Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

checkplease posted:

Mishima, the film, is a great film visually, musically, and of course the direction. I’ve never read any of his work but will be interested to know if it enhances it more. The Mishima, as portrayed by he film to me, seems kind of masculinity obsessed and conservative. Is his writing like this?

I’ve only read The Temple of the Golden Pavilion but by the time I had read three or four chapters I thought, “Okay I get why Paul Schrader made a movie about this guy.” The book itself lines up with what you see in the film, though that adaptation is highly condensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

checkplease posted:

Mishima, the film, is a great film visually, musically, and of course the direction. I’ve never read any of his work but will be interested to know if it enhances it more. The Mishima, as portrayed by he film to me, seems kind of masculinity obsessed and conservative. Is his writing like this?

He founded a private anticommunist militia and led a failed monarchist coup, it's safe to say that his writing is "conservative", yes.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Mission Impossible III (2006)
Now this is more like it. Great, tense, opening scene with the king Philip Seymour Hoffman, followed by a proper rescue mission, very Splinter Cell. Shame they killed off Keri Russell's character so early, but at least we some more of her in flashbacks.

The Vatican City infiltration was great, it felt like a multiplayer Hitman level, and I love the way they cleanly switched between Hoffman and Cruise wearing each other's faces. Having now seen that Shanghai roof abseil/jump I can see how it must have inspired the Dark Knight.

I really liked the look of this film, with some good long shots in the action sequences. and I also think they handled Ethan's personal life really well and glad the 'killing off the wife' was a fakeout.

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (2011)
After the great use of a villain in PSH, I was never quite sure who was the ultimate bad guy in this one, like No Time To Die the focus seemed to be more on the IMF family rather than the villain. But the corridor scent and the entire Burj Khalifa sequence were fantastic, annoyed I never saw that in IMAX.

The whole satellite sequence was a bit silly, are we to believe that the US would not have detected an intercontinental nuclear missile launch and taken retaliatory measures? Stopping it just in time felt a bit too convenient.

It annoyed me that they'd off screen fridged Ethan's wife, so I was glad they avoided that trope at the end.

And I'm guessing BMW paid handsomely for their cars to be featured, as I doubt they sell one capable of surviving 100ft vertical drops.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2023

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Asteroid City (2023) I thought it was fun and cute but the layers and layers of artifice really stunted any emotional reaction I might have had. Maybe I just need to think about it more, but even though the dead wife stuff in Royal Tenenbaums was like a C plot it had far more emotional resonance than anything similar in Asteroid City

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Joy Ride (2023)

This was tonight's Cineworld 'Secret Screening' (and Odeon's I believe). Very fun, and funny film - the trailers were pretty accurate in portraying the tone of the film. What with this and No Hard Feelings I'm feeling like the sex/gross out comedy is back (surprisingly graphic in one particular part).

And after seeing Return to Seoul a couple of months ago, this is now the second film where an American adoptee of East Asian descent goes to her country of birth to find her mother, except (big spoilers) in this case she's of Chinese descent until nope, she's also of Korean descent! Nice cameo from Daniel Dae-Kim, in a touching scene at the end..

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Blackberry it was pretty fun watching Glen Howerton rage at nerds and yell at them to get to work. Good to see his skills on the big screen finally. Jay Burachel was great also and the film did a great job in selling how it all fell apart (arrogance really) for them. This is the first time I have seen a film by Mathew Johnson. He’s got this interesting style that can switch between intimate and voyeuristic. I’ll have to check out more of him in the future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

checkplease posted:

Yes, but in a far more interesting and nuanced way than the two part reduction of Masculine and Conservative. He was a nerdy style child, more liable to enmeshment in literature than to bask in the sunlight. But he grew dissatisfied with that lifestyle and threw himself mercilessly into physical improvement, lifting weights and running. He found a second lifestyle in the hardening and sharpening of his form, but his knowledge of philosophy, eastern and western developed within him a sort of phobia of decay; of the body, of the state, of the physical world itself. For Mishima the act of living should be entirely subsumed within a single desire to a higher purpose, every sinew and fiber of ones being, asking for example if an action was logical or would benefit anyone at all was incoherent to him. The act itself was the meaning; beauty requires transience, tragedy is beautiful, to act is beautiful, to die is beautiful.

