Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

That's not entirely fair

There's also middle aged rich people to be mad at

That's very true and now I'm even more annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Lobsterpillar posted:

The primary goal of these two major parties is to get themselves re elected. Governing well is not their main concern (and maybe not a concern at all)

Labour's done well by this country the past 6 years.

Slavvy posted:

That's not entirely fair

There's also middle aged rich people to be mad at

And I work with an entirely new generation of right wing numpties. Blaming the olds is a fools errand and intellectually lazy to boot.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Beartaco posted:

Labour's major achievement was around Covid and it was a mix of luck, our natural isolation and their response. Very little positive policy was passed. Even if they wanted to, they were never going to make major changes or fix funding deficits without an increase in revenue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beartaco posted:

And I work with an entirely new generation of right wing numpties. Blaming the olds is a fools errand and intellectually lazy to boot.

If your definition of 'well' is 'better than national' then yeah sure, the same way dysentery is better than cancer

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

If your definition of 'well' is 'better than national' then yeah sure, the same way dysentery is better than cancer

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Labour have made a bunch of good changes and have made some small progress on poo poo like poverty and housing insecurity, but they've hardly been a transformational government. I'm not sure who genuinely expected them to be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The problem isn't the government, it's public expectations. Do better nz

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The problem isn't the government, it's public expectations. Do better nz

Unironically yes, it's a representative democracy so the government is constrained by public opinion.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bike tory posted:

they've hardly been a transformational government

Isn't that one of the claims/promises
they made to get elected?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Unironically yes, it's a representative democracy so the government is constrained by public opinion.

This is why the power companies weren't sold off right?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Perfect analogy for our political climate. It seems to be the same the world over. In The US it is republicans twisting things to the right and the democrats stopping things coming back left. In the UK it is Tory/Labour etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weird, it's like they're beholden to a force they can't control

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Taitale posted:

This is why the power companies weren't sold off right?
no, it's why weed was decriminalised and capital gains were implemented.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Still mad about weed, ngl

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's next, the fishhook?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Still mad about weed, ngl

couldn't even manage a cheeky decrim for the trouble

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Content to Hover posted:

Labour's major achievement was around Covid and it was a mix of luck, our natural isolation and their response. Very little positive policy was passed. Even if they wanted to, they were never going to make major changes or fix funding deficits without an increase in revenue.

How quickly we forget the United States whose government response cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of its citizens.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

More like 1.2-4 million depending how you count the US death toll.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Excess deaths over the whole period are an average per country of ~350 per 100k. The US had around ~550 per 100k, so yeah 1.6 million people died in the US that wouldn't have under normal circumstances.

NZ had -12 per 100k, so assuming instead we would have hit that average around 16,000 additional people would have died if we had done nothing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Beartaco posted:

How quickly we forget the United States whose government response cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of its citizens.

This thread is for pissing and moaning and bitching, we don't discuss positive things here.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I called it their major achievement. It gave them the first total majority under MMP, which could have been used to great positive effect if that had been their intention. Big changes require big spending, which means either cuts or taxes.

They are a caretaker government until National/ACT can actively make things worse, so I struggle to to see how "Labour's done well by this country the past 6 years."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think being better than the Americans on any given point is not really an amazing accolade, it's really the bare minimum

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slavvy posted:

I think being better than the Americans on any given point is not really an amazing accolade, it's really the bare minimum

one that the overwhelming majority of the world whiffed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

redleader posted:

one that the overwhelming majority of the world whiffed

Not arguing they didn't, just about everyone else's government is absolutely terrible, that doesn't make ours great

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slavvy posted:

In this case I think we actually can take the w

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Content to Hover posted:

I called it their major achievement. It gave them the first total majority under MMP, which could have been used to great positive effect if that had been their intention. Big changes require big spending, which means either cuts or taxes.

in your opinion, should governments reflect the will of their voters?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The will of the voters is set by media discourse which is set by capital and voting is a safety valve scam

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

slavvy i have a 105 R7000 hydro disc groupy just lying around looking for a good home if you're interested

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmarx posted:

in your opinion, should governments reflect the will of their voters?

Oh, I am not trying to imply that we don't deserve Labour. Just that they aren't that great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sphyre posted:

slavvy i have a 105 R7000 hydro disc groupy just lying around looking for a good home if you're interested

I wish I had that kind of money

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Content to Hover posted:

They are a caretaker government until National/ACT can actively make things worse, so I struggle to to see how "Labour's done well by this country the past 6 years."

You see voters rewarded labour with a historic majority to say well done for handling COVID, the voters didn't actually want labour to do anything other than miraculously solving all the cost of living issues without changing anything that affects them personally

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/politics/350036677/pm-determined-win-all-costs-price-labours-soul

quote:

Jacinda Ardern won a landslide victory on a cautious, centrist platform. Her government had a mandate to tackle the country’s housing, climate and poverty crises.

Events (the pandemic and an economic crisis) – and probably competence – got in the way of delivery.

The rise of a radical progressive left, which represents only a minority of the population but dominates Labour and Twitter, corrupted the party. Its values were a world apart from the values of the average voter.

:goofy:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They did nothing about housing because they're too left is certainly a take

Words mean nothing now, I'm sure it's fine

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Labour is dominated by radical progressive leftists?

First I've heard of it.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

That is a very dumb slogan when so many people are struggling.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/13-07-2023/so-this-is-how-the-story-ends

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not angry or disappointed, just very tired

Eventually that'll turn into impotent rage I guess

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I'm not angry or disappointed, just very tired

Eventually that'll turn into impotent rage I guess

Ironically a wealth tax would pay several times over Nationals bloody pothole fund

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bring back Winnie p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
good news https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/132532167/can-winston-peters-ride-a-freedom-wave-to-parliament