Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
No it wasn't a false report about the transport plane full of VDV getting shot down. The US provided the Intel for it

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-protect-air-defenses-shoot-russian-plane-carry-rcna26015

I would argue this is one of the most strategically important tactical actions of the entire war so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

:wtc:
How do peoples' brains become this broken, just loving how

It was easy for Kremlin propaganda and bots to basically signal boost the legit problems of the world for the last decade because, let's be honest, things in the 21st century are not exactly running well and increasing numbers of people are finding themselves on the wrong side of worsening economic stratification.

Then they start slipping in the more hardline and social conservative stuff, and the same people who parroted the legit criticism just kept uncritically parroting Russia's bullshit when it got to the "western blue haired SJWs want to turn your innocent children trans" and "the Ukrainian people are actually Russian and yearn for freedom from the evil coked up nazi Zelensky" point.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 13, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

tiaz posted:

They can't safely go further with them, but they don't have to jerry-rig western munitions and do weird ground-programming chicanery like they did with those antiradar missiles to make it work at all. Between that and soft factors they should actually be more effective than the MiG-29s they've been using (iirc), but not decisive.

Oh yeah, they'll absolutely help quite a bit, they've just been way over-hyped.

HonorableTB posted:

No it wasn't a false report about the transport plane full of VDV getting shot down. The US provided the Intel for it

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-protect-air-defenses-shoot-russian-plane-carry-rcna26015

I would argue this is one of the most strategically important tactical actions of the entire war so far.

Thanks for the correction and I agree with that.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Pigma_Micron posted:

I was thinking that some of those (especially the Thompson) were looking pretty fuckin' cherry.

Look, it's hard to believe ANYTHING in this war but, I wouldn't be surprised if this was propaganda from Russia, Ukraine, OR pissed off Wagner troops using exactly that kind of display piece.

wonder if they're those new production semi auto thompsons

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

hazardousmouse posted:

wonder if they're those new production semi auto thompsons

Probably not. It's not a great gun for military use anyway and the US switched to the M3 as soon as it could. It's ridiculously expensive, heavy, temperamental, and chambered in a round that's unused in Russia and Europe in any quantity. And you'd have to get the lovely shell of Auto-Ordinance to get an export license to a sanctioned country for military use, or just smuggle them over... for some reason.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

russian BMP

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

russian BMP

Body Masturbation Pillow?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

DkHelmet posted:

Probably not. It's not a great gun for military use anyway and the US switched to the M3 as soon as it could. It's ridiculously expensive, heavy, temperamental, and chambered in a round that's unused in Russia and Europe in any quantity. And you'd have to get the lovely shell of Auto-Ordinance to get an export license to a sanctioned country for military use, or just smuggle them over... for some reason.

WW2 era thompsons were $200 USD in 1930s-1940s money, they were really expensive even after being modified to be simpler and cheaper

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

EasilyConfused posted:

Also F-16s aren't exactly stealthy, so I'm not sure they're going to be able to do any significant force projection with them given the massive amounts of anti-air Russia has.
Isn't a lot value in F-16 that it opens up a lot of options for NATO missiles and bombs?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Isn't a lot value in F-16 that it opens up a lot of options for NATO missiles and bombs?

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 13, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“Autonomous free flight dispensers system” what does it dispense, free samples?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Arivia posted:

bomblets that gently caress up runways, or bomblets that gently caress up armor, etc.

It's a cluster bomb with ordnance options

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

MrQwerty posted:

bomblets that gently caress up runways, or bomblets that gently caress up armor, etc.

It's a cluster bomb with ordnance options

so, yeah, free samples.

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

I'm relieved that they're compatible with Pilots.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Seeing that exploded ordnance view makes me wonder why they couldn't also mount a sidewinder to the tip of the vertical stabilizer just like they do at the tip of each wing.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I've always wondered what a sane Russian would be like if they met some western tankie IRL

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

McGavin posted:

Body Masturbation Pillow?

Thats the (5mins) leave command promised them. Morale is strong!

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

So it looks like Biden just called for 3K reservists to be pulled up to active duty as support for Europe/NATO efforts. Presumably this is backfill for people deployed as support for NATO partners. Training, logistics, manning boats and poo poo, etc.

Small number of people but unusual enough to warrant attention I guess. Not sure what prompted it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...to-active-duty/

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Objective Action posted:

So it looks like Biden just called for 3K reservists to be pulled up to active duty as support for Europe/NATO efforts. Presumably this is backfill for people deployed as support for NATO partners. Training, logistics, manning boats and poo poo, etc.

