Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

RIP free AU on Citi Executive card.

Also:

So what's the point of Clear now?

lmao good gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/07/12/tsa-airport-screening-clear-checkpoints/

There was a "security breach" last summer, and this is the fallout from that. My speculation is that someone who shouldn't have been able to enroll somehow did—maybe a No Fly List candidate.

Earlier this year, they had to update biometrics for many members.

https://www.biometricupdate.com/202301/clear-must-re-enroll-48k-members-after-its-found-they-werent-biometrically-checked

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'm flying to Asia (from the US) at the end of this month and I need to bring a suit with me. This will be the first time I've ever flown with one. Aside from the suit, the rest of my luggage will easily fit in a carry-on bag. Is there a goon-recommended practice here? Should I just roll it up in my duffel and have my hotel press it when I get there? I do have a garment insert for my big suitcase but that would require checking luggage and I'd love to avoid that if possible.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

lavaca posted:

I'm flying to Asia (from the US) at the end of this month and I need to bring a suit with me. This will be the first time I've ever flown with one. Aside from the suit, the rest of my luggage will easily fit in a carry-on bag. Is there a goon-recommended practice here? Should I just roll it up in my duffel and have my hotel press it when I get there? I do have a garment insert for my big suitcase but that would require checking luggage and I'd love to avoid that if possible.

You can fold a suit jacket and avoid the garment bag — lot of videos out there on it, but basically the only real “trick” is folding the sleeves in on each other and getting the padding (at least big padded shoulders are out of style…) lined up just right. Pack it as late as possible / take it out immediately upon arrival, maybe hang it up in the bathroom with a steamy shower on and you’ll be fine.

When I was younger / less experienced, I dragged along the garment bag as an ‘extra’ personal item and never got poo poo for it but that was maybe 2x a year for a wedding.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Also, every business class international hotel I've been in has an iron available so you can just give it a quick ironing when you arrive if th steam shower trick doesn't work.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Packing your suit in your luggage is asking for it to get lost by Turkish airlines while on your way to Manila for a wedding. I just carry a garment bag as a personal item when going to a wedding now.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Packing your suit in your luggage is asking for it to get lost by Turkish airlines while on your way to Manila for a wedding. I just carry a garment bag as a personal item when going to a wedding now.

I've debated taking Turkish the long way around to Manila for the suspiciously cheap business class fare. How long did it take them to get you your bag? How was it otherwise?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

I've debated taking Turkish the long way around to Manila for the suspiciously cheap business class fare. How long did it take them to get you your bag? How was it otherwise?

I went ARN-IST-HKG on a suspiciously cheap business class fare, and then took Cathay Pacific HKG-MNL because I wanted to hang out in Hong Kong for a week instead of Manila. It took them 6 days to get it to me since it was corralled in a huge lost luggage area in Istanbul.

I had gotten a suit made to measure a year before in HK, and basically went to the same place and said “hey can you turn around a suit in 24 hrs with the same measurements you ja” which they did for a price. Finding size 13 dress shoes was a lot harder tho and a local goon helped me quest to find them.

They finally got the bag to HK but I was already in Manila by the time, so they sent it to the airport and I had to sit in horrendous traffic an extra time just to pick it up since they needed
me to clear it through customs.

So yeah, wedding clothes go carryon for me now.

Good experience otherwise on their lie flatbut this was like 10 years ago. Oh yeah they loaded a 777 through air stairs which was dumb

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This discussion reminds me of when I went to a wedding in Melbourne and carefully fit my suit in my carry-on and then Emirates made me check it because it was over 25 lbs. Still spicy about that.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Getting PTSD flashbacks from what Etihad made me check my carry-on because it past their stupid 8kg limit, predictably losing it, and then me showing up in Singapore with absolutely no clothes.

Then they gave us $50 SGD at the airport and I was a moron (forgive me, I was young) to take the cash which meant I could not get reimbursed for any clothing purchases. That is such an incredibly predatory practice by airlines.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Flew SFO-RDU today for work for the first time in aaaagees, TripActions shows my last work trip in September. I gate-checked my rollaboard because I've got a back issue that makes lifting it in the overhead not so fun. Unfortunately it was a "check to your final destination" deal, which i'm like, direct flight, how bad could it be? I'll just wait like an extra 10 min, no biggie. Plus if they lose it I have an airtag in it and also a change of clothes in my backpack because, see above, i'm paranoid as gently caress now.

Welp, RDU ground ops managed to take 45 mins to get an A320 full of luggage to the carousel.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It was sunny and calm all day so you gotta give them a break.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I flew a southwest flight after 3 months of charters and it was actually okay.

