Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Too many people trying to recreate an idealized version of the past, and not enough people willing to get funky.

A model railroad that exists in a David Lynch town would be awesome.

There is a guy on youtube who makes old west dioramas mixed with cyberpunk and weird deadly creatures. I'm drawing a blank on the name of the channel at the moment, but he's a great kitbasher and his videos are entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Skunkduster posted:

There is a guy on youtube who makes old west dioramas mixed with cyberpunk and weird deadly creatures. I'm drawing a blank on the name of the channel at the moment, but he's a great kitbasher and his videos are entertaining.

Boylei Hobby Time

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgQwSZ-aFw

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Boylei Hobby Time

Yup! Don't know how that slipped my mind as he has it spelled out on his cutting mat at the beginning of each video. It wasn't until his 5th or 6th video that I realized it was his name. I thought it was just a bunch of random crap on the mat.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to do aquatic lizardmen hunting scouts, you could have them hunting Sea Scouts, which is the naval division of boy scouts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think a West Virginia countryside railroad with lots of mothman features would be neat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

I've long felt that a lot of model railroads are far too quaint and not nearly weird enough. We need more N or HO scale sasquatches.

A family of squatches waving from the woods as a train passes

A boxcar in a consist on a siding, surrounded by rail cops, one bull flying out the door on the business end of an enormous hairy arm

Traffic backed up at a crossing. There's a squatch in a convertible

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Phy posted:

A family of squatches waving from the woods as a train passes

A boxcar in a consist on a siding, surrounded by rail cops, one bull flying out the door on the business end of an enormous hairy arm

Traffic backed up at a crossing. There's a squatch in a convertible

For some reason I'm being reminded of the Jersey Devil episode of X-files.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Thanks everyone for their info about working area stuff (cutting mats and storage). I like the idea of little bin things for holding subassemblies. Really like that decal bath thing!

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Count Thrashula posted:

Okay cool :cool:

I've always wanted to get into trains, and now that I have a young child I want to make a track layout to play with him. I'll post pics here as I make progress!

Good luck! Post all about it.
I have great memories of being about 6 or 7 years old and playing with my dad's perpetually in progress layout and breaking his expensive Märklin trains. :biglips:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I am absolutely loving the idea of a train layout with a bunch of weird poo poo in it. Please keep us all posted with whatever you do with your layout.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There does exist a T scale for trains which is 1:450

You mostly can only get Japanese metro trains from the Osaka line, but you know what that means...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

There does exist a T scale for trains which is 1:450

You mostly can only get Japanese metro trains from the Osaka line, but you know what that means...

A train set that's really neat?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cthulu Carl posted:

The really neat thing is that at that scale I'm pretty sure they're magnetic, so you could probably have a section of the track on a funky cant as one of the monsters busts up through the ground/ocean.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And here I was thinking a live steam backyard setup where one of the houses is the Addams mansion with Gomez playing with an extremely tiny trainwreck set

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

moparacker posted:

Thanks everyone for their info about working area stuff (cutting mats and storage). I like the idea of little bin things for holding subassemblies. Really like that decal bath thing!

I use those little circular plastic takeout sauce containers for holding cleaned up parts and assemblies. I have some of them marked "left" and "right" and "top" and "bottom".

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is it full of turtle meat?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Another day, another tank kit missing the poly caps. Ho hum, life is suffering.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I posted about it a couple pages ago but Boylei Hobby Time is my favorite YouTuber and I've been a Patreon supporter of his for about a year. He shared a pic of how his railroad layout is going on Patreon the other day, and it looks freaking awesome.

I suppose now I really am a modeler because I keep buying kits without finishing others. Was in Hobby Lobby and they had the 40 percent off model kits going so I grabbed one of those AMT Bulldozers and a California Hauler Peterbilt. Looking forward to eventually making a small diorama about it.

So I was moving a couple weeks ago (still in process, but just got my new workshop mainly set up!) and the Bigfoot monster truck diorama I posted a few pages back fell off a shelf and the truck basically shattered into a bunch of parts. Going to be rebuilding that shortly before I do anything else!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Alright, what's the best way to learn scale model rigging as I've decided to start building more ships?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MyronMulch posted:

I use those little circular plastic takeout sauce containers for holding cleaned up parts and assemblies. I have some of them marked "left" and "right" and "top" and "bottom".

Forget the sauce, I keep the multi-compartment containers with a snap-on lid. Those are super useful for someone who has a lot of projects going at once. Don't do this, finish things.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Alright, what's the best way to learn scale model rigging as I've decided to start building more ships?

Assuming you mean wooden model ships of a relatively large scale, John Aliprantis has a lot of videos up about many popular models and demonstrates some of the rigging practices. The channel is here : https://www.youtube.com/@JohnsWoodenShips

Model Ship World website has a lot of info as well.