Small number of people but unusual enough to warrant attention I guess. Not sure what prompted it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...to-active-duty/

Not sure it's unusual. It's really common to call up reservists for exercises.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tai posted:

I've always wondered what a sane Russian would be like if they met some western tankie IRL

that would require a tankie to leave their house

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

that would require a tankie to leave their parents' house basement

ftfy

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

the popes toes posted:

I believe you, don't really know anything about how that all works. Just thought it was interesting since it was a few thousand people specifically earmarked as going towards support for "Operation Atlantic Resolve". I don't recall usually seeing specific EOs to pull reservists up to full active duty like that either but I admit I haven't looked into it carefully.

:shrug:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

the popes toes posted:

reserves sure. not IRR tho.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ded posted:

reserves sure. not IRR tho.

I have 2 years left in IRR.

gently caress

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress

I had a bunch of friends get called back for IRR duty a while back while I wasn't. Sometimes there is just a weird shortage of a specific MOS in certain areas due to retirements or other stuff and they need a few folk to paint some parking lots while the trainees finish school. Chances of recall are of course higher the more specialized your MOS... I bet there are a number of Russian linguists getting brought back for a few more months.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

El Jebus posted:

I had a bunch of friends get called back for IRR duty a while back while I wasn't. Sometimes there is just a weird shortage of a specific MOS in certain areas due to retirements or other stuff and they need a few folk to paint some parking lots while the trainees finish school. Chances of recall are of course higher the more specialized your MOS... I bet there are a number of Russian linguists getting brought back for a few more months.

11b

So I guess if I get called back im going to die operating a Davy Crockett

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In college a colonel from ft Jackson, SC called to try and recruit me for SIGINT because I was just back from Russia and they promised me free college and a commission in exchange for ten years service, likely translating intercepts in some central European base lol. Ten years was a long time so I said nah

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

Airdropped version of a T-shirt cannon.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
im pretty sure a group of f16s loaded with harms/air superiority missiles and accompanied by decoy drones would absolutely loving ruin russias day, but im not a pilot or even an air force vet so :shrug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/six-more-gepard-spaags-were-delivered-to-ukraine/

quote:

Germany handed over another six Gepard anti-aircraft self-propelled guns and ammunition to the Ukrainian air defense.

The website of the German government reports that, in total, Ukraine received 40 such air defense systems.

Germany also transferred 6000 rounds to these Gepard anti-aircraft systems.

The updated list of German aid also includes systems for IRIS-T SLM SAM.

Ten units of laser aiming equipment and ten fire command units for the IRIS-T SLM SAM were transferred to Ukraine.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

e: nv

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 14, 2023

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

How long will 150 rounds last one system?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Vaginaface posted:

Given the number of lovely drones being fired almost daily at Ukrainian cities, not all that long.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

11b

So I guess if I get called back im going to die operating a Davy Crockett

Hey, at least you'll get a front row seat*!

HonorableTB posted:

In college a colonel from ft Jackson, SC called to try and recruit me for SIGINT because I was just back from Russia and they promised me free college and a commission in exchange for ten years service, likely translating intercepts in some central European base lol. Ten years was a long time so I said nah

That is where I went to basic! I was a Russian linguist's roommate for a bit, too. 10 years is a long rear end time and you made the right choice.

*trench

naem
May 29, 2011

I had to opportunity to spend a year active duty in europe to replace guys taken off bases there and regret not doing it

I would have painted those parking lots so hard

McCoyPauley
Aug 29, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress

I doubt they need anyone to eat crayons on the Polish side of the border, you'll be fine bro.

(Also, did no one tell you the secret to not getting re-activated? It's: keep eating and drinking like you're still enlisted, but stop doing pt)

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

XYZAB posted:

Seeing that exploded ordnance view makes me wonder why they couldn't also mount a sidewinder to the tip of the vertical stabilizer just like they do at the tip of each wing.

that is a done thing iirc

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Zippy the Bummer posted:

that is a done thing iirc

no it

what

I've never seen it done if it is. store separation seems like a nightmare, how could you prevent it from impacting the airframe? it has to go up first, it (*e: seems like it) would be a totally different launch system

2e: wait poo poo that's the joke isn't it.

Vaginaface posted:

I've seen intercepts with 10-15 rounds so I would say 10ish shot down. I've also seen them fire 3-5 round bursts so maybe they've got hot-poo poo operators who are more efficient than that

tiaz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 14, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The_Franz posted:

Žižek espousing a similar opinion seems to have broken a lot of brains too.

I read that as Žižek stating Bernie is a neocon and I did a double-take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

e: tweet deleted

zone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 14, 2023