Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

One of my free vinyl plus shipping orders was cancelled, the one I actually wanted. Disappointing.

Edit: And they cancelled the second. Oh well.

bagina fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

LP120 is $250 for prime day. That's about as good as you'll ever find it, these days.

https://a.co/d/30o0Wvx

That shortened link might have someone else's referral link in it, I can't strip it out on mobile.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

wa27 posted:

LP120 is $250 for prime day. That's about as good as you'll ever find it, these days.

https://a.co/d/30o0Wvx

That shortened link might have someone else's referral link in it, I can't strip it out on mobile.

Christ almighty at this point you might as well get a used Technics or something.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

bagina posted:

One of my free vinyl plus shipping orders was cancelled, the one I actually wanted. Disappointing.

Edit: And they cancelled the second. Oh well.

And this is why Crosleys continue to thrive.

Edit: quoted the wrong post but gently caress it, it’s funnier this way

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm going to buy the poo poo outta every single one of these, but Bone Machine FINALLY back in print yessssssssss. :kheldragar:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ooooh nice, these are all great.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

I'm going to buy the poo poo outta every single one of these, but Bone Machine FINALLY back in print yessssssssss. :kheldragar:

gently caress my wallet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

edit; never mind, got it

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
grabbed some stuff from Newbury

I grabbed the Bartees album since I heard a song of his from a different album I liked on Spotify, and this one was like 11 bucks. Love the colors, album not bad either!

Elliott is Elliott. I've heard this album a million times and I love this color on the vinyl.

I also ordered a copy of his album XO on amazon but that's coming in like a week.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Few I've been waiting on finally got here this week.

Zappa album had a FZ pick hiding in there

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I finally bit on it and bought this album I've wanted forever. Really wish they'd do a reissue for this band but I strongly doubt it will happen

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Dammit, Death Grips! :argh: Re-press both Ex-Military and Government Plates so I can have the full collection!

Also, I got some Japanese jazz/fusion, etc. while I was downtown yesterday:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 14, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The deal that keeps on giving:

I received this record a couple weeks ago. And they actually did refund the $8.60. :confused:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Was there ever any explanation for what happened there?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Heath posted:

Was there ever any explanation for what happened there?

Just that email. My only guess is they oversold stuff (as evidenced by the person earlier in the thread having theirs cancelled), and now they're getting confused about who to give refunds to.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I just got this in and I thought it would just going to be gloss, but the sleeve is like textured parchment and it makes it look like the whole sleeve was just made by hand with ballpoint pen:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Been awhile since ive done a pickup post:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Barring the first track (that attempt at rapping is...hm), Future Nostalgia fuckin' RULES. Tracks 3 and 6 are amazing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

I received this record a couple weeks ago. And they actually did refund the $8.60. :confused:

Lucky you, my Stage Fright was canceled yesterday and never arrived :(

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

drat, my order for an Ivory Coast album got canceled. I guess I was a sucker to think that every seller on Discogs actually had their stuff in stock lol

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Came across a record on Spotify of all places. I've been looking for this one for a while and actually wasn't sure that it received a wide release. Discogs prices hover around $50 which is hell no for a 45 (but loving tempting.)

The original is a fuckin' jam. Sounds like one of those oldies/low rider comp deep cuts. In fact I thought it was a cover at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLhTzq-TpY

But this version with Y La Bamba, I dunno, just haunting and transcendent stuff. Blows me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPWrepHW5c

Good poo poo. Oh and it was $17 shipped which is normally a no for a single but this is definitely a top five song for my wife and I.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I knew this was gonna happen. I ebayed a lovely bootleg of Bone Machine on some weird pepto pink vinyl that sounds pretty bad and a few months later the remaster is ready
not even a question to buy it again though

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wa27 posted:

I finished my PJ harvey demo-only collection with this "free with shipping". Which, after running production plants ragged the last half-decade made them the "right price" (which is, 8 bucks).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

A+ acquisition today:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Went to Dearborn Music today since my birthday is tomorrow, walked out with this.

Bought for myself:
American Football - LP2
Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors

Bought for me by fiancee:
The Academy Is - Almost Here
JoJos Bizarre Adventure Golden Wind OST 1

I was looking through the indie section and my fiancee was trying to get my attention and I'm engrossed, like "honey give me a sec" and I finally turn around and see the JoJo OST on the wall display and she's like "you see it right?"

Quite a fun find that I didnt even know was on vinyl let alone expecting to find it in some store in Dearborn MI.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

RubberLuffy posted:

Quite a fun find that I didnt even know was on vinyl let alone expecting to find it in some store in Dearborn MI.
The Farmington store is pretty great too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/MikeSimonetti/status/1680798692066902016?t=qaBI0nxs2cx4PX8GJrDbtg&s=19

Seems like discogs may be circling the drain (it's a long thread)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Well, this is concerning. I just placed a somewhat large order from a record store there yesterday. Should I cancel?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I just started using discogs a week ago. This sucks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, this is concerning. I just placed a somewhat large order from a record store there yesterday. Should I cancel?

Probably safe if they have a bunch of positive feedback recently.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Yeah I ordered something Friday and it shipped yesterday. And all the stuff I ordered from the week before got here.

I can’t actually read the thread because I don’t have a Twitter account, what’s the cliff notes of what’s happening?

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/mikesimonetti/status/1680927732375470080?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Ha-ha.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lol go figure but fitting because it's pretty much the same song and dance as twitter. The VMP CEO took over and has made a ton of bad changes. Staff got gutted, fees got increased, there's a massive scam bot problem, there's virtually no support system anymore...real ugly stuff.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Luckily I've had nothing but positive experiences on Discogs lately, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Is there a Discogs alternative out there? Ebay's too full of dumb fucks to trust.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I ordered something Friday and it shipped yesterday. And all the stuff I ordered from the week before got here.

