Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The funniest part is that the past nine months or so have been his 100% honest efforts to make Twitter profitable and they have, to a one, been miserable loving failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lumbermouth posted:

The funniest part is that the past nine months or so have been his 100% honest efforts to make Twitter profitable and they have, to a one, been miserable loving failures.
Right; he clearly thinks he knows how to make the site better and his moves do the opposite every single time

In general, Silicon Valley ‘successful’ people always come off to me as some of the dumbest people on the planet. As an example besides Musk, Jack Dorsey opted to keep equity in Twitter rather than take the large cash payout he could have received instead. He has said in the past that he believes in Musk and that’s why he kept his equity stake.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InediblePenguin posted:

He didn't really want to buy it, right? And then he got forced to in court unless i misremember? So yeah he wants to kill it out of spite. He got forced to take care of this website and he's going to do a comically bad job so it dies and that will be a lesson to you for asking him to be responsible for things! Just like abusers do

He wanted to buy twitter so he signed a contract to buy it that waived all due diligence and basically gave him no way to back out.
He immediately regretted this and spent months trying to get out.
He could not so he had to buy it.

There is no plan. He's not making GBS threads it up out of spite or being an abuser. He's just that loving stupid. He really does think that all his terrible ideas will save twitter after he drove off all the ad revenue by being himself.

Again: twitter didn't trick him into buying it. He gave them a hilariously overpriced offer(when their stock was already at an alltime high) and then regretted signing the contract almost immediately after.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Jul 14, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

InediblePenguin posted:

He didn't really want to buy it, right? And then he got forced to in court unless i misremember? So yeah he wants to kill it out of spite. He got forced to take care of this website and he's going to do a comically bad job so it dies and that will be a lesson to you for asking him to be responsible for things! Just like abusers do

Yeah, my take is that he was just trying to gently caress around with the stock price like the usual "gonna buy all this stock at $420 lolol jkjk (unless...)" shenanigans, but hosed up and basically got stuck with the extremely stupid purchase he never expected to actually do. Everything after is his flapping around trying to figure out how to deal with that recurring $1B repayment that Twitter couldn't possibly provide, except he's just exceptionally loving stupid. He's a great hype man to act as a public face, but has absolutely no idea what to do when he's actually making the decisions, and has no idea what the actual consequences of his actions will be because he usually never actually has any.

Oops, All Terrible Ideas!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
He's also pretty clearly hosed up on probably a candy store's worth of drugs at any time, on top of being a delusional insecure manchild and near open nazi wallowing in an echo chamber of fellow loser freaks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You really can just find+replace anything people have wondered about Trump running America with "Musk" and "Twitter". It's hard to comprehend that level of incompetence and we think there must be some secret strategy, but they're really just that vain and just that bad at doing anything that requires actual ingenuity.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
It will never not be funny that he made blue-checked bots possible after complaining so much about the number of bots in the site.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Yeah, I'll accept this alternate take into my worldview

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For situations like this I prefer to use Occam’s Razor, and it seems obvious to me that what we want to explain as a conspiracy is far more likely just Elon being an overconfident dumbass who thinks he can do anything because he’s mostly succeeded with his previous business ventures.

That's not at all inconsistent with what I said. Elon could be the textbook useful idiot for elements of Saudi and Russian governments.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sir Lemming posted:

You really can just find+replace anything people have wondered about Trump running America with "Musk" and "Twitter". It's hard to comprehend that level of incompetence and we think there must be some secret strategy, but they're really just that vain and just that bad at doing anything that requires actual ingenuity.

Not so, Trump never paid money to dismantle the country. His family made money on the whole, or at least Kushner did.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 14, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You got to respect Warner Brothers for doing everything possible to make sure the Flash fails as hard as possible.

The last time a studio owned themselves this hard is when the internet gaslit a studio into releasing Morbius again only for it to flop again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You got to respect Warner Brothers for doing everything possible to make sure the Flash fails as hard as possible.

The last time a studio owned themselves this hard is when the internet gaslit a studio into releasing Morbius again only for it to flop again

They pushed it to the point where it looks so bad I'm very curious to see how bad but also that is not an impulse that gets me to the theater either.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's giving the studio too much credit. The Morbius thing was more like them reading hundreds upon thousands of memes and NOT ONCE realizing they were being ironic and that people genuinely wanted to see this movie again.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I guess Tesla and SpaceX succeeded because electric cars and space rockets meet two important criteria:
  • They're something a sufficient number of adults are truly excited to work on, so much so that they will humour the techbro holding the money.
  • They're sufficiently obviously not tech, so the techbro will mostly let the battery chemists and process engineers and rocket scientists do their thing.
Twitter is neither of those and to top it off, it's loaded up to its eyeballs with debt.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess Tesla and SpaceX succeeded because electric cars and space rockets meet two important criteria:
  • They're something a sufficient number of adults are truly excited to work on, so much so that they will humour the techbro holding the money.
  • They're sufficiently obviously not tech, so the techbro will mostly let the battery chemists and process engineers and rocket scientists do their thing.
Twitter is neither of those and to top it off, it's loaded up to its eyeballs with debt.

