Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The BMP-1's gun usually only fired HEAT ammo (HE ammo had to be manually loaded in a cumbersome process), so that makes a certain kind of sense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's been a while since I played but essentially those weapons can't cause "hits" on infantry back you can suppress them into falling back. Or you can do 'suppressing fire' which can cause checks but only on 6s. Either way unless they changed stats I don't think the BMPs were as hamstrung as you thought, I looked at the statline and the weapon profile doesn't have the "#" indicating they can't cause hits on soft targets. Maybe you read it backwards and thought you had to have that icon to engage infantry?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

The BMP-1's gun usually only fired HEAT ammo (HE ammo had to be manually loaded in a cumbersome process), so that makes a certain kind of sense I guess.
For a game with suppression as a core mechanic you absolutely want to represent the reluctance of Pvt. Dipshit to roll the dice on HEAT not hurting him as it sails through his squad's position.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It was my first game so I was mostly going with what I was told, and I was told that and the unit did have a #, maybe it was an odd variant?

Arquinsiel posted:

For a game with suppression as a core mechanic you absolutely want to represent the reluctance of Pvt. Dipshit to roll the dice on HEAT not hurting him as it sails through his squad's position.

I was a soldier, as antiquated as a BMP is I would absolutely never bet my life against a 75mm gun on an armoured vehicle.

Overall it was a fun game I will play again, but I need to really dig into the rules and build my own list next time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

alg posted:

Prepping for Historicon...I am playing in one game of Pickett's Charge to see if I like it. Reading the rules now. Goddamn these are poorly written. I don't know if something is wrong with me but I much prefer a more casual style of writing like Sharp Practice, Saga, or Black Powder. I have read pretty much all the "big battle" rules now and none seem to be easy to pick up except Altar of Freedom and Black Powder.

I really don't like Saga's conversational style but otoh I think somethings wrong with me so it balances out. The explanations and tactical advice would be a good idea of they weren't occasionally just wrong

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I really don't like Saga's conversational style but otoh I think somethings wrong with me so it balances out.

You're not alone. I enjoy playing SAGA, but referencing the rulebook is a pain in the rear end.

It's like most developers don't realize that a player will only read through the rulebook once (if at all) and afterwards just flip through it looking for specific information.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

StashAugustine posted:

I really don't like Saga's conversational style but otoh I think somethings wrong with me so it balances out. The explanations and tactical advice would be a good idea of they weren't occasionally just wrong

For me, I don't have someone to teach me to play most games. My club basically plays Carnage & Glory and a bunch of WWII boat/airplane games. Anything else I need to bring to the club. So I need something that is easy to read to learn to play. A bulleted list of procedures that reference stuff out of order with no index just isn't a great way to do that.

I think I was too harsh in my initial post, its just frustrating to try to learn to play a game from a book, with no real youtube tutorial even.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

The BMP-1 I worked on didn't have the fancy autoloader; it is my understanding that this was pretty typical for export vehicles, and most Soviet BMP-1s dropped the autoloader anyway. As a result, all of the rounds for the main gun were brought to the breech from the racks around the base of the turret with a weird lifting mechanism that I doubt was any faster than just jamming them in by hand.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

alg posted:

For me, I don't have someone to teach me to play most games. My club basically plays Carnage & Glory and a bunch of WWII boat/airplane games. Anything else I need to bring to the club. So I need something that is easy to read to learn to play. A bulleted list of procedures that reference stuff out of order with no index just isn't a great way to do that.

I think I was too harsh in my initial post, its just frustrating to try to learn to play a game from a book, with no real youtube tutorial even.

It's not just you, I've never looked at Pickett's Charge but the guy's other games General D'Armee and O Group were loving slogs to get through. People love those games but they were so mind numbing I think I had one game and now collect dust on my shelf.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cessna posted:

The BMP-1 I worked on didn't have the fancy autoloader; it is my understanding that this was pretty typical for export vehicles, and most Soviet BMP-1s dropped the autoloader anyway. As a result, all of the rounds for the main gun were brought to the breech from the racks around the base of the turret with a weird lifting mechanism that I doubt was any faster than just jamming them in by hand.

I also imagine manual loading would also be safer for your hands; autoloaders give me nightmares

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Endman posted:

I also imagine manual loading would also be safer for your hands; autoloaders give me nightmares

One of the cold war Soviet tanks had the autoloader perilously close to the gunner's crotch.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's an urban myth.

