Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tired Moritz posted:

if Akihiko is such a protein head, why is he slimmer than 15 yr old Kanji?!

Cause he's loving cut, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never even noticed this till now somehow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like a lot of the persona characters started to get more flanderized the more spin off games they were in

I think Chie, Akihiko and Teddie get the worst of it. Like offhand I don't think the rest of the P3 cast get anything as bad (other than Fuuka joining in in the cooking = bad?), and it was good to see more actual Shinjiro content. But at the same time, P3 hasn't been in as many ensemble spin-offs.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I never even noticed this till now somehow.

pikmin fuuka

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe it's just lighting

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Chie, Akihiko and Teddie get the worst of it. Like offhand I don't think the rest of the P3 cast get anything as bad (other than Fuuka joining in in the cooking = bad?), and it was good to see more actual Shinjiro content. But at the same time, P3 hasn't been in as many ensemble spin-offs.

Fuuka starts off being bad at cooking in P3 and through her S. Link she eventually improves. The Q games usually take place mid-journey for each game, so they aren't characters who have fully completed their arcs, IIRC.

I think Yukiko is great in the Q games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Neeksy posted:

Fuuka starts off being bad at cooking in P3 and through her S. Link she eventually improves. The Q games usually take place mid-journey for each game, so they aren't characters who have fully completed their arcs, IIRC.

That's only on the female side though, right? In the male side she just gives up on that completely and goes into tech.

I do like the Q games (a shame Q2 never got dubbed but Q1 was the much better game anyway), they just needed to tone down a bit on PROTEIN/MEAT.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Teddy gets flanderized by the second half of p4

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd prefer if he'd have got Muade Flanderized

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neeksy posted:

Yeah, in Q1 at least they lean into Yukiko's fascination with weird horror so she's constantly trolling Chie in the hospital dungeon.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yukiko as a troll was one of the aspects i liked most about her even in P4 vanilla, even though it seems she mostly learned that ability as a way to deflect.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Got my Persona 4 vinyl today from iam8bit, after ordering it in December 2021.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Futaba's VA Ericka Lindbeck got ran off Twitter because she asked people not support a cover song somebody made with AI using her voice and AI bros flipped out, so that's nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excuse me but you don't actually have any right to complain when we literally steal your voice and use it as our own, because we are literally sea witches from a loving children's movie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
VA's generally need to keep an open channel with their fans to make a living as well so this doubly sucks

every inch of the machine-learning craze needs to die

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s funny, I thought those AI president shitposts would have expedited regulations on AI voice tech by a lot. It’s amazing how entitled people are regardless, if you use tech to emulate someone voice with any degree of accuracy and said person says “hey please don’t do that it creeps me out and genuinely makes me fear for my livelihood” then the proper response is kinda obvious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the AI fad is basically the last gasp of the entire tech sector, which has been wildly jumping from scam to scam as the subsidy money runs out. they need this to sink its hooks into other industries regardless of collateral damage

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don’t see it going away.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the AI fad is basically the last gasp of the entire tech sector, which has been wildly jumping from scam to scam as the subsidy money runs out. they need this to sink its hooks into other industries regardless of collateral damage

So true. OpenAI just launched GPT4 but the general public’s use of ChatGPT is down 10% in the last month because hey guess what it’s just a sophisticated auto-complete and the novelty wears off quick if you’re inquisitive enough to poke it for its limitations.

But the bell’s been rung, and unlike NFT/crypto, there are genuine applications for this stuff so like it or not it’s going to stick around. All that’s left is the corporate bloodbath and watching to see what the survivors manage.

P5R chat:

I’ve been playing this game with my GF since September of last year. We finally got to the final segment of the base game. I have some thoughts.

gently caress you forcing us into Mementos.
I’m glad that the actual palace portion was blessedly straightforward since I think the dungeons in this are 80/20 bad to just decent. First palace remains the highlight imho.

