Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It's taking a lot to get used to the aiming clicks. I keep clicking on the body part icons and accidentally popping off a shot because they look like they are a selection rather than the shoot button.

There is a bunch of issues I have with the UI, hopefully they go over it and patch it soon.

On top of my head, the "click to show movement" annoys me a lot, the "selection" menu when aiming got me once or twice, and finally the inventory just flat out sucks. Not being able to tab through my mercs when holding a piece of equipment sucks, sometimes not being able to replace a 2-square gun into inventory for a 1 square thingy (I think this boils down to which of the squares of the multisquare object you clicked, and how that then tetrises into the inventory? I haven't tested it too much) suuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh that one review was right, there is some surprisingly good music in this game.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

According to Steam reviews this game has terrible performance, is there anything to that? I have a fairly good machine and don't care about getting 200 frames per second on the maximum settings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Diogines posted:

According to Steam reviews this game has terrible performance, is there anything to that? I have a fairly good machine and don't care about getting 200 frames per second on the maximum settings.

Jack Trades posted:

Turning down View Distance and Object Detail helps a lot and so does turning on DLSS (or FSR or XeSS) with a lower Resolution Percent.
Neither of those impact visual quality much.

This will fix the performance with little to no drawbacks.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Diogines posted:

(German but you'll get the gist) https://www.computerbase.de/2023-07/jagged-alliance-3-benchmark-test/

Renderer is quite unoptimized, 40fps 1080p on a 6700XT is :sadface:
Also the ingame SMAA sucks very badly, always use the fancy upscalers in High Quality/Ultra Quality mode to get AA.
Native res 'upscaler' may or may not be buggy atm, just use ultra quality for peace of mind.
Might wanna dial down shadows and the other usual suspects a bit, but textures last ofc.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 14, 2023

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Thank you very much!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Reflections are what hurts my frames the most. Reflections on Ultra would drop me to 35fps, setting it to Medium jumped me back up to 100+. Changing any other setting between Off and Max had almost no impact on my FPS.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Those reflections are very ugly too. I just turned them off.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Reflections are what hurts my frames the most. Reflections on Ultra would drop me to 35fps, setting it to Medium jumped me back up to 100+. Changing any other setting between Off and Max had almost no impact on my FPS.

Yeah turning down reflections gives you 20 FPS for pretty much nothing

sauer kraut posted:

(German but you'll get the gist) https://www.computerbase.de/2023-07/jagged-alliance-3-benchmark-test/

Renderer is quite unoptimized, 40fps 1080p on a 6700XT is :sadface:
Also the ingame SMAA sucks very badly, always use the fancy upscalers in High Quality/Ultra Quality mode to get AA.
Native res 'upscaler' may or may not be buggy atm, just use ultra quality for peace of mind.
Might wanna dial down shadows and the other usual suspects a bit, but textures last ofc.

I get 60-90 FPS on a 5700XT @ 1080p with everything on Ultra except Reflections on Medium

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Highly recommend everyone hire Blood this guy is a monster - infinite throwing knives with enough stats to almost never miss stealth knife throws targeted at the throat is pretty absurd. I've been able to clear several maps without being spotted using him alone

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 14, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
We’re back baby!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ah, reflections it is then. I don't have the game yet to mess around with settings myself.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I do apreciate that the early enemies are Goons.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ran out of meds, all my mercs have numerous wounds from accidentally bumbling into a minefield, and a diamond shipment army showed up with a reinforcement army a few turns behind.
:suspense:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Anybody on an older rig have a trip report?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
My PC is pretty old, but still holding it's own, I7 4790k with a Geforce 980. Game runs fine, 60fps, most settings on medium, 1080p
Also seconding Blood being insanely good (at least on the starting island which I'm still at)

The Donut fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 14, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aaaah one of the graphics settings is causing the screen to flicker constantly and I can't work out which one it is and for the first time ever playing video games I'm legit worried this will trigger an epileptic fit.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Alchenar posted:

Aaaah one of the graphics settings is causing the screen to flicker constantly and I can't work out which one it is and for the first time ever playing video games I'm legit worried this will trigger an epileptic fit.

G-sync monitor maybe? Try turning off or on vsync

I had to disable g-sync in the Nvidia control panel on the monitor to fix it in something

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

The Donut posted:

My PC is pretty old, but still holding it's own, I7 4790k with a Geforce 980. Game runs fine, 60fps, most settings on medium, 1080p
Also seconding Blood being insanely good (at least on the starting island which I'm still at)

That's pretty much my rig so that's great to hear, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress, can someone explain stealth kills or shooting someone out of combat for me? I'm playing in Iron Man and I'm getting a little frustrated with flubbing an ambush just because I don't understand how to, say, enter turned based mode outside of combat.

I had Wolf waiting with a double barrel behind a ladder ,and when the enemy climbed down I fumbled with the attack UI for a couple seconds until he was spotted. Felt bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My first playthrough I tried to clear the island first before getting a diamond mine. My merc contracts brought me in to the road and I have $-100 so I can't even pay for a boat to the mainland to get a diamond mine. Is this run screwed? Ann way out or should I restart and get the diamond mine faster?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Stealth is HARD. How am I supposed to do anything when I can't move bodies, especially when takedown require like 3 clicks and can miss lol

Also, how many mercs am I expected to have? I've got 4 and every enemy party is like 8+ on the mainland, with no spaces to move between them

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That IMP code goof is really, really good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

gently caress, can someone explain stealth kills or shooting someone out of combat for me? I'm playing in Iron Man and I'm getting a little frustrated with flubbing an ambush just because I don't understand how to, say, enter turned based mode outside of combat.

