Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

So the Western Empire truly died in the 4th century?

Possibly later, they were still minting coins with stuff about the eternal glory of Rome for a few more centuries after the 3rd century. The Empire doesn't really die till the idea of the Empire goes. Which might mean the US is already in the dustbin

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Some sim enthusiasts modelled the Shahed 136 drones in DCS to see what could stop a swarm attack on a fixed target. Like if you wanted to protect a strategic site, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0WZOKKLoY

Not much as it turns out. You basically need a Ticonderoga parked next to the target on point defence role (on tracks presumably if inland). Or you have like 20 SAM / air defence ground units all within BBQ cookout distance of each other.

Do not link the Grim Reapers YouTube. They are racist shitheads.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

I’m not reading all that but your undergrad professor sucks if he thinks that the Goths turned on Rome for no reason

Yeah one of my favorite parts of the story is that the Visigoths really did not want to go to war with Rome, and gave them so many offramps it's kind of incredible.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1679878673283858437

raiding every vassal's warehouse for even scrapped air defense to cope with the flying lawnmowers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Yeah one of my favorite parts of the story is that the Visigoths really did not want to go to war with Rome, and gave them so many offramps it's kind of incredible.

How dare you imply that the Visigoth invasion of Rome was provoked, loving tankie

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Sorry, someone mentioned Late Antiquity and I blacked out. What's up?

did/do you have a lot of Jesuit profs at fancy military history college?

edit: also i read it all first, thx FF, fu lpzie

Gravid Topiary has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Jul 15, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this guy hasnt posted here since this probe lmao

lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i read it all FF, thank you!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lpzie posted:

:agreed:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

In a 10kp world where we all shitpost on 50" monitors this would be a pretty good avatar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lpzie posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lpzie posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

for real much appreciated for the military history posting and related stuff because after reading this thread for a bit I retroactively understand Engels a lot more lol

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
tired : marxist analysis of social and military history
wired : blood and soil nationalist analysis of social and military prehistory

Sorry Frasted Flake but you have no counterargument to this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Do not link the Grim Reapers YouTube. They are racist shitheads.

Okay. I know nothing about that but okay.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let me share a music video more in tune with the current direction of this special military operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1679061889412653063

I guess the only way for Westerners to stop talking about weak, cowardly orcs ready to run away from wunderkat is to personally drive into the pre-registered artillery firing zones themselves.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Let me share a music video more in tune with the current direction of this special military operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The failure at Moscow meant Hitler wasn't going to win the way he wanted.

The failure at Stalingrad meant that the Axis wasn't going to win at all.

The failure at Kursk meant that the defeat would be absolute and unconditional.
it was constant partisan resistance after the balkan campaign that delayed barbarossa by a month, hitting germans with mud/snow conditions earlier than expected, possibly saving the soviets another million or two dead, since they did pretty much all the heavy lifting in breaking the nazi war machine

but i guess he can't mention that either, because the partisans were also dirty commies so yeah, it was italy (a german ally??) and france that broke nazis lol. i get that he's talking about allied invasions, but those happened like 2 years after stalingrad lmfao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1679061889412653063

I guess the only way for Westerners to stop talking about weak, cowardly orcs ready to run away from wunderkat is to personally drive into the pre-registered artillery firing zones themselves.

I'm all for chickenhawks to be the first people drafted and sent into the meatgrinder. Maybe they'll learn what a spine is other than something in their tin of sardines.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wait wtf prigozhin is back?!? Lmfao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

wait wtf prigozhin is back?!? Lmfao

He never left our hearts once we saw that borat outfit.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Megamissen posted:

the secret posting technique you can unlock by having the taliban giving you brain damage

In a way the Taliban has blessed all of us in this thread.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Truga posted:

it was constant partisan resistance after the balkan campaign that delayed barbarossa by a month, hitting germans with mud/snow conditions earlier than expected, possibly saving the soviets another million or two dead, since they did pretty much all the heavy lifting in breaking the nazi war machine

but i guess he can't mention that either, because the partisans were also dirty commies so yeah, it was italy (a german ally??) and france that broke nazis lol. i get that he's talking about allied invasions, but those happened like 2 years after stalingrad lmfao

There's enough wiggle room to pretend Yugoslav partisan activity was being done by the Chetniks, if you love lying.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Endman posted:

