Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Apple used to offer a no-ask device replacement for 2/3 of the unit value but, once they moved to discrete part swap/repair, battery needs to be at less than 80% for "e-waste reduction".

Is there a way to check that on the iPad? I didn’t spot it checking in the Battery settings just now. Coconut Battery I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got some older ipads that I'd like to assess battery health on, should I care about cycles or is there somewhere I can actually see the same number Apple's diagnostic would?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nitsuga posted:

Is there a way to check that on the iPad? I didn’t spot it checking in the Battery settings just now. Coconut Battery I suppose?

It’s not shown on iPads by default, you need a special diagnostic profile or the Apple magic debug kit to read it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

It’s not shown on iPads by default, you need a special diagnostic profile or the Apple magic debug kit to read it.

Get coconut battery for MacOS (not sure about Windows). You can connect your iOS device via usb and get the info too.

edit: Eeek. My iPad Air is barely a year old and is down to 83% battery.

double edit: When I bought the iPad, I got the normal 2yr coverage. I don't think month to month was available yet at the time. Can I switch to monthly now, or can I change it right before my current coverage ends?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 12, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Disappointing Pie posted:

My 3rd Gen iPad Pro still runs everything I throw at it perfectly fine but the battery life is getting abysmal, I need to be near a cable if I plan on using it for more than 4-5 hours which isn't bad but considering I think I used to get 12+ hours out of it, it's not great. I noticed a while back Apple offers battery services for iPad Pro's pretty cheap, like $99-$129. So I made an appointment and took it in.

They said give them like 20 minutes to run some diagnostics and they'll see what they can do for me. So I wander around for a while and finally my Apple guy waves me down and hands me back the iPad stating sorry, according to their diagnostics my battery is still healthy enough to not warrant a battery service operation. I was just like uhh, OK. I asked him, you offer a service through your site, I am 100% willing to pay this price for the service, but you guys just won't do the service if you don't determine the device is poor enough yet? He's like well, does it still hold a charge? I said yeah for maybe a 1/3 of the time it used to. I just kept voicing the frustration that the site doesn't mention really anything that the service was contingent on Apple deciding the battery was degraded enough for service.

He just kept apologizing saying there was no way for me to override it, but if I wanted to come back in a few hours a higher up might be able to make a different decision. I was just like well screw it. I dunno, that seemed really anti Apple Customer Service that I've come to expect from them.

So I did some research when I get home and I guess they don't even swap the battery they just straight up give you a refurbished iPad Pro, which I mean that does make a little more sense on why they'd be strict on that service, it just seems weird they offer it but won't do it.

Try calling instead- they can run that same diagnostic over the phone and if you don't get an answer you like there's always 2nd level support for the asking without having to wait at Auntie Anne's.. All they're really looking at is the # of cycles on the battery and what % of max it still holds. https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

If you're running it down daily and have had it that long you have to be brushing up against both those 1000 cycles and 80% max.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get coconut battery for MacOS (not sure about Windows). You can connect your iOS device via usb and get the info too.

edit: Eeek. My iPad Air is barely a year old and is down to 83% battery.

double edit: When I bought the iPad, I got the normal 2yr coverage. I don't think month to month was available yet at the time. Can I switch to monthly now, or can I change it right before my current coverage ends?

I believe when coverage is about to expire they give you the option

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Try calling instead- they can run that same diagnostic over the phone and if you don't get an answer you like there's always 2nd level support for the asking without having to wait at Auntie Anne's.. All they're really looking at is the # of cycles on the battery and what % of max it still holds. https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

If you're running it down daily and have had it that long you have to be brushing up against both those 1000 cycles and 80% max.

I could really go for a pretzel or Cinnabon though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jose Oquendo posted:

3u Tools on Windows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe a stupid question, but are the current-gen iPad Pros the same form factor (camera cutout etc) as the 2020 11"? Context is that the keyboard folio I have is peeling pretty badly but the iPad itself is still perfectly fine. That said, I *may* upgrade it at some point soon through some work discounts so I guess what I'm asking is if I buy the keyboard folio (not the stiff trackpad one) for my 2020 Pro, can I carry that over to the current gen 11" Pro?

