Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Defiance Industries posted:

The engine is the most expensive part of a mech and it's usually not even close.

Now I actually do wish I had swept the leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Engines usually cost more than the sum total of the rest of a mech's parts. XL engines cost four times as much as Standard ones.

This combined with their doubled size has an amusing result: You're a lot more likely to leave XL-engined mechs in salvageable condition due to their vulnerability to critical hits, but actually getting them back in working order is another matter entirely.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

triple engine tac. lol. lmao.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Felled by a Hunchback's notorious & fearsome weapon: A medium laser.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

idk why we would hire Thabo, he's got a 100% rate of getting his mech shot out from under him. also he hates us, since his specific objective is to crush our merc company, not defend the dropship

much more fun to keep him as a reoccurring villain :yayclod:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

aniviron posted:

Felled by a Hunchback's notorious & fearsome weapon: A medium laser.

I'll bet the medium laser is the deadliest mech weapon statistically speaking

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet the medium laser is the deadliest mech weapon statistically speaking

I read a breakdown somewhere that said the best weapon in terms of expected damage per BV is the AC/10.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I don't believe that's true, but I'd have to see how they're determining "expected damage."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

biosterous posted:

idk why we would hire Thabo, he's got a 100% rate of getting his mech shot out from under him. also he hates us, since his specific objective is to crush our merc company, not defend the dropship

much more fun to keep him as a reoccurring villain :yayclod:

He can be like that one guy in Crimson Skies that gets more and more angry every time he goes up against you because he gets shot down every time, to the point he's screaming about all the things he's going to do to you for it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Hunchback 4P is a dangerous foe to see on a battlefield and it has Medium Lasers for days.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Defiance Industries posted:

The engine is the most expensive part of a mech and it's usually not even close. You'd need to jam a bunch of electronics that don't exist yet in there just to catch up with the cost of a standard engine, not even an XL.

For reference, a 250-rated fusion engine like the one in the Trebuchet costs 833,333 C-Bills to buy brand new. Thankfully, an engine that has taken three hits is still repairable, although it'll still cost around 160,000 C-Bills. Most other components like actuators and such cost mere thousands of C-Bills to replace, so repairing the arms won't cost much at all by comparison.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are the rocks on the difficult terrain hexes?

Depending on whether or not they are I'm either going to just go forward two hexes in to the woods, or go a bit south in to 2813 to be ready to dash forward from there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Orders in - 2913, shooting at the Firestarter.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Are the rocks on the difficult terrain hexes?

Depending on whether or not they are I'm either going to just go forward two hexes in to the woods, or go a bit south in to 2813 to be ready to dash forward from there.

Yes, the rocks represent rough terrain.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Scintilla posted:

:hmmyes:

I think a triple engine TAC is worth an extra 200 XP, lemme just roll up a 0/0 pilot with a laundry list of overpowered traits and quirks.

Was the Phantom 'Mech trait ever in the list?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

Was the Phantom 'Mech trait ever in the list?

Nah, that's something Stackpole made up. The closest you could get is a mech equipped with Chameleon LPS, Null Signature System and a pilot with the Dodge skill.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 9

An unpleasant jolt rippled through Josiah Preston’s body as his Phoenix Hawk touched down behind one of the hills ringing the crash site. The mech’s shock absorbers should have cushioned the landing, but a lack of proper maintenance had caused some of the mechanisms to seize up, allowing more of the impact to travel up into the mech’s cockpit. It wasn’t a major issue yet, but if it wasn’t fixed then jumping would eventually become prohibitively painful.

Sweat beaded on Josiah’s forehead as he watched the pips on his mech’s heat monitor slowly tick down. The Phoenix Hawk ran hot when it was jumping, and its engines needed careful management to avoid an excessive heat load. While he waited, his eyes were drawn back to the bulky metal egg nested behind him. The Eagle Standard had taken a few token shots, but the bulk of its arsenal had yet to speak. Frustrated, Josiah opened a comms channel to the DropShip.

“Withers! Why aren’t you shooting? The enemy are right in front of us!”

After several long seconds Withers’ dry voice finally responded. “We are doing the best we can, Preston. Our power supply is temperamental and slow to cycle up. You will have to make do with our current rate of fire.”

A loud smack echoed through the cockpit as Josiah pounded his fist against his command couch. “That’s not good enough! We’re the anvil, and you’re the hammer! Now hammer them!”

“I would love to, but as I said, we have to take things slowly.” An undercurrent of malice slithered into Withers’ voice. “Besides, you should be more concerned about your own men, Preston. Your anvil is looking a little shaky right now. Perhaps you should go and shore it up.”

Josiah’s blood boiled at the man’s insouciant tone. He cut the channel and hunched forwards, seething with impotent rage. Withers had had the perfect chance to smash the mercenaries into powder, and he’d squandered it. The whispering paranoia that Josiah had always felt when dealing with the man rose to a thundering crescendo. There was no mistaking it now. The man’s inaction was a clear sign of treachery.

