing back then and I'm not sure how or why anyone things Myers would've been an improvement over Alito, unless there's a belief that her incompetence could've resulted in her ruling in favor of the GOP less than Alito despite the fact she was a a GOP faithful through and through.

According to Wikipedia she may have secretly been pro choice based on comments to Arlen Specter

Also Alito is in league with Thomas in that they make even the other GOP scotus nominees look moderate. It seems plausible that just about anyone else would have been more liberal than Alito ended up being.

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 13, 2023

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are SC nominees subject to the blue slip?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

Are SC nominees subject to the blue slip?

No. (Nor have they ever been. Blue slips are generally a DCT thing, and are sometimes applied at the circuit level.)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pencilhands posted:

According to Wikipedia she may have secretly been pro choice based on comments to Arlen Specter

Also Alito is in league with Thomas in that they make even the other GOP scotus nominees look moderate. It seems plausible that just about anyone else would have been more liberal than Alito ended up being.

While Harriet Miers' extremely thin record created quite a bit of doubt about her positions, there was no real reason for anyone to think that Bush's personal lawyer, good friend, and incompetent crony was going to be a liberal on the bench or prioritize the law over conservative doctrine.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i'm sure she was pro-choice, for herself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pencilhands posted:

Confirmation has always been simple majority (50+1) it's in the constitution.

Cloture (the vote to have the confirmation vote) took 60 up until Republicans changed the senate rules in 2017 to confirm Trump's pick (Democrats had previously changed it for all judges except the supreme court during Obama's presidency in response to the GOP filibustering all of Obama's nominees.)

Some Democrats tried to filibuster Alito's nomination too but a bunch of them crossed the aisle to vote with the GOP. Cloture got 75 votes.

If you want to read more about it, there was something called the Gang of 14 which formed due to successful Democratic filibusters of some other judicial appointees and Republican threats to use the nuclear option. 7 Democrats and 7 Republicans struck a deal, the Democrats would vote with Republicans to break Democratic filibusters and in exchange the 7 Republicans agreed to vote against the nuclear option if Bush's pick was 'too extreme'.

Alito, who wrote the opinion finally killing abortion rights, was apparently not too extreme because the gang of 14 unanimously voted for cloture. In the end all of Bush's appointees that Democrats had tried to filibuster were confirmed, except for three which had already withdrawn their own candidacies.

While it may appear the Democrats were completely routed in this instance, they gained valuable political capital which will no doubt serve them well if an unexpected SCOTUS vacancy happens in Obama's second term.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 14, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

VitalSigns posted:

Confirmation has always been simple majority (50+1) it's in the constitution.

Cloture (the vote to have the confirmation vote) took 60 up until Republicans changed the senate rules in 2017 to confirm Trump's pick (Democrats had previously changed it for all judges except the supreme court during Obama's presidency in response to the GOP filibustering all of Obama's nominees.)

Some Democrats tried to filibuster Alito's nomination too but a bunch of them crossed the aisle to vote with the GOP. Cloture got 75 votes.

If you want to read more about it, there was something called the Gang of 14 which formed due to successful Democratic filibusters of some other judicial appointees and Republican threats to use the nuclear option. 7 Democrats and 7 Republicans struck a deal, the Democrats would vote with Republicans to break Democratic filibusters and in exchange the 7 Republicans agreed to vote against the nuclear option if Bush's pick was 'too extreme'.

Alito, who wrote the opinion finally killing abortion rights, was apparently not too extreme because the gang of 14 unanimously voted for cloture. In the end all of Bush's appointees that Democrats had tried to filibuster were confirmed, except for three which had already withdrawn their own candidacies.

While it may appear the Democrats were completely routed in this instance, they gained valuable political capital which will no doubt serve them well if an unexpected SCOTUS vacancy happens in Obama's second term.

Ugh so democrats are poo poo again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pencilhands posted:

Ugh so democrats are poo poo againstill.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

While Harriet Miers' extremely thin record created quite a bit of doubt about her positions, there was no real reason for anyone to think that Bush's personal lawyer, good friend, and incompetent crony was going to be a liberal on the bench or prioritize the law over conservative doctrine.

It's still reasonable to believe the court would've been better off with Miers -> Roberts than with Roberts -> Alito. (Assuming that's what would've happened).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It doesn't matter anyway, Miers didn't go to an Ivy League school and didn't have the proper resume, she was culturally unacceptable even if she is more liberal than Alito in her heart. Democrats on the judiciary committee were very offended that she, unlike smart class brain Barrett whom Feinstein praised for her preparedness and intelligence, didn't know the answers to the oral exam.

Reid, who was a little more savvy than most senate Democrats, was the one who suggested her to Bush, and I'm inclined to think that was a smart play since just about anyone likely would have been better purely by accident than any judge from the Federalist society's underground cloning vats, but most other Democrats didn't don't think strategically in that way. The honor and majesty of the court and all that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Armack posted:

It's still reasonable to believe the court would've been better off with Miers -> Roberts than with Roberts -> Alito. (Assuming that's what would've happened).

I can't see any reason to think she would have been less of an obedient conservative than Alito was.

Alito was a well-known conservative, yeah. But Miers had donated to anti-abortion organizations, tried to get the ABA to rescind its statements in support of the legality of abortion, and during her brief political career she expressed support for a constitutional amendment banning abortion. While she wasn't exactly well-known, the idea that she might have been an abortion rights defender if she'd gotten the seat instead of Alito is pure conjecture. In fact, I'd think she'd be even worse than Alito (if that's even possible) because she could barely even pretend to know or care about the law - she was pretty transparently a purely political agent who was getting the nom for her loyalty to the Bush family and the conservative movement in general.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It (Reid suggesting Bush nominate Miers) was a smart play because it made Bush look like more of a good-old-boy idiot. Miers once said GW Bush was the smartest man she'd ever met. There is absolutely nothing impressive about Miers, even to people who pay attention to how impressive lawyers are.
"Miers was good, actually" is the weirdest alt-history I've seen here. Democrats were not "offended" she didn't know "the answers to an oral exam", they thought she didn't know a thing about the law because she hasn't been involved with it in years.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It's not that Miers was "good" it's that it's not possible for her to have a worse SC judicial record than Alito has had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Papercut posted:

It's not that Miers was "good" it's that it's not possible for her to have a worse SC judicial record than Alito has had

There is always more and it is always worse.