He's one of the greatest authors I've ever read, I'd easily top five him with the likes of Nabokov and Flaubert; both useful comparison points, he wrote a lot of more or less nonsense, but especailly in his more meaningful works he always maintained the same le mot juste as Flaubert, his prose is seamless, haunting, comic, and always beautiful.

Sound of Waves I've often heard as a good jumping on point, Life for Sale is clearly a work made to pay the bills but is still hilarious; a man decides he's had enough of being alive and rather than kill himself decides to sell his life to anyone that will have him, in doing so he ends up setting up a situation that will see him embedded withing criminal cabals, foiling soviet plots at the embassy, in a sadomasochist relationship with a vampire, seeking texts of rare japanese beetles, the novel is an absolute romp of pulp cliches interposed with, personally, insane philosophical takes; it's a great time.

Of course he wrote that to help fund his tetrology, his magnum opus, The Sea of Fertility, the work that days after sending in the manuscript he set off on his suicide mission. The four novels chart the history of Japan's history in the twentieth century, from 1912 to the 1970's. The first novel is a terrifyingly tragic romance between an indolent young aristocrat and a young noblewoman whom he comes to love too late, told through the viewpoint of his best friend Honda, a lower class kid whose dedication to German jurisprudence and Foreign philosophy presage the path Japan will follow in the coming century. I would not want to write too much on the work given how much of it's substance is in the telling, but in general the work shows the most clear eyed vision of decay and destruction of society, humanity, and the soul that's ever been put to paper. Much has been said regarding the supposed rushed nature of the Final Novel in the cycle, and not all are wrong. Its ending however is undeniable in its haunting powers, to stab into the mind and force your thoughts always towards its devastating implications; doubly so when you realize they were the last words Mishima ever wrote, his last testament.

My Man Godfrey Powell is great as always, Lombard is alright but her character is written absolutely hysterical. Gail's character was more interesting to me personally, and the plot itself was hokey as hell. I don't think the solutions to any social ill's barring lack of access to cocaine are solved by the creation of a night club for instance. Still an alright time I suppose, can't hate Powell.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes, but in a far more interesting and nuanced way than the two part reduction of Masculine and Conservative….
lots of good Mishima stuff….

Thanks for the thorough elaboration. I’ll have to check out some of those. Definitely sounds like an interesting read.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

checkplease posted:

Blackberry it was pretty fun watching Glen Howerton rage at nerds and yell at them to get to work. Good to see his skills on the big screen finally. Jay Burachel was great also and the film did a great job in selling how it all fell apart (arrogance really) for them. This is the first time I have seen a film by Mathew Johnson. He’s got this interesting style that can switch between intimate and voyeuristic. I’ll have to check out more of him in the future.
I was most surprised by the camerawork, it's not extravagant, but it also isn't purely functional. It at once meshes with all the other elements of the film while knowing when to punctuate moments for effect, Johnson seems to have a really good handle on the style

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Boogie Nights - Was crazy into the music and vibe of the first half of the movie, absolutely loved the downfall into the 80s, but at some point the movie kinda lost cohesion for me and the ending just kinda happened and didn't really hit. I am a sucker for dark tragedies about the end of eras, though, so I can't knock it too hard. The mixtape scene owned. I wish I liked the last fourth-or-so of the movie more but I thoroughly enjoyed how much the movie hated Ronald Reagan and his policies that destroyed lives. Interesting stuff; might have to finally watch There Will Be Blood or Magnolia some time.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Peter Pan (2003) - Jason Isaacs is fantastic in this. He's got some real acting range on display. The children were not terrible. Jeremy Sumpter as Peter really captures the narcissistic impishness of the character.
The older I get, the more the story seems like a horror/thriller about that childhood friend everyone has who callously manipulates and ruins people's lives for their own amusement, and it takes you way too long to realize you're better off without them, and then they come back 20 years later to steal your children. Tale as old as time, really.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

but at some point the movie kinda lost cohesion for me and the ending just kinda happened and didn't really hit...
...might have to finally watch There Will Be Blood or Magnolia some time.

