Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The most straightforward and safe way to use it is to mod it to be phase conjugate (swaps phases before exploding), then phase out before throwing it (which truekin can do with a tonic). You'll be out of phase but the grenade will be in-phase, so it'll blow everything up except you. Modding a hand-e-nuke requires some high end bits, but this would turn it into an actual last resort that can be used without risk of dying.

You can also set grenades as land mines with the appropriate tinkering skill, so you could set it and then eat yondercane or something to teleport to the other end of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Phase-conjugate hand-E-nuke would be real funny with Temporal Fugue, at the cost of possibly dying immediately if you ever Fugue without phasing out first

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Yeah, It would be comically strong but the run ends the first time a clone throws their grenade while in a different phase than you.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Apart from having to find a nuke in the first place or the phase mod tinker recipe, this seems like a tempting mutant build. Just slap precognition on top of phasing and fugue as an extra safety measure and it's good to go.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 13, 2023

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Is there anything that would let you take over a clone and manually control its actions?

EDIT: Also, can you control where and how far away a clone is summoned?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DGM_2 posted:

Is there anything that would let you take over a clone and manually control its actions?

EDIT: Also, can you control where and how far away a clone is summoned?

for literal direct puppeting there's Domination, although i'm not sure it works on Fugue clones

however, there's a pretty sophisticated system for giving your clones orders to move, attack, what skills and powers they're allowed to use, etc. it would be even better if they remembered forbid/prioritize settings from one summoning to the next -- probably my most wanted QoL feature these days

fugue clones spawn directly on top of you with a little bit of randomness in their exact arrangement. it used to be deterministic where they spawned but it led to some really weird behaviors and wasn't really that exploitable anyways

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Blind choices are for suckers. We dig into the exit room, take some drugs, and jump down the elevator shaft, skipping straight to the final floor.

The fall damage here is consistent, but it's important to remember that tonics have stronger effects on truekin than on mutants. If you're following along at home, a mutant character will take around 120 fall damage with a rubbergum injector on, which is much harder to survive.

It still hurts as a truekin, but not that bad.

A girshling and amoeba show up, but between our sniper rifle and the slugsnout they can't get close. No one else follows them, so we heal back to full.

Exiting the room, we are instantly greeted by Slog.

Slog, you're with me. Pig, you're in charge of Golgotha until we get back.

Also, Slog, please stop doing that thing with your sphincter.

We pick up the waydroid to the east...

...and find the credit wedges down south.

For clearing Golgotha under level 18, we get a pretty great gun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yessss, the Sparbine! That'll go real nice with your temporal fugue artifact :unsmigghh:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yessss, the Sparbine! That'll go real nice with your temporal fugue artifact :unsmigghh:

ONLY until we figure out how to spam infinite clone-nukes safely. Eyes on the prize, people. :colbert:

BTW, this thread inspired me to pick up the game and give it a try, and guess what the villagers in Joppa were selling on my very first run? Would you believe: a data disk with the blueprints needed to mass-produce nuclear hand grenades?

Nice to know that this is the kind of world where random small villages just pass that stuff around. Makes me feel so much better about the place.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I'm actually really surprised the slugsnout 1) jumped down after you 2) was seemingly fine with a 5 floor drop?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think followers just kinda teleport after you from screen to screen, they don't need a direct or safe path necessarily. There are some specific factors that cause them to get decoupled (like falling through a space-time vortex) but generally if you go somewhere, they'll be there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Yeah, followers just kind of teleport to the next map with you as soon as you change screens, as long as they’re still able to move. AI followers do it too, if you try to flee offscreen you’ll see that when the leader follows you the whole posse pops in at once.

For an even more niche case, this also applies if the player is a follower - you can’t leave the screen your leader is on, and you’ll automatically appear on the new screen when they travel. This will only ever come up if you’re doing weird bodyswap poo poo, since usually the player can’t be beguiled or proselytized.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

We pick up the quest for Bethesda while we're here.

