Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Being single and not interacting with any young kids or having friends who do and are watching anime I personally have no perspective on how seriously anyone is making 'Sigma Male Grindset' videos based on Eren. Partly because I see them all over the spectrum, from Patrick Star to Thanos to Miguel O'Hara to Mr. x to Gru. So all I can say is that I'm assuming 80% of them are a joke by volume much like how all the #Thanosdidnothing wrong nonsense was people being contrarians arguing on the internet.

It's a a small shame nobody could recommend the initial Isekai heavy hitters like Digimon or Inuyasha in the video though. But it's probably for the best that the video didn't become a 4 hour thing on the history of the genre before getting to the point. I do wonder what his opinion on Dante and Kirby would be as far as 'characters who're strong for no reason' would go :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I assure you quite a few people think eren did nothing wrong

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

oh I assure you quite a few people think eren did nothing wrong

I don't disbelieve you it's just that I haven't done a deep dive on the true intentions of everyone making those meme videos and I've seen that sentiment as a hashtag for like, the Joker or Syndrome or Zod or Darth Vader so I don't really know how seriously I should be taking it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Latest Adam Ragusea video is another example of why people hate Usanians; the pretense that Usanians invented a thing and that now it only exists in Usania.

And yes, I know he mentions kefir and then mentions it's the same thing, but the video still starts out with how buttermilk is uniquely Usanian, because nobody else before then ever bred pigs or let milk get bad with just the right bacteria in it.

Incidentally, 'kernemælk/kærnemælk' has been used in a Danish cookbook back in 1710.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoUJfTUxPI

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Latest Adam Ragusea video is another example of why people hate Usanians; the pretense that Usanians invented a thing and that now it only exists in Usania.

And yes, I know he mentions kefir and then mentions it's the same thing, but the video still starts out with how buttermilk is uniquely Usanian, because nobody else before then ever bred pigs or let milk get bad with just the right bacteria in it.

Incidentally, 'kernemælk/kærnemælk' has been used in a Danish cookbook back in 1710.

nobody gives a gently caress

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't even know they'd made a third CDI Zelda game until Game Grumps played it and it was that weird top-down version with a live action intro and somehow had even worse acting and dialogue.

It's simple to the point there's a Gameboy Demake of that floating around that plays way better.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Stop trying to make Usanian happen! It's not going to happen!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

usanians lol

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flying Zamboni posted:

The correct term is Ameriburger.
With the Ameri from American, and the German-derived (Burger) Citizen; Also Americans eat hambugers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hambaga....

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Archer666 posted:

usanians lol

That is one thing but "Usania" is another :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

I only started seeing this in the last week and it needs to be smothered with a pillow

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Flying Zamboni posted:

I always misread "Usanian" as "Usasian." I parsed it as a term for Asian immigrants to the US for years and years.

Not that I come across the term more than once every eight or so months.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the type of person to use "Usanian" once casually in a post is already mega insufferable, imagine what the person who pointedly uses it as many times in a post as possible is like

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
One of my formative experiences with yanks were several instances where, upon realising I was German, they would tell me how they were German too. They didn't mean being, you know, German, but genetically German. :chloe:

I won't lie that this hasn't permanently coloured my perception of that country.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I used to enjoy Adam Ragusea's videos when he would do journalism-lite and have like a guest on who could talk about whatever topic he was covering but this new Adam Ragusea where he makes second rate food in his kitchen and gives hot takes is not interesting in any way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

adam ragusea looks like john darnielle if he sucked rear end

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the funniest posts in the history of the forums was Fish Steer a Dhow /Fall Sick and Die’s post explaining American culture to posters in other countries as if it were a country not many people knew anything about. I remember that he used TUSOA as if the US were the United Arab Emirates or the DPRK.

Whatever happened to them? They grew up and stopped posting?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That's more a pretentious chef thing, and there are a bajillion of them in every country that insist their culinary dish is special and unique and can only be done right in their country. Heck some countries even write laws stating that if a thing is not made in a specific region it actually legally can't be called that thing even if it uses the same process/ingredients as the food made in that region.

God forbid if you make changes to a dish to make it more palatable to locals or just to use local ingredients.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 14, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Americans who use the term usian are one of the reasons people hate Americans.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 14, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's more a pretentious chef thing, and there are a bajillion of them in every country that insist their culinary dish is special and unique and can only be done right in their country. Heck some countries even write laws stating that if a thing is not made in a specific region it actually legally can't be called that thing even if it uses the same process/ingredients as the food made in that region.

God forbid if you make changes to a dish to make it more palatable to locals or just to use local ingredients.

Kinda reminds me of when I was on a food and travel kick and kept running into videos full of superlatives about this LOCAL FAVORITE you HAVE TO TRY. What was the incredible invention only available in <random part of the world>? Fried dough. But get this, over there they put sugar on it!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, we anians don't give a gently caress one way or the other about that sort of things. And that goes triple for buttermilk.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

RareAcumen posted:

It's a a small shame nobody could recommend the initial Isekai heavy hitters like Digimon or Inuyasha in the video though. But it's probably for the best that the video didn't become a 4 hour thing on the history of the genre before getting to the point. I do wonder what his opinion on Dante and Kirby would be as far as 'characters who're strong for no reason' would go :v:

I think there's also the fact that the term/genre itself means different things to different people: There's definitely folks out there for whom "isekai" specifically means "The wave of post-Sword Art Online anime/manga/light novels with trapped in another world plots that focus heavily on wish fulfillment and feature a world heavily based on Japanese fantasy video games", while for others that encompasses all Japanese trapped in another world anime/manga/light novels/etc. and you even have a crowd for whom "isekai" is entirely interchangeable with "trapped in another world" or "portal fantasy" as a whole.

