Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:discourse:

EasilyConfused posted:

IIRC the transport plane full of troops going down turned out to be a false report.

Also F-16s aren't exactly stealthy, so I'm not sure they're going to be able to do any significant force projection with them given the massive amounts of anti-air Russia has.

Russia's stock of anti-air munitions has limits, and attrition doctrine means that as long as Ukraine flies sorties over their own pilot-recoverable territory and aren't losing pilots, Russians will burn through their stock faster than it can restock, hastening the eventual air superiority.

Plus, Russia will have to man the AA stations and defend them, making them rather easy targets for mobile artillery strikes. All the manpower in the world doesn't solve a materiel issue.

fatherboxx posted:

russian BMP

Was that looted from the Ukrainian аниме store? Or from a private residence? No way that gets through standard soldier possession channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

XYZAB posted:

Seeing that exploded ordnance view makes me wonder why they couldn't also mount a sidewinder to the tip of the vertical stabilizer just like they do at the tip of each wing.

outside of other practical reasons, the wingtips are on axis laterally/vertically with the center of gravity/lift, tail stab isn't

added/changing amounts of weight and drag is a much bigger issue & would increase the moment of inertia over the tail by a lot, yaw control would be non-existent, stalls would come sooner and rolls or banked turns would be sketchy because there's now a swing-weight opposite the fuselage and it's a lot of weight at 8g

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

outside of other practical reasons, the wingtips are on axis laterally/vertically with the center of gravity/lift, tail stab isn't

added/changing amounts of weight and drag is a much bigger issue & would increase the moment of inertia over the tail by a lot, yaw control would be non-existent, stalls would come sooner and rolls or banked turns would be sketchy because there's now a swing-weight opposite the fuselage and it's a lot of weight at 8g

Why do things like Paveways have stabilizers on the front? Is the weight in the middle in that case?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think attritional warfare will play out in Ukraines favor with aircraft in focus. One thing that has been as surprising to me as Ukraine still having a cohesive and effective air force is that Russia correspondingly failed to get air superiority (let alone supremacy) AND is flying the same low amount of air sorties as Ukraine is. For purposes of my post I am going to conveniently ignore the massive amounts of standoff strikes done from the Caspian and from inside Russian territory because I'm focusing on actual battlefield tactical usage, not failed strategic strikes

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Why do things like Paveways have stabilizers on the front? Is the weight in the middle in that case?

More fins means more accuracy over distance due to less aerodynamic jostling. Ever play kerbal space program? Adding stabilizers to the cone section of a paveway achieves the same effect as putting stabilizer fins on the manned kerbal capsule (aerodynamics, air flow, and reducing drag)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

The fins in front are for steering, I think

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1679612040099373057

:laffo: :lmao: :lol:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

HonorableTB posted:

I don't think attritional warfare will play out in Ukraines favor with aircraft in focus. One thing that has been as surprising to me as Ukraine still having a cohesive and effective air force is that Russia correspondingly failed to get air superiority (let alone supremacy) AND is flying the same low amount of air sorties as Ukraine is. For purposes of my post I am going to conveniently ignore the massive amounts of standoff strikes done from the Caspian and from inside Russian territory because I'm focusing on actual battlefield tactical usage, not failed strategic strikes

Agreed, the RuAF's inability to dominate the skies might be the biggest (and most important) surprise of the war.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

canards allow for higher angles of attack in manuevers before stalling while needing comparatively less surface area and/or material weight compared to having all the control surfaces in the tail/wings, especially in aircraft that have their center of gravity behind their center of lift, like a rocket/missile or a fighter jet - which lets you put weight further back / add more before it's a problem

The concept they work under essentially is that all aircraft steer/create lift through pressure differentials that overcomes the mass of the plane+air pushing in the opposing direction+thrust if applicable, basically like an asymmetrically balanced seesaw that has air making the ends pivot it instead of only gravity

so the easiest place for a flying vehicle to control its trajectory from is the lightest location with the most aerodynamic load furthest from where the thrust is being generated - which is the front in the case of a missile full of fuel

edit: oops or a bomb, no thrust but the longitudinal forces from drag vortices at the tail similarly increase the moment of inertia making it harder to steer from there similarly & afaik the weight is biased towards the back in them for the same reasons but idk

it's kiiind of like having the back tires accelerate and front tires steer in a RWD car with the engine in the back, not quite because it's not mechanical friction, but the general leverage used to rotate something from ahead of its center of mass being part is the same

the downsides are they're difficult to design, increase instability by a lot and increase drag compared to more traditional designs but with computer designed and controlled vehicles that aren't going supersonic and are made to explode thats all w/e

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 14, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

canards allow for higher angles of attack in manuevers before stalling while needing comparatively less surface area and/or material weight compared to having all the control surfaces in the tail/wings, especially in aircraft that have their center of gravity behind their center of lift, like a rocket/missile or a fighter jet - which lets you put weight further back / add more before it's a problem

The concept they work under essentially is that all aircraft steer/create lift through pressure differentials that overcomes the mass of the plane+air pushing in the opposing direction, basically like an asymmetrically balanced seesaw that has air making the ends pivot it instead of only gravity

so the easiest place for a flying vehicle to control its trajectory from is the lightest location with the most aerodynamic load - which is the front in the case of a missile full of fuel

the downsides are they're difficult to design, increase instability by a lot and increase drag compared to more traditional designs but with computer designed and controlled vehicles that aren't going supersonic and are made to explode thats all w/e

True for aircraft. Bombs at least (e: *usually, paveways definitely) aren't glide vehicles/they don't really fly, some of these are guidance kits you can slap onto unguided bombs (that didn't have front fins to begin with). In the case of the Paveway I think the rear fins are totally immobile.