When I upgraded from my 2018, the 2018 folio had a different camera cutout so while it technically worked, it didn't lay flat against the 2020 Pro.

Visually they look the same so I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone knows for sure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
2020-2022 all have the same square camera bump, yeah.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but are the current-gen iPad Pros the same form factor (camera cutout etc) as the 2020 11"? Context is that the keyboard folio I have is peeling pretty badly but the iPad itself is still perfectly fine. That said, I *may* upgrade it at some point soon through some work discounts so I guess what I'm asking is if I buy the keyboard folio (not the stiff trackpad one) for my 2020 Pro, can I carry that over to the current gen 11" Pro?

When I upgraded from my 2018, the 2018 folio had a different camera cutout so while it technically worked, it didn't lay flat against the 2020 Pro.

Visually they look the same so I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone knows for sure.

That should be fine. There was a minor change for the 12.9” with the m1 gen, but the 11” are compatible end to end.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Any idea what could cause phantom touch responses along the right side of an iPad? The battery isn't visibly swelling or anything and the iPad doesn't look damaged in any way.

Its also inconsistent, only happening once and a while.

Its an 5th gen, so its vintage. :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Any idea what could cause phantom touch responses along the right side of an iPad? The battery isn't visibly swelling or anything and the iPad doesn't look damaged in any way.

Its also inconsistent, only happening once and a while.

Its an 5th gen, so its vintage. :(

If the screen is facing you, the mobo is the left quarter of the tablet. The right three-quarters is the battery.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean a pair of calipers can't.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Stage manager is finally not intentionally hobbled on iPadOS 17. Wonder how this will work on an external display.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

buglord posted:

Stage manager is finally not intentionally hobbled on iPadOS 17. Wonder how this will work on an external display.

What's the change?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hughlander posted:

What's the change?

Sorry that was a dumb post of mine. You can resize windows now with Stage Manager and there aren’t (as few) arbitrary sizes. There’s still some snapping regions but it’s far easier to use now. I really wonder why this wasn’t there in the first place.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

buglord posted:

Sorry that was a dumb post of mine. You can resize windows now with Stage Manager and there aren’t (as few) arbitrary sizes. There’s still some snapping regions but it’s far easier to use now. I really wonder why this wasn’t there in the first place.

Because the feature was rushed out before it was fully baked. Aka an Apple 1.0

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I can’t imagine I’m the only person who uses their 5th gen iPad Air as a VNC client when iPadOS gets too claustrophobic, so just in case -

I was looking for a geometry setting to use for vncserver on my closet NUC running Ubuntu. One that won’t trigger RealVNC’s automatic zoom in/out on connection, and isn’t too high resolution to use over a bad connection. For my iPad Air 5, 1280x846 works pretty well - obviously not the highest rez but looks sharp enough for me.

To set that resolution to default when launching vncserver, I created ~/.vncrc, and added
code:
$geometry = “1280x846”;
and that’s it. Thanks for reading hope it helps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weird question but does iPadOS have a baked in VNC viewer like MacOS?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Need a case for a 12.9" pro that has both keyboard and a secure way to hold the pencil.. apple and logitech ain't making one, can anyone recommend one from one of the chinese brands that show up on amazon?

I'd prefer no trackpad but it's not a dealbreaker. I'd also like if it didn't make the thing insanely thick when folded up, a scan of the amazon options show some extremely thick keyboards.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Need a case for a 12.9" pro that has both keyboard and a secure way to hold the pencil.. apple and logitech ain't making one, can anyone recommend one from one of the chinese brands that show up on amazon?

I'd prefer no trackpad but it's not a dealbreaker. I'd also like if it didn't make the thing insanely thick when folded up, a scan of the amazon options show some extremely thick keyboards.

NYT Wirecutter recommends this:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/out/link/46607/174185/4/134791/?merchant=Amazon
No touchpad, has a way to secure the pencil.