When the Germans failed at Stalingrad and were repelled within a mile of the Georgian highway that would have taken them straight to the oil fields it was over. The wheels had started to come off late in 1941, but by the end of 1942 the wheels had flown off in random directions

In the 4-5 months following the start of Barbarossa the German army was effectively demotorized.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it really doesn't matter when barbarossa is launched, the germans would just end up outrunning their supply lines anyway

in fact barbarossa historically went about as well as possible and a lot better than it had any right to, so this whole one weird trick to how the germans could actually have won is some deeply misguided poo poo

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1679741285643452418?s=20

They're trying to get out of handing F16s over to Ukraine, it looks like

It might be because they want to deploy additional F-16 squadrons to the Middle East.

US to send F-16 fighter jets to Gulf amid Iran shipping tensions

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

It might be because they want to deploy additional F-16 squadrons to the Middle East.

US to send F-16 fighter jets to Gulf amid Iran shipping tensions

Turns out when you gently caress up administering your world empire that your military resources get spread thinner than a dab of cheap margarine on a whole loaf of sliced bread.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Truga posted:

Also the Italian Greek campaign being a catastrophe and needing German divisions diverted to help out.

But yeah, Yugo partisans are easily the most ignored part of the war in general Western high school level history. Look at that map posted earlier: the Yugos freed themselves and ended up fielding 4 loving armies doing so. The Brits, French and Canadians combined fielded 4 armies. The US 6 in the West. Yes they’re not fully equivalent, but just think of the Herculean effort that had gone on in the Balkans those 4 years and how much strength that sapped out of the Nazi war machine, and all done under the least favorable conditions (occupation) and thus paid for in a lot of blood.

And yeah, Communists we’re the ones who could organize all that, which is why Churchill wanted to do Overlord in Yugoslavia instead to snuff them out like he did in Greece, before the Nazi defeat was even final, the loving shitgoblin he was.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

sullat posted:

I thought the Vandals beat the Byzantines tho. The Romans had a little foothold in Tunisia but the Vandal kingdom controlled most of the rest of North Africa until the Arabs showed up and beat them both, collapsing the Vandal culture so we don't really have any records of what they had done created .

this is belisarius erasure

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Devil posted:

But yeah, Yugo partisans are easily the most ignored part of the war in general Western high school level history. Look at that map posted earlier: the Yugos freed themselves and ended up fielding 4 loving armies doing so. The Brits, French and Canadians combined fielded 4 armies. The US 6 in the West. Yes they’re not fully equivalent, but just think of the Herculean effort that had gone on in the Balkans those 4 years and how much strength that sapped out of the Nazi war machine, and all done under the least favorable conditions (occupation) and thus paid for in a lot of blood.

Tankies: Ukraine should surrender to save the lives of its people, and it's a sign of how wicked the Ukrainian Government is that they are continuing the resistance against the Russian invaders.

Also tankies: The Yugoslavian partisans were heroes for resisting the occupation of their country, even though it cost the lives of their people.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

Turns out when you gently caress up administering your world empire that your military resources get spread thinner than a dab of cheap margarine on a whole loaf of sliced bread.

oh, like bilbo from using the one ring (imperialism)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Orange Devil posted:

In the 4-5 months following the start of Barbarossa the German army was effectively demotorized.

Yeah, the wheels literally came off

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

fizzy posted:

Tankies: Ukraine should surrender to save the lives of its people, and it's a sign of how wicked the Ukrainian Government is that they are continuing the resistance against the Russian invaders.

Also tankies: The Yugoslavian partisans were heroes for resisting the occupation of their country, even though it cost the lives of their people.

One of these is a battle to prevent the enslavement and extermination of your ethic group by an outside force and liberate you from your oppressor. The other is merely a battle over which almost politically identical oligarch gets to extract resources from your area while keeping you under generic but not existential immiseration.

The difference between d&d and cspam is entirely over which one is which.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

fizzy posted:

That's right.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I'm a great fan of the people who get all fired up and wish for nuclear armageddon because their chosen ogliarch is/isn't winning the fight to loot some resources somewhere, even though regardless of who actually wins they aren't personally going to receive any benefit from it whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fizzy posted:

lol :yooge:oslavians