Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I've learned about a lot of cool tactical espionage action games now. I might've been thinking of Titan Effect? I definitely remember the green cover at least. I'm going to have to look at the rest of those, too.

seaborgium posted:

I like their shows, but man the guy who runs it is just hilariously bad at this kind of thing. Dude really needs to either run that poo poo past people or hire someone for PR. Even if you're incredibly cynical, just looking at it from a "This is a lot of people's first time hearing of you, don't make the villains look like the good guys" perspective would have better. A decent chunk of the cast for their shows is in SAG too.

I don't know if a PR rep could salvage anything out of a notice where statements like this are enthusiastically fired off:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Glass Cannon or your employer's union busting legal team posted:

There are enough rules in RPGs that the last thing we need is outside forces coming in to try and regulate how we gather together to play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know if a PR rep could salvage anything out of a notice where statements like this are enthusiastically fired off:

Oh, this one is hosed. I meant for the next time he makes a statement, someone who can look him in the eye and go "Are you loving insane?". Someone to keep the mask at least slightly on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've learned about a lot of cool tactical espionage action games now. I might've been thinking of Titan Effect? I definitely remember the green cover at least. I'm going to have to look at the rest of those, too.

A Good PR Rep could easily.

They would say, "okay yeah, we aren't releasing that publicly" and then draft a statement just saying, "the SAG strikes do not affect our podcast and stream productions"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never been gladder that I don't have a favourite Actual Play series

I've been trying to square still making entertainment and wanting to be in full solidarity, been thinking I might give free bonus content access to WGA or SAG-AFTRA members for a while. That said, I don't know how to have people prove it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

theironjef posted:

I've been trying to square still making entertainment and wanting to be in full solidarity, been thinking I might give free bonus content access to WGA or SAG-AFTRA members for a while. That said, I don't know how to have people prove it.

No one in the WGA/SAG unions are saying you shouldn't make any form of entertainment. Unless you are like crossing a picketline or doing it for an AMPTP production. Or like the Glass Cannon guy above just making the most dickheaded please hire us for content post about it.

People aren't like going up to rando twitch streamers saying how dare you cross the picketline and stream stuff or make whatever your art is because other people are on strike.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dexo posted:

No one in the WGA/SAG unions are saying you shouldn't make any form of entertainment. Unless you are like crossing a picketline or doing it for an AMPTP production. Or like the Glass Cannon guy above just making the most dickheaded please hire us for content post about it.

People aren't like going up to rando twitch streamers saying how dare you cross the picketline and stream stuff or make whatever your art is because other people are on strike.

I know, this is more personal desire to be supportive than some sort of fear of retribution, I've got friends in the WGA that are already hurting. I've also donated to Humanitas.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently SAG gave out special waivers to indie crews that don't work with major studios when the last strike happened. Dropout might get one, I dunno.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Megazver posted:

Apparently SAG gave out special waivers to indie crews that don't work with major studios when the last strike happened. Dropout might get one, I dunno.

SAG's twitter post said that sort of thing is still a possibility. I'm guessing it needs a lawyer, and they're pretty busy setting up the strike but waivers for non-AMPTP productions were a thing this time as well and this time Dropout might even fall under "New Media" or micro productions which is a separate thing.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
in support of the teamsters i will not carrying groceries into the house

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I personally have always considered it to be kind of a black comedy more than anything else since most people outside of Rico and Ace in training don't get promoted without the higher up getting brutally killed in a battle iirc and there's a lot of stuff like "ah ha! mobile infantry made me the man I am today!" and he's missing limbs and Razchak orders rico to field-execute him instead of just field-evacuating him right there. I'm just rewatching that specific scene but I don't really see anything preventing Rico and others to just pick the dude up and put him on the boat. There's also oddly anti-fascist things like how women generally have equality but also need a license to have babies, and preventing women from having babies and letting them serve in the military and/or pursue careers is explicitly not something fascists really jive with and I'm convinced that Veerhoven put that in because the original book is rather dismissive of women in uniform outside of noting they can look cute dolled up in military outfits (and have their place in combat as like, medics and truck drivers etc).

Heinlein was even worse about it, he specifically had women piloting the drop ships because well, in his words:

quote:

“Let's skip Mobile Infantry tradition for a moment. Can you think of anything sillier than being fired out of a spaceship with nothing but mayhem and sudden death at the other end? However, if someone must do this idiotic stunt, do you know a surer way to keep a man keyed up to the point where he is willing than by keeping him constantly reminded that the only good reason why men fight is a living, breathing reality?
"In a mixed ship [men and women] the last thing a trooper hears before a drop (maybe the last word he ever hears) is a woman's voice, wishing him luck. If you don't think this is important you've probably resigned from the human race.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Resigned from the human race" is a particularly creepy way to be homophobic, but Robert found a lot of things to be particularly creepy about

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm pretty unclear on how these sorts of strikes work; it sounds like during a strike like this SAG or the WGA or another union flat out refuse all work which is why almost all productions are impacted. But can producers break with the industry and choose to meet the strikers demands to get their striking staff back to work, kinda...reverse scabbing? Or is it actually all-or-nothing and if the industry doesn't come to the table, nobody works? I've never been entirely sure if smaller outfits being affected by the strikes mean the showrunners are actually being ****s or not.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty unclear on how these sorts of strikes work; it sounds like during a strike like this SAG or the WGA or another union flat out refuse all work which is why almost all productions are impacted. But can producers break with the industry and choose to meet the strikers demands to get their striking staff back to work, kinda...reverse scabbing? Or is it actually all-or-nothing and if the industry doesn't come to the table, nobody works? I've never been entirely sure if smaller outfits being affected by the strikes mean the showrunners are actually being ****s or not.

