Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

diablo 4 is bad lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Amnomia posted:

diablo 4 is bad lol

Okay, but how many hours have you played? we only allow opinions from people with 300+ hours averaging 12 hours/day.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah. Came back from a short vacation yesterday and got a weapon upgrade. Joined a group doing "high NMD's" on the Sanctuary discord. We did a 93 and kept wiping to a Frozen elite (VFX are bugged and you die before the orbs even appear on screen) and wraiths. Group mostly broke apart but the leader and I reformed and we attempted a 100 Guulrahn Canals that I had crafted.

Figured I was about outta excuses to go for the tier100 solo and was able to run it back. Played super cautious and slow, but it was worth.

Best part is I didn't have to redo my scuffed paragon board, lol.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
d3 rules, cry about it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They call it Diablo 4 and yet it's the fifth game and you fight Diablo for the fourth time in the first game to have no number

Checkmate

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

They made this whole lucky hit thing to "normalize" proc chance across abilities and their first seasonal thing they just abandon it? Or did the tooltip writer not get the lucky hit memo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

d3 rules, cry about it

Hell yeah. D4 is ok. Check back in a year, an expansion and a couple seasons for a final verdict.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Not for nothing, but this campaign is actually pretty well written, and I wasn't really expecting that.
Stark contrast to the nonsense that was D3's campaign.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins posted:

"How could anyone have liked Diablo 3!??!?!?!"

I'm amazed how many times people are going to roll in with the scalding hot take of "Actually D3 was bad at Vanilla launch" when everyone who praises D3 is specifically talking about after RoS. Do you think Diablo 2 discussion centers around pre-LoD or... ? When people talk about PoE they mean the beta?

TBH, for me, there are only 2 Diablos. The first one and it's sequel Diablo the 4th. 2 was OK, and 3 was godawful at just about every point.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

M. Night Skymall posted:

They made this whole lucky hit thing to "normalize" proc chance across abilities and their first seasonal thing they just abandon it? Or did the tooltip writer not get the lucky hit memo.

There are already "after x attacks, the next attack overpowers" effects in the game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Can I like D2(r), D3, and D4 at the same time?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can only do D1 speedruns to feel anything so I can't comment.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

Yes

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mustached Demon posted:

actually you need to enjoy the exact things I enjoy or else your opinion is invalid and accuse you of being mad

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
You guys...enjoy things?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can someone smarter than me that understands the Item Power mechanics understand which of these rings I should use? Based on how I thought I understood discussion here and on a few different Discords that I am in that have D4 channels, I would think I should go with the higher item power, but the one with lower item power has higher rolls (for the affixes I care about (lol resistances right now)) so I'm confused.

As you can see, Doom Source has 1% higher Vuln damage and Physical Damage, but it has the lower item power. I see it has lower intrinsic resistance affixes (the ones that cannot be re-rolled) but overall I think its better. Therefore I'm confused if I should ignore what I think and use the one that has the higher item power?

Somewhat related: If I go with Doom Source I'd probably re-roll Fortify Generation to fish for something better; if I go with Defiant Ring I'll definitely re-roll Maximum Fury. I'd hope to replace either mentioned affix with Crit Chance (which is on the ring I'll be dropping for whichever of these).

edit: Also, I understand that I'm level 80 and we're less than one week away from S1 so I'm splitting hairs at this point... I'm mainly trying to understand the mechanics better.

edit2: Also also I just realized I should probably just use both rings and hope I get crit chance on both - the Vuln Damage and Physical damage are both better than what I currently have, the only loss (unless I get lucky with re-rolls) would be crit chance.

edit3: they really need to loving speed up and fix these goddamned injured adventurer events

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 14, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can someone smarter than me that understands the Item Power mechanics understand which of these rings I should use? Based on how I thought I understood discussion here and on a few different Discords that I am in that have D4 channels, I would think I should go with the higher item power, but the one with lower item power has higher rolls (for the affixes I care about (lol resistances right now)) so I'm confused.

