Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm a barbarian so I have some IKEA old fashioned glasses I use for almost everything, and if it has a bunch of ice and/or is a giant tiki drink I dump it in a pint glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cocktail kingdom cut 20g of weight from their boston shaker sets and their newer styles of hawthorne are noticably thinner metal than the original designs they started with. At one point I has a set of shakers circa 2015 in my hands and a new season from 2021 at the same time and the quality difference was extremely noticablle. I've stopped buying bar tools from them, other companies make better stuff.

20g was nearly a 25% weight reduction and made them way shitter to handle.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Rec some plastic cocktail glasses that are p. swanky, for outdoor use. I need something for sippin by the (no glass) pool. I was thinking like some stemless wine glasses maybe? Just regular gasses, no coupes or anything (drinks with ice). I plan to have a hydroflask of something and a bag of ice and I’ll just pour into it.

was considering metal for insulation against the sun, but the aesthetic of something clear would be better. Maybe a middle ground option?

price is whatever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Rec some plastic cocktail glasses that are p. swanky, for outdoor use. I need something for sippin by the (no glass) pool. I was thinking like some stemless wine glasses maybe? Just regular gasses, no coupes or anything (drinks with ice). I plan to have a hydroflask of something and a bag of ice and I’ll just pour into it.

was considering metal for insulation against the sun, but the aesthetic of something clear would be better. Maybe a middle ground option?

price is whatever

Get on Amazon and find wine glasses made of Tritan. They are unbreakable under normal use, flex a little bit and don’t develop cracks overtime like acrylic (what most non-disposable plastic wine glasses are made of)

You could also find them at TJ Maxx, HomeGoods and other discount stores

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 7, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there anything I should look for as far as insulation, or just drink faster?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I haven’t seen any that are double walled or insulated or anything

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow, that’s a big disappointment about cocktail kingdom

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cocktail Kingdom sells a number of a shaker tins and hawthorne strainers. Is there a particular one you are complaining about?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not sure what brand they are but I got a ton of use out of my plastic double old fashioned glasses. (lemon not pictured)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Get on Amazon and find wine glasses made of Tritan. They are unbreakable under normal use, flex a little bit and don’t develop cracks overtime like acrylic (what most non-disposable plastic wine glasses are made of)
Yeah, I've been using Tritan highball, old fashioned, martini, and Nick and Nora glasses for a few years and they've held up very well.

Edit: Wait. There are multiple materials called Tritan and I'm apparently talking about the other one.

SubG fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 8, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hard Strong highball glasses were well worth the investment for me. I’ve had one bounce off a hardwood floor and come out fine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have some highball glasses and tiki style coups both made by Libbey that I really like, unfortunately I have broken 1/6 of the highballs and 3/4 of the coups because I am a clumsy oaf! I ordered all of the Viski stuff to replace my losses and diversify a bit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah, I've been using Tritan highball, old fashioned, martini, and Nick and Nora glasses for a few years and they've held up very well.

Edit: Wait. There are multiple materials called Tritan and I'm apparently talking about the other one.

Oh yeah, I’m talking about the plastic. I totally forgot there was a line of crystal ware that used the same name. I have no idea how that happened trademark-wise

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

As long as we’re sharing drinkware, I try to only buy single glasses instead of sets. Very few of my glasses are identical, and the idea is that when I throw parties nobody will mistake someone else’s glass for their own. Of course that makes it a bitch to find a replacement if a guest accidentally breaks a glass, as some of these are discontinued or I’ll forget where I got it from

Some of them were $1.50, some were $40

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am in the market for a tiki mug and not sure where to get one that won't break immediately.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

I am in the market for a tiki mug and not sure where to get one that won't break immediately.

tikifarms
tikilandtrading
muntiki

ebay.

Tikifarms are pretty good. If you really want to play the game, buy 2 of any of the ones you like, wait for them to go out of print, then sell on ebay for what you paid for 2. I don't do this, but have considered it. I just don't want to deal w/ ebay any more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I know the ingredient lists for a couple cocktails I've had and really liked, but I have no idea what the proportions are. What would y'all guess?
  1. Dark rum, Port, Lillet Blanc
  2. Añejo tequila, triple sec, creme de cacao

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I had Clase Azul Anejo last night and it was good but not $1500/bottle good.

We sipped it first and then I made some fresh sweet and sour mix for the most expensive margarita I’ve ever had.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I know the ingredient lists for a couple cocktails I've had and really liked, but I have no idea what the proportions are. What would y'all guess?

How were they served? On the rocks, up (cold and in a stemmed glass without ice, like a martini), long (including bubbles and in a tall glass)? You’ll get pretty wildly different “specs” (recipes/ratios) depending on the intended serving style.

Are you sure there weren’t any other ingredients? If these ingredient lists came from a bar’s menu, they often leave out a couple things—in particular, neither of those contain either a sour or bitter component (unless you count the Lillet, and I don’t), and you usually need at least one of those to keep all the sweet ingredients listed in balance. Were they cloudy or clear? What color were they?

What were their names? Some names include a drink category (sour/smash/fix/cobbler/etc, etc) so they can give hints about specs too.

We can take guesses but it’ll be easier with a little more info.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 10, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Both are bar cocktails served up. The first was served in a highball glass and was about the color you'd expect from mixing the ingredients I know; the second was served in a champagne coupe and port-colored. I don't remember the name of the first one, but I doubt it was terribly descriptive. The second was called a Rosina Leckermaul and the specific ingredients are listed as Zaya Dark Rum, Graham’s Six Grapes Port, and Lillet Blanc.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I was confused for a sec but I think you swapped which drink was first and which was second halfway through your post. Let me know if I'm not following.