You can see autoloaders working in videos these days. They're miserable machines, but the crotch-grabbing autoloader isn't a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okDotojj58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIMhIGoFP4

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dudes rock

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

I believe Finland was among the nations that stripped them out. They had some very stripped-down BMP-1s, dropping both the auto loader and the Malyutka launcher.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

the Malyutka launcher.

It's hard to describe how crappy that system was.

The missiles were kept in racks at the base of the turret basket and held in with little cargo straps. In order to reload you have to take the missile out and open a little hatch on the top/front of the turret with a lever. You reach your arm out and try to place the missile onto the launcher, then manually plug in the firing solenoids. Then you take a stick and push the fins down into place. There's a little guidance joystick that is on a box that's stowed under the gunner's seat; you pull a lever and it swings down and hangs loosely until you pull it up into place. The lens you look through to see where the missile is going is just garbage.

I can see why they didn't bother with it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The BMP-1 was certainly not as revolutionary as it was in 1981 as it was in 1966. The BMP-1 got some upgrades to rectify some of the problems: the BMP-1P from 1979, developed after the experiences from the Yom Kippur war, replaced the troublesome MCLOS Malyutka with a far more sophisticated SACLOS 9M111 “Fagot” launcher. It’s basically just the infantry ground mount stuck onto the turret. Soldiers in Afghanistan would often strap AGS-17 automatic grenade launchers to the turret to get more anti-personnel firepower, and this was quickly followed by a kit to allow repair depots to fit a proper mount for the AGS-17–though it seems the kit wasn’t really issued since BMP-1Ps with the kit are exceedingly rare. (The other thing done to make the BMP-1 better was to make the BMP-2.)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

grobbendonk posted:

Because the rigging is such a pain the arse to do and the ships are quite delicate I thought having a base to handle the models is essential unless I wanted to be doing repairs forever. I didn't really like the look of 'sea' bases as it never quite looks right to me, so I comprised on clear acrylic ones. I used a couple of different sizes from fluid3d
https://www.fluid3dworkshop.co.uk/basing/stadium

I found them after watching a couple of the miniature realms videos on youtube

Thanks for this. Out of curiosity what size bases did you use for brigs, frigates, etc?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I decided to mount my 1/700 Black Seas 3rd rate British ship on a little sea base:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

I decided to mount my 1/700 Black Seas 3rd rate British ship on a little sea base:

lol that's sick

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Came out real nice.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

that looks really nice

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Thanks for this. Out of curiosity what size bases did you use for brigs, frigates, etc?

I only went for two sizes, 80 x 30 and 100 x 30

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.wargamer.com/warlord-games-sale-to-hornby

Wonder what this will mean

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Vertical integration, more 28mm Airfix tank kits.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I only went for two sizes, 80 x 30 and 100 x 30

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I imagine there will be some bolt action specific themed paint sets from humbrol maybe?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Every acquisition I can think of has been at best no change, predominately accelerating enshittification, and in literally no instance has any aspect of the product or service improved.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Worse service eventually. Dumbing down of the rules, though that might actually make warlords rules better, but they won’t pay for it.

People who love the games will start leaving.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Springfield Fatts posted:

It's not just you, I've never looked at Pickett's Charge but the guy's other games General D'Armee and O Group were loving slogs to get through. People love those games but they were so mind numbing I think I had one game and now collect dust on my shelf.
I did a review of Pickett's Charge for Goonhammer and my biggest complaint against the ruleset was the layout/ordering of information. From my perspective it was rear end-backwards, and while ultimately I think the game is pretty well-done and captures the period very well, it could really have benefitted from a more rigorous and thorough round of layout and editing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I often see "if you use 28mm, be prepared to have a fuckoff huge table" in reviews, which got me thinking... I'm working on some 28mm Napoleonics, against my better judgement, are there any good rulesets I can use that will fit a good game in a 6x4 table? Non-skirmish, that is.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I often see "if you use 28mm, be prepared to have a fuckoff huge table" in reviews, which got me thinking... I'm working on some 28mm Napoleonics, against my better judgement, are there any good rulesets I can use that will fit a good game in a 6x4 table? Non-skirmish, that is.

most rules sets are scale agnostic these days. old sets were like "use this many figs per battalion" but now it's all about # of bases and frontages. if you're willing to use fewer mans, any ruleset will be fine. for ex, it's suggested that 28 mm guys be 4 bases of a 60 mm frontage and 15s on 40x30. if you're okay with 4 guys to a 40 mm wide base and 16 man battalions instead of 24, then it all works out just fine

e: that example is for lasalle

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cessna posted:

That's an urban myth.