I had Wolf waiting with a double barrel behind a ladder ,and when the enemy climbed down I fumbled with the attack UI for a couple seconds until he was spotted. Felt bad.

You've pretty much got it figured out. If you kill the enemy without alerting any other enemies, combat does not start. If enemies get alerted, combat starts. I don't think there's a way to start turn-based combat without alerting enemies.

Make sure you're pressing H to enter stealth mode so enemies are less likely to spot you - but in a situation where they're right next to you you don't really have a choice, you're going to get spotted if they look at you. You can get surprisingly close before they spot you if you're in stealth mode and there's a pretty obvious tell when they start to spot you (you just need to move out of LoS before they get alerted which seems to take several seconds).

e: I've been racking up easy stealth kills with throwing knives Just throw a knife at an enemy's throat when no other enemies are looking at them, that's all it takes unless the knife doesn't kill them :shrug: Haven't run into issues with bodies being spotted because I'm not waiting for anyone to patrol around, I'm just sneaking around throwing knives at them all and using grenades when there's more than one of them.

e2: Also worth noting that your characters can stay hidden even after combat starts, which allows them to pull of stealth kills inside of combat. Use one merc to distract them then have the rest flank from behind and stealth kill with knives.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 14, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, well, it's ridiculous that I can't say "hey, everyone line up a shot before the firefight starts", but at least I'm not overlooking a game mechanic.

Did I over look some way to buy my mercenaries some guns before embarking on this regime change adventure? I think I'm about to suffer a total party to wipe to assholes with assault rifles because I'm over here plinking with pistols. Relatedly, is there some sort of loot screen I'm missing after battles? I've killed multiple enemies that have guns I'd like, but all I've looted after capturing the first village were some pants and some meds, not all bodies were lootable.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Burns posted:

I do apreciate that the early enemies are Goons.

Goons in Platoons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of the engineers you can hire at the start has an actual single-shot rifle and you can find another on the tower in the second map. You can find three more in a mass grave on another early map but you'll take a morale hit for looting it.

I restarted after a couple hours and the biggest tip I picked up to make the early game easier when I did this is that knives are extremely good and you can generally do a lot more by rushing enemies with knives than you can by plinking away with pistols.

e: I will reiterate that Blood (one of the Veteran level mercs) is extremely pro-hire at the start despite his high cost. His knives can be thrown infinite times without needing to retrieve them, he has great accuracy and very high stealth skills. He's a good intro to how stealth works because of how drat good he is at it, and he's still an extremely good knife fighter if stealth breaks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 14, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is anyone playing with the chance to hit mod? Have you appreciated how range affects the hit chance?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

G-sync monitor maybe? Try turning off or on vsync

I had to disable g-sync in the Nvidia control panel on the monitor to fix it in something

That absolutely was it. Thank you very much.

Might be worth adding some graphics settings tips to the OP given how finickity the game is.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 14, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Welp, total party wipe. Thems the breaks in Iron Man I guess. If I screw up like that again, that's going to be game.

Edit: Yup, lost them too. You don't actually get any sort of game over or resolution, that's a little disappointing.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 14, 2023

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDFpkDr6pTs&t=1092s

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How's the co-op?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I just reached one of the mines and in movie terms the game just switched from Commando to Schindler's List. Real dark.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Issaries posted:

So anyone done G8 sector?
Im stuck at
There should be a treasure at the abandoned Mansion (G8) AND there's an underground level, but I can't find neither.
There's a suspicious looking cellar door at the front left side of the building, but I can't use it.
Also I really hate the mines.

Inspect the hippos in the fountain

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Elevation and cover makes a huge difference in this game too. Cover isn't like xcom where there's low cover and high cover, the bullets are physically simulated and if they hit any piece of cover they get stopped, so minimizing your exposure to enemies makes a gigantic difference.

The more I play this game the more I like the combat. It feels like a legitimate strategy game where you're making the best decisions possible based on incomplete information - mostly just what you can infer visually from the environment, not from the UI. It didn't totally click for me until a couple hours in (and I restarted when I did) but when you get the hang of it it's a lot of fun and it feels more rewarding than most tactical strategy games where you just pick what tiles to move to and who to shoot based on what numbers the UI shows you when you hover your mouse over them.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Just so people know

You don't have to hold back on Pierre, he surrenders normally. Then you have a choice to kill him or not. Don't be like me and shoot him 5 times in the balls, hoping he will surrender normally.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

DropTheAnvil posted:

Just so people know

You don't have to hold back on Pierre, he surrenders normally. Then you have a choice to kill him or not. Don't be like me and shoot him 5 times in the balls, hoping he will surrender normally.

I just Sniped him in the head before talking to him for a really fast surrender.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I did the usual strat of picking high wisdom mercs thanks to their potential, but goddamn if MD and Livewire aren't testing my patience with the misses they're making. Dude was literally right in front of you and you had a pistol, lady!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Ran out of meds, all my mercs have numerous wounds from accidentally bumbling into a minefield, and a diamond shipment army showed up with a reinforcement army a few turns behind.
:suspense:

Okay, so that entire reinforcing army of 7 was deleted by Barry with a single shaped charge before combat began.

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Okay, so that entire reinforcing army of 7 was deleted by Barry with a single shaped charge before combat began.

:supaburn:

:stonk: 'iz terrible!