Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea at the initial launch I was like, "Oh sick, EDF but with dinosaurs" and then went through the same thing of, "Oh wait it has some PvP-ish element? That's stupid"

But figured for a GamePass sub it's at least worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sab669 posted:

That's a shame because the tutorial seemed at least potentially fun. Have my stupid work zoom meeting in 10 minutes though so I can't keep playing :argh:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a complete buzzkill. It's only cosmetic DLC so far. Same way Monster Hunter gets bombarded with dances and hats.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it'd be cool if instead of releasing a multiplayer game every year that flops, Capcom would release Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2 in a pack or Lost Planet 2 again. They know how to make fun multiplayer games based on some of their older stuff and Mon Hun/Street Fighter, they just also seem to want the live service money while not actually making a game that's fun or worth playing for more than a few hours in the first place.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Do you think there will be an apology tweet?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But think of all the money we could make if we luck into making a fun game while we build a GaaS engine

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just played like one round of Exoprimal so far, seems generally decent but I do agree that the PvP focus seems weird. Like this could be a perfectly decent horde shooter, but that part both makes the whole setting feel extra artificial and adds in the extra annoyance of capping off every game with a round that introduces all the headaches of regular hero shooters. Such as teammates who just will not stand on the loving POINT IT'S RIGHT THERE AAAA.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I think the answer is no after doing a ton of research but uhhh

Is there a way to hide games played on your steam profile? I do not care if my friends know I've played 1000 hours of boob puzzle game, however it's my shame and I'd like to hide it from others.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

faantastic posted:

I think the answer is no after doing a ton of research but uhhh

Is there a way to hide games played on your steam profile? I do not care if my friends know I've played 1000 hours of boob puzzle game, however it's my shame and I'd like to hide it from others.

Your dota hour count should be shamefully on display at all times regardless of how low it is

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I will not stand for UTF-8 slander

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

lol oops

besides that though?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not in my AMERICA!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not very practical call sign.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

wait gently caress of course: really fucks with AI driven systems

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

wait gently caress of course: really fucks with AI driven systems

yeah drones just crash when they try to target him

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Doesn't look like anything to me

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kalyna is a loving superstar (for that money)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Holy hell this game is NOT made better by its PvP elements at all.

Hearing, "You are completing missions slower" is not fun.
Getting wrecked by the other team in the final phase is not fun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I wonder if they thought that people won't whale for big dick cosmetics if there is no player vs player competition

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mycot posted:

I wonder if they thought that people won't whale for big dick cosmetics if there is no player vs player competition

The real joy is clowning on fools who buy the big dick cosmetics in PvP

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mycot posted:

MonHun does a bunch of paid cosmetic and it has no PvP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Macichne Leainig posted:

The real joy is clowning on fools who buy the big dick cosmetics in PvP

Ganging up on people with paid cosmetics is praxis.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

MonHun does a bunch of paid cosmetic and it has no PvP.

MonHunt PvP would be hilarious

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It should be Evolve-style 1v4 where one dude plays as the monster.
All the pieces are there and you can already control the monster in Rise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It’s just playing with a gunlance using bullet barrage

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alright yea, got like 4 games in on Exoprimal and even the PvE mode sucks. Giving the winning team a Dinosaur they can invade the losing team's game with is literally just a "Win More" button. Then a player drops and you've got a Bot on your team so now you know there's zero chance of "winning". My last match just disconnected me and I alt f4'd.

Why couldn't they have just made this an actual PvE game, like I'm genuinely actually bummed. The core concept is great; but no we have to shoehorn PvP & GaaS into every loving thing :(

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
On the flip side of PvPvE games, I finally decided to check out Hunt: Showdown during the recent sale after seeing it get brought up here and watching some streams. It's pretty cool. The setting is unique, the PvE isn't great on its own, but as a layer of hazards to contend with during tense PvP action it's good. I'm not a great shooter but I'm pretty sound sensitive and a large part of the game is about detecting other players through sound.