Twitter was both of those things and had a lot of passionate and talented people working on it.

People Elon immediately fired because they were too 'woke'.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You think electric cars and space rockets are "obviously not tech"?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Tesla wasn't profitable from selling cars. It made most of its money from selling carbon credits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Terrible Opinions posted:

Tesla wasn't profitable from selling cars. It made most of its money from selling carbon credits.

Basically the same with SpaceX. It only exists because of government handouts.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

SpaceX has a bunch of people to keep Elon away from real decisions. But sometimes he does get his way and then you get their last rocket launch lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jul 14, 2023

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Tesla was founded by people who aren’t Musk, who only bought in later and used his wealth to leverage control away from the founder. You’ll notice they are having issues making a new model or refreshing an existing model, as most anybody with any talent for that has quit to either found another car company (Lucid) or just work for one. It’s why they suddenly signed everybody up to use and access their charging connector, the supercharger network is pretty much the only valuable asset they have left.

SpaceX is more something he was involved with from the start, but I’d look at Gwynne Shotwell as the person who likely built the company and lead to almost all its successes. I hope history treats her more kindly than the present is, she’s been an absolute driver of space related progress.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I assume by "not tech" they mean not IT, and not something a keyboard warrior assumes they'd automatically be good at. In a sense, Twitter is easier to ruin because there aren't really any fundamental physical rules to how it must work. It's not like he could tell Tesla to just delete the wheels off the cars. Although now that they're established, it does seem like he's finding new and unique ways to ruin those too.

Meanwhile with SpaceX, it's not like any of us could really even tell if that's going well or not. It's something most of us have never even come close to being involved in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

Tesla was founded by people who aren’t Musk, who only bought in later and used his wealth to leverage control away from the founder. You’ll notice they are having issues making a new model or refreshing an existing model, as most anybody with any talent for that has quit to either found another car company (Lucid) or just work for one. It’s why they suddenly signed everybody up to use and access their charging connector, the supercharger network is pretty much the only valuable asset they have left.
Come on, don’t be disingenuous. Tesla cars are genuinely among the best and most popular EVs on the market. They outsold everyone else by an order of a magnitude this year. And Musk obviously has a lot to do with that success, even if he’s not an engineer. The co-founders left nearly a decade before Tesla’s first successful car came out. They’re opening their supercharger network only because the government is throwing mountains of money at them for it.

Musk is an idiot out of his depth at Twitter and I personally would never buy a Tesla. You don’t have to make poo poo up to dislike the guy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EoRaptor posted:

SpaceX is more something he was involved with from the start, but I’d look at Gwynne Shotwell as the person who likely built the company and lead to almost all its successes. I hope history treats her more kindly than the present is, she’s been an absolute driver of space related progress.
the person who works on moon shots is named Goin Shot Well

the script writers for reality keep getting lazier

also having never heard of her, she sounds cool

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

5TonsOfFlax posted:

You think electric cars and space rockets are "obviously not tech"?

Yeah, I should have been more specific and said "consumer-oriented online services", which seems to constitute the bulk of what is considered "tech" these days

Twitter is a consumer-oriented online service (like PayPal!) whereas Tesla and SpaceX both involved a considerable amount of manufacturing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
These posts are gonna make me look like I'm defending their shithead in charge and I own neither their cars nor their stock :mad:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Tesla has been profitable without regulatory credits since sometime in 2021. I think the current contribution of credits to their profits is about 15%.

EoRaptor posted:

It’s why they suddenly signed everybody up to use and access their charging connector, the supercharger network is pretty much the only valuable asset they have left.

This is also a strange interpretation of what's been happening. Tesla made their charging plug/standard available to anyone who wants to use it years ago. Back then no other carmaker gave a poo poo about electric cars and only made compliance vehicles, so nobody adopted it. Now they finally realized a reliable charging network is also necessary to sell non-poo poo cars, so they suddenly decided to start adopting it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I think space aliens told himt o buy Twitter

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Trabant posted:

Tesla has been profitable without regulatory credits since sometime in 2021. I think the current contribution of credits to their profits is about 15%.
That's over a decade of existing purely on corporate welfare. It wasn't a success down to either of the reasons listed. It was a success because the government bankrolling it for years.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 15, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I must have hallucinated all those Teslas catching fire, driving into parked cars, and falling apart while brand new because of how shittily they are made.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mycatscrimes posted:

I must have hallucinated all those Teslas catching fire, driving into parked cars, and falling apart while brand new because of how shittily they are made.
But they're expensive and have some fancy electronics in them, that must mean they're good!! :piss:

Incidentally, it's extremely funny seeing Tesla stans rush into the comments of any news post about Teslas catching fire/deciding to run over a pedestrian for no reason/etc to scream about how it's actually fine and people just don't understand the price of innovation/are being too mean to brain genius Musk/etc. Twitter dying will probably reduce the amount of that I see, unfortunately. :911:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Trabant posted:

These posts are gonna make me look like I'm defending their shithead in charge and I own neither their cars nor their stock :mad:

This is also a strange interpretation of what's been happening. Tesla made their charging plug/standard available to anyone who wants to use it years ago. Back then no other carmaker gave a poo poo about electric cars and only made compliance vehicles, so nobody adopted it. Now they finally realized a reliable charging network is also necessary to sell non-poo poo cars, so they suddenly decided to start adopting it.

One of the things Tesla deserves genuine credit for is, basically, actually trying to get electric cars to take off, rather than the bedgrudging, deliberately terrible projects thus far to cement them as weird hippie poo poo that doesn't work for real people. They made them cool, cutting-edge and desirable over obsolete gas-guzzlers, and pushed them hard so it's possible to actually buy them. (Been stories of how if you go to a dealership and ask for an electric car they will do everything possible to stop you) Making a freely available plug standard seems like it'd be a key part of that, similar to how mobile phones and other electronics used to be a hellscape of different plugs until the industry was forced to settle on some standards.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Musk/Tesla is paying off a whole bunch of people in Vegas because they're actually adding a whole bunch of miles to the stupid loving death tunnel instead of building an actual subway or extending the monorail.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Been stories of how if you go to a dealership and ask for an electric car they will do everything possible to stop you)

A large part of my work involves reading editorials within the auto dealer industry, and this is about to change in a very big way. The people up top are pushing EV sales as the next big thing. (And they all hate Tesla for selling their own cars instead of going through the dealer system.)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Come on, don’t be disingenuous. Tesla cars are genuinely among the best and most popular EVs on the market.

Most popular, yes. Best, no.

You have way too much faith in humanity if you think popular proves good.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol at giving Elon Musk any credit for tesla's success. Well I guess maybe the money he spent to buy his way in was maybe used at some point to build a car. He's basically Iron Man if you think about it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Haifisch posted:

But they're expensive and have some fancy electronics in them, that must mean they're good!! :piss:

Incidentally, it's extremely funny seeing Tesla stans rush into the comments of any news post about Teslas catching fire/deciding to run over a pedestrian for no reason/etc to scream about how it's actually fine and people just don't understand the price of innovation/are being too mean to brain genius Musk/etc. Twitter dying will probably reduce the amount of that I see, unfortunately. :911:

My boss's mom-in-law is a giant Tesla stan (not Musk himself, specifically the Tesla company) and apparently whenever he tried to show her news articles of the cars catching on fire, she just waved him off with "Well, those are just OPINIONS". :sigh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's also pretty clearly hosed up on probably a candy store's worth of drugs at any time, on top of being a delusional insecure manchild and near open nazi wallowing in an echo chamber of fellow loser freaks.

People are also noticing the split with Grimes seems to have affected him. In particular getting more and more anti-trans after his ex started dating Chelsea Manning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of Chelsea I guess she quietly left Twitter at the end of last year.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Biplane posted:

Lol at giving Elon Musk any credit for tesla's success. Well I guess maybe the money he spent to buy his way in was maybe used at some point to build a car. He's basically Iron Man if you think about it

Tony Stark at least builds tech himself and has it actually function.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Maxwell Lord posted:

People are also noticing the split with Grimes seems to have affected him. In particular getting more and more anti-trans after his ex started dating Chelsea Manning.

One of his kids also transitioned and used it to give him a big public "gently caress you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the things Tesla deserves genuine credit for is, basically, actually trying to get electric cars to take off, rather than the bedgrudging, deliberately terrible projects thus far to cement them as weird hippie poo poo that doesn't work for real people. They made them cool, cutting-edge and desirable over obsolete gas-guzzlers, and pushed them hard so it's possible to actually buy them. (Been stories of how if you go to a dealership and ask for an electric car they will do everything possible to stop you) Making a freely available plug standard seems like it'd be a key part of that, similar to how mobile phones and other electronics used to be a hellscape of different plugs until the industry was forced to settle on some standards.

As if this is even a good thing. On a raw MPGe factor EVs certainly are "cleaner" but spending so many resources making EVs viable versus making private transport more expensive and spending those resources on public transport is a huge miss. It's the prime reason I've always disliked Tesla because it's sold as this way to help us fight climate change when it just further entrenches the core problems we have.