Like you said, the history of the genre is something someone could do an entire, four hour video on and the arguments about the boundaries of the genre and what does and doesn't count as an isekai could probably make for another four hours of video material.

I think the biggest problem is just that, post-Sword Art Online, the genre blew up in popularity in a big way and so the powers that be in the industry started greenlighting anything that remotely resembled SAO in the hopes of capturing lightning in a bottle again. But when you're greenlighting EVERYTHING that fits a particular genre it means a lot of trash is going to be greenlit. Honestly, it's a thing that's happened with several genres (particularly wish fulfillment heavy ones) in the anime/manga industry: You had the harem anime boom of the 90s and the moe boom of the 2000s and we've gotten some classic series from all of these, but because of the sheer volume we've also gotten a lot of real stinkers and problematic trends.

It makes me wonder what the next Big Thing in anime and co is going to be?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If your game doesn't have either in universe ui interfaces or a very boring magic system that still somehow takes 10 hours to explain it's not an isekai. It's just sparkling otherworld fiction.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
people arr jealous as hell of America that's why they I say crazy poo poo

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Me the European
"The gently caress is an Usanian."

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

DeafNote posted:

The gently caress is an Usanian.

They're fighting Russia

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Usanian in the membranium

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

I used to enjoy Adam Ragusea's videos when he would do journalism-lite and have like a guest on who could talk about whatever topic he was covering but this new Adam Ragusea where he makes second rate food in his kitchen and gives hot takes is not interesting in any way.
He's also become one of those chefs who know enough to wing it, and basically never gives accurate measurements as a result.

Which, I suppose, is great for him since it makes it easier to cook - but if your online platform is built around helping people learn how to cook, it's maybe not the best idea.
If he just wants to show off how good he is, he's of course free to make his channel into that.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno how Adam became like this though, he didn't used to be that way at all.

Also, I think this is what you were hinting at - but PDO isn't really about that, so much as it's about ensuring that a product sold is developed, produced, and processed in the area people would expect it to be made, rather than being some cheap imitation that comes from a large multi-national corporation that has no vested interest in keeping the quality high.

trucutru posted:

Nah, we anians don't give a gently caress one way or the other about that sort of things. And that goes triple for buttermilk.
Well, good - that means more buttermilk soup for me!
For real though, it's one of the best treats on hot days - especially when served with fresh strawberries and perhaps a bit of soft-serve or icecream from a local dairy.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

DeafNote posted:

Me the European

They hosed up the spelling of either Erusean, Osean or Ustian.

Depends on which Ace Combat they're talking about.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I dunno how Adam became like this though, he didn't used to be that way at all.

He’s been very open about wanting to do less work for years now. Which is much of why I don’t watch his stuff anymore, I think. His early Q&A videos had very candid "the music could stop tomorrow so I'm going to do the best I can right now and bank it" commentary and over time I guess he just decided it won't stop so it's okay to do less.

He's got kids, a life, etc. so it's not like I begrudge him that, but the result isn't something I care to watch, so, whatever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I don't watch his stuff anymore but I'm forever thankful for his pizza recipe. I use it regularly. Introducing me to that low moisture, whole milk string cheese to use as the cheese. I use another sauce recipe but the basics are still there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think I'm just going to unsubscribe from Adam - what he makes isn't what I'm interested in anymore.

tracecomplete posted:

He’s been very open about wanting to do less work for years now. Which is much of why I don’t watch his stuff anymore, I think. His early Q&A videos had very candid "the music could stop tomorrow so I'm going to do the best I can right now and bank it" commentary and over time I guess he just decided it won't stop so it's okay to do less.

He's got kids, a life, etc. so it's not like I begrudge him that, but the result isn't something I care to watch, so, whatever.
I mean, that's fair - but didn't he accomplish that by making less videos?
Of course, not putting in any effort also means less work, so :shrug:

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I don't watch his stuff anymore but I'm forever thankful for his pizza recipe. I use it regularly. Introducing me to that low moisture, whole milk string cheese to use as the cheese. I use another sauce recipe but the basics are still there.
Oh, he's definitely had some absolute bangers of recipes.

Mozerella has long been known as a cheese that's good for pizza, because when it melts it forms layers that flow on top of each other - although I believe that the science of why that happens isn't exactly very well-understood.
Still, I never realized how much of a difference low-moisture mozerella makes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DeafNote posted:

Me the European

I've only seen Europeans try to use the dumb word. although they spell it Usican.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've only seen Europeans try to use the dumb word. although they spell it Usican.

I believe the poster here is Danish so that tracks. But honestly I can't say its a term I've noticed before and it looks stupid as poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I see it and think Usain Bolt

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i have never in my entire life heard or read "usanian" until this very moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah this is the first time I've heard usanian and I do not like it.

It takes longer to say than American too, how useless.