Q Girl has a credit wedge we want.

Combined with the others we've picked up, we're able to bring our license points up to 10.

Sparafucile is selling the data disk for jacked. We don't have enough int for Tinker II yet, and we don't have any way to benefit from jacked just yet, but we buy it anyway. With the right implant, this mod is one of the best in the game.

On that note, we should start learning to tinker things ourselves. We pick up scavenge and disassemble so we can start building up bits.

Next we head to the Stilt to cash in the books we've found.

Good thing we waited!

Our allies level up as well, but leveling up doesn't help allies as much as it does us - they'll gain skill points, attribute points, and mutation points just like players will, but they never spend them on their own. Unless you can use domination to take over their body and spend their points for them, or install mods to add similar functionality, they'll fall behind over time.

The bookbinders are selling another schroedinger page. Since this one has a chapter specified there's no reason to hold off on using it.

You guys remember uncovering that plot, right? It's not enough to make them neutral, but we're just one more boost away.

With that done we start heading east towards Ezra.

We discover a friendly village as we pass through the mountains.

After a short detour we're rewarded with a sphere of negative weight, a great reward for a weak explorer like ourselves.

We also name our force bracelet, which funnily enough also renames it in the skill bar.

We barely even need the ego boost, but with Snake Oiler in effect we should be hitting the cap on shop prices. Buying stuff is very easy for us, and truekin can really take advantage of good shop prices.

Heh heh heh. This is unlikely to actually matter, you still need the appropriate tinker skill to craft them and you need a ton of int to reach tinker III

Yla Haj has our Ezra recoiler, but more importantly she also has a 3 credit wedge for sale. This is nice, but there's actually an even better merchant to check out now that we're all oiled up.

Our next destination is the Yd Freehold, in the middle of Lake Hinom.

The deep jungle and palladium reef on the way there are both pretty dangerous, but we have wayfaring to keep us from getting lost and a force bracelet if we do get lost, so it's not too risky.

And sure enough, we make it to town without any encounters.

The Yd Freehold is a pretty large and detailed city, but the main quest will never actually take you here. If you can make the trip, however, it's probably the best place to unload your money in the game.

Greeting us on our entrance is Goek, the first Svardym we've met. Svardym show up in Lake Hinom and are usually pretty dangerous enemies, but the ones in town are friendly.

At this point I started heading towards Warden Une when a fight suddenly broke out. Looking back over the screenshots, I think what happened was this:
  • Goek's random reputation stuff had him spawn hated by fish
  • Goek saw the fish in the pond to his right and tried to kill it
  • The warden saw Goek attack the fish and tried to shoot at him
  • Goek aggroed on the warden for shooting him
  • Stray shots hit the asphodelite and a random farmer, who also aggroed on the warden

Worried about potentially losing the warden to infighting, we naturally started up a conversation in the middle of the fight.

Whoa, hey, I didn't mean it sounded like a dying animal in a bad way.

Considering he's hated by the Putus Templar for kinslaying and treason, we can probably make an educated guess.

Une sells some implants, but also has two 3 credit wedges for sale! He doesn't identify implants, so we buy the wedges and blind buy the expensive unknown one for sale.

And we get the best possible result! This is the most important implant for this build, the one that we've really wanted since character creation.

A social coprocessor implant lets you have two allies proselytized at once, instead of just one. The water ritual cost reductions are nice as well, but for a build that relies on recruitment so heavily, a second ally is amazing.

Shopping done, we sit back and watch the fight.

Ruthless.

Goek didn't even have anything very good for us to take :smith:

The cloak is cool for giving 1AV in a slot that doesn't usually give armor, at least.

In the southeast corner of town we chat with a slug rancher.

He's not as enthusiastic about the whole anarchist commune thing as some of the inhabitants, but seems to get by well enough.

Yd is a two-layered town, with a lot of the shops and buildings located underground. In the northeast corner we find the market.

There's two merchants down here. First we meet Krka, the town's apothecary.