I'm still in my rookie levels with locked MMR but I was able to sneak my way around the outside of a firefight at a boss, ambush the duo that survived the fight, then use their guns to take down the boss and extract, it felt great. The slower speed of firefights thanks to many weapons having long reloads or shot cycles makes the game feel different from every other shooter I've played, especially after coming off of a crazy game like Battlebit Remastered.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sab669 posted:

Why couldn't they have just made this an actual PvE game, like I'm genuinely actually bummed. The core concept is great; but no we have to shoehorn PvP & GaaS into every loving thing :(

this is how I feel about Arc Raiders

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

have there been any good asymmetric multiplayer games in the last couple years? last one i can really think of was Dead by Daylight, and before that, Natural Selection 2

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I tried out Exoprimal because it's on gamepass and, you know, I feel like I would like the game better if it had about three times more dinosaurs to shoot. Right? I haven't played any horde shooters since Left 4 Dead but it feels like the tagline of Exoprimal was "who would win: five mechs OR five thousand dinosaurs"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

I tried out Exoprimal because it's on gamepass and, you know, I feel like I would like the game better if it had about three times more dinosaurs to shoot. Right? I haven't played any horde shooters since Left 4 Dead but it feels like the tagline of Exoprimal was "who would win: five mechs OR five thousand dinosaurs"

Yea exactly; I just want to shoot swarms of dinosaurs. But because it's PvP they have to have fast matches / short levels, segmented up into 5 different encounters/checkpoints for the race.
Everything associated with the PvP premise gets in the way of what could've been a fun time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Diephoon posted:

On the flip side of PvPvE games, I finally decided to check out Hunt: Showdown during the recent sale after seeing it get brought up here and watching some streams. It's pretty cool. The setting is unique, the PvE isn't great on its own, but as a layer of hazards to contend with during tense PvP action it's good. I'm not a great shooter but I'm pretty sound sensitive and a large part of the game is about detecting other players through sound.

I'm still in my rookie levels with locked MMR but I was able to sneak my way around the outside of a firefight at a boss, ambush the duo that survived the fight, then use their guns to take down the boss and extract, it felt great. The slower speed of firefights thanks to many weapons having long reloads or shot cycles makes the game feel different from every other shooter I've played, especially after coming off of a crazy game like Battlebit Remastered.

It's pretty great. Check out the thread too, lots of great advice and discussions about the appropriate pricing for medium slot long guns.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

this is how I feel about Arc Raiders

I was also pretty annoyed when Arc Raiders was announced to be turned into (yet another) extraction shooter

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

It's pretty great. Check out the thread too, lots of great advice and discussions about the appropriate pricing for medium slot long guns.

The more I use the drilling the more I’m convinced the price is appropriate

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

have there been any good asymmetric multiplayer games in the last couple years? last one i can really think of was Dead by Daylight, and before that, Natural Selection 2

I wish natural selection 2 had lasted longer, when you had a balanced match there wasn’t much else like it and the lerk was a lot of fun to play

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

spent way too much time in college playin natural selection 2. got so good with the skulk that id perform better with it than any other lifeform and my teammates would get mad at me for finishing the match at the top of the scoreboard with max lifeform points since i wouldnt bother evolving into anything else

so satisfying watching the map and setting up a successful ambush on oblivious marines while they marched under you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

spent way too much time in college playin natural selection 2. got so good with the skulk that id perform better with it than any other lifeform and my teammates would get mad at me for finishing the match at the top of the scoreboard with max lifeform points since i wouldnt bother evolving into anything else

so satisfying watching the map and setting up a successful ambush on oblivious marines while they marched under you

I got super good with the skulk and the instant they completely rewrote the skulk movement mechanics I dropped the game and never played it again lmao

I really loved my time with it but having to relearn that stuff crossed the line

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I beat Weird West yesterday and it was good! Mostly. I'd really like to see a sequel, there's a lot they could build on, I think they could easily go from good to great. Lots of fun gameplay systems are in place but there's things I think they need to fix, like being able to give your companions commands (there's a mod I guess you could download to do this but it's odd it's not baked it), and also make the loot more interesting/varied.

In the game over the course of the story you get switched between 5 main characters, and you start fresh in terms of your inventory with each new character but you can go buy a horse, or open a bank box that will keep what you had for previous characters, and also you can recruit the previous characters as NPC companions and access their old inventory that way, also the upgrade tokens they had when you were switched over — except for the last character! They don't allow this and I was super annoyed because the previous character I had a bunch of legendary weapons, including the first character's gun that is the only gun that can be upgraded all the way.

But that was the only major annoyance, the game was lots of fun, worth checking out.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Owl Inspector posted:

I wish natural selection 2 had lasted longer, when you had a balanced match there wasn’t much else like it and the lerk was a lot of fun to play

Big same, I played heaps out of NS1 and it was so good, NS2 took a little to find its feet but could've been incredible had it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Diephoon posted:

hell yeah! There's a goon discord linked in the thread Black Griffon posted, that's where we get together to play. Winning as a solo against duos is legit impressive, well done - solo is extreme hard mode in Hunt. To give you an idea I've got almost 2k hours and I consider solo a challenge.