The boss fights, as well, are pretty poo poo by and large. I much preferred the minibosses since they actually threatened to pose a challenge and were logical tests of your mechanics comprehension. The two worst were the robots and Futaba’s, no doubt about it.

I didn’t like the way it all twisted so hard in the eleventh hour. It was cool conceptually, but it did not in any way earn the twist.

We’re sitting just before the second attempt on the grail but we’d stayed up quite late getting to it in the first place so we’re gonna wrap that soon.

I really hope the Royal stuff is better as people have said, because this game needed to be 120 hours shorter. So much filler. So much time wasting. Truthfully I was burnt out and would have been happy to stop, but my gf loves the game and since it’s her first JRPG and since I’m trying to be better about finishing games in general I decided to stick it out.

The game has so many great parts, but they’re separated by vast oceans of repetitive mediocrity. I don’t mean to totally piss all over the game I don’t think it’s the worst thing ever, but for a game that started as well as it did, drat did it ever just sputter. Again, I really hope the Royal content does something to improve my impressions.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The 3rd semester in Royal starts off really tight and engaging then kinda shits the bed with an unnecessarily stretched out section of padding before it gets good again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It sounds like the day to day stuff just really isn't your thing? Because that takes up like 70% or so of that 120 hours.

SMT might be closer to what you're looking for if you like the general concept of the game but not the daily life stuff. Or you can try Persona 2, that has the core of the battle system without a lot of the day to day parts, so it's more like a standard JRPG.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know how you can say P5 is 120 hours too long unless you hated literally every second of it, considering my do-everything, talk-to-every-NPC-whenever-their-dialogue-updates run was about that long

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Arist posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know how you can say P5 is 120 hours too long unless you hated literally every second of it, considering my do-everything, talk-to-every-NPC-whenever-their-dialogue-updates run was about that long

As of the last save the clock was sitting at an even 200h. Hard to know how much of that was playing with fusions, leaving the game idling, etc etc. Also like I said it’s my gf’s first RPG, hell first serious video game other than a couple VNs I showed her cause she loves mysteries

ApplesandOranges posted:

It sounds like the day to day stuff just really isn't your thing? Because that takes up like 70% or so of that 120 hours.

SMT might be closer to what you're looking for if you like the general concept of the game but not the daily life stuff. Or you can try Persona 2, that has the core of the battle system without a lot of the day to day parts, so it's more like a standard JRPG.

Oh no I love the day to day stuff. Itt’s not the form, but execution I object to. So many repeated conversations, so many unnecessary menus/prompts confirming poo poo, so much repeated exposition, so much hamfisted belaboring of character arcs, etc etc. Also, a lot of the confidantes were pretty good, but the ones that aren’t just aren’t, and I’m probably feeling especially sour on the game since those are the only ones left to max.

I love SMT. I’m gonna try to sell her on SMTV, but not sure if she’ll dig it just cause you know, there’s Persona people who just won’t be into the philosophical, lonely, sparse feel.

I don’t mean to harsh anyone’s love for the game or anything. I think it does a lot of things really well. The crew, even though they’re just stock archetypes, are a lot of fun. Honestly, they’re the biggest draw for me even if the way their arcs resolve doesn’t feel too good. But moment to moment when they’re just interacting it’s awesome. And I include a lot of the supporting cast in there as well.

I only tend to criticize things that I liked but didn’t love because the parts that detract disappoint me when I can imagine ways it could have been improved. So you know I’m not saying it’s a bad game, but that its particular weaknesses galled me particularly, if that makes sense.

It’s worth playing just to watch my gf get pumped though. :)

And the final stretch of the base game here definitely got me interested again. It’s just that looking back over all that time, well, it’s hard to remember the good parts and easy to remember the bits that bugged me.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New P5X update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llilGNrGoZU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

unattended spaghetti posted:

I love SMT. I’m gonna try to sell her on SMTV, but not sure if she’ll dig it just cause you know, there’s Persona people who just won’t be into the philosophical, lonely, sparse feel.