They're worth watching but fair warning that PT Anderson definitely has a style, and part of that is "the story just kinda ends"

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. My wife and I absolutely loved it. Fantastic acting, effects, even costumes. I look forward to watching it again.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
just watched How To Blow Up A Pipeline and my reaction is loving hell yeah

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Boogie Nights - Was crazy into the music and vibe of the first half of the movie, absolutely loved the downfall into the 80s, but at some point the movie kinda lost cohesion for me and the ending just kinda happened and didn't really hit. I am a sucker for dark tragedies about the end of eras, though, so I can't knock it too hard. The mixtape scene owned. I wish I liked the last fourth-or-so of the movie more but I thoroughly enjoyed how much the movie hated Ronald Reagan and his policies that destroyed lives. Interesting stuff; might have to finally watch There Will Be Blood or Magnolia some time.

Magnolia is one where I can talk about it at length and will for no reason. Such a good film

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Speaking of Magnolia, I saw in HMV a 2023 reissue of it, though I can't find any information about it online.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)
Saw a 35mm print of the 3 hour cut at the Prince Charles, which was also my first time seeing it, and I really enjoyed it. Amazing cinematography (such rich blue skies) and an iconic score, though I immediately noticed all the musical cues Tarantino has borrowed. Felt it dragged a little near the end with the Union camp bit, though it did lead to blowing up that bridge with a kick rear end explosion.

The Master (2012)
I've only ever watched this once and on Netflix before, so instead of going around a museum I just had to watch a 70mm print this afternoon, again at the Prince Charles, Got a lot more out of it this time, and just loved every scene where Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman were sat down talking to each other. Great supports too, from a very well cast Jesse Plemons, to Amy Adam's cynical wife, to true believer Laura Dern.

And yeah, I shed a few tears when PSH sings that song to Freddie during their final scene together.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Been on the road a lot recently, so lots of time to see stuff that I missed.

Quiet Place 2 - everyone in this movie is too good for what this movie pretends it wants to be doing. Hounsou in particular deserves way better. The opener, the water sprinkler showdown in the foundry, and the dock ambush were the best parts.

John Wick 4 - can't remember the last time I felt so bored watching an action movie. All the sequences drag on so so long, the movie is too up its own rear end with the lore, and they have very clearly slowed down the fight choreo because Keanu is old (a badass but still old). They were smart to end it the way they did.

Puss in Boots: Last Wish - pretty good, easy to see why Tumblr went crazy for this. Like a lot of recent movies it suffers from an inability to pick one ending and stick with it.

Across the Spiderverse - amazing film, firing on all cylinders, simultaneously builds on everything that was good in the first one while also surprising the hell out of you. I hope they figure out how to not slowly kill a bunch of vfx people as they wrap up the next one.

Underwater - decent B flick, probably needed to lean in more to the Cthulhu stuff. TJ Miller did not get written out fast enough.

D&D: Honor Among Thieves - very entertaining, feels like there's a better cut that keeps things to a tight 90 minute runtime but as it is very solid.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The French Connection: Really happy I finally saw this! The subway car chase scene is all that it's cracked up to be. I like how it undermines its own heroes, even the end what happens, they get one person for four years? I'm not sure if the movie wants us to think that's a huge issue, or it's trying to show how over the top the cops are, I'll have to think on it more, but my first take is that this is undermining the dirty harry cop character even before it became part of the lexicon. I also didn't realize how much I missed watching movies actually shot on location and not in Vancouver or a backlot pretending to be New York. The city is a character here, and I loved it. The score is amazing, it is very different than a lot of more conventional films, but really brings it, the sound mixing was a bit rough at times, I had to put subtitles on a few times, but overall the sound was a huge quality boost for the movie.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