:same:

In the bottom right is the consortium merchant for the town, and probably the best guaranteed merchant in the game.

We've blown most of our money on all those credit wedges, but we'll definitely be visiting her a lot in the future.

To the south is the medical center - Yd is probably the best equipped place in Qud if you're sick or injured.

They have a pool of convalescence to lie in

Some hyperbiotic beds and chairs set up in a little garden

And a regeneration tank which always generates loaded and ready to regen some limbs. If you lose a limb in the early game and don't have any ubernostrum, making the trek to Yd can sometimes be your best bet.

They also have a becoming nook for any truekin, complete with a loaded cybernetics rack you can ransack.

Which, for us, happens to have a second social coprocessor.

You can only have one installed at a time, so this doesn't help us at all, but it's very funny.

We spend all our credits and make it all the way up to 15 license points.

We install the coprocessor, and the anomaly fumigator for fun.

West of the market is the town's tinker.

: So much trash! Did a goatfolk bully crash through your workshop?

We'd like to buy a Yd recoiler while we're here, but...

the only one he's selling has a pretty big markup due to all the jewels. We'll see if he has a less jeweled one next visit.

In the upper left is a small library. Nothing to do here, it's just for flavor.

Same for the columbarium on the west edge of the map.

On the surface, the west edge has some monuments documenting the history of the town.

The living quarters are near the entrance, and feature an L shaped hallway that branches off into rooms. The inhabitants are randomized each run.

We've got some goatfolk,

a quillipede,

a dromad merchant,

an empty room,

and adjoining it, a room inhabited by a dog.

We drop a chest and declare ourselves the dog's new neighbor.

With our low strength it's nice to have a stash in each town to drop stuff, and while it's more efficient to have that chest right next to the arrival location or the merchant, sometimes you need to make sacrifices for the sake of the roleplay.

I mean, this place even has a waterbed!

Tucked away on the southern edge of town is the home of many-eyes, one of the town's founders.

They're... not much of a conversationalist.

We were distracted by the fight earlier, but let's check out the central salon. It's a cozy place! They're got an aquarium, lots of chairs, instruments for a band,

a giant frog,

a random schematics drafter,

a... clone of the legendary sultan frozen beneath Bethesda Susa? Sure. Good to see he's finding work.

Let's chat with the frog.

Interestingly, she seems to have met Barathrum himself back in his youth.

Alright, it's a long shot but I have to try:

No luck. I try negging and recruiting Amus a couple times, but I suspect he's too high level for us to be able to recruit him just yet.

There's one last NPC to talk to, by the pond in the northwest of town.

His bit about "thousands of my kinfolk cut down by that poryphyric wasp called Lamb" is presumably talking about Reseph.

No time to speculate on the lore implications, though. Let's check out that clam!

Looks pretty safe to step in to me.

Huh.

Stepping inside a giant clam causes you to pop out of another giant clam somewhere in Qud. We were fine here, but it can potentially drop you somewhere dangerous.

We're done with Yd itself for now, but we head back and check out the outskirts of town.

There's nobody here, but we autoexplore each screen.

Plucking the polyps like this has a very small chance to reveal a dram of sunslag. Normally the potential reward is balanced out by all the dangerous creatures in the biome, but the outskirts of Yd are safe, so it's always worth exploring them just in case.

It's a cool looking area, with all the red coral overgrowing the platinum scaffolding.

On our third or fourth screen we finally get lucky.

Nice! Sunslag is very valuable and can permanently boost your quickness when you drink it.

We manage to find a second one by the time we're done. A nice haul!

With that done we're ready to leave town. Since we got that co-processor implant, I think it's time we go make a new friend.

Literally. We head for the rainbow woods, and find a quiet screen without any sludges spawning.

We pour out some convalescence and wait.

We recruit the newborn sludge, and recoil back to Grit Gate before any more spawn.

You just keep on exuding, buddy.

Remember how sludges work? Each liquid they absorb makes them stronger?

