Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nanomachines?!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Lobok posted:

There's a movie that came out in '77 that did pretty well by mixing magic and spaceships.

That's not precisely how I would describe Eraserhead but you're not wrong.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Final Fantasy IV: Aliens lived on a planet between Mars and Jupiter until it exploded and they all came to Earth, but it was occupied so they made a second moon and are in suspended animation until the two species can co-exist

My only objection is that I think the second moon was actually the Lunarians starship.

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm currently playing through this, and from what I gather the fal'cie are basically divine beings who bestow all of the tech (along with everything else, including basic needs like food and shelter) to humans. There might be humans who carry themselves as scientists, but it's essentially aliens treating humans like pets. Or raising them like livestock.

The Fal'Cie are literally divine machines - XIII-2 confirms this by mentioning that the artificial Fal'Cie Hope tried to build reused some memory modules from Eden.

Stranger of Paradise also calls them Divine Machines.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I have always had A Thing for crossdressing pirate queens, so the second she opened her mouth I was all "Oh hey, sup Mary Read?"

IRL the truth only came out after Ann Bonny tried to have sex with her. Pirates are fun.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
A supporting character is technically not a Little Thing, but dammit, the dog Missile in Ghost Trick is the absolutely cutest!

Nameless Pete posted:

I have always had A Thing for crossdressing pirate queens, so the second she opened her mouth I was all "Oh hey, sup Mary Read?"

IRL the truth only came out after Ann Bonny tried to have sex with her. Pirates are fun.

In the next year or so, I'm getting a tattoo of an Anne Bonny-type pirate lady. :yeshaha:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Of course he is, he's Missile!

Seriously, he's the dog drat best.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I just got the best little things in games ever! I bought Chronos: Before the Ashes because it was on sale for under ten bux. It looked like another Dark Souls clone; ok by me, they are usually worth it for at the cheap price point. I start playing, and I just know the controls and parry/dodge timing like I had played it before. I also recognize the character, and then something clicks when I get to a computer that mentions The Sleeper.

HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE SAME WORLD AS REMNANT: FROM THE ASHES.

I had no Idea! I literally googled the company and saw they made Remnant, then googled that and come to find out this game is a prequel of some sort. I stopped reading because I didn’t wanna spoil anything, but I was so excited!

Y’all, for me this was like buying a bargain-bin game hoping it would be fun for just a few hours to justify its price, and then finding out its like, a Zelda game or something you never heard about.

Gonna whoop some Root rear end all weekend, which will probably turn into more Remnant playing that I had wanted to do anyways in preparation for the sequel coming out, which will roll into actually buying and playing the sequel.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marcade posted:

Of course he is, he's Missile!

Seriously, he's the dog drat best.

Missile is the best and his theme slaps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nsoTT5wK0

He is a good dog. He is the best boy.

He waited. Because that’s what good doggies do. :unsmith:

Bussamove has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Jul 14, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bussamove posted:

Missile is the best and his theme slaps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nsoTT5wK0

He is a good dog. He is the best boy.

He waited. Because that’s what good doggies do. :unsmith:

When I first played Ghost Trick and Missile started slamming into the door to try to get out of the apartment I genuinely thought that was how he was going to die, concussing himself to death trying to help. Thank god THAT didn't happen.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’ve been playing Street Fighter EX3 and it has some real odd characters, a few of which seem to fight against the Fighting Game trope of martial arts and big flashy attacks. I always love when there are characters in fighting games that don’t seem to fit in or play by the Fighting Game™️ rules.

One fighter is Sharon and her Level 3 super is AK-47. She just pulls out a rifle and shoots the fuckin opponent.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel kind of amazed I went this long without knowing Obra Dinn has an eye-searing greenscale mode, and I can’t imagine playing it any other way.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Dewgy posted:

I feel kind of amazed I went this long without knowing Obra Dinn has an eye-searing greenscale mode, and I can’t imagine playing it any other way.

Obra Dinn received a ton of critical and audience acclaim, and it's still underrated.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In Wasteland 3 you get a temporary +4 penetration bonus for loving a sheep

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dewgy posted:

Lol, I forgot it wasn't like that normally. It just feels right, like the best Apple IIc game that never existed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've never even played it and that's the only footage I've seen of it. That's incredible.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

I've never even played it and that's the only footage I've seen of it. That's incredible.

The default is closer to a B&W Apple monitor, but there’s a few modes all named after different display types.

Macintosh:

:swoon: IBM 5151 :swoon:

https://in.ign.com/the-return-of-the-obra-dinn/129376/gallery/every-color-palette-in-return-of-the-obra-dinn?p=1

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

In Wasteland 3 you get a temporary +4 penetration bonus for loving a sheep

Sounds like that's a bonus you'd want beforehand

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Read After Burning posted:

A supporting character is technically not a Little Thing, but dammit, the dog Missile in Ghost Trick is the absolutely cutest!