Article:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-ipad-pro-keyboard-cases/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great recommendation, thanks!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

As the weirdo who used stage manager like every day for work until I got rid of my iPad, I didn’t mind the snapping regions too much, even on an external display. The thing that did push me over the edge - and I realise this makes me a crazy person - was the weird huge blobby cursor and general feeling of scrolling through stuff on an external display. I didn’t mind that the cursor disappears into interactables and it’s kinda cool (I guess) that they’re using this as a chance to reinvent what a computer looks and feels like. But also when you’re at a desk with a monitor you just want everything to feel (and look!) a bit more… refined? Which honestly navigation and functionality aside, is a big thing MacOS still has over iOS with a trackpad and keyboard.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
it's time to finally replace my 1st-gen iPad Pro, and I'm probably going to get the current 11" Pro. Looks like going from 512GB to 1TB also doubles the RAM, but it's also like $400 more than the 512GB version. Any thoughts on if that's at all worth it? Is there a significant difference in performance?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

it's time to finally replace my 1st-gen iPad Pro, and I'm probably going to get the current 11" Pro. Looks like going from 512GB to 1TB also doubles the RAM, but it's also like $400 more than the 512GB version. Any thoughts on if that's at all worth it? Is there a significant difference in performance?

It’s generally not worth it unless you are doing something crazy intensive with your iPad. I wouldn’t bother personally.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I personally have never needed it, even when I was opening multi-gigabyte TIFFs to edit in Affinity Photo.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Thanks, I figured that was the case but thought I'd ask. Any version is gonna be a huge upgrade from my current one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks, I figured that was the case but thought I'd ask. Any version is gonna be a huge upgrade from my current one.

I think it would be worthwhile if you’re doing like, mobile video editing or stuff in the specifically Pro apps? Otherwise it’s overkill and should be for the foreseeable future - the iPad Pro specs are, well, Pro!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I always think of the iPad Pro line as being 'new' but the first ones dropped Fall 2015. You're definitely due for an upgrade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Get a refurb M1 unless you're actually doing video editing with Final Cut Pro, where it shows a significant speed boost with the M2 instead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Arivia posted:

I think it would be worthwhile if you’re doing like, mobile video editing or stuff in the specifically Pro apps? Otherwise it’s overkill and should be for the foreseeable future - the iPad Pro specs are, well, Pro!

yeah I don't plan on doing any video stuff with it

Mister Facetious posted:

Get a refurb M1 unless you're actually doing video editing with Final Cut Pro, where it shows a significant speed boost with the M2 instead.

Good thought, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

My M1 MacBook Air had 8gb ram which I think is the same as the base iPad Pro? And that runs fine with a lot of things open, including capture one for image editing. It’s probably going to be fine. My old 2018 iPad Pro has 4gb ram and is also still a beast

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

yeah I don't plan on doing any video stuff with it

Good thought, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Been very happy with mine so far!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Do…do you wanna sell it?

I want that sweet, sweet 120Hz screen.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kirios posted:

Do…do you wanna sell it?

I want that sweet, sweet 120Hz screen.

1st gen Pro is 60.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

there is not much of a reason to buy an 8 year old ipad

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ah my apologies, didn’t realize it was only 60.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
It also has a cracked screen and the battery tends to get hot and drain super fast when I’m doing anything beyond the most basic tasks. If someone really wanted it I’d be happy to sell for very cheap but I’ll probably just keep it and maybe occasionally use it to play music or something or let my nieces play games on it when they are over

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife has an aging iPad 5th gen that’s complaining about being out of storage.

I haven’t been able to muster the effort to actually fix it so I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. It’s tied to her main iCloud account and she’s not exactly a person of great data hygiene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bolind posted:

My wife has an aging iPad 5th gen that’s complaining about being out of storage.

I haven’t been able to muster the effort to actually fix it so I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. It’s tied to her main iCloud account and she’s not exactly a person of great data hygiene.

If it's a stock 32g, it's going to be pretty much impossible to keep it from going out of storage with the current os eating up to 12-16g stock with nothing on it. I would suggest to move to a 9th gen at least to solve the problem(by getting a faster chip, ram and more storage).