That's still true when they're on our side.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though. I think this little one deserves a name.

Perfect.

We prepare a special treat to celebrate our child's(?) birthday(?)

She's gone all the way from "average" to "very tough"!

As we head for the surface Minmo picks up a couple new fluids left behind from our trip down.

Growing strong and healthy!

Give me the sampler pack, please.

Look how much you've grown :kimchi:

Another present for Minmo

It's true that with her (lack of) ego Minmo will only ever be able to summon a single clone. But I think having two Minmos running around will count for more than 6 Cyphers would.

Next time: Let's find out just how strong Minmo's become.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh god the sludging.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Porphyric" literally means "purple"; the Greek word it comes from was used to describe the purple dye that colored the clothes of the imperial family of the Byzantine Empire.

While there isn't specifically a species called the "purple wasp" there are a number of likely candidates, mainly among digger wasps. Many of them are parasitoid wasps, laying their eggs in other still-living insects (typically paralyzing them in the process) which then eat the host when they hatch.

Resheph's lore is consistent from run to run. He's famous for "cleansing the marshlands of the plagues of the Gyre" -- the Svardym are one of those plagues. While Svardym are kind of notorious for trying to eat people, Mak is understandably quite upset about a genocidal campaign to exterminate his kind from an entire region.

The more interesting implication, though, is the suggestion that perhaps (in addition to being royalty, e.g. "born to the purple") Resheph was himself a parasite -- some kind of Trojan horse foisted upon Qud in the guise of a healer and messiah.

This will be important later when we learn certain facts about Resheph's childhood and adopted family, partly from sultan lore relating to his life which is found semi-randomly, and partly from a later quest which significantly recontextualizes that lore.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 15, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have hundreds of hours in this game and that was a strategy I'd never have considered for getting a very powerful ally

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
<looks at Minmo in awed horror>

Dear lord, this game.

I'm guessing Minmo will get an upgrade when you reach the alchemist in Bethesda. Not that he'll NEED it, most likely.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Now that you can have two allies, can you have two of the same type? Because that would mean you could make another one like Minmo even before any fugue clone nonsense.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snake Maze posted:

Next time: Let's find out just how strong Minmo's become.

I was wondering if sludges could be made into minions since I was curious if them evolving hosed with anything. I'm glad my question's about the be answered. :science:

How many other liquids are there that you could feed to it? If this thing turns out to be a prismatic murdergod, will you go back and make another?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was wondering if sludges could be made into minions since I was curious if them evolving hosed with anything. I'm glad my question's about the be answered. :science:

How many other liquids are there that you could feed to it? If this thing turns out to be a prismatic murdergod, will you go back and make another?

There's a bunch more liquids to go, although you do want to avoid some of them. I could make another one, but it might be nice to keep the other slot free so I can proselytize legendaries for rep or something. Since the sludges actually gain levels when they power up, if we ever dismissed one it would be pretty much impossible to re-recruit them.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
If you pour cloning draught on a sludge, does it clone the horror sludge or just give it a pseudopod that clones things on hit? Or both?

Now you just need to find an artifact that gives the Beguiling mutation so you have yet another minion slot.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

IthilionTheBrave posted:

If you pour cloning draught on a sludge, does it clone the horror sludge or just give it a pseudopod that clones things on hit? Or both?

Now you just need to find an artifact that gives the Beguiling mutation so you have yet another minion slot.

The first option, it clones them but doesn't react with them. It is possible to get a cloning pseudopod instead, but I think you have to use the cloning draught as the initial liquid that gets poured into the primoridal soup for that.

Also, the devs Eaters made it so every time the sludge clones something there's a chance it destabilizes and dies, so while you might be able to stretch your cloning draught out a little farther that way you wouldn't want it for a permanent companion.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If Minmo ever touches lava there's an extremely good chance he'll solidify into rock and instantly die shortly thereafter, so that's something to avoid.

