Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Every fascist ever

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface posted:

he's making fun of this

haha

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Halser posted:

Every fascist ever

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/badly-damaged-nuclear-submarine-uss-connecticut-seen-in-new-images

Lol the sub they had to intimidate the chinese got badly damaged, and will take 3 years to repair.

quote:

The Navy has posted new pictures of its Seawolf class nuclear fast attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN-22), which was badly damaged when it struck a seamount while on patrol in the South China Sea on October 2nd, 2021. The Connecticut is currently in Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington, undergoing a long series of repairs that will last until 2026, at the soonest.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also they talk about how the navy has a huge backlog, and how China has a higher shipbuilding capability.

Things are going good for the American empire. 👍

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Bro how do you hit a seamount with a submarine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
very carefully

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mmm hell yeah, strikes all around.

E: Some more details, from shittier sources. But the messaging out of the ruling party is laffo.

July 7th
Labor Minister urges KCTU to halt "political" strike

quote:

Labor Minister Lee Jung-sik held an emergency meeting Friday morning to counter a nationwide strike by the KCTU and pointed out that some of the union demands do not fit the legal requirement that they should relate to working conditions.

Umm that's political, not work related! Illegal!

July 12th
Hyundai workers to hold strike in protest against 'anti-union' government

July 13th
Tens of thousands of Korean health care workers go on general strike
Government criticizes timing, legitimacy of medical workers' strike

quote:

"However, justification must be secured when it comes to staging strikes. It's questionable whether it is justified this time. Since what they demand is labor-management issues, it is right for the union to negotiate with their management, not demand government policies,” Second Vice Minister Park Min-soo also said in an interview on Wednesday.

Umm that's work related, but think of the patients! Illegal!

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Jul 15, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"soonest"

lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1678849446707347456

oh so that's how the US games its unemployment rate

and yeah rest of the thread is that China's youth is currently in college education in the measured unemployment rate

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1678849446707347456

oh so that's how the US games its unemployment rate

and yeah rest of the thread is that China's youth is currently in college education in the measured unemployment rate

Isn’t china counting 16-25 as youth ? in that case there is no way in hell Chinese parents are allowing their high schooler to be working. just does not happen at any sort of significant level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Isn’t china counting 16-25 as youth ? in that case there is no way in hell Chinese parents are allowing their high schooler to be working. just does not happen at any sort of significant level.

I always found those 'youth unemployment' statistical categories to be like, deliberately as dumb as possible because it is specifically groups of people where you expect most or large chunks of them to be in full time education, not work, and deliberately lumping them in with the unemployed makes it impossible to actually draw useful conclusions

And that's probably exactly the point

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
it doesn't count students like all forms of unemployment it is people actively looking for work and not finding it as a ratio of those working + looking for work

USA defines unemployment as:

Did you apply for or ask about a job in the last 4 weeks and not get it? and also not make any money at all or do any work for yourself or family members such as farm work or taking care of a sick sibling or parent, or work for your own business or a family business but not pay yourself? Can you start a new job within one week? Are you not waiting for another job to resume within 6 months from now? If yes, yes, and yes - unemployed.

China defines as:

are you an urban resident and have you applied for a job and not gotten it in the last 3 months? can you start a job within two weeks? if yes and yes - unemployed

nobody else enters into the equation except people with jobs and the people who fit the above criteria

edit: many of the comments on the twitter post point out this fact

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 08:57 on Jul 15, 2023

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
based on what the comments said, roughly one in fourteen chinese between ages 16 and 25 are unemployed, which is a 20% unemployment rate when you consider that 1/3 of people that age are in the workforce

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
>CPM cadre telling folks to vote for BJP in the west bengal elections instead of the INC.
>somehow still supposed to be in a popular front with the INC in the state.

:shepicide:

Prakash Karat continues to be the indan gorbachev.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The government of Hong Kong is offering a bounty of up to $1 million to anyone who can help find eight activists who fled to other countries and continue to fight against its authoritarian government.

I am not one of the eight, but all of us who fight for democracy in Hong Kong are in danger from a Chinese government that is chasing us for showing that it has broken its promises to keep Hong Kong a vibrant and free city-state.

I became an activist for democracy in Hong Kong at the age of 14, when I started participating in pro-democracy marches – hardly a radical thing to do. But eventually, when I was 21, I realized I had to leave Hong Kong, knowing that I would be arrested under the newly imposed National Security Law and face charges up to life in prison. Most of the friends I made throughout my activism have either fled or languish in jail.

But leaving doesn’t solve the problem. The government of Hong Kong, directed by China, has sent people to harass us. The eight who are targeted are living in the U.K., the U.S., or Australia. Now, with the bounties, there will be more reason for people to stalk us. And I don’t see any evidence that the democracies that have provided refuge realize how serious this is. Instead of taking steps to hold China accountable, they are trying to create warmer relations.

