Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Finally playing my physical deck in Master Duel, with some changes made to accommodate for differences in the banned/restricted list, and the fact that I can't afford physical copies of Pot of Prosperity. Definitely a lot of fun, and it seems to have the added benefit that Floo also has - players simply scooping when they see what you're on, rather than trying to play through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
floo simply is overpowered by its "turns opponents maxx c's into dead draws" effect

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I had the dedication to keep playing Floo, cause it's still a decent deck and if nothing else duels are fast. But man if that deck gets another hit, I'm dusting my Advents.

And the new pack is out and Konami managed to exclude the best bugs from PHHY. But there's still nice combo extenders and Ballpark support. A lot of these are N/R, too. I think the new Spider cards are worth tinkering with as well.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Selection pack:

Secret Pack:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ah, just what Evil Eyed needed, another UR. You’d think the archetype was good, or supported anything other than itself for how high rarity it’s cards are.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hi thread, I've been out of the game for a long time but downloaded Master Duel to try and recapture some of the fun I used to have without going completely broke in the process.

Will I do good if I just try and win with my favourite archetypes (Crystal Beasts, Gem Knights, Cyber Dragons/Cyberdark, Monarchs and Lightsworns) or will I eventually come up on a brick wall where I just get outmatched every single duel? I don't really want to meta-slave but I also don't really want to lose constantly either. Gather there's not much of a single player mode to this unlike Duel Links (but Duel Links format murdered CBs in cold blood so I can't countenance it).

Any advice appreciated so I don't waste my resources.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i play bad gimmick decks in Gold/lower plat all the time

also as far as F2P games go, Master Duel is really, really generous for giving out your yugibucks, the biggest brick wall is probably UR gems for crafting staples, so i'd concentrate on getting those in your deck first (e.g. 3x Maxx C, 3x Ash Blossom etc)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Crystal Beasts is a surprisingly competent control deck with the new support. I'd suggest looking up NESHY's YouTube channel if you're interested, they've had a lot of competitive success with the deck.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also dont get the generic booster packs those are a waste of money.

something the game is bad at telling you is that if you craft a SR/UR of an archetype monster which has a "secret" pack available, it'll unlock that pack for purchase, and its much better to get the boosters of an archetype you're actually interested in instead of hoping it drops from the generic packs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hi thread, I've been out of the game for a long time but downloaded Master Duel to try and recapture some of the fun I used to have without going completely broke in the process.

Will I do good if I just try and win with my favourite archetypes (Crystal Beasts, Gem Knights, Cyber Dragons/Cyberdark, Monarchs and Lightsworns) or will I eventually come up on a brick wall where I just get outmatched every single duel? I don't really want to meta-slave but I also don't really want to lose constantly either. Gather there's not much of a single player mode to this unlike Duel Links (but Duel Links format murdered CBs in cold blood so I can't countenance it).

Any advice appreciated so I don't waste my resources.

You can get pretty high with an off meta deck, idk if you can get to master with like cydra but easily get to plat with it at least, and probably diamond with enough of a grind

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Crystal Beast can jam every floodgate in the world and Super Poly and find success. Definitely agree with crafting a few sets of staples between getting the core cards for the decks you want to play. Don't be frugal with uncrafting UR's for points. And there are a surprising number of low rarity tech cards that can fill out your deck until you play more.

You probably won't be stonewalled until like upper Plat unless your deck is undercooked. But you will absolutely have games even in Bronze and Silver where you get shut down and you don't draw the out. That's just the way it is sometimes. There's always the next game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually think gold is better than bronze/silver for not running into smurfing meta-deck users, for whatever reason

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Crystal Beasts is a surprisingly competent control deck with the new support. I'd suggest looking up NESHY's YouTube channel if you're interested, they've had a lot of competitive success with the deck.

That sounds cool, I will do that, thanks! CBs are my favourites of the aforementioned as it happens.

Iserlohn posted:

Yeah, Crystal Beast can jam every floodgate in the world and Super Poly and find success. Definitely agree with crafting a few sets of staples between getting the core cards for the decks you want to play. Don't be frugal with uncrafting UR's for points. And there are a surprising number of low rarity tech cards that can fill out your deck until you play more.

Staples are, like, mostly the ones I can buy one-ofs in the special store? Lightning Storm and Forbidden Droplets and Infinite Impermanence and Ash Blossom and Solemn No, right? Are those deals worth it? And Maxx C, I gather, which isn't there. Any others?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Those staple bundles are 100% worth it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, definitely get those bundles.

Maxx C, Imperm, and Ash are always going to be playable unless you're playing a backrow deck.

Called by the Grave is usually good to play, especially if you need to make sure an effect resolves.

From there I would recommend checking out lists online or asking around to prioritize what to craft for your deck.

Other UR staples are like:

Handtraps:

Effect Veiler
Dimensional Shifter ( depends on the deck)
Nibiru (not great this format, but still playable)

Removal/Going Second:

Super Polymerization
Harpie's Feather Duster
Dark Ruler No More
Pankratops
Red Reboot

Other:

Crossout Designator (like a 3rd Called By)
Triple Tactics Talent

SR staples:

Handtraps:

The Bystials
PSY-Frame Gamma
Droll & Lock Bird (will be better later)

Removal/Going Second:

Evenly Matched
Lava Golem
Cosmic Cyclone
Twin Twisters
Dark Hole
Book of Eclipse

Other:

Pot of Prosperity/Extravagance/Desires/Duality

N/R tech cards:

Book of Moon
Forbidden Chalice
Enemy Controller
Kaiju
Retaliating "C"
Dimensional Fissure
Fiendish Chain
Phantom Knights' Fog Blade