I know the Sidewinder has some control stuff going on in the rear fins, but once you're going Mach Several everything gets weird.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1679640915567075328
They've been able to train drone operators to effectively clear minefields using dropped explosives. This will help.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1679640915567075328
They've been able to train drone operators to effectively clear minefields using dropped explosives. This will help.

It's fascinating that the explosion seems to create an updraft in the process of creating the mushroom cloud. I wasn't aware that ATMs were THAT strong - I'm used to seeing thermobarics and other large hi-ex generate that void of air that creates a vacuum but I didn't think anti-tank mines would do it too. Really fascinating poo poo

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Drone beats minefield, minefield beats MBT, MBT beats drone?

If the Russians know this is how they're clearing mines (and are already keenly aware of drone uses), what can they threaten them with, and what do the Ukrainians need to counter that threat?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tiaz posted:

True for aircraft. Bombs at least (e: *usually, paveways definitely) aren't glide vehicles/they don't really fly, some of these are guidance kits you can slap onto unguided bombs (that didn't have front fins to begin with). In the case of the Paveway I think the rear fins are totally immobile.

I know the Sidewinder has some control stuff going on in the rear fins, but once you're going Mach Several everything gets weird.

oh whoops idk why i started thinking it's a missile, the concepts (except thrust component) are still the same tho once a plane speeds up & drops it
i was just talking about the canards in the front, the fins in the back look like they only extend outward and are stabilizers to keep it from tumbling around the canards mid-maneuver/for airbraking

it'd totally be possible to steer a bomb or something with the same kind of shape/weight entirely from the back but you'd need bigass control surfaces, probably too big to practically package

once something's going significantly past mach 1 control surfaces have to be in the back of a swept/delta wing or in the tail or shockwaves tear things up and mach tuck drives you into the ground, i might be wrong but i don't think there's much supersonic stuff with canards, manned or unmanned. i know the French ninja turtle jet has them, but it looks like it just barely breaks mach 1 at sea level

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I actually just misread the sidewinder question, I thought they were asking if they could be ground launched

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

oh whoops idk why i started thinking it's a missile, the concepts (except thrust component) are still the same tho once a plane speeds up & drops it
i was just talking about the canards in the front, the fins in the back look like they only extend outward and are stabilizers to keep it from tumbling around the canards mid-maneuver/for airbraking

it'd totally be possible to steer a bomb or something with the same kind of shape/weight entirely from the back but you'd need bigass control surfaces, probably too big to practically package

once something's going significantly past mach 1 control surfaces have to be in the back of a swept/delta wing or in the tail or shockwaves tear things up and mach tuck drives you into the ground, i might be wrong but i don't think there's much supersonic stuff with canards, manned or unmanned. i know the French ninja turtle jet has them, but it looks like it just barely breaks mach 1 at sea level

I mean it kinda looks like one! and yeah I don't think that I've seen gravity bombs that are steered from the rear fins. storm shadow (probably (?)) is but it's a cruise missile so it's a (comparatively strange but w/e) conventional aircraft, I imagine the rear surfaces are used for elevator but idk. canards and tail being useful for being far away from the center of gravity/lift is right on

Vaginaface posted:

Drone beats minefield, minefield beats MBT, MBT beats drone?

If the Russians know this is how they're clearing mines (and are already keenly aware of drone uses), what can they threaten them with, and what do the Ukrainians need to counter that threat?

I would guess drone mine-clearing is probably too slow for using in preparation for an actual operation, leaving the mine clearing vehicles that use rockets to launch an explosive line that sets off a hundred meters or whatever's worth. if it takes you an hour or two to clear the obstacle the enemy has time to reinforce the line. Good way to clear mines without risking your EOD personnel though, especially once you control the area.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

This is loving Russian Trump speak, holy poo poo

DIFFICULT QUESTION, BIGGEST QUESTION EVER, SO DIFFICULT

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 14, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

HonorableTB posted:

More fins means more accuracy over distance due to less aerodynamic jostling. Ever play kerbal space program? Adding stabilizers to the cone section of a paveway achieves the same effect as putting stabilizer fins on the manned kerbal capsule (aerodynamics, air flow, and reducing drag)

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Toxic Mental posted:

It keeps the bomb from falling where it shouldn't. If it doesn't fall where it shouldn't then it will definitely fall where it should.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

This is loving Russoan Trump speak, holy poo poo

DIFFICULT QUESTION, BIGGEST QUESTION EVER, SO DIFFICULT

Read it in this voice and style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUlW9IDXOw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget that Paveway's are technically just the kit that goes on, its used to convert non-guided bombs into guided bombs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

It's fascinating that the explosion seems to create an updraft in the process of creating the mushroom cloud

everyone knows that, it lets you pull out your paraglider to get enough height for the second phase of the boss

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

weg posted:

It keeps the bomb from falling where it shouldn't. If it doesn't fall where it shouldn't then it will definitely fall where it should.

