Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mordiceius posted:

Go back and watch Mondstadt Paimon and it almost feels like she is sleeping through the performance. She's so soft and muted.

That's the good Paimon! I might still use the english dub if she still sounded like that. But apparently the director at the dub studio has spent the last 3 years holding up a post-it note that says 'more muppety'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Maxwell Adams posted:

That's the good Paimon! I might still use the english dub if she still sounded like that. But apparently the director at the dub studio has spent the last 3 years holding up a post-it note that says 'more muppety'.

Nah. Muted Paimon sucks. So little personality.

The more shrill gremlin the better.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I prefer early Paimon when it comes to the en dub. Though one thing that always bothered me, Paimon never refers to herself in third person in any language but English. In Japanese she uses oira, the same pronoun Itto uses.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My biggest complaint about the English VAs is the same about anime in general. The sheer number of high pitch voices is (was) pretty jarring and weird. It's not nearly as bad since 2.0 broke, with the exception of Kokomi and Sayu. Nahida's is also pretty high pitch, but it fits since she's a kid.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I love my good friend paimon, even though I'm pretty sure it happened against my will. Really hope hoyo sorts out this whole thing with the va company, paimons va does a great job and I'd be very sad to see them go :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
English is the only one that does third person speak for Paimon

And English also has on average way higher pitch voices per character than JP, so they are just being caricatures for no reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite english voice is Venti's, it's just so good and hits this perfect level of 5D chess vs idiot ambiguity. There are voices like Klee's that even I'll admit are straight up better in other languages so language settings per major character would be neat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My biggest complaint about the English VAs is the same about anime in general. The sheer number of high pitch voices is (was) pretty jarring and weird. It's not nearly as bad since 2.0 broke, with the exception of Kokomi and Sayu. Nahida's is also pretty high pitch, but it fits since she's a kid.

honestly the eng va is weird because the jp voices are doing preetty normal anime voices but the dub is like, doing it even moreso. they sound like a fandub

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The English voice director sucks rear end at his job

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man I dont know about these NPCs and their really easily solved problems sometimes.

Brothers: Rabble Rabble Rabble argue argue argue!
Kaeya: K time to cool off
Brothers: Uh okay then Mr Cool Eyepatch Guy

Eula: Hey cousin come out of the tent we're going back to Mondstadt
Cousin Lawrence: Naw I dont wanna
Eula *puts hands on hips and makes a pouty face with closeup*
Cousin Lawrence: Okay fine

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/VAsonicmega/status/1679535332038184961

Diluc's VA chipped in too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Diluc's VA chipped in too.

:golfclap: quality pun

Hopefully it's not Mihoyo and just the studio. Though if they have to switch studios that might cause some delays in content.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

Qft

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Anora posted:

:golfclap: quality pun

Hopefully it's not Mihoyo and just the studio. Though if they have to switch studios that might cause some delays in content.

Worth it if they switch to Star Rail’s studio.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Meowywitch posted:

Hell yeah

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

vote_no posted:

Worth it if they switch to Star Rail’s studio.

I don't know how reliable the source is but

the voice directors for genshin impact are Brook Chalmers, Chris Faiella and Philip Bache

the voice director for honkai star rail is... Philip Bache

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

UHD posted:

I don't know how reliable the source is but

the voice directors for genshin impact are Brook Chalmers, Chris Faiella and Philip Bache

the voice director for honkai star rail is... Philip Bache

Chris is responsible for Barbara’s voice. Get his rear end

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Chris is responsible for Barbara’s voice. Get his rear end

Insert Achwood comic sans comic here

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Corina (Paimon's VA) discusses the situation they're in with payments being months overdue and how it's impacted them.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Corina is not doing very well ☹️ I hope they have good insurance to support their medical and mental health needs. what a poo poo show and i hope this contributes to further unionization efforts among creators.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Corina deserves the world, pay them their drat rightfully earned money you squawks!

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: Even Sean Chiplock trying to get out of the drama baiting content creators and what not by clarifying the guilty party here. We'll see if it works out. I don't know I just feel like Asian business cultures would take that sort of not paying your workers thing as super bad manners and top tier shameful behavior somehow that would cause them to lose face, which is basically the absolute worst thing in Asian business culture.

The absolute garbo clickbait sites like Gamesrader+ that do the absolute bare minimum of research into things and are primarily focused on working search engine algorithms aren't going to give two flying fucks however.

