Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

fwiw one of the plugged in Mariners guys thinks that the Dodgers are the only team who is realistically in on an Ohtani deal and the names that come up are

RHP Bobby Miller
RHP Tony Gonsolin
OF James Outman
C Diego Cartaya

I think that's probably the best return the Angels would get too.
that guy isn't very plugged in because there is ZERO chance Arte Moreno ever approves a trade of Ohtani to the Dodgers. The man has had a massive chip on his shoulder about LA for decades, it's the reason he did all that dumb poo poo with the name, and the reason he squashed that Joc Pederson trade a few years back.

The Dodgers' chance at Ohtani has always been in free agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

fwiw one of the plugged in Mariners guys thinks that the Dodgers are the only team who is realistically in on an Ohtani deal and the names that come up are

RHP Bobby Miller
RHP Tony Gonsolin
OF James Outman
C Diego Cartaya

I think that's probably the best return the Angels would get too.

If they can convince him to sign after the season, that’s a heck of a deal.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

that guy isn't very plugged in because there is ZERO chance Arte Moreno ever approves a trade of Ohtani to the Dodgers. The man has had a massive chip on his shoulder about LA for decades, it's the reason he did all that dumb poo poo with the name, and the reason he squashed that Joc Pederson trade a few years back.

The Dodgers' chance at Ohtani has always been in free agency.

If he's going to approve any Ohtani deal at all (I don't think he does) I think the dam has broken on it and he'd quit being such a petty rear end in a top hat.

But maybe he really is that kind of guy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is the same owner who announced over the winter he was looking to sell the team, then backed out. He's absolutely that petty/arbitrary in his decisions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

If having only Ohtani and another top 5 to 10 guy in the league with a bunch of mediocrity around them was enough to win then the Angels wouldn't be where they are and thinking about dealing him in the first place

The Yankees can get Ohtani for cash in the offseason if they want to. The idea that they would give up Volpe plus every other remotely good prospect they have for 2 and change month and a few playoff games would be pure desperation and cashman flailing to save his job...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Doesn't matter where Ohtani gets traded cause he's signing with the Pirates in the offseason

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Trade Ohtani to the NL so he can win both MVPs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Actually they probably can't get him because he's already made it pretty clear he doesn't want to play here. They were convinced they were getting him 6 years ago.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Arte appears to value big names to get fans in seats, to the detriment of everything else. I'm assuming Ohtani is walking for nothing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Actually they probably can't get him because he's already made it pretty clear he doesn't want to play here. They were convinced they were getting him 6 years ago.

When Ohtani was vetting teams didn't he want to avoid going to a team with another Japanese star player? Masahiro Tanaka was on the Yankees at the time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

When Ohtani was vetting teams didn't he want to avoid going to a team with another Japanese star player? Masahiro Tanaka was on the Yankees at the time.

I never heard that. It's also not like he told anyone his reasoning.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t think he’s going anywhere personally. Sure there are lots of buyers this year but the gap between the Rays, Braves, Astros, and Rangers is pretty huge to all the other “buyers.” I get the random playoff crew but the chances of any of the fringe teams winning the series this year seems much slimmer than usual, and none of the elite teams need Ohtani to be better than everyone. Plus I would wager that none of those four teams have a shot at signing him long term.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

He's going to land in Seattle for literally the entire Seattle Mariners roster. The new team will be Ohtani and everyone currently on the Tacoma Rainiers.

They'll sell shirts that just say

OHTANI &
HUMMEL &
TRAMMELL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Angels would be dumb not to trade him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/byjackharris/status/1679951347192418309

:piss:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao if he were on the Mets he'd absolutely be starting today doctor's orders be damned.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Right now, Kershaw leads the NL in ERA and is just 0.1 off the lead in bWAR among NL pitchers.

That sonofabitch had me dreaming on a 4th Cy Young all the way into July.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Max Fried looking at maybe the last days of July for an MLB start if nothing goes wrong.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Well gently caress. This would explain a lot tho

Shane Bieber Headed For MRI Due To Forearm Irritation https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/shane-bieber-headed-for-mri-due-to-forearm-irritation.html

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think Soto makes a lot more sense for the Yankees than Ohtani does. Would probably cost a lot less too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who are the Yankees going to be able to offer that anyone wants? Peraza, Cabrera, and Volpe are their top prospects and none of them look good.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

I think Soto makes a lot more sense for the Yankees than Ohtani does. Would probably cost a lot less too.
That time of year again already?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the Padres have their infield set, so how will the Yankees entice them with an incredible trade package featuring a Gleyber Torres centerpiece???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who are the Yankees going to be able to offer that anyone wants? Peraza, Cabrera, and Volpe are their top prospects and none of them look good.

Cabrera isn't really a prospect. Peraza is having a good year in AAA. I doubt they would trade Volpe, then you're taking 2 steps back putting IKF at SS every day. Dominguez is still a top 100 prospect. Peraza plus Dominguez is probably a start. I doubt they want Torres they need to cut cash not take on more arbitration eligible players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Soto wouldn't cost less than Ohtani? Really?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paracaidas posted:

Well, Soto would cost less than Ohtani, but that says more about Ohtani than anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I assume a big part of a Soto (or an Ohtani) trade would be taking back bad contracts too which the Yankees can do if they feel like.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Word on the street is that the Chicago Cubs are acquiring Ohtani for world series champion Trey Mancini and cash considerations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's no way they trade Dominguez for a potential rental.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's no way they trade Dominguez for a potential rental.

Soto is a year and a half rental. It's a no brainer to include Dominguez+. The only guy I'd try hard not to trade is Volpe.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 15, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
it's so insane that mozeliak is saying that the cards probably aren't trying to trade arenado and goldschmidt (disregarding their NTCs). classic Mo Brain to think this season is an aberration and they'll be ready to strike in 2024

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mike_V posted:

it's so insane that mozeliak is saying that the cards probably aren't trying to trade arenado and goldschmidt (disregarding their NTCs). classic Mo Brain to think this season is an aberration and they'll be ready to strike in 2024

His statement and whatnot sucked but it would be absolutely insane to trade Arenado and while I could see Goldy being someone to move before his contract is up I don’t really love that either. I’ve waffled on a Goldly trade but I don’t know, he would be a rough piece to lose even if his position is more “easily” replaced than Arenado.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i want to know what sort of package he thinks seattle would part with logan gilbert for

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I don't see the Padres selling unless they absolutely tank the next couple weeks

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Angels are absolutely delusional enough to think they can re-sign him, so my prediction is that Ohtani goes nowhere and ends up watching the World Series from his living room.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels should trade Ohtani and then also sign him as a free agent

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Can the loving Cubs just start selling guys off so I have something to pay attention to? And put Miles Mastrobuoni in a dumpster

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeepDickPizza posted:

And put Miles Mastrobuoni in a dumpster

This is like year three now of Ross consistently giving loads of playing time to dogshit vets and AAAA washouts over the interesting young prospects and it's gone from weird to annoying to jesus christ what is it going to take to get this guy outta here?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It has to be the FO, obviously, but I’m just sooooooooooo loving over it. I hated the amount of hype people had for obvious filler like Frank Schwindel and Patrick Wisdom in lieu of actual stars, but now it’s not even that. It’s just straight garbage and I don’t know how they expect anyone to root for any of these loving losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Interesting thing I heard on the A's broadcast tonight. The A's have fielded 91 different lineups in 92 games played this year, that seems almost impossible.