You can see autoloaders working in videos these days. They're miserable machines, but the crotch-grabbing autoloader isn't a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okDotojj58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIMhIGoFP4

really? I've heard a historian pass it on, then. Can you explain why it didn't happen, or am I supposed to infer that by looking at the video?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

really? I've heard a historian pass it on, then. Can you explain why it didn't happen, or am I supposed to infer that by looking at the video?

A lot of myths grew up around Soviet stuff during the Cold War when it was all locked away behind the Iron Curtain and no one in the general public had the ability to see it. But these days that's not the case.

As you can see from the videos of a T-64 and T-72, the main Cold War Soviet tanks with autoloaders, that's just not how they work. They're still potentially dangerous machines, and you'd get hurt if you somehow got caught in one, but they aren't aimed at a crewman's crotch.

The idea that an autoloader is placed in a way that it specifically endangers a crewman's crotch is nonsense. Why would anyone, even a Soviet tank designer, do that?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 18, 2023

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
And, fwiw, the main danger comes to the fact they're working somewhat independent of yourself and might surprise you - pretty much every armoured vehicle is going to have parts that can maim you (I say, immediately thinking of the anecdote Chieftain had about how his abrams' ammo stowage door almost broke his wrist). That's the nature of the levels of mechanical force working in most AFVs. Getting slammed in the dick by the breech of a Challenger or Abrams isn't going to be fun either. There's reasons everyone adopts firing procedures that involve clearly yelling what you're doing (and doing it over and over so you keep your fleshy bits away from the bits that can swing at you on reflex)!

Unrelatedly, five-ish years ago I remember I found a Chain of Command expansion which covered sci fi troops (most likely an ersatz 40k) - would anyone happen to have it? I'm coming up blanks on my hunt. Not strictly on topic, I know, but I think anyone who plays Chain of Command is going to be on this thread.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

And, fwiw, the main danger comes to the fact they're working somewhat independent of yourself and might surprise you - pretty much every armoured vehicle is going to have parts that can maim you (I say, immediately thinking of the anecdote Chieftain had about how his abrams' ammo stowage door almost broke his wrist). That's the nature of the levels of mechanical force working in most AFVs. Getting slammed in the dick by the breech of a Challenger or Abrams isn't going to be fun either. There's reasons everyone adopts firing procedures that involve clearly yelling what you're doing (and doing it over and over so you keep your fleshy bits away from the bits that can swing at you on reflex)!

Yes, exactly. AFVs are NOT OSHA compliant.

When I first started on M-60s (back in the Stone Age) one of the first things taught in Tank School was to beware of the Turret Monster. There's a way to pass through between the turret and the driver's station. It's only open/accessible with the turret traversed to the rear, otherwise it's blocked. If you put something in there when it is open, then traverse the turret, the turret motor - which is quite strong, as it is made to slew a multi-ton turret around quickly - will crush it or cut it in half, and yes, this applies to you too. M-1s have this as well, it's just how tanks work.

Is this some sort of flaw? Were there myths and stories told in the USSR about how Western MBTs tore their crews in half? Or was it just something you learn to avoid?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The breech mechanisms on a variety of artillery systems will devour fingers or even entire hands or arms of unwary gunners as well. Training can help mitigate this, but all it takes is a moment of laxity...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If I mix Perry and Victrix 28mm Napoleonics, is there going to be a major issue? I have a ton of Perry but I really like the Victrix.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Beerdeer posted:

If I mix Perry and Victrix 28mm Napoleonics, is there going to be a major issue? I have a ton of Perry but I really like the Victrix.

No issue. They mix pretty well with each other

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fearless posted:

The breech mechanisms on a variety of artillery systems will devour fingers or even entire hands or arms of unwary gunners as well. Training can help mitigate this, but all it takes is a moment of laxity...

Hell, I hosed my hand up bad once changing barrels on a FN MAG, the army is mad dangerous even without folks shooting at ya.

Someone once tried to tell me the T-72 autoloader routinely took loaders arms off and fired them. I think my response was "you don't actually believe that do you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Forgetting for a moment that arms don’t contain any propellant, the idea of a tank shooting the crew’s arms at people is very funny