Btw thank you for Tiktok for at least not being a 100% joke of a social media host and just 80% of a joke of a website so that I can see what Corina has to say without jumping through hoops for loving :elon: Elon

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 14, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kale posted:

:lol: Even Sean Chiplock trying to get out of the drama baiting content creators and what not by clarifying the guilty party here. We'll see if it works out. I don't know I just feel like Asian business cultures would take that sort of not paying your workers thing as super bad manners and top tier shameful behavior somehow that would cause them to lose face, which is basically the absolute worst thing in Asian business culture.

What about faking 300 million dollars in coffee shop sales, was that not shameful enough lol

Kale
May 14, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What about faking 300 million dollars in coffee shop sales, was that not shameful enough lol

Unfortunately I'm not getting the reference so can't comment. One thing I am wondering though is exactly how much a company based out of Singapore and China can effect a situation that technically falls under California jurisdiction even if there was some sort of attempt to intervene on their behalf. Like I assume they pay Formosa Group as a subcontractor who is then supposed to pay their voice actors for work done, but clearly isn't. How could Mihoyo even do anything about that even if they wanted too is what I'm wondering?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

RIP Barbara original voice

Imagine if Saori Hayami said she wasn't paid for voicing Ayaka

An otaku reaction is quite a fecking thing

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 14, 2023

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I wonder if Lessig Lawrence is a subtle dig at political dork Lawrence Lessig, known best for having the smallest possible glasses and multiple failed presidential runs no one took seriously.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
What on earth drove Genshin to keep upping the number of oculus collectables in every region. it goes from like 60, to 130, to 180, to 270. I hope fondane doesn't follow the trend and bump it to 400 something, this is getting silly, there's already more than enough puzzles and chests to keep most people busy collecting for 15 hours per region

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

What on earth drove Genshin to keep upping the number of oculus collectables in every region. it goes from like 60, to 130, to 180, to 270. I hope fondane doesn't follow the trend and bump it to 400 something, this is getting silly, there's already more than enough puzzles and chests to keep most people busy collecting for 15 hours per region
Part of it is that Sumeru is just way bigger than any of the previous regions, but it's mainly that Dragonspine, Enkanomiya and the Chasm didn't have any, but all the Sumeru zones do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tampa Bae posted:

Fontaine will have 360

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
There's a character survey up today (along with a random 30gb update I wasn't expecting). Might be good to mention that their English VAs should be getting paid!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tampa Bae posted:

it's to piss off all the completionists (like me)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Update (July 14, 2023): HoYoverse has provided us with a statement regarding the missing payments for Genshin Impact voice actors:

“We truly regret to learn about the ongoing situation. Genshin Impact values and respects the work and effort of everyone involved, and we support our voice actors to claim their proper due. We have made payments to our recording studio on time, and we immediately urged the studio to pay our voice actors from our past payment. Meanwhile, we are also seeking alternative solutions. And we will keep you posted on further developments.”

PR speak but at least they acknowledge the situation

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

the worst is that there are so many that you start to run out of map pins

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Nice a new character survey. I can't wait to beat up these dinguses for only releasing a single good character during the entirety of sumeru :getin:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was asked about Barbara (in addition to others). I do wonder why they need to ask about Barbara and what exactly theyre trying to learn.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i was asked about xinyan, naturally she got top scores because xinyan owns

e: and layla, xiao, yelan, and cyno. who all got top scores because they all own. even layla. especially layla.

UHD fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 14, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

I was asked about Barbara (in addition to others). I do wonder why they need to ask about Barbara and what exactly theyre trying to learn.
They gave me Mona, Ayaka, Tighnari, Heizou and Xingqiu. I think it just chooses out of everyone, strictly at random.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

They gave me Mona, Ayaka, Tighnari, Heizou and Xingqiu. I think it just chooses out of everyone, strictly at random.
It's just for the launch characters you would think they have a pretty good handle on their designs/popularity. How much further can barbara studies be advanced at this point?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

And the main point seems to be about their aesthetic appeal and no on in the game looks awful except for Mika. But like I got Xinyan and I think she's cool and looks great, but she's a physical pyro unit, so she's kind of useless. I mentioned that in the feedback. And then I used the general tab to complain about Dehya a lot.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I got Tighnari, Eula, and Sara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Diluc/Albedo/Xiao/Xinyan/Faruzan

of all the characters, these certainly are some of them