The FBO poo poo is just funny though. Different problems but still just as frustrating.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

i fly airplanes posted:

Getting PTSD flashbacks from what Etihad made me check my carry-on because it past their stupid 8kg limit, predictably losing it, and then me showing up in Singapore with absolutely no clothes.

Then they gave us $50 SGD at the airport and I was a moron (forgive me, I was young) to take the cash which meant I could not get reimbursed for any clothing purchases. That is such an incredibly predatory practice by airlines.

8kg?!? My backpack is probably twice that.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Flew SFO-RDU today for work for the first time in aaaagees, TripActions shows my last work trip in September. I gate-checked my rollaboard because I've got a back issue that makes lifting it in the overhead not so fun. Unfortunately it was a "check to your final destination" deal, which i'm like, direct flight, how bad could it be? I'll just wait like an extra 10 min, no biggie. Plus if they lose it I have an airtag in it and also a change of clothes in my backpack because, see above, i'm paranoid as gently caress now.

Welp, RDU ground ops managed to take 45 mins to get an A320 full of luggage to the carousel.

Sounds about right for them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SpeedFreek posted:

8kg?!? My backpack is probably twice that.

Emirates is actually 7 kg (15 lbs) for economy carry-on which I assume they don’t enforce ever.

Premium economy gets 10 kg (22 lbs) for… reasons.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I started the day in 11D on a flight from DFW-MCO and I was #4 on the upgrade list with 4 seats available in F. Just prior to boarding, I was upgraded to 1A, boarded the plane, got situated, then the app told me my new seat was 11C. A gate agent came on and told me that someone else had paid for the seat (?!) and the check mark was removed from my name on the waitlist and the app said I was no longer in F.

I went back to 11C. A woman told me I was in her seat, and a FA looked at her ticket (that said also said 11C), but checked her device and told her she was mistaken and she was in 24B (still an exit row).

The plane fills and the last passenger on now tells me I’m in her seat. No notification on the app, but the FA asks me to check it and sure enough, I’m going up to 3C.

No complaints, I got home on time, I didn’t pitch a fit, just gave them the sad eyes and I got to ride up front, but jeez AA, what are you doing? I also didn’t know I could board with a valid boarding pass and they could then just say screw it, get outta here and we gave your seat to someone else. Like, I guess the minimum I’d expect is to tell the guy that showed up out of nowhere at the last minute that we’ve already boarded and that first class is already full. He wasn’t wearing an airline uniform, because I believe they’ll bump people for crew. I’ve heard stories of airlines turning away people or sticking them wherever they’ll fit if they don’t believe they’ll make the flight, but actually show up. This was a first in my ~10 years of frequent flying.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There’s something funny about seeing a pilot running in to pay a $53.90 landing fee on a diversion.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I wasn't sure of a better group to ask. I'm taking a flight with a buddy and his kids. Well he misspelt his kids name, and now we're trying to get it corrected before we fly.
Its going from Addion to Addison, direct book from United.com. It is international travel, from USA to Japan. Is it typical for this to be a charged change? At first they were looking at $450, but then after talking to them they brought it down to $200 to change the name on the flight. I have premier silver member status.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

deong posted:

I wasn't sure of a better group to ask. I'm taking a flight with a buddy and his kids. Well he misspelt his kids name, and now we're trying to get it corrected before we fly.
Its going from Addion to Addison, direct book from United.com. It is international travel, from USA to Japan. Is it typical for this to be a charged change? At first they were looking at $450, but then after talking to them they brought it down to $200 to change the name on the flight. I have premier silver member status.

Minor name changes/name corrections should be free or low fee. $450 or $200 both sound incorrect—fare difference is not collectible, and these fees are usually not negotiable as the fees should be pretty clearly communicated.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

i fly airplanes posted:

Minor name changes/name corrections should be free or low fee. $450 or $200 both sound incorrect—fare difference is not collectible, and these fees are usually not negotiable as the fees should be pretty clearly communicated.

That was my thought.
They fixed it at the airport luggage check, didn't seem that the phone assistant even made the said change. We'll have to check if the charge went through, or if we can refund.

Thanks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any recommendations for a small pill case? Mostly for allergy pills + vitamins. I'd like something a bit nicer than a Zip-Loc.

It would ideally fit into my dopp kit which is already on the smaller side.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

movax posted:

Any recommendations for a small pill case? Mostly for allergy pills + vitamins. I'd like something a bit nicer than a Zip-Loc.

It would ideally fit into my dopp kit which is already on the smaller side.