For the rum/port/lillet one, if that was truly in a highball glass (which would make it "long" and not "up," and presumably means it also was served over ice) and didn't include any other ingredients, I would guess something like 2:1:3 rum:port:Lillet as a starting point, but I'd be super surprised if there wasn't also plain soda water in there to lengthen it. In which case, I'd start with something like 1:1:2 and then like 3 oz soda and see if you want it to taste rummier or port-ier, and if it's too strong/weak adjust the soda accordingly. I'd also start looking at garnishes like a mint sprig or a lemon peel.

Assuming the tequila/triple sec/creme de cacao drink was actually served up, i'd start with 2:0.5:0.5 tequila:triple:cacao, but even that is probably too sweet and you could consider something like 2.3:0.3:0.3 or 2.5:0.25:0.25. Again, if you want it orangier or chocolatier adjust the triple or the cacao accordingly, and if it's too sweet or not sweet enough swap in more or less tequila. I'd also consider adding 2-3 dashes of bitters (Angostura is the standard and I see no reason it wouldn't be a good starting point) and would probably serve that kind of sweet dessert drink over a big rock, maybe with an orange peel.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe I'm misusing some terminology, but no, I didn't switch the drinks.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

ultrafilter posted:

The second was called a Rosina Leckermaul and the specific ingredients are listed as Zaya Dark Rum, Graham’s Six Grapes Port, and Lillet Blanc.

I'd guess that Scythe has it backward, though, and the rum/port/lillet drink was the one served in a coupe.

Nothing more to add but that they both seem rather dessert-y, and serving such an alcohol-heavy drink up in a highball glass seems weird to me, a cocktail newbie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Friend is making cherry ice cream and is using booze

She says disaronno smells more like maraschino to her nose. Should she go with that or the cherry brandy

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 11, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Disaronno is made of apricot pits with the intention of tasting like almonds, which happen to taste a lot like cherries. Kirsch has a darker, more syrupy flavor that probably won’t translate well to the richness of ice cream, so I would go with the amaretto.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Agreed, go with the amaretto because almonds go well with cherries, rather than because of either being a great approximation of maraschino.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks guys

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I want to mix some margaritas that I can put in a vessel and then take poolside and pour into iced cups. Can I shake it iceless in a hydroflask (which I will transport it in anyway) without ice since I'm pouring it over ice to serve? Or should I put like one cube in there to dilute it and help with the shake at all?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 11, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I'd try to keep it cold to preserve the quality of the lime juice. You could shake it without ice and put it in a fridge or cooler - the drink will actually be just a bit too tart and strong but pouring it over ice will balance that out.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Waci posted:

Agreed, go with the amaretto because almonds go well with cherries, rather than because of either being a great approximation of maraschino.

Also amaretto ice cream would slap independent of it successfully approximating cherry flavor.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I'd try to keep it cold to preserve the quality of the lime juice. You could shake it without ice and put it in a fridge or cooler - the drink will actually be just a bit too tart and strong but pouring it over ice will balance that out.

Would it be reasonable to shake it with like a single cube of ice, assuming it will melt and both chill the drink slightly and proof it down to a more drinkable level, even before going over ice?

I could also freeze the hydroflask first if I prep ahead of time.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Shaking with ice serves two purposes, getting the drink cold *quickly* and deproofing it a little, and neither is necessary here. Of course a little ice wouldn't do any harm but it won't keep cold on the drive. If you don't have a cooler freezing it sounds like the best plan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would just shake the bottle it's batched in to get some air in there at serving time and then pour it over the ice. It's a poolside margarita, nobody's expecting perfection.

I'm having a zombie and this may be the most dangerous drink I've ever had. It should not be this light for the amount of booze in it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

A zombie is hands down the best way to get blitzed, if that’s your mission.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

A zombie is hands down the best way to get blitzed, if that’s your mission.

I think one will do me for tonight. drat good drink though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not really a fan of the zombie. But I don't like grapefruit juice much. I prefer the fogg cutter. not the fog, but the fogg. A tad less strong than the zombie but a lot tastier.

2 oj
1.5 lime
1.5 simple
1 lt rum
1 dark jamaican rum
1 brandy
1 gin
1/2 tsp almost extract
8 oz crushed ice

flash blend for 5 seconds
open pour

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The diamondback (2 parts rye, 1 part applejack, 1 part Chartreuse) is one of my like three desert island cocktails and it's absolutely a cocktail that sneaks up on you.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
For those of you dealing with the chartreuse shortage, I have a solution:

https://youtu.be/de_n4Z5uIV0

Only requires a bunch of specialty spices and equipment and establishing a small liqueur making factory in your home bing bang boom so easy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SubG posted:

The diamondback (2 parts rye, 1 part applejack, 1 part Chartreuse) is one of my like three desert island cocktails and it's absolutely a cocktail that sneaks up on you.

Sounds good. I lack applejack but have calvados so that should do.

Just made the best lemon sour I've ever done. 2 oz lemon juice, 1.5 1:1 simple, 3.5 sweet potato shochu, shake with a couple cubes, open pour, fill up the pint glass with Topo Chico. Stick in a couple lemon wheels if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds good. I lack applejack but have calvados so that should do.
For diamondbacks (and Jack Roses) I like E&J apple brandy better than applejack, but that could be because the only applejack most places carry is Laird's, which I think is kinda bland.