Peter Pan (2003) - Jason Isaacs is fantastic in this. He's got some real acting range on display. The children were not terrible. Jeremy Sumpter as Peter really captures the narcissistic impishness of the character.
The older I get, the more the story seems like a horror/thriller about that childhood friend everyone has who callously manipulates and ruins people's lives for their own amusement, and it takes you way too long to realize you're better off without them, and then they come back 20 years later to steal your children. Tale as old as time, really.
Dumb story about this film, I was second or third in line for one of Wendy's brothers. In that timeline you would have written 'the children were mostly not terrible' : P

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Nimona is fantastic and you shouldn't sleep on it (which would admittedly be easy to do as it looks like one of a dozen animated films on Netflix). Seriously, watch it - despite a character's occasional forays into a touch of lolrandum comedy it's a really fun romp for the whole family.

On the service it's a perfectly well-realised adventure and has a distinctive and beautiful animation style.

It's also extremely Gay, with an amazing Trans allegory running through it and directly looks you in the eyes and tells you that it's not enough to fight individuals, but rather inequitable power structures need to be directly opposed.

In a kid-appropriate movie.

It has fuckin' layers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Blackberry was a fun, if somewhat odd movie. It follows the regular beats you’d expect, except it never dips into anyone’s life outside of work. Are any of these people married, or have any relationships outside of their job? Who cares! This is about the blackberry god dammit!

I’ll have to look it up but I find it hard to believe they never used China to build any devices before the Storm, that just seems impossible.

Glenn howardron was great, and Jay is always good. Would recommend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silence 11/10 The fact that Scorsese can make this and Wolf of Wallstreet is an amazing testament to his skills. I don't know who was running that year but Garfield not winning best actor is a failing on the part of the academy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
garfield was actually nominated for best actor that year but for hacksaw ridge (casey affleck won with denzel being silently pissed off)

some people gripe about garfield being the lead (for silence) while adam driver was right there, but I remember him doing good in that movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I’ll have to look it up but I find it hard to believe they never used China to build any devices before the Storm, that just seems impossible.

It's true. To protect the IP of the BlackBerry OS, for the longest time RIM did all their manufacturing in Mexico.

Similarly, Microsoft built a factory in Guadalajara, Mexico, to manufacture the first Xbox so they could just run semi trucks back and forth instead of having to wait on overseas shipping.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Johnny mnemonic (black and white) this feels like it was meant for black and white. The shadows add to the grime of the city, the contrast just highlights the heroes and villains further. It also helps with the goofy cgi at times.
Overall this remains a fun cyberpunk with young Keanu, ice T, takeshi kitano and the yakuza, evil corps, a murderous cyborg priest (dolph lundgren), and a hacker dolphin.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Long Good Friday Movie comes out a lot better than something newer like Layer Cake because it manages to keep itself serious its whole runtime instead of keeping one toe in joke 'em up land, even then Britain itself, and especially in the seventies is such a joke it's hard not to find Hoskins' gangsters as less violent criminals and more annoying children desperately trying to be sat at the adult's table: America, Germany, Real Countries etc. His speech at the end about Britain looking for real culture and guts is possibly the most pathetic breakup scene I've ever seen put to film. Hoskins and Mirren are doing a great job, some of the character actors are all right but zero standouts. The score is very odd, it works but it always feels like it shouldn't. All in all a good, not great time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)

An experiment in denying you context and fully immersing you in grinding mundanity, but that made the moments where the cracks opened up in the main character's facade really impactful and there was always something to consider about what was going on so I never found myself bored. Don't expect to watch too many movies like this one, but it was a compelling experience filled with moments that keep returning to my thoughts.

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

Basically the opposite movie from my other watch. Glamorously beautiful people in lovingly-rendered over-the-top action scenes at a breakneck pace stopping only to briefly set up the stakes, remind you of the stakes, or re-remind you of the stakes in case you'd forgotten. A fun time, glad I saw it in a theater.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

britishbornandbread posted:

Just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. My wife and I absolutely loved it. Fantastic acting, effects, even costumes. I look forward to watching it again.