I can’t actually read the thread because I don’t have a Twitter account, what’s the cliff notes of what’s happening?

He says they hired a new CEO, which doesn't seem to be true. The VMP guy was hired as COO, but it looks like the same guy is still in charge that always has been.

He said there was also recent layoffs, which I can't easily confirm or deny because it's impossible to google "discogs+anything" and get any useful results about the company lol. This supposedly has lead to an increase in scam sellers and terrible customer support for buyers and sellers.

Finally, most of the complaints are about increasing marketplace fees in various ways, which is making ebay a more appealing marketplace for sellers.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/mikesimonetti/status/1680932748259631107?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Maybe record store owners can price their records according to their local markets instead of just lazily looking it up on discogs and adding x%? Perhaps? :shrug:

How did record stores ever exist before someone made a website, huh.

pwn
May 27, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

Here is the full thread off of Twotter

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1680798692066902016.html

Edit: for posterity

quote:

i cant believe there isnt a music journalist out there documenting the fall of discogs. its fascinating watching it happen in real time.

sorry fell asleep. ill try to break it down. the guy from vinyl me please was announced as discogs CEO. if you know anything about VMP, you will know how poorly it is run. they remove their negative instagram comments, but trust me- it is a poo poo show there

around the same time discogs laid off a huge chunk of staff, about 70%. if you try to open a support request, it can take up to 2 months to get a reply. They also do not have any phone support, which is absolutely insane in this day and age. They are working w a skeleton crew

while this was happening there was a sudden deluge of scam accounts,and still are actually.The scam accts basically took over dormant accounts and started listing stuff very cheap,unsuspecting buyer sends money,seller disappears w money. this is a major issue at discogs currently

it does not seem like the new CEO has a handle on these scam accounts. instead of combatting that, discogs decides to raise their selling fees, and more importantly,charge a fee on the shipping cost, along with the item itself

marketed by discogs as a way to "fight fee avoidance" this was unpopular obviously, and seen as a cash grab. users were forced to pass the cost onto the buyer, and raise their prices. sales have slowed for many.

discogs sent out a very unpopular email to sellers instructing users how to raise their prices and pass the fee increase along to the buyer. Since then, sales have come to a halt for many.

this is problematic, seeing as discogs is how stores dictate the prices for the records they sell. Suddenly everyone is raising their prices which means eventually prices go up in stores. More money in fees for discogs. its like "insider trading" but for idiots.

Discogs adding fees to shipping was a terrible idea. They basicially leveled the playing field with Ebay. discogs users have began selling more on ebay since the fees are the same, and the cust service is better, and becsuse there are millions more users on ebay than discogs

this is problematic for other reasons though. For one, all discogs had to do was add a cap on shipping to stop this fee avoidance. It was seen as a huge ebay style cash grab handed down by the new CEO. A way to clean house as they say.

Also, whether you like to admit it or not - Covid is over. People are leaving the house now and spending their money on other things- like $25 cocktails for example. There isnt as much disposable income out there for records like there were post covid

also the USPS raised shipping this week, forcing sellers to raise shipping. Also VATs went up as well. Governments are implementing changes on taxes as well, forcing small sellers to register and pay their share. Its a perfect storm, not to mention discogs being tone deaf

the discogs website itself has been a poo poo show for years. it is constantly down or very slow. The search is a nightmare, the layout is terrible. It hasnt changed in years, and there is no comms from the company itself, and if there is an issue, it takes months to get resolution

if you go to the discogs forums, you will see nothing but anger and confusion. granted any forum is a hellscape these days but discogs is pretty grim. example:

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1020909

The final thing that needs to be stated about discogs is that the actual databse is all user driven- years and years of work compiling a database- all done for FREE by users.

Discogs found a way to monetize this, and have offered barely anything in return to the people who have essentially made the company millions of dollars, a company that many small businesses depend on for their prices (unfortunately)...

I suggest you visit their forums to learn more. Its a bunch of angry men on there, but you canget a sense of the desperation some people are feeling

i think what will happen is:
1. discogs will be sold to a very large company like livenation, amazon, spotify, or a hedge fund (most likely)
2. discogs will charge a subscription to use their services like search, sales history, collections, wish lists.

The only viable solution here is to gouge people for more money. Vinyl sales are slowing for everyone, there are simply too many new releases out there. companies like vinyl me please are to blame, and its no wonder discogs hired that guy to run them into the ground

there are other things i did not mention that adds to the nightmare that is discogs.. the dreaded "paypal partner fee", or not being able to refund customers, or paypal keeping fees after refunding people. its a huuuge mess over there. they can easily remedy this by communicating

here is a crazy forum thread regarding the fee increases...

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/1008413

finally, it has become the new normal to charge $7-7.50 to ship one record domestically media mail in the USA. USPS raised media mail to $3.90, factor in mailers, and supplies and crap. overseas can be upwards of $25. discogs now takes a cut of that. very scummy move by discogs

Fixed one typo (guage=gouge)

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 17, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Luckily I've had nothing but positive experiences on Discogs lately, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Is there a Discogs alternative out there? Ebay's too full of dumb fucks to trust.

What's wrong with that listing?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

I think I paid 1.99 for my copy of that record.

Edit: eh with shipping in discogs it’s about that now. You could probably find it cheap in the wild though.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nihonniboku posted:

The listing reads it's a UK DJM copy, the label clearly shows it's a US MCA.

For those who are unaware, there's a huge gulf in sound quality between UK Elton John records and US copies (much in the same vein as The Beatles). Great opportunity for scammers to get some cash.