Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JBP posted:

On one and a half incomes for a family home, yes it's fine. It will only get easier as well as rates back off over the years.

Are you shitposting or are you genuinely that loving daft?

Now add on the utilities and transport to get to the loving jobs and oh yes, how about food and JFC your post pissed me off so loving much given the wife and I would love to have our own home but there is zero way it can be afforded even with good wages 1 million for a loving house in Penrith is bullshit and just not sustainable

quote:

here are houses in Penrith down the road for $700k 3br that aren't as nice but perfectly fine

They are shitboxes in piss poor condition at would need another 50 to 100K in remedial work. I know, I've looked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

oh right spending 67% of income is fine then. also houses are completely free once you buy them. you buffoon

A single income person should look at a cheaper option in the first place, and the example I gave was a couple with one working part time and one ft. Not everyone is a median income cartoon character, some people earn more than the median.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
its jbp so its a little from column a and a little from column b

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Laserface posted:

Some dude in Melbourne calling himself PurplePingers is going to all the hosed rentals, filming all the problems and getting them either taken off the market or getting poo poo fixed for tenants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8z33K05yRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tchjV2770N0

Most of his stuff is on other platforms but I dont see a lot of ppl in here using tiktok or instagram.

Oh man, I love my regular dose of 'poo poo rentals of Melbourne', especially now that he is going to the rentals and helping the tenants dob lovely landlords and REAs in to the law

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey JBP please stop being devils advocate for the housing market.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm just trying to help people understand finance.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JBP posted:

A single income person should look at a cheaper option in the first place, and the example I gave was a couple with one working part time and one ft. Not everyone is a median income cartoon character, some people earn more than the median.

You're like an Aussie 3olives only somehow more annoying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Breetai posted:

You're like an Aussie 3olives only somehow more annoying.

You mean I'm like the restaurant?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Konomex posted:

Oh man, I love my regular dose of 'poo poo rentals of Melbourne', especially now that he is going to the rentals and helping the tenants dob lovely landlords and REAs in to the law

yeah I bought a T-Shirt. oval office is doing good work.

Worth mentioning he has a shitload more views on insta/tiktok and I just chose the YT channel because its a dead gay forum. 20k followers on insta, 130k on tiktok with a few million views.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

its jbp so its a little from column a and a little from column b

It's this, don't touch the poop.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JBP more like Jordan B Peterson!!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Why wouldn't you ramp up your repayments over time? Your repayments start getting smaller the day you make your first payment against the principal. Are you making an assumption that rates will be 6.5% for 30 years and inflation will cease to exist the day you buy a house?

Why do you need $200,000 saved? There are houses in Penrith down the road for $700k 3br that aren't as nice but perfectly fine. $70k at 35-45 when you need a 3br is doable. If you're a full time worker on a decent wicket like a tradesman, this house is accessible.

The median individual ft salary is about $80k. Even with apeshit interest rates this house isn't 80% of that per month. If you have a second part time income it's not even close. If rates drop back to 4% it's $3.8k a month minus whatever principal you've paid off.

The funniest part is "sacrificing holidays and anything else that is fun". The post isn't even about anything, it's just clout whining. Anyway I hope 21 year old people are given a 4br house in Mosman for free soon.

You know that median income is before tax right? Right? So it's 55k after tax. One person is part time so say 40k after tax (they do well for part time). Bank estimates minimum living expenses at 2k a month per person. Sooo that leaves 55+40-12*2*2 = 47k per year left over, assuming no kids/other expenses.

Now lets assume rates have already dropped (to be as generous as humanly possible) and multiply 12 by 3.8 and see what I get. 45.6k per year.

I guess you're 400 dollars in the black, yearly, with rates back down to 4%. Lol, lmao.

JBP posted:

Not some, half earn more, and importantly half earn less.

Please stop trolling or learn extremely basic math.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

I do not look forward to this guy getting his house firebombed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Not some, half earn more, and importantly half earn less.

Please stop trolling or learn extremely basic math.

Half is a lot of people. Thanks.

I ignored the rest because you're still arguing on behalf of a buyer for this property that I'm not even contemplating.

Oh wait

hooman posted:

You know that median income is before tax right? Right? So it's 55k after tax.

This math is incorrect. It's like $65,000 after tax at $80k. Extremely basic.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 14, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why not simply take my first example of a sparky who is probs making a hundo and his partner who is say a part time nurse making $40k? That wouldn't suit the narrative of the tweet about sacrificing holidays to Berlin I suppose.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Half is a lot of people. Thanks.

I ignored the rest because you're still arguing on behalf of a buyer for this property that I'm not even contemplating.

Oh wait

This math is incorrect. It's like $65,000 after tax at $80k. Extremely basic.

Uhhh, 80k isn't the median income chief.