I tried showing it to my roommate and he made it about halfway (to the reveal of the everything bagel) and started fidgeting and paused it and was like "WHAT THE gently caress THIS IS LIKE THREE HOURS LONG" and stomped off.

Last time I try showing him anything, he didn't even get to raccacoonie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I pretty much watch movies by myself these days or sometimes with my wife when our interests align. I find it more enjoyable to focus on the film and not worry about someone’s reactions.

Though it is of course fun to watch dumb stuff with friends and some beers still.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Data Graham posted:

I tried showing it to my roommate and he made it about halfway (to the reveal of the everything bagel) and started fidgeting and paused it and was like "WHAT THE gently caress THIS IS LIKE THREE HOURS LONG" and stomped off.

Last time I try showing him anything, he didn't even get to raccacoonie
And it's only 2 hours and 20 minutes lol. these days that's like... average

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning PT. 1
Cruise atlas like carrying the blockbuster on his shoulders. Aside from Ilsa's lesser role in the plot, something I find sad given how much I love her in the last two, and the lack of Cavill I honestly say I like it more than Fallout, something I didn't expect going in. Now part of that is that I find AI as intractable problem that needs to be shot in the loving head more interesting than intelligence crime cults, but even ignoring that the train sequence and Venice canals sequences are masterclass in tension and action. And it got some drat good jokes in, although nothing as funny as every second Cavill was on screen in Fallout.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Inland Empire This feels like a blank check of sorts for David Lynch. It’s low budget, but he had the backing to film this without a formal script, get the actors he wanted, and shoot it over 2 years with a handheld camera whenever he thought of a scene. And it works and feels like a nightmare of love and death. It’s also a star vehicle for Laura Dern who crushes it playing several different people or versions of that person suffering all kinds of unknown traumas (and some great monologues). 

The first hour (after the weird women to set the scene) is almost a straightforward making of a film and an affair that occurs. But once Laura Dern walks through the weird door to travel through time and space into the actual movie story it seems, then things start getting proper weird. There seems to be a cycle of abuse to women either physically assaulted by men or just used by them (the prostitutes). There’s the specter of death and ending of dreams with Laura stabbed and dying on the streets for movie reality to end, but then a confrontation with the new reality abuser. A second chance as she shoots her abuser and seems to free a girl and face herself once more?

There’s lots to think about as there’s so many powerful images. And what an ending with a Nina Simone’s Sinnerman dance, a money, a lumberjack sawing, a one leg lady, and Laura Dern looking into the light almost like Laura Palmer.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

John Wick 4 - +1 on this movie being way too long. I was ready for it to be over an hour before it was finally done.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ad Astra - There is not enough story here to carry an entire feature film; feels like something that started off as a pitch for a Black Mirror episode but then got reworked/expanded upon until it was a suitable vehicle for Pitt. Speaking of - Pitt is bad in this thing, bad enough I found myself questioning if/when he stopped being a good actor. Hope Liv Tyler and Ruth Negga got big checks for their respective "woman who is only in the movie to further the male protagonist's journey" roles.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 15, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Badlands — man that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gassenhauer theme sure gets around a lot. I was like "whoa it's the True Romance theme" and my roommate was like "hey are you watching Finding Forrester?"