The missile knows where it is, and where it should be.

Unlike the missile, Russia does not know where it should be, and so finds itself where it shouldn't be, which is called error. Fortunately Ukraine knows where Russia should be, and knows how to remove Russia from where it is, which is where it shouldnt be.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Don't forget that Paveway's are technically just the kit that goes on, its used to convert non-guided bombs into guided bombs.

You're selling them short

Paveways are kits to convert non-guided bombs from the 1950s into laser guided precision bombs. And the shape of those bombs was designed in the 1940s. It's like John Browning design levels of longevity.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

While all you stupid Westoids chuckle about Lake NATO, I, a serious war understander, realize that NATO will be crushed like a troublesome insect.

https://twitter.com/russophileLs/status/1679491675822104581?s=20

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are they still building more iron bombs then fitting paveways to them, or are they literally still burning through the cold-war stockpile of bombs?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

The Lone Badger posted:

Are they still building more iron bombs then fitting paveways to them, or are they literally still burning through the cold-war stockpile of bombs?

I don't know if any cold war stocks are around but I believe they are still building dumb bombs and fitting guidance kits. I assume this is useful for shipping because you care differently about secret guidance components and not secret bulk explosives.
The even newer Small Diameter Bomb, however, is all one thing afaik, and is never a dumb bomb. I don't think we have any dumb glide bombs.

I was mistaken earlier; the JDAM is a guidance kit that doesn't have front fins at all. Paveway is laser guidance from the aircraft if equipped or people on the ground (and older than the others), JDAM is GPS/inertial, SDB is GPS/inertial.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

beer_war posted:

While all you stupid Westoids chuckle about Lake NATO, I, a serious war understander, realize that NATO will be crushed like a troublesome insect.

beer_war posted:

Oh my god lol

Russia is going to open up 7 fronts at once and encircle...the newest quarter of NATO which is *checks notes* 1/20th of its landmass or less.

Before the rest of a 50 trillion dollar economy
alliance does anything.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

beer_war posted:

Very much one of those "not even living on the same planet" takes. Russia has shown for the past 500+ days that any move like this is laughably outside their abilites. Not only could they not beat NATO, I think they would get crushed. It wouldn't even be close.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ikasuhito posted:

Very much one of those "not even living on the same planet" takes. Russia has shown for the past 500+ days that any move like this is laughably outside their abilites. Not only could they not beat NATO, I think they would get crushed. It wouldn't even be close.

Russia is willing to sacrifice a quarter of a million men because they are clearly winning.

I mean the VDV is at the front so clearly they finally are dedicating their real army to the fight.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It's one of those things that you almost, Almost want them to give it a try, just because you know how badly humbled they would get.

edit. In addition, :lol: at the fact that he acknowledges that air power would be important, and yet thinks that this would in anyway benefit russia

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 14, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They could send the Helsinki police to arrest them all.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

honestly at this point I wouldn't pick Russia against a bunch of armies that are buying equipment from them, let alone NATO

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia is willing to sacrifice a quarter of a million men because they are clearly winning.
I'm too tired and lazy to draft one, so pretend I inserted a sarcastic quote here of credulous tankie drivel earnestly proclaiming how Russia's vaunted "artillery advantage" is achieving them a 10:1 K:D ratio.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay I just watched a Russian guy pull out a Thompson machine gun and really felt astounded. Like lend lease guns? Jesus Christ

I feel weird owning a mosin after all this poo poo Russia has done. I used to think it was a cool Nazi killing gat.

But now meh

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress at this point, I expect Russia to compound bad decisions by saying they need to take the fight to NATO, invade Alaska, make it down to the Yukon and have just like, a dozen pissed off drunk Canadian hunters kill them all.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh my god lol

Russia is going to open up 7 fronts at once and encircle...the newest quarter of NATO which is *checks notes* 1/20th of its landmass or less.

Before the rest of a 50 trillion dollar economy
alliance does anything.

Don’t worry, Russia has plenty of money…

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1679345683566870529?s=20

Whoops, maybe not.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress at this point, I expect Russia to compound bad decisions by saying they need to take the fight to NATO, invade Alaska, make it down to the Yukon and have just like, a dozen pissed off drunk Canadian hunters kill them all.

The VDV gets bogged down by 12 gauge bird shot

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The_Franz posted:

Don’t worry, Russia has plenty of money…

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1679345683566870529?s=20

Whoops, maybe not.

Pretend I spent 300 hours in paint to make this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
scott ritter also loooves hosting douglas macgregor, who has been predicting ukraine's imminent defeat for 500 days and recently claimed that the russians destroyed 9 ukrainiam brigade hqs and killed a thousand officers as well as hundreds of NATO officers in a single night of strikes