A cheery beep indicated that Josiah’s Phoenix Hawk was heat-neutral again. Grinding his teeth, Josiah triggered his jump jets and leapt into the sky once again. He would shore up his anvil, then when the mercenaries lay broken and dead he would march up to Withers’ office and introduce the man’s soft tissues to his needler pistol.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) takes 10 damage to Left Arm, 0/6 Armour, 2/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires PPC at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Fires LRM-15 at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 12: 12 Missiles Hit! Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Torso (0/11 Armour, 6/8 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), 5 damage to Centre Torso (8/13 Armour remaining (Through Armour Critical!), and 2 damage to Centre Torso (6/13 Armour remaining).
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained.
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! Two critical hits sustained! Critical hit on Engine! Critical hit on Gyro!
-Fires LRM-15 at Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 11, rolls 11: Hits Right Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) takes 10 damage to Right Torso, 1/11 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: 6 Missiles Hit! Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso (25/34 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Left Arm (21/22 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-Repairing minor faults…

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 7 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 4 heat.

--

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 6 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Took 20+ damage this turn: Needs 9, rolls 6: Fails!
--Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) falls on its rear, suffering 4 damage to Left Arm, 0/6 Structure remaining. Left Arm destroyed! 2 damage transfers to Rear Left Torso, 3/5 Armour remaining.
-Nathan Howell must roll a 9+ to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 7: Fails!

--

-Nathan Howell (Firestarter FS9-H) has taken 1 damage this turn! Nathan Howell must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
--Nathan Howell must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 8: Succeeds!

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) attempts to stand. Needs 8, rolls 4: Fails!
-Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) falls on its left side, suffering 4 damage to Left Torso, 7/11 Armour remaining.
-Nathan Howell must roll a 8+ to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 7: Fails!
--Nathan Howell must roll a 5+ to remain conscious! Rolls 8: Succeeds!

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) attempts to stand again! Needs 8, rolls 2: Fails!
-Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) falls on its left side, suffering 4 damage to Right Torso, 2/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained.
-Nathan Howell must roll a 8+ to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 11: Succeeds!

Nathan Howell decides to stay down for now…

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants a bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (3/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 18th 9:00PM GMT.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Nah, that's something Stackpole made up. The closest you could get is a mech equipped with Chameleon LPS, Null Signature System and a pilot with the Dodge skill.

There is actually a rule for second edition MechWarrior characters to get it, you have to have your stats add up to a certain threshold and then roll above that or something. And then there's stuff in the rules about how the character should be really shaken up by it and take time off but nobody whose GM actually lets them use that bullshit is doing anything but a Monty Hall campaign.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol Nathan is just rolling around in his own poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Everyone falling over then doing some breakdancing

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

I'd say finishing off the Firestarter and taking out the Scorpion tank should be our priorities this turn since the PHawk and the Scorpion Mech both effectively have +3s to hit. Just keep in mind the Firestarter has a +1 to hit for being prone at range.

The PHawk could also jump to the area around 2917 next turn so the Hunchie playing area denial around there could be huge.

I'm thinking to jump to 2917/2613/2612 depending on what the rest of the team wants to move to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Everyone falling over then doing some breakdancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSDjSZF3tmI

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

That hit in the right torso hurts quite a lot, but I’m still up. I would be willing to get super aggressive if it wasn’t for the fact that Eagle Standard is set to fire again next turn.

Right now my best idea is to run in a circle before going back into the woods in 2714 to build an evasion mod before I light up the firestarter with my missiles.

Or to run to 2417 or 2318 (which affords me some cover against the scorpion and Phoenix Hawk) and light up the firestarter with my lasers or the scorpion tank with my LRMs. The problem is I’m not sure if the 2 high terrain will protect me from the drop ship.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gyroing the firestarter, very nice

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

gyroing the firestarter, very nice

Also yeah I didn’t say anything about it but. I feel like this is the best thing I’ve contributed to this battle. Outside of softening up a tank earlier

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWiwAbcf-GE

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

anakha posted:

Blackjack

I'd say finishing off the Firestarter and taking out the Scorpion tank should be our priorities this turn since the PHawk and the Scorpion Mech both effectively have +3s to hit. Just keep in mind the Firestarter has a +1 to hit for being prone at range.

The Firestarter is now completely impotent past range 3, is going to have great trouble standing with no arms, and won't be moving fast with the gyro hit. Might be best to worry about other targets in a format where there's no such thing as an init sink.

glwgameplayer posted:

Right now my best idea is to run in a circle before going back into the woods in 2714 to build an evasion mod before I light up the firestarter with my missiles.

Running in a circle drains your MP quickly through turns. You probably won't get enough evasion mod (remember that it is based entirely on hexes, not MP expended) to bother with that way, and your own targeting penalty is based on if you use run MP or not.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gnoman posted:

Running in a circle drains your MP quickly through turns. You probably won't get enough evasion mod (remember that it is based entirely on hexes, not MP expended) to bother with that way, and your own targeting penalty is based on if you use run MP or not.

I never said I was happy with the idea. I think the best I can do is get 1 evasion and end up in roughly the same position I was. Taking a -2 penalty to accuracy for not much of an advantage.