Four years ago, I was harassed and followed by Chinese spies in Boston, where I organized rallies in support of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement. Although one of the Chinese agents involved, a U.S. citizen, was recently indicted, more needs to be done. Many communities living overseas have endured constant surveillance and harassment by China’s 110 overseas secret police stations. China continues to deny their existence, and very few countries have made them shut down. The outposts of the Hong Kong government, the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Offices, located in 14 cities worldwide, have also been working closely with Chinese consulates to brush off their ongoing records of human rights violations in the city state while maintaining close relationships with world democracies.

It’s the first time Hong Kong has issued official arrest warrants on overseas activists, with bounty eight times more than it would pay for help in arresting a child rapist and three times more than it would offer for a murder. John Lee, the chief executive, said that the eight activists would be “pursued for life.”

Many Hong Kong activists fled Hong Kong in the past three years as the government jailed dissidents who voiced opposition to Beijing. Many have said publicly they will not return to Hong Kong. So why is the government placing these bounties?

The rationale likely rests in geopolitics. The list of wanted activists was evenly distributed among the U.S., the U.K., and Australia, all of which have begun re-engaging with China recently after three years of diplomatic freeze. It’s as if Hong Kong is saying, can we go this far? Further? What will you tolerate? It is testing these democracies, and they are letting China win.

Despite China's persistent repression of dissidents both within and beyond its borders, these countries have continued to prioritize improved ties and deeper economic interests over addressing human rights abuses. Instances of repression, such as the attack on Hong Kong protester Bob Chan in the Chinese consulate ground in Manchester, have not prompted strong action from the U.K. government. Attacks continue to happen against Hongkongers, including two who were recently kicked and manhandled by a group of pro-CCP activists at a rally in Southampton to mark the anniversary of the 2019 Hong Kong movement. Meanwhile in the U.S., the Biden administration has hinted its intention to invite the U.S.-sanctioned John Lee to attend the APEC Summit in San Francisco in November.

By neglecting China's human rights abuses, countries are exacerbating the situation. If they fail to defend their residents and refuse to impose economic and political consequences on China, this stalking and harassment will persist. This lack of action will also set a dangerous precedent, raising the bar for accountability on human rights abusers, like Russia and Iran, and sending a message to the world that their countries are no longer safe for free speech.

The international community, including the countries in which the activists reside as well as all Interpol member states, should prioritize human rights in their policy toward China. Diplomatic engagements should not be pursued that compromise the security of its people.

So far, the U.K, the U.S., and Australia have done nothing to punish China or Hong Kong for this outrageous decision to hunt down people who have entered those countries legally, seeking refuge. It must do something, soon, or the next list will be far longer, and China will understand that it can pursue close relationships without upholding the democratic values of the West.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

>CPM cadre telling folks to vote for BJP in the west bengal elections instead of the INC.
>somehow still supposed to be in a popular front with the INC in the state.

:shepicide:

Prakash Karat continues to be the indan gorbachev.

lol jesus

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

The government of Hong Kong is offering a bounty of up to $1 million to anyone who can help find eight activists who fled to other countries and continue to fight against its authoritarian government.

I am not one of the eight, but all of us who fight for democracy in Hong Kong are in danger from a Chinese government that is chasing us for showing that it has broken its promises to keep Hong Kong a vibrant and free city-state.

I became an activist for democracy in Hong Kong at the age of 14, when I started participating in pro-democracy marches – hardly a radical thing to do. But eventually, when I was 21, I realized I had to leave Hong Kong, knowing that I would be arrested under the newly imposed National Security Law and face charges up to life in prison. Most of the friends I made throughout my activism have either fled or languish in jail.

But leaving doesn’t solve the problem. The government of Hong Kong, directed by China, has sent people to harass us. The eight who are targeted are living in the U.K., the U.S., or Australia. Now, with the bounties, there will be more reason for people to stalk us. And I don’t see any evidence that the democracies that have provided refuge realize how serious this is. Instead of taking steps to hold China accountable, they are trying to create warmer relations.

Four years ago, I was harassed and followed by Chinese spies in Boston, where I organized rallies in support of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement. Although one of the Chinese agents involved, a U.S. citizen, was recently indicted, more needs to be done. Many communities living overseas have endured constant surveillance and harassment by China’s 110 overseas secret police stations. China continues to deny their existence, and very few countries have made them shut down. The outposts of the Hong Kong government, the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Offices, located in 14 cities worldwide, have also been working closely with Chinese consulates to brush off their ongoing records of human rights violations in the city state while maintaining close relationships with world democracies.

It’s the first time Hong Kong has issued official arrest warrants on overseas activists, with bounty eight times more than it would pay for help in arresting a child rapist and three times more than it would offer for a murder. John Lee, the chief executive, said that the eight activists would be “pursued for life.”