Not exhaustive by any means and excluding generic extra deck monsters, engines, and flood gates which are usually UR/SR.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
planet pathfinder is also a great N-level staple if you happen to be running field spells

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Leaks for Master Duel: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/leaks-and-updates

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Fairies and Fiends, huh. That's one way to set up Labrynth. Would be kinda neat if you make a deck for each type and have to play the opposing type.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In addition to the maindeck staples listed above which fill out the non-combo portion of your deck there are some staple extra deck monsters that show up in a lot of decks (eg IP Masquerena, Knightmare Unicorn, Accescode Talker) because they have loose requirements to summon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Assets are already being datamined from the 5 GB update for Master Duel. Not gonna list them all off here (stay tuned to this: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/july-14-2023/master-duel-datamines) but good/funny ones include:

- Swordsoul and PUNK secret packs are confirmed (PUNK also getting sleeves)
- Red-Eyes Black Dragon has an attack animation now when it ends the duel (WHY?!)
- The column that Infinite Impermanence is set and activated on will glow blue for the turn

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TaurusOxford posted:

- The column that Infinite Impermanence is set and activated on will glow blue for the turn
Loving how Master Duel is making Konami realize how player-unfriendly so many of their mechanics actually are, that the digital version needs to include memory aids. (Aids that are, at the moment, actually illegal under current tournament rules.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I actually wish that it wouldn't highlight the imperm column, as it's intentionally testing the memory of both players and doesn't work that way irl.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TaurusOxford posted:

- Red-Eyes Black Dragon has an attack animation now when it ends the duel (WHY?!)

Anime, obviously. Are you really surprised they gave an animation to a main character from DM?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think it should work that way IRL.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It shouldn't. most decks do not play all 5 s/t zones active so the only way it would ever actually catch someone is if they forgot, which is the entire design of it. Or it's a counter for that Regularly occurring Turn 3 come back.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

King of Solomon posted:

Anime, obviously. Are you really surprised they gave an animation to a main character from DM?

Yes I know WHY it got one, but who the hell is ever gonna see it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Honestly if you let a vanilla red eyes swing for game it should force uninstall. You hosed up too hard. Gotta go back to basics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Julias posted:

I actually wish that it wouldn't highlight the imperm column, as it's intentionally testing the memory of both players and doesn't work that way irl.

i mean the game also reminds you every time you've got any sort of chainable effect and also doesn't do that irl

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Person playing a version of the game that does literally all the rules and math for you: "Man, it's so lame that the game includes this one niche memory aid. Hardcore gamers like me don't need help like that. :smugbert:"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its funny when they forget the imperm column

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Play Magical Musket and you can enjoy them forgetting columns multiple times in a duel.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They should make that a setting toggle.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright, thanks to everyone I built myself a lovely CyDra toolbox, primarily because I lucked into Megafleet when buying the staple packs, and have a CB deck developing in the background. Fought my way up to high gold and seem to be stalling out there for the minute. As far as staples I have 3x Maxx C, 2x Impermanence, and 1x Ash/Solemn/Lightning/Droplets/Called By so far. I did pick up a couple Super Polys so that I can Kaiju people with Jizukiru and then fuse it into Chimeratech Rampage instead of being forced to Contact fuse Fortress (gods, please give me Clockwork Night in this game soon), we'll see how good of a choice that is.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to ditch my long time habit of keeping Cyber Pharos around instead of using the Cyberdark Power Bond package. I didn't realise Realm could be searched by Emergency...

Supposing I just keep grinding out the solo gates for now? Does the game do events for gems and whatnot periodically? Do I want the gold Duel Pass or should I wait until I actually fill out the levels to redeem? Looks like it pays for itself if you top out at Lv100, how feasible is that?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Nyaa posted:

They should make that a setting toggle.

You should only be able to toggle it on if you keep misplaying and it should act like a mark of shame.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Threw away a win against a loving Tearlaments deck by misclicking Rampage Dragon's effect and only sending one monster to the grave gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress this is the worst feeling!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Iserlohn posted:

Predictable, but it is likely we'll be getting the slew of insect support from PHHY in the new pack. Are there any Beetrooper/Insect pile lists out there that look good? Kinda hard to find stuff post-PHHY but pre-CYAC.

I'm not sure what Master Duel is missing, but a few months ago Jesse Kotton was labbing a pretty neat Insect / PUNK deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCQzRxL675Q

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i think you're all missing what's actually going to happen, which is people playing into the lit up imperm column anyways

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Alright, thanks to everyone I built myself a lovely CyDra toolbox, primarily because I lucked into Megafleet when buying the staple packs, and have a CB deck developing in the background. Fought my way up to high gold and seem to be stalling out there for the minute. As far as staples I have 3x Maxx C, 2x Impermanence, and 1x Ash/Solemn/Lightning/Droplets/Called By so far. I did pick up a couple Super Polys so that I can Kaiju people with Jizukiru and then fuse it into Chimeratech Rampage instead of being forced to Contact fuse Fortress (gods, please give me Clockwork Night in this game soon), we'll see how good of a choice that is.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to ditch my long time habit of keeping Cyber Pharos around instead of using the Cyberdark Power Bond package. I didn't realise Realm could be searched by Emergency...

Supposing I just keep grinding out the solo gates for now? Does the game do events for gems and whatnot periodically? Do I want the gold Duel Pass or should I wait until I actually fill out the levels to redeem? Looks like it pays for itself if you top out at Lv100, how feasible is that?

I generally get the duel pass because it's both gems and crafting dust which is otherwise the biggest choke point for getting important UR cards