Incidentally, he's currently level 57 with 335 HP.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

At this point I started heading towards Warden Une when a fight suddenly broke out. Looking back over the screenshots, I think what happened was this:
  • Goek's random reputation stuff had him spawn hated by fish
  • Goek saw the fish in the pond to his right and tried to kill it
  • The warden saw Goek attack the fish and tried to shoot at him
  • Goek aggroed on the warden for shooting him
  • Stray shots hit the asphodelite and a random farmer, who also aggroed on the warden

Worried about potentially losing the warden to infighting, we naturally started up a conversation in the middle of the fight.

As much as I love this game, this is one of my least favorite things about it. These characters are so wonderfully written and realized that it just completely takes you out of the game when aggro funkiness happens and they start mercilessly fighting their dear companions to the death. I had a particularly upsetting run where the baruthramites started killing one another because an aggressive waydroid snuck into the compound and they just lost their minds.

In almost every other game I'd love this kind of emergent chaos but Qud is like the one place I wish there was less of it. At the very least I wish some NPCs would run away when damaged instead of instantly going into all-out murder mode.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's exactly one guaranteed merchant in the game who's at least as high tier of a merchant as Tilly and I think is actually one tier up at 8, but that's part of the game's current endgame and is also explicitly not nearly as easily accessible as Tilly even with reprogrammable recoilers.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Since the sludges actually gain levels when they power up, if we ever dismissed one it would be pretty much impossible to re-recruit them.

I was wondering about that. If you try to recruit when you already have the maximum number of companions, how does the game determine which one gets let go? Do you have to choose manually? Is it random, FIFO, etc.?

Obviously you don't want to dismiss Baby Cthulhu by accident...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I want to say its your oldest companion that’s replaced, but I’ll have to double check.

You can always manually dismiss a proselytized follower as well, so either way we should be able to make sure we always keep Minmo with us.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

minmo has grown strong and healthy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I wonder what compute power actually changes in the coprocessor's function? Does it let you gain ridiculous amounts of reputation for doing the water ritual? Does it make asking favours of your allies absurdly cheap? Does it give you the ability to have even more minions?? Maybe it's time to stack palladium electrodeposits and find out!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

We make a quick pitstop at the asphalt mines, since Minmo doesn't have that yet.

If we kept heading down, the asphalt mines eventually have lava start showing up, which is another liquid Minmo doesn't have. But lava is one of the liquids that we'd actually rather avoid. Sure, lava sludges might look cute, but they're very high maintenance. Specifically, if a lava sludge ever ends its turn below the temperature where humans start bursting into flame, it will solidify into a block of shale, killing it instantly. There's no practical way to keep a sludges' temperature up indefinitely, so if Minmo ever absorbs some lava she'll be on a short timer until death no matter how powerful she might be.

Instead we make our way south to Kyakukya. There's a historic site right next door that we'll check out soon, but first let's take care of some business in town.

If you remember, the warden wants us to kill his elder brother, Mamon Souldrinker, and retrieve the amaranthine prism.

He's also willing to teach us how to intimidate things. Intimidate is a lot like menacing stare - an ego based attack that makes hostiles flee in terror - but where menacing stare is a ranged, single target ability, intimidate targets all of the squares adjacent to us. Between the two of them we're pretty good at playing keepaway while our allies take care of things.

South of town we find the river. We have to follow it for a while to reach Mamon's lair - this part of the quest is basically an endurance test to see if you can handle jungle enemies.

Gaining limbs also causes sludges to gain quickness, so at this point Minmo is taking two turns for every one of ours. She usually dashes up to the goatfolk and rends them asunder before we have time to react.

You are already dead.

We keep following the river.

Since Minmo moves so much faster than us, and the log doesn't report on ally combat, a lot of the time she just dashes off out of view and then we get exp. Or, in this case, we get stunned and then wake up to find the enemies disappeared.

We get a level for our expert management skills.

At one point Minmo gets caught out by three goatfolk sowers who all get to unload their grenades on her before she takes them out, bringing her health all the way down to 'injured'. This is where we find the one downside to sludges - since they have a willpower of 1, they recover health very, very slowly.