Producers can, but they don't just have to come to an agreement with their own writers, the union as a whole has to agree to the deal. And it's not all upside for the union, So whether a particular company resumes might be because they're shits but it might be because the union doesn't think allowing that particular deal to go forward is worthwhile.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

admanb posted:

Producers can, but they don't just have to come to an agreement with their own writers, the union as a whole has to agree to the deal. And it's not all upside for the union, So whether a particular company resumes might be because they're shits but it might be because the union doesn't think allowing that particular deal to go forward is worthwhile.

They'd also have to be actually independent producers, and not members of the AMPTP or receiving funding from members. Almost no one is unless they're an auteur shooting hand-cam documentaries out of their own pocket.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I get that the Glass Cannon statement ultra sucks but that's a completely separate thing from Crit Role, right? What AP is Glass Cannon associated with?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

A Good PR Rep could easily.

They would say, "okay yeah, we aren't releasing that publicly" and then draft a statement just saying, "the SAG strikes do not affect our podcast and stream productions"

That's not salvaging that statement though. That's scrapping it and starting from scratch. Which should've been what happened but well.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I get that the Glass Cannon statement ultra sucks but that's a completely separate thing from Crit Role, right? What AP is Glass Cannon associated with?

They're just another large Actual Play group. A lot of Pathfinder stuff, and some other things like Blades in the Dark, Traveller, and Call of Cthulu.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 15, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's not salvaging that statement though. That's scrapping it and starting from scratch. Which should've been what happened but well.
Just explain you were being glib, it's fiiiiine
https://twitter.com/troylavallee/status/1680042619848589312

"I personally have had a very complicated relationship with the acting unions over the past two decades" Really? You don't say :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scab Cannon

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Paracaidas posted:

Just explain you were being glib, it's fiiiiine
https://twitter.com/troylavallee/status/1680042619848589312

"I personally have had a very complicated relationship with the acting unions over the past two decades" Really? You don't say :allears:

I know I rely on my audience's familiarity with me to ensure they get that I'm joking when I say straight-faced and without any sort of punchline "regulations are bad and I'm glad we don't have to stand in solidarity with the union." See it's a very inside-joke type thing where I express my odious opinion and then that's it that's all I do. Big laugh, but you gotta really get on my wavelength to get it.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
What the hell is a “very complicated relationship” with the union supposed to mean lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He's probably behind in his dues.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I like where your head's at.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

What the hell is a “very complicated relationship” with the union supposed to mean lol

It means he absolutely would love to pay slave wages but isn't allowed to thanks to unions lol.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

It means he's only in SAG so he can work SAG gigs. His first press release screamed libertarian small-business tyrant.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I love my Content Creation Machine and I stand in solidarity with whatever allows my machine to create more content.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Depressingly this is exactly in keeping with everything I've heard Troy do.

I quite like Glass Cannon, and I appreciate entertainment from small producers, but goddamn does he ever have the most tin ear imaginable for setting a tone. Like, Glass Cannon are probably going to make the same moves as everyone else in the Actual Play space who isn't actively run by a production company, but there's a non-rear end in a top hat way to express that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

I love my Content Creation Machine and I stand in solidarity with whatever allows my machine to create more content.

seriously who refers to themselves and their team as that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mors Rattus posted:

The kind of person who would replace their team with an actual machine if they could

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mors Rattus posted:

Management

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly I've seen a lot of folks start calling themselves 'content creators' possibly as a way to not lock themselves into 'I make do Actual Play tabletop games' or 'I make videos about horror movies' or whatever.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In the case of Troy it's very likely he was trying to be funny / glib by using manager-speak. Because while he is a decent enough GM he is simultaneously very unfunny and constantly cracking jokes. The fact that this isn't how it comes across at all to people who aren't already quite familiar to him is a good reason to bear in mind the John Scalzi quote that the failure mode of "clever" is "rear end in a top hat".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly I've seen a lot of folks start calling themselves 'content creators' possibly as a way to not lock themselves into 'I make do Actual Play tabletop games' or 'I make videos about horror movies' or whatever.

"Content Creator" is one of those phrases that immediately makes my eye twitch. It's a meaningless phrase. Just have the pride to say what you do.

I'm an RPG reviewer because I review old WoD books, just like I was a Podcaster when I was producing a podcast for 6 years.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

There's a lot of potential top 10 dark anime phrases in that "lol j/k I was kidding around when a journalist reached out for a statement on a serious topic" post but personally my favorite is one is "fans who depend on our content"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

That Old Tree posted:

I know I rely on my audience's familiarity with me to ensure they get that I'm joking when I say straight-faced and without any sort of punchline "regulations are bad and I'm glad we don't have to stand in solidarity with the union." See it's a very inside-joke type thing where I express my odious opinion and then that's it that's all I do. Big laugh, but you gotta really get on my wavelength to get it.

He's at that point of a small business where more than just fans are going to read what he says, and he doesn't quite seem to get that. He talks a lot about how he wants to expand to more shows/more GM's/more stuff that gets put out and get more listeners, but he had a chance here to make a good first impression on a lot of people and just poo poo all over it because "I'm just busting their balls, get over it" is his default public persona.

I still like their shows, but if this is how it's going to go the whole thing is going to collapse around him.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The stunner here is that it wasn't bowtieguy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This mf named skid

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bowtie Skid is the most normal person in that picture

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

why the gently caress does every actual play guy look like a stage magician

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lumbermouth posted:

why the gently caress does every actual play guy look like a stage magician

All struggling/failed actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All struggling/failed actors
Hence why he has a 'complicated' relationship with the SAG union despite being a member for 20 years!