An actual Little Thing about Missile: that's Shu Takami's dog IRL

Dude loved his dog so much he put him in a video game

Two video games actually! He's also in the Ace Attorney series

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Metroid Fitzgerald posted:

An actual Little Thing about Missile: that's Shu Takami's dog IRL

Dude loved his dog so much he put him in a video game

Two video games actually! He's also in the Ace Attorney series

Ha, I actually know him first from the first Ace Attorney game, so seeing him in GT was :dance:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the boss in Syndicate (360) where you have no weapons so have to hack all of his missiles to both survive and defeat him. That's fun.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Resistance: Fall of Man has a really nice looking instruction manual.

I also like the 'chunk'-based health system for striking a good balance between regenerating heath and having a set number of hit points.

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Jul 16, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the boss in Syndicate (360) where you have no weapons so have to hack all of his missiles to both survive and defeat him. That's fun.

Syndicate 2012 was actually really good

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mamkute posted:

I also like the 'chunk'-based health system for striking a good balance between regenerating heath and having a set number of hit points.

I like the "chunk" system, too. I'll call it that from now on!

Far Cry 2 benefited from the chunk system, especially with the ad hoc surgery needed when you got below 2 bars and ran out of syrettes. Were they syrettes, or syringes? Anyways, I really liked how that worked. Up to a certain point, you could just take cover for a moment to heal. After that, you had to make a choice to expose yourself to run further away or chance a long animation to pull off a minimum heal while under fire. Done correctly, this made for some tense moments.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Medal of Honor: Airborne did the chunk system too and I’ve loved it ever since.

The Halo 1 system where you had regenerating shields and then hp that could only be healed by medpacks was also good, I was surprised when they moved away from it in 2 and 3.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mamkute posted:

I wish more games did basically anything other than the most generic CoD-style regenerating health. Chunk system is neat, Halo 1 had the split health, old school games had HP and armor.

madeintaipei posted:

I like the "chunk" system, too. I'll call it that from now on!

Far Cry 2 benefited from the chunk system, especially with the ad hoc surgery needed when you got below 2 bars and ran out of syrettes. Were they syrettes, or syringes? Anyways, I really liked how that worked. Up to a certain point, you could just take cover for a moment to heal. After that, you had to make a choice to expose yourself to run further away or chance a long animation to pull off a minimum heal while under fire. Done correctly, this made for some tense moments.

Done incorrectly, well... The obligatory.

Though for real, the later Far Cry games don't do a particularly good job of it. You get multiple health chunks but damage is usually way too high and you need to skill up your minimum regeneration threshold and/or your freebie first aid heal so you just end up spamming medkits instead. And they know it, because they dump medkits anywhere you're due for a protracted engagement.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Jul 16, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the multiple layers of characterisation for the silent protagonist - he's a brainwashed company man who can't even imagine a society outside of the company system, and the chapter headings are all his inner monolog, like "Why do they keep on fighting?" because he's otherwise a blank slate and whenever he makes a decision the firmware in his head acts like it was a mechanical fault because he's not supposed to do that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress yeah, it was. You can't even buy it now for some reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

sebmojo posted:

gently caress yeah, it was. You can't even buy it now for some reason.

That's why I like physical copies of games, it may be off the xbox live marketplace, but I was able to get a used copy from CEX.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You might be able to get it for PC through the EA/Origin store. That's where I got mine.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just wish the coop servers were still up. Its backwards compatible so you can play it on xbox one. But i think everyone said the servers are gone

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was going to post some snarky thing about like, the only Syndicate I know is this Bullfrog one, but only then did I discover they're related??

I've never even heard of this Syndicate wtf

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It is pretty weird isn't it? Like if they made a god of war clone based off of Populous and it was actually pretty high budget and decent for what it was, but the world collectively decided to forget about it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Chad Jihad posted:

It is pretty weird isn't it? Like if they made a god of war clone based off of Populous and it was actually pretty high budget and decent for what it was, but the world collectively decided to forget about it

I think it got hurt by a group of very loud posters saying it was bad as soon as they saw it was a FPS and not like the original game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's peak mid 00s, lens flare for days, but it leans so hard into it that it is kind of adorable.

Looks like it might have been delisted because of securom? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Mac-Client-Technical/Syndicate-2012-Removed/m-p/10584514

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thought nuSyndicate was pretty fun. I remember my girlfriend at the time thinking I was completely messed up for laughing my rear end off when you get the ability to force enemy goons to kill themselves. Wish it got a remaster or something for newer hardware.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Imagine if they took God of War, then made a game that had nothing in common with God of War but still used the title

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In system shock (remake), eating snacks leaves behind a wrapper in your inventory which you can vaporize for a tiny amount of recyclable scrap.

bottles of alcohol do not leave anything behind. nice and crunchy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Syndicate also was during the time when multiplayer modes were bolted onto anything and everything, no one played it, and so immediately that mode became dead weight for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Len posted:

I think it got hurt by a group of very loud posters saying it was bad as soon as they saw it was a FPS and not like the original game

I thought it was bad because it had the worst bloom that I had ever seen at the time, and I couldn't turn it off. A game giving me a headache through its graphics was enough to make me stop playing, which sucks because I did like the gameplay :/