It takes over two ingame days for her to get back to top shape. (Although, her blood pseudopod has a health drain effect, so in the middle of a fight she might still be able to heal a bit that way)

Continuing along the river, we find a house with some interesting contents.

Looks like we're on the right track.

Slog does pretty well in a fight himself, when he actually gets to fight. It's just that Minmo usually pinballs around eviscerating everyone before he can get close.

As we keep going we find the trees and river stained with blood. That means we're almost there.

Minmo found a seeker legendary, I guess.

I never even saw the guy.

Espers are pretty powerless against Minmo. Some creatures, like robots, are conscious in a way that doesn't connect them to the psychic sea, so mental attacks don't work on them. You can't sunder a robot's mind, or beguile it into serving you, or confuse it. Sludges are the same, so most espers can't attack Minmo at all.

The village itself is occupied with more goatfolk.

Minmo melts through them like usual.

In the northeast we find our target. Minmo has already started rocketing towards him.

One turn later. Minmo is adjacent but hasn't attacked yet.

One more turn, and Minmo kills Mamon in a single vomit-filled round of combat. Sludge pseudopods don't follow the usually rules for offhand attacks - instead, the sludge always attacks with all their pseudopods. A highly-evolved sludge is one of the most dangerous melee attackers in Qud even if you ignore all of the special effects they trigger.

Recall Story posted:

The Black Glass

"Hmm?" Uri the jeweler mumbled with a stone in his hand.

"Lapis, from the Shore of Songs," said the boy.

"And, hmm?"

"Jasper. Red Rock."

Uri furrowed his brow. "Don't heed the tale of every thirsty fool, boy."

The boy seemed to ignore him. He pointed to a small, dusky shard the jeweler kept in a phial on the high shelf of a pine cabinet. "Did it madden Priam, truly?"

Uri glanced over his shoulder at the black glass and sighed. "Indeed, boy. Though I've heard it told all kings are mad. Who else would think themselves fit to rule as Eaters?"

"From which shore was it culled?" asked the boy.

"None of this world. Do you know the tale of Ptoh?"

"No," the boy lied.

"When the Eaters lived and skirred the stars, they visited the worlds of a thousand thousand different beings, and those beings likewise visited our own world. Several of those beings had assembled a coven that spanned the firmament, and they welcomed the Eaters into its fold. For ages the civilizations of the coven knew kindness and prosperity, and to all reaches of the clustered cosmos did the domain of the coven stretch. One of the beings of the coven hailed from a faraway and darkling star. With Its mind It could fold the fabric of space and time as you or I might fold a supper cloth. To the coven It was known as Ptoh."

"For reasons we can but fathom the civilizations of the stars indicted Ptoh. It was the will of the coven that It be held on our very world in the bondage of the Eaters. They contrived for Ptoh a prison from which It could not fold Itself away, and there Ptoh languished for eons. In time, the Eaters left or perished, and the coven was forgotten to our world. Yet here Ptoh remains imprisoned."

"And what of the black prism?" asked the boy.

"A handful of black sand, drawn from the shores of a dreary rock that spun about Ptoh's star. The sands were fired in the burning gases of that star and cooled suddenly when Ptoh appeared in Qud a moment thence. It is said that Ptoh bestowed the glass to an ancient custodian of Its prison so that the man might free It. Once the man had chosen to wield the glass, it began to mantle with an amaranthine hue. You see, those that peer through its faces are given to fits of madness, for they see the world by the light of Ptoh's star, and they see themselves as Ptoh does."

"What will become of it? Does it frighten you?"

"Immensely. I mean to see it destroyed. But it bears the properties of no earthly glass, and my guild would never forgive me if I forsook the chance to study it first. It was the jewelers who bartered the thing from Priam's grieving sister. Now, enough of this splendor. You are to study still." Uri lifted another stone. "Hmm?"