As a "Persona people" I can tell you right now that SMT could as well be a completely different franchise in terms of taste. I find them incredibly boring since they are so mechanical-oriented.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

As a "Persona people" I can tell you right now that SMT could as well be a completely different franchise in terms of taste. I find them incredibly boring since they are so mechanical-oriented.

Yeah this is what I think will end up being her take on it too but it’s worth a shot.

I only played a little bit into SMTV right after it came out, so I didn’t get a chance to see, but how much plot/cutscenes/character stuff is there compared to Nocturne? I def wouldn’t try to get her into Nocturne because that one is way too light on plot for what she’d like. But I got the impression that there was definitely a lot more in V.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Devil Survivor could be a good in-between. There's a decent chunk of plot but also generally less downtime between missions compared to a modern Persona game.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Yukiko as a troll was one of the aspects i liked most about her even in P4 vanilla, even though it seems she mostly learned that ability as a way to deflect.

I feel like they slowly worked her into a sort of on the surface demure girl with a hidden psychotic streak personality kind of like Haru in P5, though that could just be her gag interactions with Teddy more than anything.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Devil Survivor could be a good in-between. There's a decent chunk of plot but also generally less downtime between missions compared to a modern Persona game.

I played the first game and I remember getting stuck for days on the Belial boss fight where you have an extremely limited amount of time to save that rocker goth girl character and him just doing rear end gently caress tons of hard to mitigate damage with lots of reinforcements. I had to gradually whittle that down and take some gambles after a poo poo ton of grinding and respecing of my team to focus on Ice Dance abilities only for Haru (not the same one mentioned above) or whatever her name was to die anyway cause I screwed up part of her recruitment achievement. Deceptively challenging game honestly where even more than usually either you or the enemy tends to die really loving fast. It was mainly that IMO kind of overtuned Fire of Sodom passive ability he had going off every loving turn and hitting the whole party including the NPC you had to protect for bonkers damage at the start of every turn. Like easily the hardest boss in the whole game for me by a lot. Up until that point the game had been pretty challenging, but not like holy loving poo poo his scenario is hard as loving balls and I need to grind for hours just to get into a position where I feel like I have a fighting chance hard.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 9, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Psychotic is not a word I'd use to describe Yukiko. Haru for sure, but trolling Chie is literally the meanest thing of which Yukiko is capable, even though the boys of the Investigation Team deserve so much worse. I'd say her closest analogue is Yusuke, someone who is a bit standoffish on the surface but has the biggest heart when the chips come down.

and SMTV has more plot than the older entries, I suppose, but I wouldn't reccomend it to someone if you already know Nocturne is too light for them

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's better than turning her into 'oh no I can't cook' like they did with Arena.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/07/persona-5-tactica-details-ryuji-sakamoto-ann-takamaki-toshiro-kasukabe-and-battle-system

Huge new info dump on that Persona 5 Tactica game. Unsurprisingly the main antagonist is named Marie who runs an oppressive self serving regime and brainwashes everyone but Joker as the pretense to likely have them be re-recruited over time again. Apparently one of the new characters is the would be next PM of Japan after Shido flubbed out as well so yeah politics is going to be a theme again I imagine.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Too funny not to share.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kind of crazy how people just don't seem to be having Persona 5 Tactica like at all. I do tend to figure they are making a big miscalculation on the artstyle as a big part of it no matter what they end up coming out with gameplay/story wise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It seems like it might be a fun SRPG but it does feel like too much Persona 5 at this point insofar as it could have just been Devil Survivor 3.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It looks like it was originally designed as a mobile game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh yeah is that Chinese mobile p5 game out

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh yeah is that Chinese mobile p5 game out

No not yet. It is about to have its second beta test this year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want Persona 6, or even better, Persona Arena 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ann what happened to your spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

I said come in! posted:

I just want Persona 6, or even better, Persona Arena 2.

Yes please, especially if the writing is as good. Labrys’s story is probably the best writing in all of the franchise.