A lot of the solutions for rigging model ships involves tools or jigs that can make things easier. Even though it sounds silly to buy a specific tool for shrouds and ratlines, even if it saves a minute on each knot, you are going to have like 400+ knots on most big model ship kits shrouds.

This is a good tutorial for ratlines : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcrW9IOyjc

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 14, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The design phase of Cryptid Railroad is in full effect.

The main center "diorama" aspect of this is going to be downtown Point Pleasant, WV, where the Mothman statue is:

And true to folklore, there's going to be a bridge collapse scene on one edge (so it doesn't affect the actual operation of the railroad) with the Mothman himself lurking, being a portent of doom.

Finally, On the other edge, I'm going to do a woodland camping scene withe the Bigfoot strolling by.

Will I put in some other WV cryptids? The Flatwoods Monster? Who knows! This is going to be a long and fun project.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

The main center "diorama" aspect of this is going to be downtown Point Pleasant, WV, where the Mothman statue is:

And true to folklore, there's going to be a bridge collapse scene on one edge (so it doesn't affect the actual operation of the railroad) with the Mothman himself lurking, being a portent of doom.

Finally, On the other edge, I'm going to do a woodland camping scene withe the Bigfoot strolling by.

Will I put in some other WV cryptids? The Flatwoods Monster? Who knows! This is going to be a long and fun project.

If you need something for the river, as an Ohioan, I hereby authroize the use of the Loveland Frog. Loveland is a bit far from Point Pleasant, but maybe the Frog and Mothman are pen pals and finally meeting.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Assuming you mean wooden model ships of a relatively large scale, John Aliprantis has a lot of videos up about many popular models and demonstrates some of the rigging practices. The channel is here : https://www.youtube.com/@JohnsWoodenShips

Model Ship World website has a lot of info as well.

A lot of the solutions for rigging model ships involves tools or jigs that can make things easier. Even though it sounds silly to buy a specific tool for shrouds and ratlines, even if it saves a minute on each knot, you are going to have like 400+ knots on most big model ship kits shrouds.

This is a good tutorial for ratlines : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcrW9IOyjc

I'm thinking more of starting with smaller plastic kits and working my way up to wooden kits and then the 1:98 Victory from the 70s I have. Correct rigging feels a lot more daunting than putting together a wooden ship otherwise.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I'm thinking more of starting with smaller plastic kits and working my way up to wooden kits and then the 1:98 Victory from the 70s I have. Correct rigging feels a lot more daunting than putting together a wooden ship otherwise.

Assuming you ever get to that point -- I highly recommend a newer kit than one from the 70's for something as complicated as the Victory. There was a brand new designed Victory in 1:64 done for Amati by Chris Watton a few years ago, but for some reason known only to upper management, they have yet to actually release the kit even though it is completely ready for release.

When you get to the point of tackling that massive project, I'd research whether a much newer kit of Victory is available, as the stuff from the 70's is more of a bunch of wood, terrible instructions and a dream, rather than what most people would consider a model kit.

The rigging on Victory is going to be a massive undertaking. For sure do a much simpler rigged ship first.

For what it's worth the rigging on plastic models (assuming not sailing ships) is going to be completely differently done than rigging on wooden sailing ships.

Somewhere in this giant thread, and also on it's own post in this sub-forum is my build log of a much simpler sailing ship and I go into a lot of detail during the rigging phase.

Edit: I should say that I found the rigging to be a lot of fun, even if some of it was very repetitive. I found the ratlines, which are extremely repetitive to be kind of zen, you just get into a groove and before you know it.. 200 knots are done..

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In an attempt to get some modelling mojo back I'm currently working on a kit of the 2019 Toyota Le Mans car. Most of the work will be in the paint and decals cause there is bugger all in the way of detail under the funky looking body shell. In order to make the build a little easier I have stuck a majority of the body panels together as this will ease the painting process.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Thrashula posted:

I feel like you need a "spooky" train to run occasionally. Like a ghost train or evil demon train.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

The Locator posted:

Assuming you ever get to that point -- I highly recommend a newer kit than one from the 70's for something as complicated as the Victory. There was a brand new designed Victory in 1:64 done for Amati by Chris Watton a few years ago, but for some reason known only to upper management, they have yet to actually release the kit even though it is completely ready for release.

When you get to the point of tackling that massive project, I'd research whether a much newer kit of Victory is available, as the stuff from the 70's is more of a bunch of wood, terrible instructions and a dream, rather than what most people would consider a model kit.

The rigging on Victory is going to be a massive undertaking. For sure do a much simpler rigged ship first.