I like this one - smallest one I could find when I was looking. The locking feature is a little obnoxious, but means it is really unlikely to spill out in a bag. May not fit larger vitamin pills though....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G3SXYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

quote:

2x Small Hard Fishing Tackle Box Portable Case Hooks Lure Baits Storage Box Containers For Storing Swivels Jigs Hooks Sinker,10 Compartments (Black) https://a.co/d/5X8kAjH

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I use a small advil bottle and just mix em all up

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This but a small Altoids tin. I have 4 pills and they're distinctive in color and shape/size.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I should say this is what I used to do until I got pills that are very critical to know whether I have taken them for the day or not.

Plus with a tiny bottle then every pill gets coated in dust of the other pills, so you get a nice sampling of all the meds at the same time.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ROJO posted:

Yeah I should say this is what I used to do until I got pills that are very critical to know whether I have taken them for the day or not.

Plus with a tiny bottle then every pill gets coated in dust of the other pills, so you get a nice sampling of all the meds at the same time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweet -- thanks! A small bottle barely fits into the wash pouch as-is... maybe I really am just better off with a Zip-loc but I'll try out the small tin idea.

Next thought question...my Rimowa showed up with a defective lock that now has gotten to the point where I can't actually use the case as I have to use a tool to pry open one of the latches. They are of course happy to fix this for me but I need to pay for the shipping to them... which irks me as a $1000+ suitcase's latch should work out of the loving box. At the same time, I can't return it and really just want to use it again... I can afford the shipping but I'm debating how much to politely push back on the (assumedly powerless) CS rep -- already asked once and got a "no".

Just suck it up and deal with it? Nearest store is Vancouver (I'm in Seattle) so in-person doesn't really work for me. Going to Chicago next week and they don't appear to have anything in that area either (kind of surprising).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ROJO posted:

Oh yeah this is for like, melatonin, advil, some antihistamines, Imodium, stool softener and other OTC type poo poo. I’d be a lot more disciplined if I had to take prescription drugs on a schedule.

The latter can be viewed as a feature.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

movax posted:

Just suck it up and deal with it? Nearest store is Vancouver (I'm in Seattle) so in-person doesn't really work for me. Going to Chicago next week and they don't appear to have anything in that area either (kind of surprising).

Do you need an actual corporate run store, or can they work with a department store concession or such? I'd wager Niemann Marcus or Nordstrom or one of them has something with Rimowa, and Chicago has all of them. If it'll work I can't tell you.

But man that's annoying.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

Sometimes local luggage shops can help. I have one out in the burbs here in Milwaukee that handles my B&R bag and they have relationships with other big manufacturers like Tumi and Rimowa. They can try repairs and will box it up and send it off for you if needed. Worth a look in your area.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My rollaboard I got from a kickstarter is on its last legs and I need to get a new one. My wife is doing most of my luggage schlepping right now and has declared it must be a 4 wheel version to be easy to navigate with her 4 wheel.

What’s the goon recommended carryon bag with 4 wheels?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

if you can swing the price: https://www.briggs-riley.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/essential-carry-on-spinner

it will never be "on its last legs" bc they have a lifetime warranty. i've had mine for almost as long as i've been working

e: fixed malformed url

taco show fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 7, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah do what that guy said

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Nth-ing the B&R spinner. My wife has one, we have the larger checked size for longer trips, and my B&R carryon is approaching drinking age. They're good.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I have a hard-sided B&R four wheeler and love it. Sometimes you can find them in the "used" section of Amazon which basically means there was some box damage or whatever and save a good chunk of the retail price.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Do you need an actual corporate run store, or can they work with a department store concession or such? I'd wager Niemann Marcus or Nordstrom or one of them has something with Rimowa, and Chicago has all of them. If it'll work I can't tell you.

But man that's annoying.

I pinged them on this plus reiterated my point that I should not have to pay to RMA a product that showed up at my doorstep defective... will let you know what they say. I might be irked enough if they still deny it to push on corporate to just take the suitcase back in its entirety and never touch that brand again.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Also chiming in for the B&R Spinner crew. Got one last year and have really liked it so far - my only complaint is that I am a little disappointed in how well the ratcheting expansion features 'holds' - I feel like it pops back open a little too easily sometimes. But overall really like it - makes me sad when I have to use my old, larger spinner for checked luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I heard about a service like this in Europe or maybe SE Asia sometime in the last year

Basically they pick up your luggage at your house and then deliver it to your (international) destination hotel, so all you travel with is a lightweight carry on with your laptop, wallet and passport

What is this service called, and do they service the bay area