EDIT:
Ok, I'll indulge your example, 100k Tradie, 40k Nurse, 1 kid? Is that fair?
100k Pretax -> 75k After Tax
40k Pretax -> 36k After Tax
Total Income - 111k

Living Expenses, two people, 2k per person, per month. 48k per year.
Average cost yearly of raising a kid. 13k.

111-48-13=50k per annum spare.

So in your low rates case these people are in the black by only ~4k a year. Before you consider anything like council rates, and all the other expenses of home ownership. But again, this only works in the low rates environment. Come on man.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 14, 2023

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
What exactly are we advocating for here? That everyone should be able to buy a house like the one linked? I'm lost. I could argue affordability of houses is poo poo (it is) and I could argue that there are many cheaper houses out there (there is).

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we are advocating for the removal of penrith

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

$78.5k or whatever is the median ft. Sorry this extra grand is very important to the discussion I guess.

My low rates case would be 3%. 4% is just the hopeful normalised rate. They're also building equity in the house and experiencing capital growth on it. Outside of this anomalous environment they're fine.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

You take that back!

Penrith has improved dramatically over the years.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lmao imagine falling for an obvious JBP low effort post in TYOOL 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

$78.5k or whatever is the median ft. Sorry this extra grand is very important to the discussion I guess.

My low rates case would be 3%. 4% is just the hopeful normalised rate. They're also building equity in the house and experiencing capital growth on it. Outside of this anomalous environment they're fine.

Median wage (68k) isn't median full time wage (79k). I used median wage to represent full time and part time work across a couple, but you've ignored the numbers on your theoretical couple as well. They are only *just* in the black, close enough that I doubt they would get approval from the bank.

Next, 3% is not low rates. 4% is low rates. Historically, rates have hovered around where they are now. Between like 1970 and 2012 mortgage rates sat above 6%. Only in the last 10 years following the GFC did they trend down to 4% to try and stimulate the economy and during COVID did they drop to unusually low levels. Since the RBA was established they've really only dropped below 5% in the last 10 years.

So with historically low rates, that are significantly lower than they are now, a local electrician and a part timer would only just scrape in being able to afford it and to roll back to where you started:

JBP posted:

Why do you need any of that to buy a $950,000 house? If you borrowed $800k it's like 4.5k pm even with dogshit interest rates. Local electrician and a part time partner wouldn't break a sweat.

:wrong:

Recoome posted:

I think it's actually a worthwhile discussion to have, because looking at the numbers is useful to do to see where affordability actually falls down. Again I'm not really interested in JBP reading my posts, they're mostly there for anyone else who is interested.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gorfob posted:

You take that back!

the only way to improve penrith is to release actual panthers into the suburb

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Just the removal of all economists. Like JBP for example.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Not gonna lie. It would add some spice.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

love the rith

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gorfob posted:

You take that back!

has it though? to me there’s a real connectivity issue as so much through space is dead car parks or arcades with nothing in them anymore. the north side where jbp’s house is feels kind of dead too.

I like getting coffee from favela

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

birdstrike posted:

has it though? to me there’s a real connectivity issue as so much through space is dead car parks or arcades with nothing in them anymore. the north side where jbp’s house is feels kind of dead too.

I like getting coffee from favela

Yeah there is a real connectivity issue. It's still a massively car centric area. The new park in the middle where the old spotlight carpark ramp/funeral home was will be a good way to open things up.

I still get regular 0800 bhan mi from Jamison Bakery after night shifts. A real delight.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gorfob posted:

Yeah there is a real connectivity issue. It's still a massively car centric area. The new park in the middle where the old spotlight carpark ramp/funeral home was will be a good way to open things up.

I still get regular 0800 bhan mi from Jamison Bakery after night shifts. A real delight.

the only place I will visit an atm for

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

If you work on High Street (I do) parking is just massively hosed, have to go and move my car every two hours and pray to god I'm not circling the loving place for 15 minutes trying to swooce into a spot. I don't even know how you'd fix that, probably by not letting it get that bad in the first place lol

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Comstar posted:

Just the removal of all economists. Like JBP for example.

him being an economist explains a lot, and yes we need them all removed

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't even know how you'd fix that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I mean there was a lion safari park at warragamba

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hm..yes...

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Autisanal Cheese posted:

him being an economist explains a lot, and yes we need them all removed

My brother studied economics, and whilst I'll miss him, I do understand

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Recoome posted:

Yeah

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
You’re getting assessed for serviceability at an 8% interest rate now so even if you could theoretically pay off an $800k loan at current interest rates you’re probably not going to be able to borrow that much.

FWIW I recently spoke to a couple of brokers and my borrowing limit was $400k on $84k/yr (excluding super and including HECS). It’s not exactly linear but to borrow $800k while paying off a HECS debt you’re probably looking at needing to earn around $180-$190k a year (they assume higher living costs once you earn more than $100k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ah, but if you were a tradie, you wouldn't have a HELP debt.