But the boy's eyes stayed fixed on the prism.

We take the amaranthine prism. +1 ego -1 will might seem like a pretty weak effect for such an important item, but there's actually more to it than appears at first glance. The bonus from the prism grows as you keep it equipped, getting stronger every 4 ingame days. It'll go to +2/-2, then +3/-3, and so on with no upper limit. Since ego gives bonus levels to mental mutations, this can turn esper characters into extremely powerful glass cannons. Even we would benefit from it, as the ego bonus would get big enough that we could proselytize character 10+ levels higher than us.

The prism does have a couple minor downsides on top of the will penalties, however.
  • The amarantine prism cannot be unequipped, ever.
  • When your will hits 0 Ptoh consumes your mind, killing you instantly

We'll just turn it in to Indrix.

It's certainly true that a powerful warrior slew Mamon.

The rewards for this quest are random mid-high tier weapons and artifacts. We're not interested in the melee weapons, and we've been getting the skills for rifles rather than pistols, so we go with the coolest option, the rocket skates.

Rocket skating is like sprinting (doubles move speed, ends when you do something other than move), but it lasts indefinitely instead of having a time limit. It also causes puffs of flame to come out behind us, which looks cool and means we'll light a decent portion of the screen on fire if we wear them in a forest. We'll actually be able to keep up with Minmo now!

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 17, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

• The amarantine prism cannot be unequipped, ever.

Unless you use precognition/a sphynx salt injector before equipping it, then revert to the start of your vision :v:

(Doing this really annoys highly entropic beings, which I find very funny)

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I'm just waiting for you to find the Alchemist, get access to every liquid in the game and upgrade Baby Cthulhu here from "one-slime army" to straight-up Cosmic Horror.

BTW, can't you use healing items on her?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Can you make a follower equip the prism?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DGM_2 posted:

convalessence should work, though it'll still take a while

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 17, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Can you make a follower equip the prism?

Yes. They'll even equip it on their own, if they think it's better than their current floating nearby item. It works the same way it does for the player, with the strengthening bonus culminating in instant death. If an ally uses it like this it keeps its current power level when they die, so you can't just rotate through a bunch of recruits this way - even if you have an endless source of esper followers, eventually the prism will be so strong equipping it would kill them instantly.

DGM_2 posted:

We can use a salve injector on Minmo when she's adjacent to us. Since the healing from salves scales with the target's level this is a lot of healing, though of course being adjacent might be hard when she can move faster than us. (The rocket skates will help with that part, at least)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Snake Maze posted:

of course being adjacent might be hard when she can move faster than us. (The rocket skates will help with that part, at least)

Give her a salve or a small stack of salves? She’s a hell of a companion and I was always bummed when I lost a cool follower doing a leader build. (This gradually made me migrate towards using more and more replaceable followers, then finding followers more trouble than they were worth for avoiding friendly fire etc, then led me towards munchkin-tinker builds)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
did you intentionally roll a character whose primary weapon would be the thing that killed your last character

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dr_Gee posted:

did you intentionally roll a character whose primary weapon would be the thing that killed your last character

In fairness, this is often a pretty viable strategy in Qud. The inevitable death to turrets, for instance, teaches you that guns absolutely kick rear end in this game

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Guns are really good. There's no weapon switching or anything in Qud, you just always have your guns ready as long as they are equipped in a ranged weapon slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Dr_Gee posted:

Kind of? I always wanted to show off sludge recruitment (I was hoping to pick one up on the way out with Stabtail), but it was what tipped me over the edge to go with this build instead of a tinker truekin.

Although to be honest Minmo is kind of overshadowing the build's real strength, which is just having proselytize with 100% success rate when fighting level appropriate enemies. When proselytize is guaranteed instead of a coinflip it's the most powerful skill in the game, a perfectly accurate instant kill that also gives you a disposable ally to fight for you. With the coprocesser on top of it you can go through a whole dungeon just making the inhabitants all kill each other off without ever getting your own hands dirty.