As you can see, Doom Source has 1% higher Vuln damage and Physical Damage, but it has the lower item power. I see it has lower intrinsic resistance affixes (the ones that cannot be re-rolled) but overall I think its better. Therefore I'm confused if I should ignore what I think and use the one that has the higher item power?

Somewhat related: If I go with Doom Source I'd probably re-roll Damage to Stunned Enemies to fish for something better; if I go with Defiant Ring I'll definitely re-roll Maximum Fury. I'd hope to replace either mentioned affix with Crit Chance (which is on the ring I'll be dropping for whichever of these).

edit: Also, I understand that I'm level 80 and we're less than one week away from S1 so I'm splitting hairs at this point... I'm mainly trying to understand the mechanics better.

Neither of those have critical chance (and no crit damage) so they both are going into the trash pretty soon.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Somewhat related: If I go with Doom Source I'd probably re-roll Fortify Generation to fish for something better; if I go with Defiant Ring I'll definitely re-roll Maximum Fury. I'd hope to replace either mentioned affix with Crit Chance (which is on the ring I'll be dropping for whichever of these).

edit2: Also also I just realized I should probably just use both rings and hope I get crit chance on both - the Vuln Damage and Physical damage are both better than what I currently have, the only loss (unless I get lucky with re-rolls) would be crit chance.

both of those rings are bad, but if you must use one, use the one with higher vuln, and reroll something else to crit or crit damage

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the higher item power ring is better for hota and ww builds, the lower item power ring is better for double swing or upheaval builds. that said, those rings are more or less interchangeable in viability and you'll end up replacing them fairly quickly

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

satanic splash-back posted:

Neither of those have critical chance (and no crit damage) so they both are going into the trash pretty soon.
I said like three times in my post I would be re-rolling for Crit Chance.

Martian Manfucker posted:

both of those rings are bad, but if you must use one, use the one with higher vuln, and reroll something else to crit or crit damage
Care to elaborate since I specifically said I'm trying to learn and understand the game better?

Tonetta posted:

the higher item power ring is better for hota and ww builds, the lower item power ring is better for double swing or upheaval builds. that said, those rings are more or less interchangeable in viability and you'll end up replacing them fairly quickly
Replacing them with what (other than crit chance, which I have established I know I want on rings)?

edit: Looking back at the notes I took based on that one really useful post someone did:
-rings: missing more than 1 of vuln damage, crit damage, crit chance? Trash
They're both missing both Crit Chance and Crit Damage so I'm guessing that is why they're bad.

edit2: I saw the big Vuln Damage numbers along with Phys Damage numbers and thought I had something good

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 14, 2023

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Replacing them with what (other than crit chance, which I have established I know I want on rings)?

rings that have two or more decent rolls of vuln/crit/crit chance/resource gen/ lucky hit if ur into lucky hit/max fury if hota or on magnum opus.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

I said like three times in my post I would be re-rolling for Crit Chance.

Care to elaborate since I specifically said I'm trying to learn and understand the game better?

edit: Looking back at the notes I took based on that one really useful post someone did:
-rings: missing more than 1 of vuln damage, crit damage, crit chance? Trash
They're both missing both Crit Chance and Crit Damage so I'm guessing that is why they're bad.

edit2: I saw the big Vuln Damage numbers along with Phys Damage numbers and thought I had something good

You want crit chance, crit damage, and vulnerable damage. If you are missing more than one of those then it’s insta vendor.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Ilvl doesn't really matter for jewelry. At least once it's 725 anyway. It matters for weapons a lot cause damage keeps going up and for slots that give armor they'll have more but the roll ranges will be the same.

Most important is having the right stats.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Something like this, say, is pretty decent as rings go. Just need to find it in the first place. (Had it drop earlier and got lucky at the occultist to boot. :shobon:)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Well this answers the question about the lost armor gems

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1679621380080295998/photo/1

i'm sure a high tier brutal heart will be able to make up for the lost armor

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

life rolls scale to item power, but we're talking a ~200 max range from 725 to 823(?)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doomykins posted:

"How could anyone have liked Diablo 3!??!?!?!"