I can see why it's worth knowing this one though; the languid and laconic acting that makes you think both stars are either developmentally disabled or on drugs the whole time feels like the kind of choice I remember encountering in short stories from 90s anthologies where characters react to murder or death with mild disinterest at best, sun beating on them through a broken window while they live in an abandoned house with a dead body slowly rotting next to them. You wonder how people this passive, and yet with such a rock-in-a-pond effect on the world they sleepwalk through, can coexist in the same world where people shriek and shout and kung-fu-fight their way through their everyday interactions. Makes me think above all else that there are infinity vastly different ways to interpret the pace and agency of the world around us and our own effect on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My Own Private Idaho — I'm not sure what I expected from this but it sure wasn't this baffling Shakespeare pastiche spliced into the middle of a faltering and hesitant gay-relationship story prefiguring Brokeback Mountain and Call Me By Your Name where across the board there's always some uncomfortable hedging aspect about the characters in play that makes their relationship not really what it seems to be.

quote:

The campfire scene, originally just three pages,[20] was expanded by Phoenix into an eight-page scene in which Mike professes his love for Scott, thereby making the character's homosexuality obvious, as opposed to Van Sant's more ambiguous original version. Phoenix described his process as his "own stream-of-consciousness, and this just happened to be one that was more than actor notes. Then Keanu and I refined it, worked on it, but it was all done quickly. It was something I wrote down a night, two nights, before, and then I showed it to Keanu and Gus. And Gus kept the whole thing. He didn't pare it down. It's a long scene."

That sure tracks, that scene felt as stylistically digressive as the whole Shakespeare thing did. And for me it had kind of the opposite effect on the sincerity of the movie that it maybe was meant to — like how in Victor/Victoria, there's this scene toward the end where King sneaks into Julie Andrews' apartment and spies on her in the bathroom and discovers that she's actually a woman, which means his later confession that he loves her even if she is a man — "I'm not a man" "I still don't care" — come off as cowardly and zero-stakes compared to if he'd actually taken that leap without knowing. I've always wondered whether that bathroom scene had been tacked on late in production or something when the studio got cold feet, but I've never been able to find out for sure. Ultimately it just makes it seem all the starker how such compromised stories are still the best we can hope for in "icons of LGBT+ cinema"

e: it was quite fun hearing Keanu Reeves doing the Shakespeare lines which fit in eerily well with the "loquacious SoCal surfer dude, most excellent" persona that he'd all but pioneered in Bill & Ted and was in the process of being iterated on by Wayne’s World

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 15, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Barbarian: I need brain bleach. This may not be the worst movie I've ever seen, but I can't think of any I liked less right now. I don't understand how this got a 78 on metacritic. The one bright spot in the whole movie is that the police are completely useless. An argument could be made that it's strong anti-rapist message is something Hollywood desperately needed to provide, but the movie constantly flirts with redeeming the rapist, so I'm not counting that as a positive.

The "twist" if you can call it that, centers around the man in the first half of the movie. But both the character's supposed backstory and actions are so completely incoherent they could have made him a literal alien and it would only have improved the plot.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Bourne Supremacy I'll give the franchise this, it is remarkably consistent. The third in the series gives you everything that you could possibly want from a Bourne film, exotic locations shot in the harshest and least interesting ways, constant shaky cam to disorient and confuse the action, moments of great action intercut with boring as poo poo office politics and meaning less allusions to secret programs and operations. The returns have diminished completely though, the scene in the airport where he guides the journalist and the car flip towards the end are great. The rest of the action is overlong and under impactful, for example did the Morroco chase need to be so long and how did that man hang with Bourne that long despite just being some random agent. Why are we once again getting the exact same plot of a suit trying to kill Bourne to cover up his crimes and then getting got because of it. The series needed more ideas and some new voices in the mix because this poo poo was pretty boring.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Karate Kid - Seen this a dozen times, but never noticed that the first person Daniel fights in the tournament has a swastika on his uniform. I wonder if anyone considered this in relation to Mr. Miagi's backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Insignificance (1985) camera in this is horny as hell making the audience uncomfortably complicit in objectifying The Actress. Everyone acting out due to ingrained trauma doesn’t make it any easier to see a woman get hit so hard she suffers a miscarriage . Actually the entire film is fixated on violence against women even though it’s ostensibly about three other people as well, though I will say the big atom bomb scene at the end is very arresting. Hans Zimmer did some of the music for this and it is very odd, very herbie Hancock inspired. I need to watch some more Roeg, I’ve only seen this and Walkabout.