For what it's worth the rigging on plastic models (assuming not sailing ships) is going to be completely differently done than rigging on wooden sailing ships.

Somewhere in this giant thread, and also on it's own post in this sub-forum is my build log of a much simpler sailing ship and I go into a lot of detail during the rigging phase.

Edit: I should say that I found the rigging to be a lot of fun, even if some of it was very repetitive. I found the ratlines, which are extremely repetitive to be kind of zen, you just get into a groove and before you know it.. 200 knots are done..

The kit was a present from my father in law who purchased it for himself back in the 70s but never got around to it, so I kind of have to build it eventually. It's this boxing and as far as I can tell it's complete and in good shape, I've posted about it before in the thread. I do plan on starting with a few easier wooden ships first, and thought plastic sailing ship kits such as this might also make a good bridge to get the rigging methods down.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

The kit was a present from my father in law who purchased it for himself back in the 70s but never got around to it, so I kind of have to build it eventually. It's this boxing and as far as I can tell it's complete and in good shape, I've posted about it before in the thread. I do plan on starting with a few easier wooden ships first, and thought plastic sailing ship kits such as this might also make a good bridge to get the rigging methods down.

Okay, I understand the desire to do that kit. I'm not sure that such a small scale plastic kit will help you with the rigging, as it will be the exact same as the wooden one except.. smaller.

Personally I would start with a small sloop or cutter - single masted with hopefully a square topsail, as that is about the simplest sailing rig of the era, but still has plenty of rigging to learn on including ratlines. I personally like 1:48 scale but your choices are limited. 1:64 has some excellent kits available like this one: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/alert-order/

Or if you prefer a two-master that's still got a fairly simple rig this looks like a sweet kit: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/grecian/

I recommend this company's kit because he is on the leading edge of "modern" wooden ship kits with excellent materials and instructions. You can make a very good ship from his kits without spending a bunch of money on aftermarket parts.

For your Victory kit, I guarantee that the rigging itself (the string included in the kit) will be terrible and completely out of scale, but it can certainly be built with it, as when the kit was made there weren't good alternatives. Buying replacement rigging rope for the Victory would cost a bunch of money unless you buy the tools and materials to just make it yourself, which would be a project in and of itself!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to do wooden ship models then the best possible introduction would be Chris Watton's line, as referenced by the other poster.

One other option, if you want to practice rigging without worrying too much about the other details of a ship is doing a cross section. They have the benefit of taking up much less room as well. I can recommend the Santasima Trinidad cross section by Occre. It might also be interesting to give the Panart bow section of the Victory a go as well, because the bow section of the ship can be pretty difficult. It would be good to have a little cross section to practice on before attempting the bigger kit.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
I'll take a look at those then. Over here I've got one shop selling wooden models so I've already been browsing there a bit.

Might either of these two also be good starters? They're easily available and very much within budget.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I'll take a look at those then. Over here I've got one shop selling wooden models so I've already been browsing there a bit.

Might either of these two also be good starters? They're easily available and very much within budget.

I prefer Occre, but imagine both would work. You can look at the instructions for most Occre kits on their website, they have the Polaris instructions. You can give them a look to see what you are getting into.

https://occre.com/en-us/pages/instrucciones

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Never done those, but from the pictures if your primary goal is learning about rigging, neither of those two have much of it. They look like the models have extremely simplified rigging.

I can't speak to how good those kits are either, but I'd suggest registering on modelshipworld.com and searching for posts, build logs or reviews about the kits and see what information is out there on them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boylei Hobby Time finished his train set and while there's no monsters, it still looks pretty dang neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOcG9Vh7cM

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
USMC mobile suit prototype circa 2146

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In an attempt to get some modelling mojo back I'm currently working on a kit of the 2019 Toyota Le Mans car. Most of the work will be in the paint and decals cause there is bugger all in the way of detail under the funky looking body shell. In order to make the build a little easier I have stuck a majority of the body panels together as this will ease the painting process.

TS050? That thing looks sweet, but holy panels. Here I thought the TS020 I’m working on was a big job.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

nitsuga posted:

TS050? That thing looks sweet, but holy panels. Here I thought the TS020 I’m working on was a big job.

Yeah that’s the one. I find masking and painting bodies relaxing so it’ll be alright. Legit once the body shell is done there is gently caress all else in the kit

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

This series of videos might be interesting for those new or returning to the hobby:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4khtUfadv0ES4DGMAZLFZCOo4ox9aCRK

I haven't watched them, but have watched loads of this dude's other videos where he goes over the same stuff while progressing through builds, and his advice is generally solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moparacker
May 8, 2007

MyronMulch posted:

Walter White does modeling

Nice! I'll be watching this.