I'm amazed how many times people are going to roll in with the scalding hot take of "Actually D3 was bad at Vanilla launch" when everyone who praises D3 is specifically talking about after RoS. Do you think Diablo 2 discussion centers around pre-LoD or... ? When people talk about PoE they mean the beta?

Well yeah Diablo 3 was bad a launch therefore 10 years later we have to accept that nothing can be learned from it and all other games also have to be bad at launch, it's just the way it is there was no way to know that uniques would mostly be terrible or that half the skills are useless it's impossible because Diablo 3 had a rainbow in it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't been following this thread, but wanted to pop by and say that I've put a million hours into this game from the betas to now and it's just so enjoyable to play.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for the additional replies/info! I got lucky and got decent Crit Chance on both of those rings which makes them vastly superior to my current rings, and I'm flush with upgrade materials so I went ahead and upgraded them and put them on.

MMAgCh posted:

Something like this, say, is pretty decent as rings go. Just need to find it in the first place. (Had it drop earlier and got lucky at the occultist to boot. :shobon:)

Ugh yeah I would kill for something like that. I've been watching for a while once I realized that the rings I had were not the best.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Tonetta posted:

life rolls scale to item power, but we're talking a ~200 max range from 725 to 823(?)

Sorry yeah that's actually a good point. There are also aspects with damage or shield numbers that will scale up as well.

E: my understanding is the numbers will go up every 10 ilvl, so yes you can upgrade a legendary before extracting the aspect for a little extra number, too

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Took a Necro to 50. Felt really fun. I was looking at their unique items and saw a Bone Spirit chest. That made my mind up for my S1 character. Druid (again) or Barb are also on the table depending on changes.

I'm pretty excited :dance:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Well this answers the question about the lost armor gems

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1679621380080295998/photo/1

i'm sure a high tier brutal heart will be able to make up for the lost armor

Sounding pretty rad! I know a lot of gamers are still nervous about playing season 1 at -750 armor, but the Hearts seem like they'll make my playstyle (offense based) way more powerful and fun

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Alright I finally beat the campaign on a Necro, level 47 I think. It was good and I'm also so loving glad I won't have to do it again.

I think I'll roll a barb for season 1. I suspect I'll level a lot faster now that I'm not listening to dialogue.

Overall: the campaign was good but there is just so much downtime when you're walking through empty zones. So. Much. Traveling. Wanna blow stuff up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Diablo IV: gamers are still nervous about playing season 1 at -750 armoR

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So is this game supposed to be a prequel to D3 or what?
Cause they're talking about us loving with The Primes, as if we didn't already do that.
Or is the cycle never ending?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So is this game supposed to be a prequel to D3 or what?
Cause they're talking about us loving with The Primes, as if we didn't already do that.
Or is the cycle never ending?

It's set like 50 years after Malthael killed off like most of humanity.

Demons don't die they just get sent to time out. Angels probably work the same way I dunno. They eventually come back. Diablo came back so fast in 3 because he had help from his mortal squeeze Adria.

Spoilery:
The primes reforming refers to their time out being over after getting defeated in d2. Lilith's whole thing is trying to break the cycle by becoming a prime. It's called the eternal conflict for a reason.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So I have a question about nightmare dungeons.

I am level 67. Everyone says you basically* want to do enemies 3 levels up. So that, using math I know, is level 70.

If I use a tier 17 sacred sigil, I get level 70 enemies, but all the stuff online says it’s your level - 51 and the calculators say I should use 16. So are they wrong or am I? Did they change this, or is it different with ancestral sigils, or does nobody else understand subtraction?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCWrmxVI4LQ

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah well so am I, don't see me making a video about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I have a question about nightmare dungeons.

I am level 67. Everyone says you basically* want to do enemies 3 levels up. So that, using math I know, is level 70.

If I use a tier 17 sacred sigil, I get level 70 enemies, but all the stuff online says it’s your level - 51 and the calculators say I should use 16. So are they wrong or am I? Did they change this, or is it different with ancestral sigils, or does nobody else understand subtraction?

The -51 applies when you get to wt4 and ancestral sigils