Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember how insanely powerful the dragon's breath was the weekend it came out. Not because it's stats were that insane, byr because everyone was running it and it does insane damage to people that were just hit with it, which almost everyone was all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, did the Pyro contract stuff today. Dragon's fury is weird but kind of fun and unique enough to have a niche.

I noticed there's a cool laser pistol alt for Scout and Engi, but that looks like it costs actual money/significant trade value going by the market place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Face When an update brings folks back to this excellent game to toast swiftly

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yep

still TF2

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

One has simply got to move that gear up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
apparently i liquidated my inventory at some point, or i was hacked, not sure which but either way i have no alternate weapons at all, which is unfortunate. are those still random drops or do i have to do bullshit to unlock those now?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Thumbtacks posted:

apparently i liquidated my inventory at some point, or i was hacked, not sure which but either way i have no alternate weapons at all, which is unfortunate. are those still random drops or do i have to do bullshit to unlock those now?

They're still random drops. A handful are also unlocked by achievements, but that's a guaranteed way to get a few specific (and untradeable) weapons, rather than a main method.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Thumbtacks posted:

Random drops, then use scrap.tf to get the ones you need.

Also hats, a lot are really low in trade value

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Thumbtacks posted:

A couple bucks on a trading site will get you every base weapon in the game with enough leftover for a couple hats

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There’s some dumb fun to be had making the best look you can using only the cheapest bargain bin cosmetics. I’m gonna be rocking my WW1 Medic and sombrero/poncho/armadillo Engie the end of time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Tipped Lid is still one of my favorite all class items because of how versatile it can be, though admittedly I don't use it as much as I used to

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there anything useful I can do with old crates that only sell for like 3 cents on the marketplace? Doesn't look like I can liquidate them for scrap on scrap.tf and it feels like it's gonna be a real pain to post them to the marketplace to only get 1 cent back.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

came back to this game because i heard it reached its playercount peak

the game's design and graphics are still timeless

sadly its programming and my aim are not

did the bot problem ever get fixed? was pleasantly surprised to not run into one but i haven't been playing for very long

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

did the bot problem ever get fixed?
Yes*

*Valve has hired on some freelance programmers to apply various bugfixes and such, and that includes pushing back against the bots, but there's no way to say for sure how long that will be the case.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sounds like a great time to get back into the game then!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Is there anything useful I can do with old crates that only sell for like 3 cents on the marketplace? Doesn't look like I can liquidate them for scrap on scrap.tf and it feels like it's gonna be a real pain to post them to the marketplace to only get 1 cent back.

Scrap.tf has an incinerator bot, which does what it sounds like - anything dumped into it gets deleted. Otherwise, yeah - 1 penny a crate if and when they sell. Good luck

EDIT: to anyone who wants the "new" weapons, the best bet is to plop down $2.50 to buy a Key from the MannCo store, then sell that key for refined metal (scrap.tf offers 80 refined metal per key, other sites/players may offer more) and then buy weapons for scrap-metal from scrap.tf bots. You'll have probably 60-70 refined metal left afterwards, and can now buy some hats, too!

Just whatever you do, don't buy weapons directly from the MannCo store. Unless you like getting ripped off.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 14, 2023

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

used to play Cashworks like 10 years ago. good for that guy

The original few versions of that map where amazing, I might actually fire up TF2 again and see what version of it made it to the game after all these years.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is it still impossible to see that your friend is playing the game, join their match, and then join the opposing team to kill them?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Otacon posted:

Scrap.tf has an incinerator bot, which does what it sounds like - anything dumped into it gets deleted. Otherwise, yeah - 1 penny a crate if and when they sell. Good luck

EDIT: to anyone who wants the "new" weapons, the best bet is to plop down $2.50 to buy a Key from the MannCo store, then sell that key for refined metal (scrap.tf offers 80 refined metal per key, other sites/players may offer more) and then buy weapons for scrap-metal from scrap.tf bots. You'll have probably 60-70 refined metal left afterwards, and can now buy some hats, too!

Just whatever you do, don't buy weapons directly from the MannCo store. Unless you like getting ripped off.

If you already have a premium account (have spent at least $5 in the store or bought a retail copy before it was F2P) then you can save anywhere from 10 to 40 cents buying that key on the Steam marketplace.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

is it still impossible to see that your friend is playing the game, join their match, and then join the opposing team to kill them?

If they're in matchmaking, yes. If they're in a public server (which still exist thank god), no.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This is the most meaningless possible complaint, but I hate the way that cosmetics with alternate styles are now simply called 'Style 1' or 'Style 2' unless the item contributor specified otherwise. A bit like the long abandoned hat descriptions it just indicates that Vale is completely on auto-pilot when it comes to these updates and don't even add a smidgen of the character they used to.

