Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Maintainence of those aircraft is a bitch. I would not be surprised if it was a parts failure causing the crash. Can't import the stuff easily now.

Not to mention I wonder how many of the parts are not in stock and they are making due with substandard replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

SU35 crashed after takeoff in Russia, crashing into an apartment building, killing at least 14.

Huh, where did you see that? Haven't seen that reported myself, which is kind of strange for major stuff like planes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I suspect that an article on the crash in october popped up and was mistaken for new

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Clark and Ding claim another victory with their flashlight :ssh:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mzuri posted:

Oh God I had memory holed that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Always great for morale when your commander advocates for you and the organization responds by firing them.

SECNAV glances around the room sweatily

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mzuri posted:

Best book in the series!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Huh, where did you see that? Haven't seen that reported myself, which is kind of strange for major stuff like planes.

Went back to get a link and didn't realize it was a repost of the October incident. My bad.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
this massicot thread is a good read and covers the widespread sense of 'what the actual gently caress is going on with russian military leadership' from nearly all sides right now. hell, even prominent russian military accounts that were extremely pro-MoD during the wagner mutiny seem very unhappy with how Popov was treated

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1679528294943735808

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Russian hobbits are like "okay we had first (pmc) mutiny, what about second (official armed forces) mutiny?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this massicot thread is a good read and covers the widespread sense of 'what the actual gently caress is going on with russian military leadership' from nearly all sides right now. hell, even prominent russian military accounts that were extremely pro-MoD during the wagner mutiny seem very unhappy with how Popov was treated

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1679528294943735808

What are people who don't have a twitler supposed to do?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1679528294943735808.html

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

in a well actually posted:

How does he like his office at 8th and I?

Hes out and went into wildcat mining.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks but also good God, ad blocker required.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

https://nitter.1d4.us/MassDara/status/1679528294943735808

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Oh poo poo, Nitter is working again? Nice!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/status/1679575829079027712?s=46

Russia is such a bizarre place.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The damage of a coup is not necessarily in the physical damage it does, but in the damage it does to the structures of power. The military is divided and the issues at the front have been laid bare by Prig's mutiny, and the government trying to cover it up is exposing even more cracks in the structure. Prig may have laid the groundwork for the collapse of the Ukraine war by causing the military to split as it has, Russian commanders saying "actually, Prig had a point regarding ammo shortfalls and poor rotation/relief" and getting shitcanned for it is very visible to the troops. Also, removing competent leadership for speaking against the government line means you no longer have that competent leadership directing troops, reducing unit effectiveness.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Always great for morale when your commander advocates for you and the organization responds by firing them.

Worked(*) for the USN and Crozier!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

Worked(*) for the USN and Crozier!

The Trump administration had a lot in common with Putin's.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

The Trump administration had a lot in common with Putin's.

including more than a few bank accounts

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orange juche posted:

The damage of a coup is not necessarily in the physical damage it does, but in the damage it does to the structures of power. The military is divided and the issues at the front have been laid bare by Prig's mutiny, and the government trying to cover it up is exposing even more cracks in the structure. Prig may have laid the groundwork for the collapse of the Ukraine war by causing the military to split as it has, Russian commanders saying "actually, Prig had a point regarding ammo shortfalls and poor rotation/relief" and getting shitcanned for it is very visible to the troops. Also, removing competent leadership for speaking against the government line means you no longer have that competent leadership directing troops, reducing unit effectiveness.

Remembering reading the Iraqi Perspectives Project analysis of the onion ring of military organisations Saddam set up to coup proof his regime.

Putin's Russia still more resembles a medieval court squatting on top of a modern state, but interesting to see if it starts to go down that road.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arrath posted:

Russian hobbits are like "okay we had first (pmc) mutiny, what about second (official armed forces) mutiny?"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ignore it, wait for someone to write something meaningful about it, and infer the original Twitter content.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-submarine-commander-shot-dead-191200876.html

quote:

Stanislav Rzhitsky, the deputy head of the local mobilization department and captain of a Black Sea Fleet submarine, was shot and killed in Russia’s Krasnodar Krai, Russian news agency TASS reported on July 10.

Rzhitsky commanded Oscar II-class nuclear-powered submarine Krasnodar, which was used to launch Kalibr cruise missiles at Ukraine.

Is this the same guy that was shot because he was on Strava?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Madurai posted:

Yes

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Madurai posted:

The Naval tradition of slower advancement than the Army is also in Russia I see.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://geopolitics-decanted.simple...sive-and-wagner

This recent podcast is interesting. It's in two parts - the Kofman/Lee conversation was recorded on the train trip to Kyiv. It's the second part of the podcast. The first part was recorded after the return to the US.

What I found really noteworthy that in this post-Kyiv part, it's the first time I've heard someone with pretty good insight into the military situation sound not just cautious, but rather deflated about the offensive and Kyiv's long term prospects of retaking more territory. Progress is slow, casualties are high, Western ammunition production doesn't ramp up fast enough, and Russia may be recruiting as many as 20,000 fresh mobiks each month to rebuild their army and hold the frontline.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1679893186620141582

20k Mobiks aren't going to be holding a lot of ground when they have 2 guns.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Can't even backfill the shortage of AKs with Mosins & PPSHs, drat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
how the hell can they not supply their people with the most produced weapon in human history?

