Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

pygmy tyrant posted:

Idiocracy has a terrible premise and I can't remember anything else about it. It's classist propaganda depicting a poor person having multiple kids with different partners as detrimental to ~the human race~ even though as we understand it, the intelligence so prized by Mr. Judge is based on the ability to maintain higher numbers of social relationships. This is only demonstrated by the "stupid" person while the "smart" couple fails to achieve the relationship success to achieve even open relationship level of polyamory. Furthermore,

Sir this is a funeral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nichael posted:

Have you noticed that the 2006 Mike Judge film, Idiocracy, feels more and more like a documentary lately?

been hearign this a lot lately

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tulip posted:

Idiocracy is explicit eugenicist propaganda. Like that's the movie. That's both what the text of the movie says and the popular reception of the movie. If you want to defend eugenics as not fashy then go ahead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol cmon son

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Huh guess some people shouldn't be having kids

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tulip posted:

Idiocracy is explicit eugenicist propaganda. Like that's the movie. That's both what the text of the movie says and the popular reception of the movie. If you want to defend eugenics as not fashy then go ahead.

probed for being right smh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

probed for being right smh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

He was correct on the "Nichael" issue.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nichael posted:

This reminds me of a movie I saw a while back.

lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mike judge ftw

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Tulip posted:

I think you're missing some context

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the context is that its a funny movie with a funny premise

speng31b
May 8, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the context is that its a funny movie with a funny premise

eugenics is a funny wprd

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the context is it's actually a line from sling blade

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
some call it an aids thread but i call it a covid thread mmhmm

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you guys ever feel like we might be at the beginning of Starship Troopers?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the president from Idiocracy would run the country better than Joe.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
reported for post eugenics (not liking my posts is fascism)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

reported for post eugenics (not liking my posts is fascism)

-every fascist ever

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

withak posted:

Do you guys ever feel like we might be at the beginning of Starship Troopers?

are government psychics implanting thoughts into spaceship pilots so they bump an asteroid off course causing it to crash into buenos aires so they can false flag an attack from an unrelated alien species we want to blow up

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

are government psychics implanting thoughts into spaceship pilots so they bump an asteroid off course causing it to crash into buenos aires so they can false flag an attack from an unrelated alien species we want to blow up

Idk that's why I'm asking.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

withak posted:

Idk that's why I'm asking.

drat thought you'd know the answer bc I'm curious now too

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

speng31b posted:

-every fascist ever

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Even before Idiocracy there was an sf story called "The Little Black Bag", where a doctor's bag from the future ends up in the hands of a contemporary disgraced doctor. The future the bag comes from has the majority of the population having ~50 IQs, while a minority of smart people actually do everything or make things like the bag, which has devices that essentially run themselves.

The sequel, "The Marching Morons", was based in that future, and a contemporary real estate scam artist wakes then. He helps the smart people by convincing the "morons" that Venus is a swell place and every red blooded American should go there by rocketship.

In both, the background premise is the same - smart people have fewer kids than dumb people, leading to a dumbing down of humanity. Which does stem from a very eugenics-based view of humanity.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

speng31b posted:

-every fascist ever

-every fascist ever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think Eugene must be stopped

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think Eugene must be stopped

i think nick is the real menace

hotep botnet
Jul 10, 2023

by vyelkin

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

coughing my head off and projectile sneezing in the hit film SlingAIDS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What is this, a thread for ants?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pingui posted:

I am increasingly unsure how to explain the pinnacle of society to the children of the wasteland.

"If you think scrounging for worms is tough, let me tell you about TikTok..."

Old man sighing and looking wistfully over the desert: "We really did have it all..."

Child of the wasteland: "Doesn't really sound like it..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

uber_stoat posted:

the president from Idiocracy would run the country better than Joe.

Legit better than about any president of our lifetimes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I don't remember the next Idiocracy Discourse step after "It's fascist" -> "the president's actually better than any we've had because he listens to people smarter than him" but I guess we're there

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FFT posted:

I don't remember the next Idiocracy Discourse step after "It's fascist" -> "the president's actually better than any we've had because he listens to people smarter than him" but I guess we're there

i believe it's "it's a joke on the viewer who identifies with the protagonist and imagines themselves smarter than everyone else, while being in fact completely average"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The next step is moving smoothly into God Bless America discourse

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zodium posted:

i believe it's "it's a joke on the viewer who identifies with the protagonist and imagines themselves smarter than everyone else, while being in fact completely average"

also liberalism alone will of course keep society allve despite nobody doing any real work

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Al! posted:

sorry its a running joke in cspam nobody thinks idiocracy is particularly prescient about the future

For one, it's way too optimistic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tulip posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MrUnderbridge posted:

Even before Idiocracy there was an sf story called "The Little Black Bag", where a doctor's bag from the future ends up in the hands of a contemporary disgraced doctor. The future the bag comes from has the majority of the population having ~50 IQs, while a minority of smart people actually do everything or make things like the bag, which has devices that essentially run themselves.

The sequel, "The Marching Morons", was based in that future, and a contemporary real estate scam artist wakes then. He helps the smart people by convincing the "morons" that Venus is a swell place and every red blooded American should go there by rocketship.

In both, the background premise is the same - smart people have fewer kids than dumb people, leading to a dumbing down of humanity. Which does stem from a very eugenics-based view of humanity.

yeah but those didn’t have a black president so no one is complaining about those movies

checkmate