Jeez, I remember like 10 years ago they had a hat describing contest for hats at the time without them and we got some fun descriptions out of that, just do that again and give people a community hat or something as a reward, the community would trip over itself to partake and Valve could do what it does best in doing as little work as humanly possible while relying on the user created content to keep things going.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you already have a premium account (have spent at least $5 in the store or bought a retail copy before it was F2P) then you can save anywhere from 10 to 40 cents buying that key on the Steam marketplace.

Absolutely, I honestly forgot entirely about the market - yes, absolutely. I just watched the feed for keys and saw a bunch going for $2.18.

For anyone who forgot, 1 refined metal = 3 reclaimed metal = 9 scrap metal. You can typically buy 2 standard tradable weapons per scrap, so 18 weapons per refined metal. As a key is worth over 80 refined, you should get pretty decent mileage out of a $2 "investment" in terms of being able to buy some cheap hats and cosmetics along with every weapon you're missing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

So was this the large small update that was promised?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It would be very weird if it weren't

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Otacon posted:

Absolutely, I honestly forgot entirely about the market - yes, absolutely. I just watched the feed for keys and saw a bunch going for $2.18.

For anyone who forgot, 1 refined metal = 3 reclaimed metal = 9 scrap metal. You can typically buy 2 standard tradable weapons per scrap, so 18 weapons per refined metal. As a key is worth over 80 refined, you should get pretty decent mileage out of a $2 "investment" in terms of being able to buy some cheap hats and cosmetics along with every weapon you're missing.
Or you could buy your weapons directly from Valve, at 1$ each (minimum). Which is totally not predatory.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Xander77 posted:

Or you could buy your weapons directly from Valve, at 1$ each (minimum). Which is totally not predatory.

Untradeable weapons, that if used in crafting will make whatever you craft untradeable as well.

Otacon posted:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I'd like it if this wasn't teeny but I guess just click on it!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh poo poo, I bet John Lowrie was in the studio to record Saxton Hale voicelines for VSH mode!!!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man you can tell this game has been out for a long rear end time i am getting my poo poo kicked in by EVERYONE. i'm rusty and everyone has been playing for a decade

also i fed the game $2.50 for the contract pass thing because it's good to have objectives. you guys said to use the marketplace instead of the mannco store, where's the marketplace?

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 15, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

man you can tell this game has been out for a long rear end time i am getting my poo poo kicked in by EVERYONE. i'm rusty and everyone has been playing for a decade

also i fed the game $2.50 for the contract pass thing because it's good to have objectives. you guys said to use the marketplace instead of the mannco store, where's the marketplace?

the steam marketplace lets you buy stuff from other players instead of valve. it's in steam, under the community menu. they don't let you sell basic weapons there as far as I know but the mannco store is so overpriced that buying a strange or a killstreak weapon is usually cheaper than actually buying the basic version from the mannco store.

still not worth it if you just want the base version though, easier to just wait for it to drop or if you're impatient you can use scrap.tf or just like, ask someone if they'll give it to you for a scrap because someone on any given server will have like 20 copies of it lying around

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Thumbtacks posted:

Trust me, there are plenty of noobs

I met a medic that didn't know vaccinator could swap, not to mention every pyro running past burning teammates.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That just reminds me, imagine if the Backburner never got its air blast back.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Zamujasa posted:

tbh i still treat it like that, even more so with new airblast :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zamujasa posted:

And also still gave +50 HP and gave you full crits on all targets if even one poor gamer's back was in your fire

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dieting Hippo posted:

Wait, new airblast? oh no

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Zamujasa posted:

Wait, new airblast? oh no

It's no longer an unconditional stunlock in the same direction every time. You have to aim it. Aim straight down to blast people up into the air... for some reason.

Dieting Hippo posted:

As a person whose most developed strange weapon is the backburner, I treat the airblast cost as a reminder to not try to pick straight-up 1v1s. If you're using your airblast defensively, you already hosed up and need to disengage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh yeah what's up with strange weapons? i keep seeing people with special looking ones that have like stat tracking or random suffixes and stuff

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thumbtacks posted:

oh yeah what's up with strange weapons? i keep seeing people with special looking ones that have like stat tracking or random suffixes and stuff

Strange weapons track stats. They default to just kills, but there are additional parts for things like headshots and extinguishes and stuff. As they get more kills, their prefix changes.

There's also killstreak kits, which track kills per life.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is that just a random chance when something drops or do you ahve to add something to an existing weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Thumbtacks posted:

is that just a random chance when something drops or do you ahve to add something to an existing weapon?

You can either get a strange weapon randomly from opening a crate, or using a Strangifier to make an existing weapon strange. Stat Clocks work like Strangifiers, they'll add a stat to an existing strange weapon (like crit kills, kills while airborne, headshots) and you can have up to 3 additional stats on a strange weapon.