Yes I know what the answer is but still, this boggles the mind.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Logistics is hard! I'm sure they have literal tons of ammo, but without the trucks and drivers to bring it to the front not much they can do.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember Salon as a moderately useless ostensibly progressive site, but apparently they've gone tankie

https://www.salon.com/2023/07/08/they-lied-about-afghanistan-they-lied-about-iraq-now-theyre-lying-about-ukraine/

Beginning of paragraph 3:

quote:

The Russian invasion of Ukraine was a war crime,

(holds breath)

quote:

although

and then we're off to the races.

quote:

The war will only be solved through negotiations that allow ethnic Russians in Ukraine to have autonomy and Moscow's protection, as well as Ukrainian neutrality, which means the country cannot join NATO.

Who is this cat?

Huh. Oh wait there's more

yeppppppppppppppppppp

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"Russia Today America" is seriously a thing? :what:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It was. You missed a hilarious gnashing of teeth when it died last March after the invasion and there was a piteous screaming of hundreds of grifters suddenly cut loose.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GD_American posted:

I remember Salon as a moderately useless ostensibly progressive site, but apparently they've gone tankie

https://www.salon.com/2023/07/08/they-lied-about-afghanistan-they-lied-about-iraq-now-theyre-lying-about-ukraine/

Beginning of paragraph 3:

(holds breath)

and then we're off to the races.

Who is this cat?

Huh. Oh wait there's more

yeppppppppppppppppppp

paragraph 3? those are rookie numbers, check this out

quote:

OPINION: Let me be crystal clear: Russia is the aggressor, and it is absolutely right that we should stand united to condemn its war crimes in Ukraine.

Needless to say, a strong nation striking against a weaker one to impose its ideology, increase power, or gain control of valuable resources, is nothing new. The US, in particular,

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/127958027/condemn-russia-but-dont-romanticise-war

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

how the hell can they not supply their people with the most produced weapon in human history?

Yes I know what the answer is but still, this boggles the mind.

Because it was sold at US gun shows and fired into old dishwashers in Appalachia and the like since before the genesis of TFR.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Hannibal Rex posted:

This recent podcast is interesting. It's in two parts - the Kofman/Lee conversation was recorded on the train trip to Kyiv. It's the second part of the podcast. The first part was recorded after the return to the US.

What I found really noteworthy that in this post-Kyiv part, it's the first time I've heard someone with pretty good insight into the military situation sound not just cautious, but rather deflated about the offensive and Kyiv's long term prospects of retaking more territory. Progress is slow, casualties are high, Western ammunition production doesn't ramp up fast enough, and Russia may be recruiting as many as 20,000 fresh mobiks each month to rebuild their army and hold the frontline.
Kauffman's taken that tone since the earliest hypothetical talk of Ukraine's counteroffensive. Perun's similarly downplayed getting too hyped about rapid outcomes given the various countervailing forces. I believe it was Perun who also noted that pro-Ukraine folks credulously amplifying Russian social media claims of disastrous Russian defeats might be getting manipulated: while it's fun in the short-term, it leads to longer-term greater doubts if all these breathless takes of defeats don't manifest in tangible gains on the front lines. A more grounded approach might better sustain support and supply over the long-term, but it's hard to tell cheerleaders to tone it down a notch when folks are dealing with the trauma of such heinous, unprovoked aggression.

I kinda wish folks would focus more on demanding tangible policy than celebrating dubious gains. Ukraine needs more arms, more munitions, and, honestly, it might not hurt to start building a consensus behind and capacity for a real Western intervention—should Ukraine ask for it. Western countries should be aggressively advancing their ability to work as a cohesive force and shoring up political support at home against the pervasive rot of decades of Russian influence ops. It's hard to see that happening as it's nigh impossible to shake elites out of a one-step-forward-two-steps-back incrementalism, but still.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Kofman is a more recognizably wise person, but I've never had much faith in Rob Lee. It stems from when the 2022 invasion happened and he was on a podcast where they talked endlessly that it was impossible for Russia to invade, they were just bluffing for Rational Russian Reasons, and besides Russia would win in a few days anyways.

And then the next day the invasion kicked off and they deleted that episode. (It wasn't on the FPRI website, it was some leftie podcast). Weirdly, it was a complete contrast to his actual writings on the topic, so I guess he was influenced by the podcast he was on. But I kinda lost faith since he went on a podcast that couldn't even leave its episode up after being shown to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kchama posted:

Kofman is a more recognizably wise person, but I've never had much faith in Rob Lee. It stems from when the 2022 invasion happened and he was on a podcast where they talked endlessly that it was impossible for Russia to invade, they were just bluffing for Rational Russian Reasons, and besides Russia would win in a few days anyways.

And then the next day the invasion kicked off and they deleted that episode. (It wasn't on the FPRI website, it was some leftie podcast). Weirdly, it was a complete contrast to his actual writings on the topic, so I guess he was influenced by the podcast he was on. But I kinda lost faith since he went on a podcast that couldn't even leave its episode up after being shown to be wrong.
Definitely dumb that they took it down, but variations of that really were the broad consensus at the time. It didn't make sense that Russia would invade (no one understood the degree to which Putin had separated himself from reality and it seemed likely that he could achieve some extent of destabilization of the Ukrainian government and economy just by posturing) and, though folks were aware of the systemic corruption that kept Russia from living up to its strongman image, there was little understanding that it had left the Russian military so hobbled.