Many Hong Kong activists fled Hong Kong in the past three years as the government jailed dissidents who voiced opposition to Beijing. Many have said publicly they will not return to Hong Kong. So why is the government placing these bounties?

The rationale likely rests in geopolitics. The list of wanted activists was evenly distributed among the U.S., the U.K., and Australia, all of which have begun re-engaging with China recently after three years of diplomatic freeze. It’s as if Hong Kong is saying, can we go this far? Further? What will you tolerate? It is testing these democracies, and they are letting China win.

Despite China's persistent repression of dissidents both within and beyond its borders, these countries have continued to prioritize improved ties and deeper economic interests over addressing human rights abuses. Instances of repression, such as the attack on Hong Kong protester Bob Chan in the Chinese consulate ground in Manchester, have not prompted strong action from the U.K. government. Attacks continue to happen against Hongkongers, including two who were recently kicked and manhandled by a group of pro-CCP activists at a rally in Southampton to mark the anniversary of the 2019 Hong Kong movement. Meanwhile in the U.S., the Biden administration has hinted its intention to invite the U.S.-sanctioned John Lee to attend the APEC Summit in San Francisco in November.

By neglecting China's human rights abuses, countries are exacerbating the situation. If they fail to defend their residents and refuse to impose economic and political consequences on China, this stalking and harassment will persist. This lack of action will also set a dangerous precedent, raising the bar for accountability on human rights abusers, like Russia and Iran, and sending a message to the world that their countries are no longer safe for free speech.

The international community, including the countries in which the activists reside as well as all Interpol member states, should prioritize human rights in their policy toward China. Diplomatic engagements should not be pursued that compromise the security of its people.

So far, the U.K, the U.S., and Australia have done nothing to punish China or Hong Kong for this outrageous decision to hunt down people who have entered those countries legally, seeking refuge. It must do something, soon, or the next list will be far longer, and China will understand that it can pursue close relationships without upholding the democratic values of the West.

I'm going to become a bounty hunter to curry favor with the CPC in advance of any upcoming wars, wish me luck

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I'm going to become a bounty hunter to curry favor with the CPC in advance of any upcoming wars, wish me luck

does service guarantee citizenship

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1680135095896932353

third times the charm thaksin

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

The US does the same thing with the FBI's Most Wanted rewards, etc. so who cares? :thunk:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

i'm gonna do it for the love of the game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Horseshoe theory posted:

The US does the same thing with the FBI's Most Wanted rewards, etc. so who cares? :thunk:

yeah nobody complains about the FBI's practices

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i wonder why a communist nation would be acutely aware of the danger of activists in exile

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/KeaweWong/status/1679989148734873600

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

hell yeah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jazerus posted:

i wonder why a communist nation would be acutely aware of the danger of activists in exile

same

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

indigi posted:

yeah nobody complains about the FBI's practices

Only when it's expedient to make hay out of them rather than using them as a cudgel.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/RebeccaYChan/status/1680045485170765824?t=4-TWexif_NVR6uqDKue2wA&s=19

lol wtf

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO I like the idea of cancelling lemon project debts done by previous governments the type that are only there to swap money between their friends and leave the country further indebted to the hegemon. It would collapse the west overnight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's true.

But also, the way it's taught and perceived in the Philippines is that it was Marcos's fault for starting that project in the first place, and then never turning it on.

And then, every other president that came after gets a pass for never turning it on either, because it was built on a fault line, because it's now too old, because nuclear power is unsafe, etc.

The US never gets blamed for having the Philippines build the thing in the first place, or keeping us on the hook for the bill.

In the meantime, every summer* our power grid keeps redlining from all the air-conditioning that runs, due to a lack of power generation, which is mostly from coal-fired plants. It was the Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2001, passed under Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, that completed the privatization of the energy industry, and basically "prevents" the government from directly investing in construction of new power generation.

Of course, this is also combined with Congress demanding that the EPIRA law be amended to prevent foreign ownership of the power generation industry... because 40% of our power grid is now owned by the State Grid Corporation of China.

___

* early last week, we were hitting the red-line alerts again, because global warming combined with El Niño this year means it was still hitting 33C in July, a month into the rainy season. This was followed by record downpours starting Wednesday going into Friday, which caused flash floods all over the country.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, apparently our zoo was treating these pandas like poo poo and the one I took a photo of a few years ago died this year.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/ObtainerOf/status/1679862721620090882?s=20

Dudes rock

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/kyletrainemoji/status/1680243524124516352?s=21&t=9BlA1ZMQlJoSB0W4ivIjUA

china is just stunting on the rest of the world with renewable energy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
um actually i think you'll find that they're cheating by having a government that can do things

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/KyleTrainEmoji/status/1680258858143424512

reason #54764 why china is authoritarian totalitarianism made manifest: putting (rich) people in jail for carbon emission crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

um actually i think you'll find that they're cheating by having a government that can do things

this is the Correct take