But it’s either that, running forward somewhat recklessly, or sitting right where I am

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you want to be defensive the only really worthwhile move is backing up in to the heavy woods. That will actually make you pretty much unhittable. Otherwise just sit still.
I'd also consider 2318 as a very good move. The LRM tank is inside min range, the PHX is blocked, the Firestarter has no arms to prop itself up with to shoot, and that leaves only the lone Scorpion, which has to shoot through woods and partial cover to aim at you.

Sitting still and shooting the LRM tank is a good option, as is running forward.

I'm unfortunately still kinda stuck doing nothing but moving up this turn, to 2815. I could rush out of the trench I'm in this turn, but that doesn't really get me any defensive mod at all and my armor is too thin in places to risk that just yet. 2815 sets me up for at least getting a +2 move mod if I run full forward, depending on where the PHX moves.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

I think I'll take the risk and just stand where I am. There are no guarantees in Battletech, but I think if I fire on the Scorpion Tank I can kill it. 6+ to hit and 30 missiles total means I have a decent chance of taking it down. If we can get a bit more fire on it just to make sure though, I'd appreciate that.

If I shot the Firestarter I think it would definitely explode since I'd be rolling 4+ to hit but. Like the others have said it's basically neutered at this point. Nothing but flamers and machine guns. Also since it's closer I imagine the rest of you have better shots against it, meanwhile.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

It's an aggressive move, but if I go directly to 2217 I can finish the Firestarter with SLs+Melee, hit the Scorpion LRM with 1 PPC+MLs, and cool off a little in the process. The Scorpion would have a shot on me, but eh, that's nothing new. I'm not sure but I think the PHawk can't actually shoot me there, I think its LoS should be blocked. If it can see me I might change my mind but even if it can, my left side is the pristine one and I'd be in a great spot to flush the Scorpion out of cover next turn while also getting into cover against the Dropship.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer
I'm not sure but I think the PHawk can't actually shoot me there, I think its LoS should be blocked. If it can see me I might change my mind but even if it can, my left side is the pristine one and I'd be in a great spot to flush the Scorpion out of cover next turn while also getting into cover against the Dropship.

I'm not sure about LoS being blocked, but I believe you would have partial cover. Mechs are 2 units high right? It's standing on terrain that's 1 high, and the thing obstructing its vision is 2 high. I think it's standing at 3 units high, so for something to block the shot it would have to be 3 units high as well? Someone who knows the rules better double-check me on that.

That said, I think it would have a 7+ minimum to hit you. 4 base, +2 from the Jump, and +1 from your evasion. I don't know how much an obstruction helps you though.

In terms of offense, I think between the two of us we can take down the Firestarter and the Scorpion tank. It's BattleTech so there are no guarantees, but that is a lot of fire to send their way.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Yeah, after crudely diagramming it out I'm pretty sure he does have clear LoS on me, but screw it, I'm doing it anyway. He'd be shooting my undamaged profile and even if I take a few hits, I think it's a good setup move for next turn even setting aside the chance to kill the tank and firestarter.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Trebuchet

Alright, I have an idea and I need you guys to either talk me out of it or nod grimly and accept my fate. If I run to hex 2518 I think I'll be safe from almost every threat. The Scorpion mech has to shoot me through a tree, the Fire starter is out of range, and the Phoenix Hawk also has to shoot through some trees. Not 100% sure on the Dropship but I think the 2 height hex I'm standing behind will block its line of sight? But I have a clear shot on the Scorpion Tank (It has a turret so it can see me clearly can't it? I'm willing to take it though, since it's got an 8+ to hit me)

It isn't an ideal staging position, but if I want I can close the gap between myself and either scorpion on the next turn. Or even take a jaunt over the hill to get behind them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you go there then just make sure to end movement facing 2417 so it's easy to get out of that little pit next turn.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let me know if you're committing to that move to 2518, as I may need to revise the orders I've already sent to jump to the hex you're vacating.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

Let me know if you're committing to that move to 2518, as I may need to revise the orders I've already sent to jump to the hex you're vacating.

Wait I’m confused. Do you mean you’ll be landing in 2518, or that you’re jumping to where I currently am?

Because if me ending in 2518 is a problem I am willing to go to 2517 instead, I just really want one of those two hexes so I can blast the Scorpion Tank. I think if we work together we can kill it this turn

Perhaps that is reckless of me but they have a dropship spitting fiery death and we don’t. Taking them out quickly is an excellent idea

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 18, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Wait I’m confused. Do you mean you’ll be landing in 2518, or that you’re jumping to where I currently am?

Landing in 2613, the hex you are leaving. Go ahead and take 2518.

Revised orders sent in.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

Landing in 2613, the hex you are leaving.

Okay yeah, I'm going to be leaving, if you want it for yourself you can take it. It's a pretty good hex as far as I'm concerned, but having some evasion and a better shot would be worth more to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just a quick reminder: line of sight can be tricky in Battletech, doubly so if there are a bunch of elevation changes between yourself and your target. If you aren't sure if you have LOS, please ask me, either in the thread or via a PM. I'll always try to respond promptly.